Oilers Depth Chart 2010

Lowetide
July 11 2010 06:36AM

With the draft over and the first blush of free agency in the rear-view, this is an excellent time to have a look at the Oilers depth chart. It is striking to see just how much work is left to be done; I wonder if the Oilers want to address some of the obvious problems (G, veteran presence up front) this summer. A lottery pick becomes a distant bell with an improved lineup. It might be better to run with the kids.

Here is the depth chart (my list, your slotting may be different) but it gives us a general idea about where this team is heading. Strong roster options (based on management comments and logic) in italics.

 

GOAL

  1. Nikolai Khabibulin
  2. Jeff Drouin Deslauriers (RFA, filed for arbitration)
  3. Devan Dubnyk (RFA)
  4. Bryan Pitton

This is a mess for a couple of reasons. Khabibulin's trial makes moving one of the kids less likely, meaning the Oilers may be forced to go with the three-headed goalie system for a time this fall. NK's injury last season casts further doubt on the position, but if you're the Oilers playing the two kids 60% of the time might be a way to "Denver boot" the 10-11 season.

 

DEFENSE

  1. Ryan Whitney
  2. Tom Gilbert
  3. Sheldon Souray (outcast)
  4. Ladislav Smid
  5. Kurtis Foster
  6. Jim Vandermeer
  7. Jason Strudwick
  8. Theo Peckham
  9. Alex Plante
  10. Jeff Petry
  11. Taylor Chorney
  12. Richard Petiot
  13. Johan Motin
  14. Jake Taylor
  15. Jordan Bendfeld

The Souray return will impact the depth chart, as Theo Peckham will need to clear waivers this fall. Should the club acquire a defenseman, that might spell the end of Jason Strudwick's NHL career. I like the top pairing (Whitney-Gilbert) and if Smid-Foster can work together this team has a decent top 4D (much better than 2006 summer, as an example). If the team deals Souray for a defenseman, I'd prefer a "wide range of skills" type as opposed to a puck mover or a stay-at-home type.

 

CENTER

  1. Shawn Horcoff
  2. Sam Gagner
  3. Gilbert Brule
  4. Colin Fraser
  5. Andrew Cogliano
  6. Brad Moran
  7. Ryan O'Marra
  8. Chris Vande Velde
  9. Milan Kytnar

There's a lot of good future here and this is a big season for the kids. If Gagner can take over some of the tougher minutes (and begin to relieve Shawn Horcoff of the heavy lifting) this position will be much better a year from now. Brule is a developing talent coming off a solid offensive season, but there's not much evidence available to suggest he should play the tough minutes. Just so we're clear, I have Brule listed as the #3C but would not want him near a checking-style line. Soft minutes and PP time are the ticket for him. Colin Fraser could help a wayward PK, and we should be watching Vande Velde with interest (Horcoff didn't take much AHL time to be NHL ready).

 

LEFT WING

  1. Dustin Penner
  2. Magnus Pääjärvi
  3. Taylor Hall
  4. Steve MaCintyre
  5. Linus Omark
  6. JF Jacques
  7. Teemu Hartikainen
  8. Philippe Cornet
  9. Matt Marquardt

Not a veteran checker in the bunch, but some sublime talent. Penner is the Oilers best player based on last season's results, and the two kids have the fanbase acting (with good reason) like the kids who saw the Beatles at Shea in 1965. This depth chart went from Penner and crap to something very special in a very short period of time. We can only hope for the same timeline in goal.

 

RIGHT WING

  1. Ales Hemsky
  2. Jordan Eberle
  3. Ryan Jones
  4. Zack Stortini
  5. Alexandre Giroux
  6. Liam Reddox
  7. Ben Ondrus
  8. Colin McDonald

Hemsky is a ridiculous talent and a healthy season from this player means the Oilers win more hockey games than a year ago. Eberle is establishing himself as a strong option, although kids listed at C and LW (Brule, Cogliano, Omark) might grab top 6 minutes. Jones and Stortini look like they'll fight it out for 3line minutes unless the club addresses the issue (there are rumors--from Rishaug again--that Asham is a player of interest) in the next few weeks.

