Oilers Depth Chart 2010

Lowetide
July 11 2010 06:36AM

With the draft over and the first blush of free agency in the rear-view, this is an excellent time to have a look at the Oilers depth chart. It is striking to see just how much work is left to be done; I wonder if the Oilers want to address some of the obvious problems (G, veteran presence up front) this summer. A lottery pick becomes a distant bell with an improved lineup. It might be better to run with the kids.

Here is the depth chart (my list, your slotting may be different) but it gives us a general idea about where this team is heading. Strong roster options (based on management comments and logic) in italics.

 

GOAL

  1. Nikolai Khabibulin
  2. Jeff Drouin Deslauriers (RFA, filed for arbitration)
  3. Devan Dubnyk (RFA)
  4. Bryan Pitton

This is a mess for a couple of reasons. Khabibulin's trial makes moving one of the kids less likely, meaning the Oilers may be forced to go with the three-headed goalie system for a time this fall. NK's injury last season casts further doubt on the position, but if you're the Oilers playing the two kids 60% of the time might be a way to "Denver boot" the 10-11 season.

 

DEFENSE

  1. Ryan Whitney
  2. Tom Gilbert
  3. Sheldon Souray (outcast)
  4. Ladislav Smid
  5. Kurtis Foster
  6. Jim Vandermeer
  7. Jason Strudwick
  8. Theo Peckham
  9. Alex Plante
  10. Jeff Petry
  11. Taylor Chorney
  12. Richard Petiot
  13. Johan Motin
  14. Jake Taylor
  15. Jordan Bendfeld

The Souray return will impact the depth chart, as Theo Peckham will need to clear waivers this fall. Should the club acquire a defenseman, that might spell the end of Jason Strudwick's NHL career. I like the top pairing (Whitney-Gilbert) and if Smid-Foster can work together this team has a decent top 4D (much better than 2006 summer, as an example). If the team deals Souray for a defenseman, I'd prefer a "wide range of skills" type as opposed to a puck mover or a stay-at-home type.

 

CENTER

  1. Shawn Horcoff
  2. Sam Gagner
  3. Gilbert Brule
  4. Colin Fraser
  5. Andrew Cogliano
  6. Brad Moran
  7. Ryan O'Marra
  8. Chris Vande Velde
  9. Milan Kytnar

There's a lot of good future here and this is a big season for the kids. If Gagner can take over some of the tougher minutes (and begin to relieve Shawn Horcoff of the heavy lifting) this position will be much better a year from now. Brule is a developing talent coming off a solid offensive season, but there's not much evidence available to suggest he should play the tough minutes. Just so we're clear, I have Brule listed as the #3C but would not want him near a checking-style line. Soft minutes and PP time are the ticket for him. Colin Fraser could help a wayward PK, and we should be watching Vande Velde with interest (Horcoff didn't take much AHL time to be NHL ready).

 

LEFT WING

  1. Dustin Penner
  2. Magnus Pääjärvi
  3. Taylor Hall
  4. Steve MaCintyre
  5. Linus Omark
  6. JF Jacques
  7. Teemu Hartikainen
  8. Philippe Cornet
  9. Matt Marquardt

Not a veteran checker in the bunch, but some sublime talent. Penner is the Oilers best player based on last season's results, and the two kids have the fanbase acting (with good reason) like the kids who saw the Beatles at Shea in 1965. This depth chart went from Penner and crap to something very special in a very short period of time. We can only hope for the same timeline in goal.

 

RIGHT WING

  1. Ales Hemsky
  2. Jordan Eberle
  3. Ryan Jones
  4. Zack Stortini
  5. Alexandre Giroux
  6. Liam Reddox
  7. Ben Ondrus
  8. Colin McDonald

Hemsky is a ridiculous talent and a healthy season from this player means the Oilers win more hockey games than a year ago. Eberle is establishing himself as a strong option, although kids listed at C and LW (Brule, Cogliano, Omark) might grab top 6 minutes. Jones and Stortini look like they'll fight it out for 3line minutes unless the club addresses the issue (there are rumors--from Rishaug again--that Asham is a player of interest) in the next few weeks.

I usually miss a player or two, please pass along and I'll fix later. Either way, this is a way better hockey club than a year ago if they can stay reasonably healthy. If they took the time to address #1 G, RH 2-way C and a veteran RW this team could make the playoffs.

