Expectations of Omark

Jason Gregor
June 08 2010 06:42AM

05940811 date 22 05 2010 Copyright imago SMRFOTO 22 05 2010 Cologne Ice hockey World Cup Semi-finals Sweden The Czech Republic v l Johan Harju SWE and Linus Omark SWE cheer After the goal to 1 0 Photo SMRFOTO 22 05 2010 Cologne Ice hockey World Cup Semi-finals Sweden The Czech Republic Ice hockey men World Cup National team international match Semi-finals Cologne Action shot Vdig 2010 horizontal premiumd Cologne Cologne Hockey IceHockey Ice hockey World Cup World Cup World Championship IIHF Semi-finals Semi Final Semi-finals 1 2 Final Semi Final Sweden Sweden Sverige SWE The Czech Republic Czech CZE.

Only seventeen days until we know if it will be Tyler or Taylor, but that won’t be the end of the debates in Oilerville, in fact; it’s just the beginning. After June 25th there will be plenty of other players/situations to discuss, including Jordan Eberle.

The 22nd pick in 2008 will come to camp with a legitimate opportunity to make the team, and his most direct competition will come from the 97th pick in 2007, Linus Omark. Omark is now 5”10’, 180 pounds and blessed with incredible skill,but he is the biggest question mark heading into camp.

What can the Oilers expect from Omark?

Maybe this if they get to a shoot out:

Pretty sweet move but I’m more impressed with the courage it takes to try that move in a game.

But the Oilers would probably prefer the following move since he did it in a game. Looks similar to what Daniel Sedin did to win play of the year on TSN.

Of course Omark will need more in his game than just a few highlight reel goals, and according to Kevin Lowe he has just what the Oilers are looking for.

“His game begins once a guy engages him in the corner. Once a player is on his back, he is good at spinning off, shifting away from the defender and beating guys. It looks like he doesn’t mind the rough stuff, which is what we need.

“He protects the puck very well, which is crucial because you need guys who won’t turn the puck over,” continued Lowe.

Omark’s ability and willingness to cycle the puck could make him a good fit with Dustin Penner. Penner’s best attribute is his ability to cycle the puck down low, make good passes in confined areas and go to the net. Omark could complement Penner very well considering, despite his size, he likes to cycle the puck and can spin off defenders very well.

Penner needs to play with guys who complement his game. Last year he added the ability to score on the rush, but he is most effective along the boards, battling defenders and then taking the puck to the net. He needs guys who can move the puck quickly and accurately in tight areas and Omark seems to fits the bill. If he truly doesn’t mind contact then he should get an extra long look in September, because the Oilers aren’t blessed with many skilled forwards who are willing to play in the tough areas.

Would it be too simplistic to say one of Eberle and Omark stays while the other goes to the Oklahoma City? It might be, but I sense that’s how it will play out.

Rob Daum coached Eberle for 20 games over two seasons in Springfield and so I asked him to describe Eberle’s offensive game.

“He has great offensive instincts and a great offensive mind. He goes to the tough areas and can make special passes. He slips into holes and off of people, but he doesn’t get as involved physically as Omark. He plays by moving instead of confrontation.”

Eberle and Omark have similarities in their game, but Daum’s last line explains perfectly the major difference of their games. It doesn’t make one better, just different. In the long run they might be able to complement each other very well, but when camp comes around I expect they will be battling for the same position.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#101 Oil_Loc8or
June 09 2010, 11:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Constable Archaeologuy?

Sergeant Major ? Or Commissioner ? hahahahahha ...wait .........

Avatar
#102 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
June 09 2010, 11:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

When can I get my Stun Gun from Bingofuel?

Don't tase me, Archaeolobro.

Avatar
#103 Jackie Treehorn
June 09 2010, 12:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

We got off on the wrong foot, sorry.

First off let me let say that this whole thing got started in a nutshell, because of my theory of a media smokescreen in the works. I came to this conclusion because I can't help but believe that Bob Stauffer (listening to him since day one) would not want to yell at the top of his lungs, HALLLLLL, but isn't allowed.

