Rob Daum: Oilers housecleaning continues

Robin Brownlee
June 15 2010 09:10AM

The Edmonton Oilers have decided Rob Daum isn't the head coach they want behind the bench when they open up their AHL shop in Oklahoma City next season.

After three years in the organization as a coach, including a one-year stint as an assistant to Craig MacTavish with the Oilers and parts of two seasons as coach of the Springfield Falcons, Daum has been told he's not in the plans.

While Daum, 52, enjoyed nothing but success in a decade with the Alberta Golden Bears before joining the Oilers, he couldn't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse in Springfield.

That inability to get results -- with what was essentially an injury riddled ECHL defensive corps last season and a team without a legit AHL starter in goal this season -- in Springfield has cost him his job.

Or maybe Daum didn't have enough pizzazz or marquee value to sell tickets in Oklahoma City -- I don't know the Oilers thinking behind the move because they have yet to comment or even announce they gave Daum the bad news last week.

Perhaps they'll get around to it this week.

BY THE NUMBERS

The Falcons were 25-39-0-16 under Daum this season after going 8-17-0-5 with the former two-time CIS coach of the year behind the bench in 2008-09, a campaign in which he took over from Jeff Truitt as a late-season replacement.

In an off-season of change, one that has already seen the Oilers sack assistant GM Kevin Prendergast, long-time equipment manager Barrie Stafford, assistant Lyle Kulchisky and athletic therapist Ken Lowe, Daum becomes the latest to be shown the door.

While it's difficult to put a positive spin on Daum's record in Springfield, player development, generally speaking, carries as much weight as wins and losses do at the minor league level. There's no question in my mind that Daum is a proven teacher of the game.

The truth is, Daum, who compiled one of the most successful records in CIS history with an overall slate of 345-79-32 (.792) on the way to three CIS championships and six conference titles, didn't have much to work with in the mire that has been the Oilers farm system.

If the Oilers really want a fresh start in Oklahoma City, they had better address the lack of depth of talented prospects and time-tested minor league veterans that's plagued this organization since they got back into the business of actually operating an AHL team. So far, they haven't been very good at it.

Daum wasn't the problem.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#1 The Towel Boy
June 15 2010, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Bummer. Well, when the farm team sucks again this year they'll realize that maybe it's the roster makeup and not the coach. Heeeeyyy...this sounds familiar.

Avatar
#2 baggedmilk
June 15 2010, 01:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

But what does this have to do with what Taylor Hall is doing? Nothing. Jesus Brownlee, don't you know the Oilers have the first overall pick this year? Didn't you know a sneeze from Taylor Hall can bring snow to deserts, rain to Africa, and peel the very fabric from the nation's women all at once? DID YOU KNOW THAT, BROWNLEE!?!?!?

*smoke bomb*

Avatar
#3 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 09:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

This is Daum paying the price for the crap job Prendergast did for years. I dont like it, and I dont like the months it took for Tambellini to let the guy know. Tambellini has shown me nothing to suggest he acts with any degree of class.

Avatar
#4 Milli
June 15 2010, 09:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Ya, how do you sack a coach when most of his roster was in edmonton? I am really enjoying the "lack of class" Tambo seems to be bringing to the organization!

Avatar
#5 Ambassador humantorch
June 15 2010, 09:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

How many more employees need to get sacked before Lowe takes the gaspipe? That's the only question I need answered.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Guess what if they don't like it speak up and tell Tambo that they won't be back. Odds are if your contract is up in a couple weeks or a month and your employer hasn't contacted you about an extension that you probably aren't in the long-term plans.

Avatar
#7 Harlie
June 15 2010, 10:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Woogie wrote:

We are also under the impression Daum just found out last week. I could bet, at least I hope, Tambo has talked with Daum and he know it was going to be coming down to this. Or someone talked to Daum on Tambo's behalf. I can't imagine such a big disconnect. He's the GM of a multi million dollar organisation. Us fans just assume things when we aren't in the "know" and fill in the blanks with the worst case scenarios

Just like when Sourray was crying that Tambo never talked to him. I would bet you the training staff talked to Sourray who then talk to Tambo to report everything.

what do you mean "we are under the impression Daum just found out last week"? Brownlee already confirmed that was true. So there is no impression or otherwise.

And I think the rest of your post is probably in-accurate on how the chain of communication works but I'd like Robin or Gregor or someone more in the know to confirm or deny that.