Seriously.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#1 bdhs
July 11 2010, 06:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wow, a playoff team? DO you really think so?

I figure 11th or 12th and a shot the year after. Too many holes this season. Smid and Foster as the second pair doesn't do much for me.

Not done yet though, I guess we'll see what Souray brings and I presume Cogliano is done too. Those two might bring a little to shore up the roster.

Avatar
#2 Death Metal Nightmare
July 11 2010, 07:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

yeah, i believe playoffs if they had solid options at the positions mentioned. why not? if you ride good goaltending and everyone plays a system correctly anything is possible in this league.

health is the biggest issue. Hemsky needs close to a full season, Horcoff needs to bounce back and the Defense needs to keep shots to the perimeter (along with improved special teams play). long list to make the playoffs but i guess we'll have to wait and see how this roster looks along with everyone elses to make a final read. hell, if the Avalanche made the playoffs last year...

Avatar
#3 Bar Qu
July 11 2010, 07:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I would prefer not a playoff team, but entertaining hockey and a 25th place finish.

There is lots of goals going both ways based on what we see here - I can't see a Vandermeer-Strudwick pairing being much help to JDD in keeping the puck out of the net and Hall is going to finish some of those sweet PP passes from either Hemsky or Gagner.

Traditionally the Oil have iced a team with fatal holes in the line-up and perhaps this year they continue that tradition. But it is nice to see this line-up is significantly better than the one iced last year so a little bit of hope is not undue.

Avatar
#4 the tikk
July 11 2010, 07:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LT, I think you mean that Fraser can help on the PK (unless I'm missing something).

I remain very doubtful of playoffs - we just don't have the defensive jam to compensate for the first-hand learning that the kids'll be doing.

To be an Oilers fan is to dare to dream, though, so... you never know.

Avatar
#5 Crackenbury
July 11 2010, 07:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Spezza would look good in that lineup. Is that horse dead after the Senators paid out his bonus? Are teams not allowed to send money back as part of a trade anymore?

Avatar
#6 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 07:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oilerdon't have a true #1 goalie, #1 Center, or #1 Dman...

Start the parade!

Saying Hemsky's going to need a healthy is an understatement..

Since the lockout Hemsky's missed 96 games to Souray's 103....

Not much seperating the two but a bandaid perceptions..

Oilers =25th overall

Avatar
#7 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 07:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LOWETIDE,

Playoffs???? Are you kidding me...

I just hope they win a game..

Avatar
#8 gogliano
July 11 2010, 07:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The huge question mark right now is goal. Depth in defense, and C/RW are issues, but running out the three-headed monster and having Khabi not play or go down to injury makes this a lottery team. If it were intentional, one might call it the L.A. model for a rebuild.

But JDD/DD for even a couple weeks will be enough to kill any playoff hopes, I think--even if we add a couple vets at C/RW and defense.

Avatar
#9 Skidplate
July 11 2010, 07:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Am I wrong or is Hemsky's injury similar to Horcoffs's? If so, I think we can forget about Hemsky being healthy or anywhere near his best this season.

Avatar
#10 Reagan
July 11 2010, 08:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

LOWETIDE,

Playoffs???? Are you kidding me...

I just hope they win a game..

Anything is possible provided they stay healthy and gel together.

Look at what Colorado did?

Avatar
#11 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 08:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Craig Anderson stood on his head..

Kyle Quincey had an outstatding breakout season

Stastny, Duchene, O'Reily are a legetimante 1,2,3 centers...

Comparing the Oilers to last years Avs is an insult to the Avs.

Avatar
#12 Crackenbury
July 11 2010, 08:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Nate Full of Hate

That's a lot of negativity before training camp even opens. It can't be much fun to be continuously pissed.

Avatar
#13 Moose
July 11 2010, 08:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LT,

Don't forget that even if they acquire another d-men in the Souray deal they can always push Strudwick up front. It's not ideal, but it gives them options in case one of the kids isn't quite ready and needs some time in OKC.

Avatar
#14 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 08:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Oiler fans need to temper their enthusiams maybe? depends how you look at it...

After playing about 20 games Whitney is now "the man"

Hemsky hasn't really been healthy in awhile...

And Khabiblulin ...well we all know what he's about so I ask you, what's not to hate?