Hall and Seguin Saga has many facets. We don't need to point form every little detail every time someone disagrees with an opinion. The Hall camp has the bullets, and does the Seguin camp. You could go on about premium ice time on worse team, or less ice time on great team, and on and on and on and never ending. I get it, the PAPERS says it's a sawoff, but you can't pass up (in a sawoff) the proven winner. The Oiler scouts can't risk taking Seguin over Hall. Hall has proven himself a winner/mvp twice. Don't you value a proven winner? That reason alone is why the Oilers cannot afford to draft Seguin. The Oilers are trying to build a great team, maybe a championship team down the road, and Hall knows how to be the best player on the best team, playing the tough min.

Or do you think we should take Seguin based on the fact that he hasn't had the chance to compete for those championships. Can't take Hall accomplishments away from him.

Avatar
#104 Deep Oil
June 09 2010, 12:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
wangtaco wrote:

I don't think this has anything to do with being a hockey player (aside from the fact that his attorney is probably very expensive). Really, any criminal defense lawyer will seek means to dismiss a charge. The whole "technicality" argument is looooooong and winding and will never be settled, but I don't think this is really anything to look down on Khabibulin for. His attorney is defending him vigorously, as any lawyer (hopefully) would.

Someone also mentioned that he willingly took a field sobriety test, and that should quash any sort of "inappropriate" argument, but I know here in Canada, if you refuse a sobriety test, you can be arrested, so...I'd be willing to wager that the state that just legalized racial profiling doesn't place a great onus on "innocent before proven guilty". He was probably done for as soon as he was pulled over, one way or another.

Quebec is the only jurisdiction that utilizes FST.

You can decline a field sobriety test in the United States based on constitutional freedoms.

Based on Khabibulin being from Sverdlosk, USSR he is probably just used to KGB tactics and thought the cops wanted to go for a walk, nice of them. Oilers want this alleged piss tank back, right Tambo - "Nik is a leader in the dressing room" - does that mean he has the happy hour locations mapped out when the team is on the road ?

You do not have to provide a breathylzer in Canada until you have spoken to your lawyer by phone. This is used by people to delay the legal readings for several hours, cat and mouse.

There are two charges that co-exist in Canada, impaired driving (subjective), and over 0.08 Blood Alcohol Content. In some cases, Careless driving (6 points) is the reduced charge when the person is hovering around .08 and .09 as it is cheaper to proceed without a trial.

Know your rights, protect your person, otherwise the police will take advantage of your ignorance.

Avatar
#105 Jackie Treehorn
June 09 2010, 12:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ ARCH You addressed a few of my quoted statements below:

"Seguin supporters are putting all their faith in what they've been told, not from what they've seen. Are you guys gamblers?

What is untrue about this statement generally speaking?

"So a 30th place team drafts based on need because our depth chart is full at wing? ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...wait .....again hahhahahahahahahahahhahahah hah ha hah ha"

Did you double check the context, are you aware of the mis understanding ?

You said: You think Hall is the hands down BPA, at least explain why you think that before taking the "I'm entitled to my opinion." route.

Do we have to again? Do I need to prove to you that I've done my homework by putting down the point forms we've all seen and beaten to death?

Avatar
#106 Deep Oil
June 09 2010, 12:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Curious wrote:

I agree totally. I hope they throw the book at him and he dont get to go to the US again because of a criminal record. He needs to be taught a lesson.

Sorry Curious George,

If you have a criminal record such as impaired driving, it is common to apply for a re entry waiver, problem solved, it;s only money in place of responsibility.

www.pardons.org/us_entry_waivers.html

Avatar
#107 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
June 09 2010, 12:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Deep Oil wrote:

Quebec is the only jurisdiction that utilizes FST.

You can decline a field sobriety test in the United States based on constitutional freedoms.

Based on Khabibulin being from Sverdlosk, USSR he is probably just used to KGB tactics and thought the cops wanted to go for a walk, nice of them. Oilers want this alleged piss tank back, right Tambo - "Nik is a leader in the dressing room" - does that mean he has the happy hour locations mapped out when the team is on the road ?

You do not have to provide a breathylzer in Canada until you have spoken to your lawyer by phone. This is used by people to delay the legal readings for several hours, cat and mouse.

There are two charges that co-exist in Canada, impaired driving (subjective), and over 0.08 Blood Alcohol Content. In some cases, Careless driving (6 points) is the reduced charge when the person is hovering around .08 and .09 as it is cheaper to proceed without a trial.

Know your rights, protect your person, otherwise the police will take advantage of your ignorance.

