RANDOM TIDBITS

Jason Gregor
June 09 2010 11:35AM

The best thing the NHL has done in a long time are these “History will be Made” commercials. They are easy to mimic, which fans have done a thousand times over, and the old footage is great way to visit memory lane. Their up-to-dates ones are pretty decent as well. After game five they came up with the one above.

The Human Rake, Chris Pronger, says he doesn’t read the newspapers, but you can bet he will have seen this by game time tonight. The Rake was -5 in game five, and if there was ever proof that the +/- stat can be misleading, that sums it up. Sure he wasn’t great, but those suggesting he is tired haven’t been paying attention.

The Rake was -3 in game three of the Eastern conference final and we heard whispers the Rake was tired. He completely dominated games four and five. No way the Rake doesn’t bounce back tonight and play great. He is too arrogant and cocky not to. The Flyers will win and for the second straight year we will have a game seven on a Friday night.

WHY WAIT?

I don’t understand Steve Tambellini’s actions when it comes to his coaches. Wayne Flemming, Kelly Buchberger and Rob Daum’s contracts expire June 30th. You can make arguments both ways why they should stick or be let go, but why would Tambellini have them twist in the wind?

If he doesn’t want to bring them back, he should have let them know weeks ago. There aren’t many coaching opportunities in hockey, and the longer Tambellini waits to make a decision, the less likely one of these men could catch on with another team.

If they aren’t a good fit for the Oilers, he needs to be respectful and give them a chance to latch on in another organization. And if he is going to re-sign them, but didn’t have time to negotiate contracts, why not just have a handshake agreement and iron out the contract details later on.

You can’t tell me the past month hasn’t been a stressful time in the Buchberger, Fleming or Daum household. Daum and Fleming never made millions, so not knowing if they will have a paycheck in three weeks would be unnerving. Tambellini needs to make a decision either way quickly. Even if all three of them get re-signed, he still put them through six weeks of unnecessary stress.

I know he has lots on his plate with the 1st overall pick, travelling to Europe to sign players and checking out the Memorial Cup to evaluate players, but great leadership requires open communication.

CAN GOLF SOFTEN YOUR HANDS?

Zack Stortini is working on softening up his hands on the ice and on the links.

Stortini is working on his golf game with Windemere golf instructor, Cam Martens, and he is getting one-on-one instruction from Steve Serdachny, Oilers skills and skating coach, up to three times a week.

Stortini was an 18 handicap at the start of the summer and is hoping to be a ten by September. He’s also looking at improving his skills on the ice.

Most players try and avoid being on the ice until August. They focus more on off-ice workouts instead, but not Stortini. The 94th pick in 2003, has been on the ice two to three times a week for the past month.

“At the end of the season Tom Renney told me I needed to work on making plays in tight areas if I wanted more icetime. I don’t want to be a one-dimensional player,” Stortini told me yesterday at the TEAM 1260 golf tournament where he was unlucky enough to be paired up with none other than OilersNation own Wanye Gretz.

“I know what my role is, so I still spend lots of time working on getting stronger and faster, but I want to contribute more, so I need to be better with the puck. Not just around the net, but along the boards and in the neutral zone.” Serdachny works with Stortini on a rotational basis of twice one week, then three times the next week.

Their on-ice practices vary anywhere from one hour to two hours. They work on skating, mostly explosiveness, and spend lots of time on fine tuning the “skill” part of Stortini’s game.

“I do the same drills with Zack that I would with Ales Hemsky or Jordan Eberle. Of course their skill sets are different, but getting Zack to change the angle of his stick in tight, or focus on his body position in front of the net will help him. “You can’t teach him to do what Hemsky does at full speed, but I want Zack to think the same way in the tight areas. Most goals are scored from in tight, so Zack should be able to use his size and find himself in better scoring positions.”

Stortini has no illusions of what type of player he can be, but he realized that if he wanted to become a regular 3rd liner, he needed to improve his puck skills. Entering his 4th full season, it is clear Stortini wants to be more of a factor.

If he can take eight strokes off his golf game, and add eight points on the ice, that would make for a pretty successful off-season.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Oil_Loc8or
June 09 2010, 04:31PM

The reason Ethan isn't a good captain has a great deal to do with the fact that he doesn't play many minutes in a game (Thank God). Your captain should be able to play in any key situation in the game, put the team on his shoulders, and lead on and off the ice.

You don't call out your rookie tenders or place blame on teammates. Take bad penalties at key points of the game.

The reason Hemsky won't be captain is he will more than likely be traded and is a me first player. I like Hemsky but not as a captain.

#52 Senator Theo
June 09 2010, 04:57PM

What would it take to get that bear out of alaska?

#53 Hemmertime
June 09 2010, 04:57PM

@Moetown

Whats this sign Hemsky stuff? They couldnt even talk contract till July 1st of next year.

#54 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 09 2010, 05:16PM

Maybe we should step back and realize that unless theirs any former pro sports players on here, we probably don't know who would or wouldn't (or is or isn't) be a good captain.

#55 Senator Theo
June 09 2010, 05:30PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I played some pretty competitive intramural broomball in high school, so I would be in a pretty good position to make that call if the other citizens here would like to defer to me.

#56 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
June 09 2010, 05:34PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

~you can take that common sense "stuff" you are using and head elsewhere mister.~

#57 Hemmertime
June 09 2010, 06:06PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

We can start every post with "In my opinion". But I figured that's a given since it's the interweb.

#58 Lumpjaw
June 09 2010, 06:39PM

Regardless of who wrests the "C," from Mr. Ethan Moreau,it's going to be temporal. The "C," will go to either Seguin or Hall in due course, and hopefully for a very, very, long time.

#59 Lumpjaw
June 09 2010, 06:41PM

And another thing: It wouldn't break my heart to see the club to take another nose-dive in 10 - 11. Another top 5 draft pick, a few judicious trades and free agent signings, stir, mix, and in 12-13 guess who's playing in the finals. . . We've waited since 90, another 3 years and we have the makings of a dynasty, just like yea good old days.

#60 Lumpjaw
June 09 2010, 06:45PM

Geez Louise, I forget-eth one thing. Curtis Glencross' contract will be up after next year. I'm going to guess that given the 11-12 state of the Flames, a decent contract offer might just do the trick given the UFA status that GlenX will enjoy. . . And that's it that's all, over and out, no more from me until someone really pisses me off. . .

#61 Archaeologuy
June 09 2010, 09:54PM

Pronger loses the cup. Wanye can breath easy.

#62 Quicksilver ballet
June 10 2010, 09:11AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Pronger loses the cup. Wanye can breath easy.

Same as 06.....i thought Pronger was the best again in this years playoffs and should've taken the Conn Smythe.

lol...alot of us were watching Pronger during the 05/06 season thinking what the heck is a guy like him doing here, almost like we knew it was too good to be true.

#63 JRyanMac
June 10 2010, 09:12AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

RANDOM HOCKEY RELATED VIDEO*

*30 seconds in I thought "this is ridiculous" a minute later I thought "this just changed my life forever"

Lil Wayne's Drop the World needs to be the music for that intro- " Hop up in ma spaceship leave earf mudda f-er..." Thats all i could think about while watching that...

#64 rindog
June 10 2010, 11:33PM
Eddie Shore wrote:

~Are you talking about Moreau?~

Moreau, Smith, Buchberger...

I have posted it here before, but if you look at all the other captains in the NHL - you will be hard pressed to find a "role player" as a captain.

Role players are important, just not people that should "leading" the team.

Your best player(s) should be the captain.