Avatar
#8 JohnQPublic
June 15 2010, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

No, Daum wasn't the problem, but it's pretty obvious that the Oilers are breaking with the recent past.

And given their four year non-playoff performance, it's hard to argue with even if injuries have riddled the team for several years.

This is a culture shift and the only way to produce that effectively is to blow up the current one.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Bucknuck

Same was said about MacT and where is he now?

Avatar
#10 The Duke of Hafford
June 15 2010, 01:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

One thing that is certain...there is no pleasing an Oilers fan. When things are going bad we scream for change and when change happens we scream some more.

I thought that change is what we wanted....we should just be happy that we are finally seeing some.

Avatar
#11 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 04:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

He was a problem. He just wasnt THE problem.

Avatar
#12 Bandwagon jumper
June 17 2010, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I think the housecleaning of Daum and the support staff all point to one thing. Tambo is trying to make it apprear like he is making changes to this team. What we will see is that with the exception of adding a Tyler or Taylor next week, this team will look pretty much the same as it does now. Expect to see Souray and Pisani and Moreau and O'Sullivan in an Oiler jersey next year.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't think Daum was the problem at the sametime did he get more out of anyone? I'm not exactly shocked that he was let go, kinda curious who is brought in to replace him.

Stauffer did say by the 16th or so we should find out the coaching situation, he doesn't seem that far out.

Avatar
#14 David S
June 15 2010, 09:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What?

I feel bad for Rob. Looks like he got caught up in a situation where senior management had to prove to the public they were "doing things".

~By firing Daum, they're showing that everybody is accountable for winning at the Oilers organization.~

Avatar
#15 yegCopywriter
June 15 2010, 09:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hope he finds a job. A coach like that shouldn't be out of work.

Avatar
#16 Ender
June 15 2010, 09:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Class aside, I'm not sure it's a very smart hockey move. There are only so many qualified hockey people that can do the job Daum did. Cutting a qualified guy loose makes no sense unless you've already got someone better lined up.

I'm going to give Tambi the benefit of the doubt here (crosses fingers) and say he hasn't lost his mind and that he's already quietly lined up a very good replacement before giving Daum the news.

[come on, Tambi; don't be the completely-lost ass everyone says you are . . .]

Avatar
#17 Dan the Man
June 15 2010, 09:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Scotty Bowman couldn't have won with the team in Springfield last year.

Poor choice by the organization and it sounds like it's being handled poorly as well.

Avatar
#18 misfit
June 15 2010, 09:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

He didn't have much to work with last year between his own injuries and losing players as Oilers injury replacements, but he's been with the Oilers in a few different roles and it's hard to find (at least with the access I have) evidence of how he's made a positive impact on the Oilers during his time here.

He seems like a pretty decent guy from what I understand, so I hope he lands on his feet, but I don't really have a problem with this move from an Oiler perspective. But a lot of that depends on how they end up replacing him.

Avatar
#19 Mike
June 15 2010, 09:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not sure why everyone thinks this is a bad move. Rob is a great guy, but that doesn't mean he is a great coach.

Sure he was great in the CIS, where the Bears have a massive recruiting advantage. They normally get most of the top 20 year WHL grads.

As a head coach in the AHL he has missed the playoffs three out of four years. I know at that level the talent you have is a big factor in winning.

But which players had he developed that are ready for the NHL. That is true evaluation of an AHL coach.

This is just my thought process. Rob is a great guy, by all accounts, but this is a business based on winning and developing and his track record isn't great. Doesn't mean it is all his fault, but those are the facts.

Avatar
#20 Harlie
June 15 2010, 09:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

so after letting Daum twist in the wind for weeks and weeks while his contract expired they finally tell him that they don't want him? Man, this org is getting embarrassing with the way they treat employees. Tambellini is turning into a real jack ass the way he has handled his personnel.

Avatar
#21 Nate Full of Hate
June 15 2010, 09:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tambi is playing a game of Hot&Cold

and he's getting warmer...warmer...warmer...

AIM HIGHER!

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Harlie

Is it possible that maybe they wanted someone from Chicago or Philadelphia or even someone who just finished in the AHL finals? Why jump the gun in firing Daum and then end up with no one?