If you're talking Criminal Code, here in Manitoba it's 10 for impaired and 10 for over .08. It's also 10 for refusing a sample. Those get bumped up to 15 if it causes injury or death. Careless is only 2.

I don't really understand what you're trying to suggest in terms of constitutional rights. Willingly submitting a sample doesn't mean the officer violated your rights - it means you didn't excercise your right to refuse.

Avatar
#108 Archaeologuy
June 09 2010, 12:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jackie Treehorn

we did get off on the wrong foot. I appreciate hearing your rationale behind Hall.

Avatar
#109 Boris
June 09 2010, 12:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hey Jackie, I know you have done "your research" and you most definately are entitled to your opinion and so am I... TS was ranked #1 by central scouting, and #1 player in the OHL this year. He has scored more 5 on 5 goals that Hall and has one year less experience. This is no slam dunk for Hall. Is Hall more dynamic? yes but is he the no brainer pick? I say no. Too close to call. The Oilers need a center and if it is too close to call, then take the center for the long term. TS will be playing long after Hall has retired due to multipul head injuries. That is just my opinion....

Avatar
#110 Deep Oil
June 09 2010, 12:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

If you're talking Criminal Code, here in Manitoba it's 10 for impaired and 10 for over .08. It's also 10 for refusing a sample. Those get bumped up to 15 if it causes injury or death. Careless is only 2.

I don't really understand what you're trying to suggest in terms of constitutional rights. Willingly submitting a sample doesn't mean the officer violated your rights - it means you didn't excercise your right to refuse.

You have the right to counsel, the law is an ass, but you have to speak to your lawyer first to determine if you are going to give a breathylzer sample or refuse one, this legally can take some time, as the person charged has to be given access to a private room with phone and make contact with counsel.

Nik's lawyer is grasping at straws, hoping something will stick, Nik was pulled over for speeding, the FST a throw away, not needed as per the officer's question and Nik's dumb response to admitting drinking alcohol.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/06/08/edmonton-khabibulin-court-documents.html

Quote:

The officer smelled alcohol and thought he had watery eyes. Khabibulin admitted drinking one glass of wine.

Avatar
#111 Jackie Treehorn
June 09 2010, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Boris wrote:

Hey Jackie, I know you have done "your research" and you most definately are entitled to your opinion and so am I... TS was ranked #1 by central scouting, and #1 player in the OHL this year. He has scored more 5 on 5 goals that Hall and has one year less experience. This is no slam dunk for Hall. Is Hall more dynamic? yes but is he the no brainer pick? I say no. Too close to call. The Oilers need a center and if it is too close to call, then take the center for the long term. TS will be playing long after Hall has retired due to multipul head injuries. That is just my opinion....

My research is very limited. I would've liked to watch more games, but even if I did I wouldn't really know what to look for like a scout would.

I just have a hunch that Tambo is pulling a Garth Snow for the publicity, and it's not as close between the two prospects as we are led to believe from an Oiler scouting stand point.

I also get suspicious when normally outspoken radio personalities are very quiet with their opinions on the subject.

I go on instinct, intuition, and being a fan in Edmonton the last 15 years or so and listening to 1260 since the beginning, has helped give me some perspective on what is the norm and what is out of the norm as far as the media angles go.

Again, I'm just a measly fan though and these are just kookie theories. hehe

Avatar
#112 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 09 2010, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jackie Treehorn wrote:

We got off on the wrong foot, sorry.

First off let me let say that this whole thing got started in a nutshell, because of my theory of a media smokescreen in the works. I came to this conclusion because I can't help but believe that Bob Stauffer (listening to him since day one) would not want to yell at the top of his lungs, HALLLLLL, but isn't allowed.

Hall and Seguin Saga has many facets. We don't need to point form every little detail every time someone disagrees with an opinion. The Hall camp has the bullets, and does the Seguin camp. You could go on about premium ice time on worse team, or less ice time on great team, and on and on and on and never ending. I get it, the PAPERS says it's a sawoff, but you can't pass up (in a sawoff) the proven winner. The Oiler scouts can't risk taking Seguin over Hall. Hall has proven himself a winner/mvp twice. Don't you value a proven winner? That reason alone is why the Oilers cannot afford to draft Seguin. The Oilers are trying to build a great team, maybe a championship team down the road, and Hall knows how to be the best player on the best team, playing the tough min.

