TAMBELLINI TIME: BALLS OUT OR BAIL OUT?

Robin Brownlee
June 25 2010 12:09AM

LOS ANGELES -- Does Steve Tambellini have the moxy and the brass to make something happen, to make a deal that matters, before he walks to the podium with the first pick in the 2010 Entry Draft at the Staples Center Friday? We'll find out soon enough.

Before Tambellini calls the name of Tyler Seguin or Taylor Hall with the first No. 1 pick in the history of the Edmonton Oilers, will he put the arm on Boston GM Peter Chiarelli in the quest for the other first-round pick he's been talking about?

Will he ask what it will take for him to get the second overall pick that belongs to the Bruins? Would he offer Ales Hemsky and Jordan Eberle -- that's the latest rumour making the rounds -- to make it a sweep of the top two picks?

"There's nothing wrong with asking," Tambellini said. "Peter's been pretty adamant that he's making the selection of one of the top two kids. I understand that, too, but who knows, things may change by the time we get to the floor."

WORK THE FLOOR

If Tambellini can't or won't offer enough to separate Chiarelli from his pick, he should look at Dale Tallon and the Florida Panthers, who have the No. 3 pick, and say, "Dale, what would it take?"

Tallon and Tambellini are already talking about the 15th pick. Why not raise the stakes?

Likewise with Scott Howson and the Columbus Jackets, who have the fourth selection. Howson is willing to move the pick, although he'd like to stay in the top 10. Howson isn't looking, at least not so far, to make a trade that leaves him without a first-rounder.

Any reason why the GM of a 30th-place team like the Oilers shouldn't ask again?

"All I've told managers all along, throughout this year, is that I'm wide open,'" Tambellini said. "Proposals that come to me, some people say, 'No, I'm not listening to that.' "I still think it's my job, where we're at as an organization, to listen. There's nothing wrong with listening."

And there's nothing wrong with asking. It could be a busy morning for Tambellini, and it should be.

TAYLOR OR TYLER XXIV?

Tambellini and his scouting staff have already decided on who the Oilers will take with the No. 1 pick, but, to nobody's surprise, Tambellini isn't admitting as much.

"We're closer, but we haven't formally sat down as a group and said, this is who we're taking," Tambellini told reporters with a straight face. "I want to save that for tomorrow.

"Our scouts, they're excited. Not too many of them are going to sleep tonight. They're looking forward to that moment when we can make a selection with an impact player who is going to be a huge part of Edmonton, a huge part of the team."
No consensus? No decision?

BUT YOU SAID ...

"At the end of the day, the responsibility, I know, comes to me," said Tambellini. "We're excited about that. We know we're going to get a great player. No issues there.

"We're close to making our decision. It's more that we're going to save this for tomorrow and speak to it as a group. I want to enjoy that moment. Our scouts have worked so hard for this.

This is the part I want everybody to enjoy. "The homework is done. The depth of information is incredible. They need to enjoy the selection now."

Close to making our decision? At the end of the day, the responsibility comes to Tambellini?

Translation:

Stu MacGregor: "I want Tyler Seguin."

Tambellini: "I want Taylor Hall."

MacGregor: "Seguin."

Tambellini: "Hall."

MacGregor: "You said it's my call."

Tambellini: "Yes, I did. But only if we agreed."

MacGregor: "Seguin."

Tambellini: "Hall."

Kevin Lowe: "Do I have to give up my number if we take Hall?"

Tambellini: "No. I don't think he wants No. 4."

Lowe: "What Tambi said."

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#101 Nate Full of Hate
June 25 2010, 11:44AM
It's Hall Over! wrote:

@ Nate Full of Hate

So now you think we're getting the #2 and #3 picks? Wow!

I'd LIKE #2,3 more than #1,31....

I THINK Tambi should be let go an hour before the draft ala TrailBlazers

#102 Mike
June 25 2010, 12:29PM

Trade Hemsky straight up for Florida's 15 pick. #83 serves no purpose on this team for the next two years. The team is in full rebuild mode and the Oilers need to get rid of some its forwards to make room for the new talent.

#103 CODD_FATHER
June 25 2010, 12:37PM

I'm sooooo excited that a little bit of pooh came out.Happy draft day.

#104 esa tikkanen
June 25 2010, 12:42PM

Mike

Take a look at the #15 overall pick the last 15 years and tell me which of them you want on the Oilers...based on the last 15 years there is a 2/15 chance that the player will make the NHL. I think there is a better than 2/15 chance the Oilers will re-sign him after 2 years, so I would prefer to keep him. He is one of the best 25 forwards in the NHL based on points per game in the last 3 years. A rebuild needs to include good players who can help teach young players how to get good at the NHL level, and if they can re-sign him how do you know he won't be a very good player in 3-5 years?? The Sedins are three years older than Hemsky and just had their best season ever! What if we trade him for a 15th who is 13/15 chance of being a bust and we watch Hemsky get 80 or 90 points for Florida or whoever ?? I would rather keep him and if in one year it is clear we can't re-sign him, trade him then. And you will get better than a top 15 pick then, fer sure...

around the draft people wayyyy overvalue draft picks. take a look at history and how many busts there are to sober up a bit...the time to get a draft pick is at the trade deadline. You will have teams desperate to improve. If you want to trade Hemsky if he makes it clear to you he won't re-sign, do it in March next year and I bet you get a player, a prospect and a first rounder...

would you trade Hemsky for Alex Plante?