Avatar
#23 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
June 15 2010, 09:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't know what they can expect from this guy when damn near all of his top performers are playing with the Oilers (Pouliot, Stone, Potulny, JFJ, Dubnyk, Chorney, Peckham...etc)

You can't win in the NHL with an AHL roster AND you can't win in the AHL with a bloody ECHL/AA roster.

I feel for Daum and I hope he is offered a job somewhere else in the near future because that guy is gold.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ambassador humantorch

I have a feeling if the changes Tambo made makes this team better that maybe you see Lowe stepping down and taking on a role with Hockey Canada. Until then there is nothing saying that Tambo is doing any better.

Avatar
#25 Trakor
June 15 2010, 09:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Daum wasn't the problem but that doesn't mean he is the right man for the job either.

My guess is Tambellini will go with a younger coach from the Junior ranks.

Avatar
#26 VMR
June 15 2010, 10:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ender

I think your off when you say there are only so many qualified hockey people, there are tons of guys just looking for a chance. Daum had some good points but it's hard to say they'll have trouble finding at least as good a replacement.

Now if Kelly Buchberger ends up behind the bench then it's time to form a lynch mob with pitch forks, tar and feather, burning torches and the whole deal because his continued career as a coach despite his failures shows signs of some form of insanity in the Oilers upper management.

Avatar
#27 Harlie
June 15 2010, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Is it possible that maybe they wanted someone from Chicago or Philadelphia or even someone who just finished in the AHL finals? Why jump the gun in firing Daum and then end up with no one?

I fail to see how letting Daum go a few weeks or even a month ago would make the Oielr's position worse to land a new Coach from where you are thinking. How could that affect them?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Harlie

What I'm saying is maybe they have their eye on only a few guys and if they can't get those guys then they stay with Daum. Also Daum's contract expires at the end of this month when should Daum have been let go?

If it was right after the season people would b#tch that it's a knee jerk reaction. If it would've been a few weeks ago people would b$tch that Tambo should be focusing on Hall/Seguin. If he waits til 2 weeks left in his contract it's too late and not honorable.

Avatar
#29 shootler
June 15 2010, 10:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

i agree that the Oilers need to be seen as acting with more class.

Avatar
#30 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ender wrote:

Class aside, I'm not sure it's a very smart hockey move. There are only so many qualified hockey people that can do the job Daum did. Cutting a qualified guy loose makes no sense unless you've already got someone better lined up.

I'm going to give Tambi the benefit of the doubt here (crosses fingers) and say he hasn't lost his mind and that he's already quietly lined up a very good replacement before giving Daum the news.

[come on, Tambi; don't be the completely-lost ass everyone says you are . . .]

I also hope Tambi has lined up a quality replacement, but Class will go a long way in attracting potential employees down the road. It'll be hard to poach scouts and coaches when the word is out that they will be treated poorly. There are always going to be people that will jump at the chance to have the open jobs, but those guys wont be at the top of the wish list.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Who has been treated poorly?

Avatar
#32 Quicksilver ballet
June 15 2010, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Nepotism at its finest...how long till they name Ron Delorme as the next head coach of this AHL team? Tambo must be clearing out all the U of A alumni....is Bum Stauffer next?

I thought Buchberger would be the next one to go.... the mess he left in Springfield three years ago must have eliminated him as a possible candidate for Oklahoma. Could be a ploy to bring in a greenhorn coach and force the locals/media to give him a year or two before they pounce on him, could take a few more years to even have a competitive team in Oklahoma .

Avatar
#33 Homie
June 15 2010, 10:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Its too bad he didn't get a chance to work with a better roster in Oklahoma City, but I don't think that his Golden Bear record is proof that he is an excellent coach. Who hasn't done well with that team in the last 20 years other than Peter Esdale? Otherwise, it seems that Daum has bounced around since he left the campus.

It'll be interesting to see who the Oilers bring in to run that team and hopefully put together a farm system that helps rather than hurts the Oiler prospects.

Avatar
#34 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Who has been treated poorly?

Daum and various scouts and other people in the coaching staff have been waiting in limbo for several weeks now, not sure of their status going forward. The hiring window for these guys is relatively short, if Tambellini knew he wasnt going with these guys he could have let them know so they could get involved in the competitions for other jobs. There's no sense in keeping them on the hook this long if they know they arent in the plans down the road.

I dont like the rumblings that there are a whole bunch of guys who have no idea how they will be making a living in a month because Tambellini has refused to act quickly. I have no doubts that the more Tambellini strings guys along, the more word will spread across the hockey community about how business is done here.