I usually miss a player or two, please pass along and I'll fix later. Either way, this is a way better hockey club than a year ago if they can stay reasonably healthy. If they took the time to address #1 G, RH 2-way C and a veteran RW this team could make the playoffs.

Seriously.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#51 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Obviously every part of me wants to ask how the hell a guy who finished the year on the 3rd line and just put up the worst pro performance of his career is slated as the #1 Centre, but this argument is destined to go nowhere.

I can only assume that #1 on the depth chart has more to do with his "versatility" and defensive responsibility (-43 over the last 4 years) than what line he actually plays on.

Horcoff played a tonne (metric style) and against tough competition. So maybe that's why LT has him #1. He's #3 offensively and a detriment to the Powerplay, but he tries hard...so I guess that makes him the best?

Personally I think a lot of people are spotting him more respect than he earned last year because of past performances that are not likely to be repeated.

I'm thinking he probably means it in the same manor that last year played out.

ie he might not be on "the first line" but 9/10 he'll probably play more minutes then the other C's.

Avatar
#52 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

The New Jersey Devils and 92 Habs are probably the only teams in the last 30 years to win a Cup without a star center, it's just a fact.

The regular season is about highlights and health now.

How about as recently as 2007 when the Ducks won with Andy McDonald as their number one center?

Avatar
#53 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Yeah, so it's just a matter of what criteria you use to make up your depth chart.

Avatar
#54 striatic
July 11 2010, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"If they took the time to address #1 G, RH 2-way C and a veteran RW this team could make the playoffs."

LT, agree with this but oilers also need a better complete defensive option at #3D.

finding a #1G, 2-way C, veteran RW AND a complete D-man probably isn't possible this year.

thus, playoffs probably aren't possible this year.

i'd be happy if half those slots were filled this season. i think it is likely that the oilers will attempt to land a 2-way C and a veteran RW now, and find the goalie and further improve the D next summer.

Avatar
#55 Darcman
July 11 2010, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
srelio wrote:

And what is the deal with Pisani? He still doesn't have a contract anywhere right?

Can you people please keep up!! Pisani lied to the team about his UC and should not be back under any circumstances. Look at what his money could have done for the team the last couple of years had he been honest about his illness. Pisani should not be mentioned as a character player or a positive addition to the locker room. He should just not be mentioned!!!

Avatar
#56 shanetrain
July 11 2010, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

All I know is this year is going to be fun to watch again as a fan. Playoffs would be icing.

Avatar
#57 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 10:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Darcman

Whoa whoa whoa. Lied to the team? Give me proof that he maliciously deceived the club about his condition.

Dont bring him back because you have no reason to believe he can be healthy all year, not because he's a "liar".

Avatar
#58 Andrew MK20
July 11 2010, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Crosby/Malkin/Backstrom/Sedin/Thorton/Toews/Datsyk/Zetterberg/Kopitar/Richards

Getzlaf/Stamkos/BRichards/Staal/Spezza/Carter

Theirs 17 right there withouht getting into the 2 way guys like Koviu/Kesler/Sharp

Just wondering what your definition of a star/elite center is because if it is based upon offensive skill I agree with this list but I see a star NHL center like the 5 Tool Baseball player. A NHL elite center has to be a great faceoff man, at least a PPG player, and can play in all situations (PP, PK, ES, 4 on 4, etc.) So I would agree with most of the names except Jeff Carter, Eric Staal, Brad Richards, and Jason Spezza(they are all star level offensive players but have some holes to their game). Also I don't know too much because I don't watch Tampa games but does Stamkos play on the PK? Because he's an elite offensive player but I'm not sure he's a complete center quite yet.

Avatar
#59 Jeremy
July 11 2010, 10:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hey LT,

What about Olivier Roy? I know he isn't ready yet but he is eligible to play in the NHL isn't he?

Avatar
#60 D
July 11 2010, 10:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I believe that Dubnyk will have a breakout year this season. His performance towards the end of last season pointed in the right direction. His previous game in Los Angeles was unbelievable.

Avatar
#61 K
July 11 2010, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

With that depth chart, who kills penalties...besides Horcoff I mean? Maybe Penner & Cogs (if he is still around). Does Brule? Will they be good enough or will we be killed?