#105 Quicksilver ballet
June 25 2010, 12:50PM
esa tikkanen wrote:

Mike

would you trade Hemsky for Alex Plante?

Hemsky is the last role model you want these kids looking to for direction. Alice is the last on and the first off the ice for every practice. Hemskys become complacent here in Edmonton....time to make the decision for him. If it involves another top five pick, he's gone dude.

#106 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
June 25 2010, 01:00PM
Mike wrote:

sweet jesus man give your head a shake.

im not saying hemsky is the greatest thing, and i wouldnt be sad if he were traded. but take a look at what you wrote, take a deep breath, and try again.

hemsky straight up for #15? honestly?

be better

#107 Team Hall
June 25 2010, 01:00PM

Whoever gets the best player wins the trade. We have nothing valuable enough to trade for the #2. Won't happen. If it does, we can all go running in the streets because we just stole Chiarelli's pants and underwear in that deal. I would trade anything for the #2. We would be set for life. At this point, Ebs, MPS, Omark, all have only potential. And slightly less potential than Hall. Hemmer has only 2 years left, as does Penner. If we could trick Chiarelli into taking anything for that #2, we do that deal.

#108 Bourne Identity
June 25 2010, 01:02PM

Let me put it to you this way. If Calgary traded Iggy for the #2, Kipper for the #3, and Regehr for the #4, we would all die of jealousy. So I would trade anything for the #2. Outside of Crosby, Ovy, Malkin and Stamkos, and the #1, nothing is more valuable right now than the #2 pick. No deal will happen. Mark it.

#109 Broin
June 25 2010, 01:06PM

Good work Brownlee, keep us posted, any word on Oiler trades? Souray?

#110 Milli
June 25 2010, 01:06PM
Crash wrote:

I think you're right...I'd love to head to the pint...bit of a drive from Red Deer but sounds like a good time there.

But I'm wondering do they turn up the volume loud enough so that everyone can hear what rumours are being talked about or to hear about any trades?

Yep, wish I could too! that 6 hour drive home would be a b!tch tho......have to settle for drinking and listening to my wife complain!

#111 madjam
June 25 2010, 01:18PM
rubbertrout wrote:

Madjam says to take Hall. If that isn't enough of a reason to say Seguin I'm not sure what is.

My three most reliable sources also pick Hall as the clear cut choice ( me, myself and i ).

#112 Archaeologuy
June 25 2010, 01:25PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

He's not signed to be a role model. He's signed to lead the offence of the Oilers.

This is the NHL, not the Reading Rainbow.

If half of our kids become as good as Hemsky is now we'll be competing for the cup with players that leave it all on the ice and compete hard in all the tough areas.

#113 Senator Theo
June 25 2010, 01:38PM

@Archaeologuy

"but you don't have to take my word for it..." - LeVar Burton

#114 Doctor Unk
June 25 2010, 02:43PM

Think a little Mr. "Hemsky/Penner won't be here in 2 years."

With all the young talent up and coming on this team a la Gagner, Eberle, T/T, MPS; we're going to be a top end team in the hunt for Lord Stanley's coffee cup. Why wouldn't Hemsky want to stick around and be a part of that? Wouldn't Penner want to play on a line with MPS and Seguin?

We've got a huge future ahead of us already and if a contract was up in two years, that's the time where players are going to want to _BE_ Oilers, not leave the Oilers. That's a good thing in my book.

---

Could we unload Nilsson, POS or Moreau in a trade to someone for the rights to a UFA (say POS to NJ for the rights to Kovalchuk) like CGY did last year? Hell we don't even need to make a reasonable offer to the UFA, just let them walk. Would save $$ on buyouts.

#115 Quicksilver ballet
June 25 2010, 03:48PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

This is the NHL, not the Reading Rainbow.

If half our kids turn out to be as good as Hemsky we aren't going friggen anywhere!

Hemsky may appear to be and elite player here in Edmonton but he's clearly 2nd/3rd line on a competitive hockey club..we aren't going anywhere with Hemsky and his don't give a ship attitude.

#116 Archaeologuy
June 25 2010, 04:00PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

HA HA HA HA

2nd or 3rd line for a point a game guy? I enjoy you silly lack of knowledge.

#117 Quicksilver ballet
June 25 2010, 04:22PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

HA HA HA HA

2nd or 3rd line for a point a game guy? I enjoy you silly lack of knowledge.

You! could get a point a game playing 23 minutes a night. You think Alice gets 23 mins a night playing for Pittsburgh or Chicago?

The sooner Hemskys out of here the better. I'll take my chances on being able to re-sign Penner. ......but if you want to build your hockey club around a soft Euro, go ahead sir. Grow a pair and make this decision for Hemsky...the days of worshipping B level players is at an end here

#118 Archaeologuy
June 25 2010, 05:10PM

@Quicksilver ballet

Soft Euro? Do you even watch the Oilers?