Avatar
#35 Harlie
June 15 2010, 10:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

I see your points.

But I'm not sure if you heard Daum on the radio the past few weeks and how uncomfortable it sounded whenever Bob or whoever else asked him what his status was and he would say that he hadn't heard anything yet, that he was still thinking positive and that as far as he was concerned he was looking forward to getting back to work as soon as he got the word. It was tough to listen to on the radio and I'm sure it was tough to take the news for him.

Either way we will move on as an organization but I believe that people should be let go more gracefully and with enough time to get a headstart on other options especially if the leaving was not due to anything negative.

Avatar
#36 Woogie
June 15 2010, 10:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

We are also under the impression Daum just found out last week. I could bet, at least I hope, Tambo has talked with Daum and he know it was going to be coming down to this. Or someone talked to Daum on Tambo's behalf. I can't imagine such a big disconnect. He's the GM of a multi million dollar organisation. Us fans just assume things when we aren't in the "know" and fill in the blanks with the worst case scenarios

Just like when Sourray was crying that Tambo never talked to him. I would bet you the training staff talked to Sourray who then talk to Tambo to report everything.

Avatar
#37 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 10:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Woogie wrote:

We are also under the impression Daum just found out last week. I could bet, at least I hope, Tambo has talked with Daum and he know it was going to be coming down to this. Or someone talked to Daum on Tambo's behalf. I can't imagine such a big disconnect. He's the GM of a multi million dollar organisation. Us fans just assume things when we aren't in the "know" and fill in the blanks with the worst case scenarios

Just like when Sourray was crying that Tambo never talked to him. I would bet you the training staff talked to Sourray who then talk to Tambo to report everything.

"Us fans" are assuming nothing, we've been told by someone who IS in the know:

"I don't know the Oilers thinking behind the move because they have yet to comment or even announce they gave Daum the bad news last week."

This is what is being reported by a credible member of the media. The blanks have been filled in for me, I dont have to be creative with them.

Avatar
#38 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 15 2010, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Nepotism at its finest...how long till they name Ron Delorme as the next head coach of this AHL team? Tambo must be clearing out all the U of A alumni....is Bum Stauffer next?

I thought Buchberger would be the next one to go.... the mess he left in Springfield three years ago must have eliminated him as a possible candidate for Oklahoma. Could be a ploy to bring in a greenhorn coach and force the locals/media to give him a year or two before they pounce on him, could take a few more years to even have a competitive team in Oklahoma .

I always find it interesting the slant people will put on situations like this because of their bias.

So big bad Buchberger left Springfield in a mess (after finishing with a .500 record)

While poor little Daum was mistreated dispite his 33-56-0-21 record.

Avatar
#39 Woogie
June 15 2010, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Let me restate...

I'm sure Daum just found out "officially" however we don't know what happens behind closed doors and neither does the media. All I'm trying to say is I doubt Daum didn't know the writting was on the wall after all the interviews and countless meetings after the end of the season.

Daum was on the radio for an interview prior to the news breaking. What is he suppose to say? "Chances are I'm going to get fired for the crappy job I did or the crappy situation I was put in". Of course not. He is going to try and be as positive as possible.

Avatar
#40 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 10:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

I'm sure the Oilers will be glad that there's at least one person out there that doesnt see a problem with the way they do business.

I dont need to say anything else on the topic, I think my point is clear enough.

Avatar
#41 Ducey
June 15 2010, 10:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Here we go again.

The Oilers are not classy, it wasn't his fault, he is a good guy, its Lowe's fault.

Give me a f-ing break.

So because they did not consult with the media and fans on an weekly basis they are not classy? Do we have any idea what they told Daum? Maybe they talked with him every week.

Daum had one good season with Houston. The next they sucked and he was fired. He took over Springfield 2 years ago late in the season with no appreciable difference and then last year he finished dead last.

If you are going to have a bunch of your stud prospects playing in the AHL, you want to have a very good coach. Maybe even a guy who could move up to the big team in a few years.

Daum doesn't seem like a guy who fits the mold as a future NHL head coach. He does not have any established record outside of the Bears (who have done nicely without him).

If you want to turn things around, you need to fire a few people, change the voice in the room, and getting rid of a last place coach seems like a pretty sensible move.