Or do you think we should take Seguin based on the fact that he hasn't had the chance to compete for those championships. Can't take Hall accomplishments away from him.

I'm not exactly sure what you think the purpose of a media smoke screen is. Who exactly is the media trying to trick?

Avatar
#113 Jackie Treehorn
June 09 2010, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Not so much trick, but distract maybe.

Just a Garth Snow deal is all. Hold on to the last min. Maybe Bettman/Oiler Management prefers the excitement and the publicity. If there is an advantage to doing it....whos knows, but maybe.

Avatar
#114 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 09 2010, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jackie Treehorn wrote:

Not so much trick, but distract maybe.

Just a Garth Snow deal is all. Hold on to the last min. Maybe Bettman/Oiler Management prefers the excitement and the publicity. If there is an advantage to doing it....whos knows, but maybe.

Seems the last few years theirs been a little contreversy drummed up about who should go number 1. More then anything I think it's just media looking to drum up some interest (or because alot of these races really are close)

Other then the purpose of selling more papers/getting more blog hits (which is their job) I really don't see any point to any trickery/distracting.

Avatar
#115 Archaeologuy
June 09 2010, 01:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Seems the last few years theirs been a little contreversy drummed up about who should go number 1. More then anything I think it's just media looking to drum up some interest (or because alot of these races really are close)

Other then the purpose of selling more papers/getting more blog hits (which is their job) I really don't see any point to any trickery/distracting.

I thought last year that it was a 2 horse race for #1 but very late there was talk that Duchene could go first. I wrote that off as the media getting bored of the Tavares vs Hedman talk. Well if they could have a do-over the Islanders might be tempted to take Duchene.

I'm not ready to write off either Hall or Seguin for #1.

Avatar
#116 Oil_Loc8or
June 09 2010, 01:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

I agree about the media and papers, a good example is the trade deadline.

The Oilers are having a draft party at Rexall. what would it be like if they don't draft first ? They need to trust the scouting staff and name the next francise player.

BP "Dilution is the solution to Pollution"

Avatar
#117 Mike
June 09 2010, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jackie Treehorn wrote:

We got off on the wrong foot, sorry.

First off let me let say that this whole thing got started in a nutshell, because of my theory of a media smokescreen in the works. I came to this conclusion because I can't help but believe that Bob Stauffer (listening to him since day one) would not want to yell at the top of his lungs, HALLLLLL, but isn't allowed.

Hall and Seguin Saga has many facets. We don't need to point form every little detail every time someone disagrees with an opinion. The Hall camp has the bullets, and does the Seguin camp. You could go on about premium ice time on worse team, or less ice time on great team, and on and on and on and never ending. I get it, the PAPERS says it's a sawoff, but you can't pass up (in a sawoff) the proven winner. The Oiler scouts can't risk taking Seguin over Hall. Hall has proven himself a winner/mvp twice. Don't you value a proven winner? That reason alone is why the Oilers cannot afford to draft Seguin. The Oilers are trying to build a great team, maybe a championship team down the road, and Hall knows how to be the best player on the best team, playing the tough min.

Or do you think we should take Seguin based on the fact that he hasn't had the chance to compete for those championships. Can't take Hall accomplishments away from him.

Why do you trust what Stauffer "would" say over others. YOu think he knows more than scouts. He hasn't seen Hall play live once, so his opinion is no more valid than Gregor's, or anyone elses.

Did the OHL think Hall was better? No. So what do you say to that.

Hall is very good, but suggesting Seguin isn't is off-base. Both are good.

Avatar
#118 madjam
June 09 2010, 02:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Will Seguin go number 2 is more of a question than Hall should go NBR.1 . Has Seguin done more than Eberle did at same age with even a worse team and being smaller and not as fast as Seguin ? Yet Eberle excelled better than Seguin in elite company ! Did Gudblanson , Fowler and others in this draft not also excel in the company of the elites as well , while Seguin has not even made the clubs they played on against the worlds best ?

Even Svensson has shown more than Seguin in elite and manly company ? MacFarland fell far this season and so might Seguin if he was always up against elite company . To me , Seguin has not done enough consistently to be called a clear cut NBR. 2 as yet .

Avatar
#119 Archaeologuy
June 09 2010, 02:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@madjam

*facepalm*

At the same age, Eberle scored 31 less points than Seguin. I'm going to stop it right there.