Avatar
#15 Darkhours
July 11 2010, 08:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The word "playoffs" should be forbidden in this forum for the next year. A proper rebuild will require 1 more year of adding prospects, getting OK city going, and ridding the team of old talent. It sure looks as if it will be worth the wait based the on what is currently in the system.

Avatar
#16 Crackenbury
July 11 2010, 08:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Goaltending is the biggest question mark for me. Khabibulin is a great goaltender when healthy, but his health is a serious concern. I find it strange that there have been no updates whatsoever on his recovery. Maybe it's at the request of his DUI lawyers.

It seems to me that he will be found guilty, it's just a matter of the sentence. If convicted is there any recourse for the Oilers to petition to have his contract voided? If his back is still a question mark that might be an option.

Avatar
#17 srelio
July 11 2010, 08:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

And what is the deal with Pisani? He still doesn't have a contract anywhere right?

Avatar
#18 DonDon
July 11 2010, 08:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Going into next season, what is the prognosis on the health of Khabibulin, Horcoff, Hemsky? Will they be back to 100% for TC? With Khabibulin, it is a back problem; back problems are very iffy as to full recovery, particularly at his age. Would the Oil look at picking up someone like Turco on a one-year contract and then go with DD?

At this point, the club looks far better than last year, but last year was a 30th place finish, not even close to 29th. Still missing a true 1st line C and couple of NHL D.

Lots of AHL players on the roster. Anything new on the coaching staff?

Avatar
#19 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 08:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Another pending Horcoff debate.

Oh goodie.

Avatar
#20 Tha Legion
July 11 2010, 08:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If Bulin stays healthy I can see the Oilers making the post season, terrific goalie I say.

Avatar
#21 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 08:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

Craig Anderson stood on his head..

Kyle Quincey had an outstatding breakout season

Stastny, Duchene, O'Reily are a legetimante 1,2,3 centers...

Comparing the Oilers to last years Avs is an insult to the Avs.

Full of hate, empty on brains.

Avatar
#22 Crackenbury
July 11 2010, 08:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

Oiler fans need to temper their enthusiams maybe? depends how you look at it...

After playing about 20 games Whitney is now "the man"

Hemsky hasn't really been healthy in awhile...

And Khabiblulin ...well we all know what he's about so I ask you, what's not to hate?

Temper their enthusiasm? LT suggests we address our goaltending, find a 2 way center and add another right winger and we might make the playoffs. That's just realistic in today's NHL. Philadelphia and Colorado are a couple of recent examples. What's not realistic is to expect them to be in a lottery position next year. There have been some significant upgrades in personnel this offseason, most notably in the size of players being brought in, particularly defense. This team is already significantly better than last years lineup. There's no reason not to think with a few more changes they can challenge for a bottom playoff spot. I know one thing, you won't find a professional athlete in any sport that goes into a season with an attitude they can't compete.

Avatar
#23 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 09:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Full of hate, empty on brains.

So exactly where was I wrong in regards to the Avs last season?

Matt Duchene will be the Avs #1 center before the next Olympics and O'Reilly is a perfect #3 Center...

@ $500 000 Kyle Quincey played about 24 minutes a night...

Craig Anderson was out his mind last year.

The Oilers 2010 won't catch anyone off guard.

Avatar
#24 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 09:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Making the playoffs this season would be counter productive.

Edmonton's goal this season should be to stay safe, have fun, find out what works where, and add to the puzzle via the lotto again.

Hope that Hemsky/Penner have great starts to increase their value in a trade around January.

Avatar
#25 Crackenbury
July 11 2010, 09:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

Making the playoffs this season would be counter productive.

Edmonton's goal this season should be to stay safe, have fun, find out what works where, and add to the puzzle via the lotto again.

Hope that Hemsky/Penner have great starts to increase their value in a trade around January.

You really don't understand professional sports and athletes do you? Is this madjam under a different name?

Avatar
#26 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

So exactly where was I wrong in regards to the Avs last season?

Matt Duchene will be the Avs #1 center before the next Olympics and O'Reilly is a perfect #3 Center...

@ $500 000 Kyle Quincey played about 24 minutes a night...

Craig Anderson was out his mind last year.

The Oilers 2010 won't catch anyone off guard.

Not so much that post, more just you in general.

Anyways, their is some similarities between the two clubs, an infusion of young talent for one. Now a suprise performance or two and who knows.

Avatar
#27 Ducey
July 11 2010, 09:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LT,

Playoffs seem like a remote possibility to me. This team gave up 60 more goals than they scored last year. They need to even that out just to be considered in the playoff picture.