Avatar
#62 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 11:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

" Jeff Drouin Deslauriers will never be a starting NHL goalie " Oilers training staff

Now we all know he played last season as a starter for a long stretch, why would training staff inform me( business associate ) this then the Oilers play him ? Did they plan on losing ? Was the communication between trainers and coaching staff that bad ? Was I informed BS ?

I'm not willing to name the name of the trainer, this conversation was last season in October. My family has many business transactions with Oilers staff and players.

Avatar
#63 OilDude
July 11 2010, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

LOWETIDE,

Playoffs???? Are you kidding me...

I just hope they win a game..

No where is LT's blog did he say the Oilers would make the playoffs, all he said is if a few things were to happen they might make the playoffs. Whats the deal with you NATE ? Can't you friggen read or understand what you read all you do is whine and complain about everything,all your fancy e-mails on the radio and all your fancy posts on the internet,trying to make it sound like you know everything about the Oilers and hockey and how they should rebuild the team. Well let me tell you something ASSWIPE! your not the only one with an opinion but the difference is most of us listen to others and understand what we read and hear.So why don't you get a clue.

Avatar
#64 Lofty
July 11 2010, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
K wrote:

With that depth chart, who kills penalties...besides Horcoff I mean? Maybe Penner & Cogs (if he is still around). Does Brule? Will they be good enough or will we be killed?

~I think they're planning on not taking any penalties so there is no need for anyone else~

Avatar
#65 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 11:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Oil_Loc8or

If the training staff didnt realize that JDD would be starting a majority of games for the Oilers last year it is because they had neglected to read Khabibulin's medical history. Just another Oiler employee not doing his or her job.

Avatar
#66 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 11:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Andrew MK20 wrote:

Just wondering what your definition of a star/elite center is because if it is based upon offensive skill I agree with this list but I see a star NHL center like the 5 Tool Baseball player. A NHL elite center has to be a great faceoff man, at least a PPG player, and can play in all situations (PP, PK, ES, 4 on 4, etc.) So I would agree with most of the names except Jeff Carter, Eric Staal, Brad Richards, and Jason Spezza(they are all star level offensive players but have some holes to their game). Also I don't know too much because I don't watch Tampa games but does Stamkos play on the PK? Because he's an elite offensive player but I'm not sure he's a complete center quite yet.

So to make your list they have to play on the PK?

Why don't we take a quick look at how much PK time these guys log. I'll post regular season 09/10 PK minutes per game, then how they ranked on their team in PK minutes among forwards.

Datsyuk - :44, 8 Zetterberg - 1:03, 7 Crosby - :53, 6 Malkin - :18, 7 Backstrom - 1:05, 8 Sedin - :39, 10 Thornton - :58, 6 Kopitar - 1:35, 3 Toews - 1:32, 3 B.Richards - :27, 11 Getzlaff - :31, 11 Stamkos - 1:20, 9 M.Richards - 2:09, 3 Staal - :50, 9 Spezza - :24, 9 Carter - 1:47, 4

So out of this entire list only Kopitar, Toews, M. Richards, and Carter are one of their respective teams top 5 options at forward on the PK.

Avatar
#67 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

You could be correct since Khabibulin has had a medical history. Not doing his job ? Not sure where that came from ? This guy has been employeed by the Oilers for years and a stand up guy. I just wonder if the communication is that bad within the organization ? I read all the articles on the Nation and they are all really good. I don't buy into alot of the " Insider info " since everything that has happend in the last season no media or beat writers had a clue.

Avatar
#68 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Wow did you come up with that by yourself ? I had to give you props since your so brilliant !!!!

Avatar
#69 Crash
July 11 2010, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Andrew MK20 wrote:

Yeah but those teams that come out of nowhere usually have 1 thing in common, they all have unbelievable performances from their starting goalies. Either a highly touted prospect ie.Steve Mason, Tukka Rask, or a journeyman/backup goalie who is ready to start ie. Kiprusoff, Craig Anderson

The Oilers don't have a goalie that steals games and doesn't have a defence that can shield and protect the goal like Detroit or Chicago and they can't outscore teams like the Capitals. I do think with a good coach like Renney and if they deal Souray for picks/young assets and if Khabi is 100% healthy in the fall the likelihood of a 78-85 point season is good. Which would make them a top ten pick team.