Avatar
#120 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 09 2010, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Will Seguin go number 2 is more of a question than Hall should go NBR.1 . Has Seguin done more than Eberle did at same age with even a worse team and being smaller and not as fast as Seguin ? Yet Eberle excelled better than Seguin in elite company ! Did Gudblanson , Fowler and others in this draft not also excel in the company of the elites as well , while Seguin has not even made the clubs they played on against the worlds best ?

Even Svensson has shown more than Seguin in elite and manly company ? MacFarland fell far this season and so might Seguin if he was always up against elite company . To me , Seguin has not done enough consistently to be called a clear cut NBR. 2 as yet .

I don't know if you do it on purpose, but day in and day out you make yourself look absolutly ridiculous.

I see Arch already touched on Eberle vs Seguin so I wont bother.

You can have whatever opinion you want as to whether or not Seguin should go #2(or better) but I've yet to see any hockey people suggest it's even open for debate.

Avatar
#121 CODD_FATHER
June 09 2010, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ya, well all i know is that the leafs have'nt won since 1967 lol and real men dont flame.

Avatar
#122 madjam
June 10 2010, 07:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I don't know if you do it on purpose, but day in and day out you make yourself look absolutly ridiculous.

I see Arch already touched on Eberle vs Seguin so I wont bother.

You can have whatever opinion you want as to whether or not Seguin should go #2(or better) but I've yet to see any hockey people suggest it's even open for debate.

Rediculous to base my assessments to see these players perform at top levels against elite company is somehow rediculous ? if CSS told you that K.Agostino was NBR. 1 based on his amazing stats , you'd be on his bandwagon as well . At least i base my own accurate assessments on what i see more than what others have to say .

Show me and others, smart one, where Seguin has shone in elite competition ? How frequently you make your own opinion based on what you see , rather than what some others have said ? Show me where Sequin has outperformed Eberle in elite company ?

I'm willing to accept Seguin will be a good talent from what clips i've seen of him , but i'm not willing to give him the NBR.2 slot without ever doing much in elite company . Not like CSS has ever erred in their rankings, or any other ranking agency for that matter . I might take you more serious if you built your arguments on what you see , rather than what others see and you take for gospel .

Avatar
#123 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 10 2010, 09:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Rediculous to base my assessments to see these players perform at top levels against elite company is somehow rediculous ? if CSS told you that K.Agostino was NBR. 1 based on his amazing stats , you'd be on his bandwagon as well . At least i base my own accurate assessments on what i see more than what others have to say .

Show me and others, smart one, where Seguin has shone in elite competition ? How frequently you make your own opinion based on what you see , rather than what some others have said ? Show me where Sequin has outperformed Eberle in elite company ?

I'm willing to accept Seguin will be a good talent from what clips i've seen of him , but i'm not willing to give him the NBR.2 slot without ever doing much in elite company . Not like CSS has ever erred in their rankings, or any other ranking agency for that matter . I might take you more serious if you built your arguments on what you see , rather than what others see and you take for gospel .

Yes, it's ridiculous for you to think you've actually outsmarted dozens (hundreds?) of pro scouts because you've seen a couple jr games, a couple tournaments and some "clips".

The fact that you wonderd out loud whether Seguin had out performed Eberle at the same age is proof that you are completly clueless.

Avatar
#124 madjam
June 10 2010, 09:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Yes, it's ridiculous for you to think you've actually outsmarted dozens (hundreds?) of pro scouts because you've seen a couple jr games, a couple tournaments and some "clips".

The fact that you wonderd out loud whether Seguin had out performed Eberle at the same age is proof that you are completly clueless.

Look in a mirror at yourself ,and maybe ask yourself when and where you have seen or heard Seguin performed above Eberle in any elite tournament or even made the team ? Enough said . Now, who's the clueless one ? Maybe you should apply your own comments to yourself firstly , rather than tagging other bloggers ideas being rediculous or clueless ?

Avatar
#125 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 10 2010, 09:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Look in a mirror at yourself ,and maybe ask yourself when and where you have seen or heard Seguin performed above Eberle in any elite tournament or even made the team ? Enough said . Now, who's the clueless one ? Maybe you should apply your own comments to yourself firstly , rather than tagging other bloggers ideas being rediculous or clueless ?

"Has Seguin done more than Eberle did at same age"

The answer is yes.

Madjam = clueless.

Comments are closed for this article.