They may make up some of that deficit by scoring more goals but there will have to be a huge improvement in GA.

While some of the rookies may score a few more points than their predecesors, they are also going to get exposed on defensive coverages.

Special teams will be uneven.

I don't see the D being even league average. There is no shutdown pair.

Goaltending is the boat anchor. Even if Bulin escapes Alcatraz, he has a wonky back, dehydration problems, and father time is creeping up on him. DD has some potential but young goalies will break your heart.

Don't forget there will be some injuries. Hemsky, Bulin, and Smid will start slow.

I see this team as being similar to Tampa Bay last year. Some nice offensive vets, some high ceiling rookies, a second tier defence and wonky goaltending. 25th place.

Could the additions you suggest make enough of a difference to knock Calgary from 8th place in the west? They would have to be some very high end upgrades - and bringing those in would likely cost too much of the future.

Avatar
#28 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 09:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

You sound like a season ticket holder, not someone with a Stanley Cup on your mind.

crawl before you walk...

Without a #1 center Edmonton will be no further ahead this year or next, or the year after that.

Avatar
#29 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 09:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ryan Whitney's feet...

Avatar
#30 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

You sound like a season ticket holder, not someone with a Stanley Cup on your mind.

crawl before you walk...

Without a #1 center Edmonton will be no further ahead this year or next, or the year after that.

#1 centers are great, but their affect on the overal record of a team is way blown out of proportion.

The whole season doesn't rest on who has the best 1C.

ie a team with 2, top 5 centers (Pitsburg) finishing behind teams with:

Roy/Zajac/Lombardi

As their top centers.

Avatar
#31 Andrew MK20
July 11 2010, 09:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hate to say it but I kind of agree with Nate Hate. Not with everything but Oilers fans need to temper their expectations. I would compare this club with Tampa after they drafted Stamkos more than with Colorado. Both clubs have major question marks in goal. A defence that isn't very balanced as they both lack depth The Oilers have a solid top 4 but not a playoff top 4). Both clubs also have some good offensive talent, but Tampa would have the edge there.

This year is about evaluating who is truly part of the rebuild. Playoffs just aren't in the picture, not to say we all wouldn't be happy to see a berth. But let's face it why would the fans want the team to make the playoffs knowing full well they aren't a cup contender. As a fan I was really frustrated seeing the team make it from 97 to 2001 and 2003 and they would exit early and then get a middling pick. I'd rather them play hard, play the young guys to gain experience, and then draft in the top 5.

Avatar
#32 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

#1 centers are great, but their affect on the overal record of a team is way blown out of proportion.

The whole season doesn't rest on who has the best 1C.

ie a team with 2, top 5 centers (Pitsburg) finishing behind teams with:

Roy/Zajac/Lombardi

As their top centers.

The New Jersey Devils and 92 Habs are probably the only teams in the last 30 years to win a Cup without a star center, it's just a fact.

The regular season is about highlights and health now.

Avatar
#33 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Andrew MK20 wrote:

Hate to say it but I kind of agree with Nate Hate. Not with everything but Oilers fans need to temper their expectations. I would compare this club with Tampa after they drafted Stamkos more than with Colorado. Both clubs have major question marks in goal. A defence that isn't very balanced as they both lack depth The Oilers have a solid top 4 but not a playoff top 4). Both clubs also have some good offensive talent, but Tampa would have the edge there.

This year is about evaluating who is truly part of the rebuild. Playoffs just aren't in the picture, not to say we all wouldn't be happy to see a berth. But let's face it why would the fans want the team to make the playoffs knowing full well they aren't a cup contender. As a fan I was really frustrated seeing the team make it from 97 to 2001 and 2003 and they would exit early and then get a middling pick. I'd rather them play hard, play the young guys to gain experience, and then draft in the top 5.

I'm not saying they are going to make the PO, but it is a possibility. Every year theirs 3-4 teams that come out of no where to get in.

I'd slot the team in the 8-11 range.

Avatar
#34 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

The New Jersey Devils and 92 Habs are probably the only teams in the last 30 years to win a Cup without a star center, it's just a fact.

The regular season is about highlights and health now.

That's because theirs probably 15-20 "star centers" in the league.