Have a look at Dubnyk's numbers after he came back from Springfield following the Olympic break. Tell me if there isn't reason for optimism that he just might be like a Steve Mason or a Tukka Rask.

His numbers over his last 10 games were outstanding and got better and better over that period.

Avatar
#70 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

I agree Dubnyk's game was way better after the Olympics. I wish Quinn gave him more opportunities last season instead of playing JDD.

Avatar
#71 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
July 11 2010, 11:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

You could be correct since Khabibulin has had a medical history. Not doing his job ? Not sure where that came from ? This guy has been employeed by the Oilers for years and a stand up guy. I just wonder if the communication is that bad within the organization ? I read all the articles on the Nation and they are all really good. I don't buy into alot of the " Insider info " since everything that has happend in the last season no media or beat writers had a clue.

you are kidding yourself if you think no beat writers or media had a clue.

there is no way, however, they report it or make it public. The oilers are very,very good at trying to keep certain info out of the public realm.

beat writer with no access=no job=beat writer keeps quiet

Avatar
#72 Ducey
July 11 2010, 11:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

If the training staff didnt realize that JDD would be starting a majority of games for the Oilers last year it is because they had neglected to read Khabibulin's medical history. Just another Oiler employee not doing his or her job.

~Yeah, I am sure that is what happened.~

People, LT starts a perfectly good thread, and a bunch of you seem determined to turn it into the Lugnut Olympics - again.

There is too much hate in the world, and too much Hate on this site. Lets stick to making reasonable points based on evidence.

Avatar
#73 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Andrew MK20 wrote:

Just wondering what your definition of a star/elite center is because if it is based upon offensive skill I agree with this list but I see a star NHL center like the 5 Tool Baseball player. A NHL elite center has to be a great faceoff man, at least a PPG player, and can play in all situations (PP, PK, ES, 4 on 4, etc.) So I would agree with most of the names except Jeff Carter, Eric Staal, Brad Richards, and Jason Spezza(they are all star level offensive players but have some holes to their game). Also I don't know too much because I don't watch Tampa games but does Stamkos play on the PK? Because he's an elite offensive player but I'm not sure he's a complete center quite yet.

That's the problem when we try and list off who is a "star" and who isn't.

Everyone has differenct criteria/cut-offs.

That said though, my main point was that the center position is very very deep in the NHL, off the top of my head theirs probably 15 centers that are as effecitive (or more) then then the top 7 wingers.....which should then indicate that most good teams are going to have a really good center, because theirs alot of them.

Avatar
#74 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Wow did you come up with that by yourself ? I had to give you props since your so brilliant !!!!

Hur Hur.

Let me make sure I have it right - you mock it for being a weak shot and then take the same shot back at me? Brilliant. I was kidding around, but now I'm not so sure I was wrong.

Let me ask you this - why would the training staff have any idea if he would make it as an NHL starter or not unless he has an injury of some kind?

Avatar
#75 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 11:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

Feel free to inform me anything they knew. Yes they have access to the players and staff. They aren't informed anything. How many of Jim Mathesons BS trades come through ? Did the Oilers ever want Seguin ? What a suprise trainers and scouts fired with no clue from the media. In fact they wrote articles and blogs whinning about it.

Avatar
#76 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 11:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Have a look at Dubnyk's numbers after he came back from Springfield following the Olympic break. Tell me if there isn't reason for optimism that he just might be like a Steve Mason or a Tukka Rask.

His numbers over his last 10 games were outstanding and got better and better over that period.

He had a good 10 games. Let's maybe wait for a slightly bigger sample of success.

Avatar
#77 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 11:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

That's the problem when we try and list off who is a "star" and who isn't.

Everyone has differenct criteria/cut-offs.

That said though, my main point was that the center position is very very deep in the NHL, off the top of my head theirs probably 15 centers that are as effecitive (or more) then then the top 7 wingers.....which should then indicate that most good teams are going to have a really good center, because theirs alot of them.

Even then 30 of the last 10 cups were won by lower tier #1 centers.

In my opinion depth at center is more important than the peak abilities of the top one.