Lets pretend that Scotty Bowman (or some other great GM) took over as GM, you think Daum would last more than 5 minutes?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

It's all about results and when your organization has sucked as long as the Oilers have who is going to question the new GM for looking and fixing the team anyway that he sees it making sense?

Avatar
#43 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

My issue isnt with the decision to hire a new coach. It's with stringing along the old one for much longer than necessary.

Avatar
#44 Archaeologuy
June 15 2010, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ducey

"Lets pretend that Scotty Bowman (or some other great GM) took over as GM, you think Daum would last more than 5 minutes?"

Let's pretend instead of letting Daum know where he stood after 5 minutes, he waited 2 months and not until other vacant coaching positions within NHL organizations have been filled.

I have issue with guys being strung along.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Like I said what happens if they fire Daum and couldn't get the guy they wanted?

Avatar
#46 Robin Brownlee
June 15 2010, 11:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I always find it interesting the slant people will put on situations like this because of their bias.

So big bad Buchberger left Springfield in a mess (after finishing with a .500 record)

While poor little Daum was mistreated dispite his 33-56-0-21 record.

By slant do you mean an opinion based on something other than the raw numbers?

I know Rob Daum and I like and respect him. That said, I don't muddy the lines between who I respect as a person with the job they do professionally. Daum is a damn fine coach. If he was middling or lousy, I'd say so and I could still look him in the eye because he'd know I was offering an honest opinion.

I ragged on the hiring/promotion of Buchberger to MacT's staff despite the fact I know him and like him as well -- I just thought he got every break possible and was pushed to the front of the line because of his relationship with MacT. Daum got the opposite treatment because he isn't one of the "boys."

Daum's record was not good in Springfield and there's no getting around that. The way I see it, though, that failure record-wise is directly tied to the Oilers mishandling of the farm system in terms of player procurement. The AHL roster was lousy in terms of top-end prospects, paper-thin in terms of depth and almost devoid of quality career minor-leaguers to help the kids along. Those shortcomings fell at the feet of KP, who has paid the price.

Tying the can to Daum, in my opinion, is a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

In a brief conversation I had with the coach over the weekend he indicated that he has met with Oilers GM Tambellini recently but that "nothing came of it". For the record, I asked Daum if he wants to be on the Barons bench when the Barons begin their AHL season.

Guy Flammings article fromo June 7th, so obviously they talked about the future.

Avatar
#48 BadSeef
June 15 2010, 11:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

~By firing Daum, they're showing that everybody is accountable for winning at the Oilers organization.~

Yeah, everyone except upper management.

Avatar
#49 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 15 2010, 11:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

By slant do you mean an opinion based on something other than the raw numbers?

I know Rob Daum and I like and respect him. That said, I don't muddy the lines between who I respect as a person with the job they do professionally. Daum is a damn fine coach. If he was middling or lousy, I'd say so and I could still look him in the eye because he'd know I was offering an honest opinion.

I ragged on the hiring/promotion of Buchberger to MacT's staff despite the fact I know him and like him as well -- I just thought he got every break possible and was pushed to the front of the line because of his relationship with MacT. Daum got the opposite treatment because he isn't one of the "boys."

Daum's record was not good in Springfield and there's no getting around that. The way I see it, though, that failure record-wise is directly tied to the Oilers mishandling of the farm system in terms of player procurement. The AHL roster was lousy in terms of top-end prospects, paper-thin in terms of depth and almost devoid of quality career minor-leaguers to help the kids along. Those shortcomings fell at the feet of KP, who has paid the price.

Tying the can to Daum, in my opinion, is a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I wasn't replying to your article, it was a reply to the statement that Buchburger left Springfield in a mess (and the implication that Daum did a far better job) dispite the differences between their records.

Avatar
#50 BBOil
June 15 2010, 11:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

~I think we should all meet outside the Oils head offices and protest Tambi and Lowe.~

Fact of life when being a pro coach, there is a certain amount of job uncertainty. I like Daum, but coaches better than him have lost their jobs for less.

I think maybe who are anger should be directed at is whomever is charge of media and marketing for the oil. They are the ones that put the info out there. Instead of providing the standard communication, we should demand to be in the know about every single detail of every single decision that the Oil even think of making. Then we will all be well informed when we complain, and maybe even one day praise the decisions made by our beloved Oil.

Comments are closed for this article.