Avatar
#35 Bar Qu
July 11 2010, 09:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Debates over whether having a shutdown D, top centres or killer goaltending are foolish. The trick is to have a team that can score more goals than the opposition - and there are numerous ways to do that. Having a roster which is balanced (strengths of some players matching the weaknesses of others and vice versa) should be the goal of any GM/coaching staff.

Right now the strengths of the forwards may not compensate adequately for the weaknesses of the D and G's. Which as I said may mean entertaining hockey and a lower finish in the standings (20-25 would be good for me).

ST still has time to fix some holes though ...

Avatar
#36 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bar Qu wrote:

Debates over whether having a shutdown D, top centres or killer goaltending are foolish. The trick is to have a team that can score more goals than the opposition - and there are numerous ways to do that. Having a roster which is balanced (strengths of some players matching the weaknesses of others and vice versa) should be the goal of any GM/coaching staff.

Right now the strengths of the forwards may not compensate adequately for the weaknesses of the D and G's. Which as I said may mean entertaining hockey and a lower finish in the standings (20-25 would be good for me).

ST still has time to fix some holes though ...

Exactly.

It's a team game, and though some positions may be more impactful, their impact is probably blown out of proportion.

Avatar
#37 Andrew MK20
July 11 2010, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yeah but those teams that come out of nowhere usually have 1 thing in common, they all have unbelievable performances from their starting goalies. Either a highly touted prospect ie.Steve Mason, Tukka Rask, or a journeyman/backup goalie who is ready to start ie. Kiprusoff, Craig Anderson

The Oilers don't have a goalie that steals games and doesn't have a defence that can shield and protect the goal like Detroit or Chicago and they can't outscore teams like the Capitals. I do think with a good coach like Renney and if they deal Souray for picks/young assets and if Khabi is 100% healthy in the fall the likelihood of a 78-85 point season is good. Which would make them a top ten pick team.

Avatar
#38 Crackenbury
July 11 2010, 09:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

It's one thing to re-evaluate your team part way through a season and determine you don't have what it takes to compete. The Oilers are a significantly different team this year. I'll wait to see how the season goes before I relegate them to a lottery pick before the season starts. One or two players having a career year instead of getting injured could make a huge difference.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst and see what happens. Fans that want to write them off already are afraid of another season of disappointment. Like my dad used to say: "You can't succeed in life with a fear of failure"

Avatar
#39 Traktor
July 11 2010, 09:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Playing with Penner and Hemsky is not heavy lifting.

Anson Carter was not heavy lifting when he played with the Sedin's.

Avatar
#40 Nate Full of Hate
July 11 2010, 09:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

And those 15-20 teams make the playoffs where as the Oilers do not...

Centers=puck possession and until the Oilers figure that out they'll be the ones chasing and pulling the out of their net.

Avatar
#41 AndrewMK20
July 11 2010, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Also the 92-93 Habs had Damphousse at no.1 and surrounded him with the likes of Muller, Leclair, Rick Dipietro (who had a really good playoff performance) Carbonneau, etc. The Habs were a really good team that year and had a lot of depth. At that time Damphousse was definitely a legitimate top line center as he had posted totals of 89 points the previous season with EDM and then 97 points in 92-93.

And to address the center issue there are definitely fewer than 15-20 star centers. The NHL has maybe 10 legitimate star centers in the league.

Avatar
#42 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

And those 15-20 teams make the playoffs where as the Oilers do not...

Centers=puck possession and until the Oilers figure that out they'll be the ones chasing and pulling the out of their net.

Balogny. I just showed you three teams that finished top 8 in the league that didn't have "legit" number 1 centers.

Avatar
#43 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 09:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
AndrewMK20 wrote:

Also the 92-93 Habs had Damphousse at no.1 and surrounded him with the likes of Muller, Leclair, Rick Dipietro (who had a really good playoff performance) Carbonneau, etc. The Habs were a really good team that year and had a lot of depth. At that time Damphousse was definitely a legitimate top line center as he had posted totals of 89 points the previous season with EDM and then 97 points in 92-93.

And to address the center issue there are definitely fewer than 15-20 star centers. The NHL has maybe 10 legitimate star centers in the league.

Crosby/Malkin/Backstrom/Sedin/Thorton/Toews/Datsyk/Zetterberg/Kopitar/Richards

Getzlaf/Stamkos/BRichards/Staal/Spezza/Carter

Theirs 17 right there withouht getting into the 2 way guys like Koviu/Kesler/Sharp

Avatar
#44 Doughboy
July 11 2010, 10:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Personally I'd like to see Bulin walk.