Avatar
#78 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 11:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Dude you always get worked up. That's what I like about your comments. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with injuries. I took it as he has seen lots of young tenders and felt JDD wasn't going to be a NHL star. He could be wrong he works for the Oilers and everyones opinion is different when it comes to hockey players etc.

Avatar
#79 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
July 11 2010, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Feel free to inform me anything they knew. Yes they have access to the players and staff. They aren't informed anything. How many of Jim Mathesons BS trades come through ? Did the Oilers ever want Seguin ? What a suprise trainers and scouts fired with no clue from the media. In fact they wrote articles and blogs whinning about it.

im not really sure if you are being sarcastic or just an idiot. lets try and use just a touch of common sense for 1 second.

1) seguin was stu macgregors choice up to about a month before the draft. perhaps the source brownlee, matty, stauffer etc was someone around macgregor? head scout likes a guy, good chance he might be the one picked? no?

2) mathesons bs trades? he never says they are fact. please show a link where he says player A will be traded for player B.

3) the oilers for the last 30 years have tried to control the info that comes out in the media. go read up on bob mckenzies comments about the aftermath for the "oilers drug problem" articles from the 80s. you have a source you claim? ask him about the number of reporters that have been blackballed by the team and lost their jobs because of it. Ever wonder why tencer and the crew always try and find the positives?

Avatar
#80 Quicksilver ballet
July 11 2010, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It's dissapointing to see some of those names still on that depth chart. 4 yrs being on the outside looking in has marginalized many of their values. I know Tambellini tried his darndest to ship out the likes of Penner and Hemsky but these guys should be moved sooner than later or we'll and up with a Kaberle situation.

Avatar
#81 andrewmk20
July 11 2010, 12:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

So to make your list they have to play on the PK?

Why don't we take a quick look at how much PK time these guys log. I'll post regular season 09/10 PK minutes per game, then how they ranked on their team in PK minutes among forwards.

Datsyuk - :44, 8 Zetterberg - 1:03, 7 Crosby - :53, 6 Malkin - :18, 7 Backstrom - 1:05, 8 Sedin - :39, 10 Thornton - :58, 6 Kopitar - 1:35, 3 Toews - 1:32, 3 B.Richards - :27, 11 Getzlaff - :31, 11 Stamkos - 1:20, 9 M.Richards - 2:09, 3 Staal - :50, 9 Spezza - :24, 9 Carter - 1:47, 4

So out of this entire list only Kopitar, Toews, M. Richards, and Carter are one of their respective teams top 5 options at forward on the PK.

where did you get these numbers? also maybe i should clarify, they should be strong two way centers. Also I said they should be able to play in all situations not that they necessarily have to. In that list how many of those centers are good defensive forwards. Thornton, Backstrom, Sedin, Spezza, and Malkin wouldn't be included on that list. But those guys are all capable of being 90+ point players.

But let's face it there are so many minute details to being a no.1 center which is why they are so rare. The list could go on and on as to what makes a no.1 center. But we can't argue that they don't grow on trees. But that argument has nothing to do with the fact that you need a great team, not just a no.1 center, to win cups.

Avatar
#82 GSC
July 11 2010, 12:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Another pending Horcoff debate.

Oh goodie.

When the same person continues to trumpet him as a #1 centre, what do you expect? It's like a broken record with Lowetide when it comes to Horcoff.

Avatar
#83 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 12:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

I don't have a source, I know one of the team trainers. Seguin was McGregors choice up to about a month before the draft according to who ? If you come up with trade rumors every day your making yourself less reliabe as an insider when you have no information to go by. It doesn't surprise me the Oilers control the information going out to the media, so where is the insider information ? Made up from a opinion after a conversation nothing more. I don't listen to Tencer. Souray talked to the media just not the Edmonton media. Is it possible the new younger team doesn't interact with the media and beat writers like the past years ? None of the insiders you said are employeed by the Oilers so if they have information why don't they write about it ? That's how they get paid.

Avatar
#84 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Dude you always get worked up. That's what I like about your comments. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with injuries. I took it as he has seen lots of young tenders and felt JDD wasn't going to be a NHL star. He could be wrong he works for the Oilers and everyones opinion is different when it comes to hockey players etc.