The reason being that I think between Deslauriers and Dubnyk you eventually have one career starter and one career backup (As to which is which, who knows?).

Deslauriers might have already been there, or have already proven that he doesn't have it, had the Oilers not buried him in the system for so many years. The middle of a rebuild - with all its lowered expectations - is the perfect time to see what we really have (or could have) in these goaltending prospects.

I say this because, between them, I don't think these kids suck to the point where they'll drain All the energy out of the skaters (This space has spent ample time articulating the failings of the 09-10 TEAM).

Should either goalie establish himself, then you can tack a Fuhr/Moog figure onto this crop of up-and-comers.

Not that such comparisons are healthy.

Avatar
#45 madjam
July 11 2010, 10:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

CONTEMPLATION ? What is the first youth movement worth and for how long ? Gagner , Cogs and Brule . Will any of them be top six in two seasons or will they be another Nilsson . Will any of them be a very good bottom six player considering they are not overly defensive or physical ?

All 3 are coming into what should be their most productive years (4-5) . What sort of committment and contract length and salary should Oilers be looking at to retain them or entertain moving one or more of them ?

Horcoff is another they will have to entertain moving if next season things don't improve on his part .

Lots of work to be done by Tams yet in this off season ! Taking some iffy veterans and first youth group for trade bait, and could you imagine having the likes of a J.Stall, C. Phillips and/or a Spezza in Oilers lineup to start season with our merging youth ? Some veterans like Souray may kick themselves in butt for wanting out before Tams finishes putting more touches on next years squad .

I think it is maybe to early to tell just what Tams might be able to line up just yet in upgrades this time around ? Upgrades ? Haven't dared use that in a while now have we . I want upgrades not fillins thank you muchly .

Avatar
#46 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 10:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Another pending Horcoff debate.

Oh goodie.

Obviously every part of me wants to ask how the hell a guy who finished the year on the 3rd line and just put up the worst pro performance of his career is slated as the #1 Centre, but this argument is destined to go nowhere.

I can only assume that #1 on the depth chart has more to do with his "versatility" and defensive responsibility (-43 over the last 4 years) than what line he actually plays on.

Horcoff played a tonne (metric style) and against tough competition. So maybe that's why LT has him #1. He's #3 offensively and a detriment to the Powerplay, but he tries hard...so I guess that makes him the best?

Personally I think a lot of people are spotting him more respect than he earned last year because of past performances that are not likely to be repeated.

Avatar
#47 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 11 2010, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Obviously every part of me wants to ask how the hell a guy who finished the year on the 3rd line and just put up the worst pro performance of his career is slated as the #1 Centre, but this argument is destined to go nowhere.

I can only assume that #1 on the depth chart has more to do with his "versatility" and defensive responsibility (-43 over the last 4 years) than what line he actually plays on.

Horcoff played a tonne (metric style) and against tough competition. So maybe that's why LT has him #1. He's #3 offensively and a detriment to the Powerplay, but he tries hard...so I guess that makes him the best?

Personally I think a lot of people are spotting him more respect than he earned last year because of past performances that are not likely to be repeated.

I'm thinking he probably means it in the same manor that last year played out.

ie he might not be on "the first line" but 9/10 he'll probably play more minutes then the other C's.

Avatar
#48 TigerUnderGlass
July 11 2010, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Nate Full of Hate wrote:

The New Jersey Devils and 92 Habs are probably the only teams in the last 30 years to win a Cup without a star center, it's just a fact.

The regular season is about highlights and health now.

How about as recently as 2007 when the Ducks won with Andy McDonald as their number one center?

Avatar
#49 Archaeologuy
July 11 2010, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Yeah, so it's just a matter of what criteria you use to make up your depth chart.

Avatar
#50 striatic
July 11 2010, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"If they took the time to address #1 G, RH 2-way C and a veteran RW this team could make the playoffs."

LT, agree with this but oilers also need a better complete defensive option at #3D.

finding a #1G, 2-way C, veteran RW AND a complete D-man probably isn't possible this year.

thus, playoffs probably aren't possible this year.

i'd be happy if half those slots were filled this season. i think it is likely that the oilers will attempt to land a 2-way C and a veteran RW now, and find the goalie and further improve the D next summer.

Comments are closed for this article.