How do you get "worked up" from my reply?

Truth is I am exactly the opposite. Pretty much nothing gets me worked up. I just enjoy lively conversation.

Avatar
#85 Crash
July 11 2010, 12:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The team is going to be young for the most part and a lot of how good they are will hang on just how good these guys are. How good will Paajarvi be, Eberle be, Hall be, Dubnyk be? This answer to this question will have a direct influence on the chances of making the playoffs this year.

I would like to choose to believe that the already established young players will continue to get better (ie: Gagner, Brule, Cogliano, Peckham, Smid, etc.)

Brule and Penner found some good chemistry last year and have the makings of a good line and obviously having a healthy Hemsky will go a long way towards determining the chances of a playoff spot. I'd like to see the Oilers make Gagner our #1C and let him run with it. IMO Gagner is on the verge of rewarding us handsomely if we could just give him the role and quit screwing around with him.

So I choose to go with optimism that Dubnyk's last 10 games last year weren't a fluke and he arrived late last year. I choose to believe that Paajarvi, Eberle and Hall can have some immediate impact into improving the lineup we had last year. With so many new faces there's no way of knowing at this point but it's possible that this could be a pretty good club this season.

Sure it's possible that the entire group falls flat on their faces, but then again, maybe not.

Avatar
#86 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 12:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
andrewmk20 wrote:

where did you get these numbers? also maybe i should clarify, they should be strong two way centers. Also I said they should be able to play in all situations not that they necessarily have to. In that list how many of those centers are good defensive forwards. Thornton, Backstrom, Sedin, Spezza, and Malkin wouldn't be included on that list. But those guys are all capable of being 90+ point players.

But let's face it there are so many minute details to being a no.1 center which is why they are so rare. The list could go on and on as to what makes a no.1 center. But we can't argue that they don't grow on trees. But that argument has nothing to do with the fact that you need a great team, not just a no.1 center, to win cups.

NHL.com.

#1 centers aren't aren't that rare though. If you can win a cup with Andy McDonald or Scott Gomez as your number one center I'd suggest that perhaps you are overstating what goes into the job description.

Avatar
#87 Crash
July 11 2010, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

He had a good 10 games. Let's maybe wait for a slightly bigger sample of success.

It's reason for optimism...I saw things in his game and about him that tells me he's going to be a good NHL goatender yet most on here already have him written off.

Avatar
#88 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

It's reason for optimism...I saw things in his game and about him that tells me he's going to be a good NHL goatender yet most on here already have him written off.

Fair enough. Just don't count on a big season next year.

Besides, that way you'll get a nice surprise if it happens.

Avatar
#89 Crash
July 11 2010, 12:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Fair enough. Just don't count on a big season next year.

Besides, that way you'll get a nice surprise if it happens.

Yes I agree...I'm not actually counting on anything but I do believe the chances are there for the makings of a pretty good team...so if it happens it will be a nice surprise but it won't be a complete surprise.

But as I mentioned it depends on how good the 3 new young guys are and either of how healthy Khabibulin is or how good Dubnyk really is.

Oh and Hemsky has to stay healthy.

Avatar
#90 Skidplate
July 11 2010, 12:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Yes I agree...I'm not actually counting on anything but I do believe the chances are there for the makings of a pretty good team...so if it happens it will be a nice surprise but it won't be a complete surprise.

But as I mentioned it depends on how good the 3 new young guys are and either of how healthy Khabibulin is or how good Dubnyk really is.

Oh and Hemsky has to stay healthy.

Don't you mean Hemsky has to GET healthy?

Avatar
#91 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 12:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@GSC

I don't think horcoff is a number 1 center. What line is he best suited ? All the talk here is we need a three center. So horcoff is second line ? Do we put that much on Gagner and make him number one ? Did Gagner prove he is ready ?

Avatar
#92 Crash
July 11 2010, 12:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Skidplate wrote:

Don't you mean Hemsky has to GET healthy?

Well unless he's had some recent problems in his rehab I do believe he's there now so when the season starts he will be healthy and needs to stay that way.

Avatar
#93 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 12:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ducey wrote:

~Yeah, I am sure that is what happened.~

People, LT starts a perfectly good thread, and a bunch of you seem determined to turn it into the Lugnut Olympics - again.

There is too much hate in the world, and too much Hate on this site. Lets stick to making reasonable points based on evidence.

Why did you quote my post for this response? Was it by mistake?

The comment you quoted was in response to an anonymous poster claiming a member of the training staff told him that he didnt think JDD would ever be a starter. Considering the scheduled #1 starter has a storied career of injuries and was over 35 at the time, I think it's safe to say that the trainer in question (who was apparently giving information to outsiders and was also on the staff that allowed a club record of injuries to occur) was not performing his duties to the best of his abilities, as it was perfectly reasonable to assume that JDD would be playing a lot last year.

Avatar
#94 Skidplate
July 11 2010, 12:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Well unless he's had some recent problems in his rehab I do believe he's there now so when the season starts he will be healthy and needs to stay that way.

I believe that Hemsky's injury is the same as Horcoff's, so there is no reason to believe he is goint to be healthy this season.

Avatar
#95 AndrewMK20
July 11 2010, 12:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

NHL.com.

#1 centers aren't aren't that rare though. If you can win a cup with Andy McDonald or Scott Gomez as your number one center I'd suggest that perhaps you are overstating what goes into the job description.

Winning cups has nothing to do with no.1 centers to that I agree. But just because your team has depth and is a great club in the case of Anaheim and New Jersey, that doesn't make McDonald or Gomez no.1 centers. I think the Rangers and the Canadiens would attest to the fact that Gomez isn't a number 1 center. He isn't capable of carrying the load as his numbers have fluctuated greatly depending on who he's played with. McDonald has yet to show that he can consistently put up 75+ points per year over a full NHL season.

While others like a Joe Thornton, Sedin, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc. have all shown that they can carry the load when their clubs need them to as they consistently put up numbers despite roster changes, injuries, and other factors that come into play during the course of a season.

It's a case of the team playing so well that GM's and coaches wrongfully tag players with a superstar label. Look at Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, and in the Oilers case Shawn Horcoff.

While number one centers aren't necessary to win a cup that doesn't make them a common commodity.

Avatar
#96 Oil_Loc8or
July 11 2010, 12:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

My comments were to inform Nation readers on what I have heard. I don't think that any team going into a season is expecting the starting tender to be injured for 3/4 of the season. The trainers work hard to improve the players during the season and rehab the injuries, was there a article on the nation regarding the training staff ? Did you not defend the trainers and side with the writers about how the trainers were fired in a wrong matter ? Do you think the Oilers staff and players don't have personal or business relationships and chit chat ?I can see where I was wrong, I'm not a media guy or beat writer. I shouldn't have wrote anything regarding the matter.

Avatar
#97 Crash
July 11 2010, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Skidplate wrote:

I believe that Hemsky's injury is the same as Horcoff's, so there is no reason to believe he is goint to be healthy this season.

Really? NO reason at all?

Avatar
#98 Skidplate
July 11 2010, 01:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Really? NO reason at all?

Well, lets see, Horcoff has taken 2 full seasons and he is not fully recovered. Hemsky got injured part way through last season, so IF the injury is the same, then I would not expect Hemsky to be healthy until next season earliest.

Avatar
#99 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 01:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Oil_Loc8or

I'm not blasting you, I just think it's comical that a club with an injury prone goalie in the twilight of his career would think their backup wouldnt be a starter.

I know the trainers work hard. My issue wasnt ever that they got canned, its that they got canned with the explanation that the team needed a culture change. Not that they were canned, but how they were canned.

You can write whatever you want, just as I can do the same, we just cant expect our interactions with Oilers staff to bear any weight because we have fake internet names like archaeologuy and oil_loc8tor.

Avatar
#100 Darcman
July 11 2010, 01:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa. Lied to the team? Give me proof that he maliciously deceived the club about his condition.

Dont bring him back because you have no reason to believe he can be healthy all year, not because he's a "liar".

In his interview with nhl.com he stated he had been diagnosed with UC before signing the big deal. Did he reveal this to the oiler doctors? He said he did not. How would you feel as an employer if you gave a contract to a person who knew that he might not be able to fulfill that contract? Would you offer them another contract?

Comments are closed for this article.