Numbers game: pass it on, Kevin

Robin Brownlee
July 05 2010 09:21AM

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 25: President of Hockey Operations for the Edmonton Oilers, Kevin Lowe, looks on during the 2010 NHL Entry Draft at Staples Center on June 25, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

If Kevin Lowe has any sense of timing and drama, announcing Taylor Hall's first contract with the Edmonton Oilers won't be the only matter of business on the agenda at Rexall Place today.

Hall let the cat out of the bag when he told reporters yesterday at Commonwealth Stadium he expects to have his three-year, entry-level deal signed today, and that's something Bob Stauffer confirmed on TEAM 1260 this morning. The announcement will be made at noon.

The numbers on Hall's contract aside -- the allowable rookie maximum salary and bonuses under the CBA -- the digit I'm thinking about is No. 4, which, as everybody knows, is Lowe's old jersey number.

Could there be a better time for Lowe to hand over his old number, which hasn't been worn by anybody but him in Edmonton, to Hall in a symbolic gesture of passing the torch?

I think not.

Give it to the kid

Hall, 18, has already suggested he isn't going to ask for No. 4, out of respect for Lowe, the first player ever selected by the Oilers in the NHL Entry Draft. That's understandable. It's not like he's Rob Schremp.

Like I said this spring, it's up to Lowe, then, to make the gesture -- take the onus off the kid and offer Hall the jersey number he wore with the Windsor Spitfires and Team Canada.

In the broader scope of things, of course, it doesn't really matter what number Hall wears with the Oilers. Still, Lowe could make a splash by delivering his jersey along with that new contract today.

What better way to send a message? "History and tradition mean a lot to this organization, but you're the future, kid." "It's time for us to look ahead instead of back." Hall isn't going to fuss and make an issue of it, but Lowe should.

Why keep No. 4 in mothballs? It's not like it's headed to the Hockey Hall of Fame and, thus, the rafters at Rexall Place. Lowe was a very good player who won five Stanley Cups in Edmonton and another in New York with the Rangers, but he's not headed to the HHOF.

If Lowe wants to make a statement today, he should find out where Sparky Kulchisky hid his linen, dust it off and hand it over to Hall at high noon with that new contract today. There's a time and place for symbolism, and this is it.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 I'm a Scientist!
July 05 2010, 01:56PM

According to Ender's post it sounds like Hall would rather wear 19 anyway. So let's move the discussion to Eberle...should he wear 14? The same number as the infamous MacT?

I vote for 3 digit jersey numbers. Ooo decimals and fractions!!! Khabibulin could be 0.15.

#2 Ender
July 05 2010, 11:19AM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

Interesting tidbit, though, that could blow my angle even if the Oilers do take Hall. I just got off the phone with chief scout Stu MacGregor and he told me Hall's favourite number is 19. He's not sure how Hall ended up with No. 4 in recent seasons, but he wore No. 19 coming up and he likes it enough that it's part of his e-mail address.

K wrote:

If I was him, I wouldn't want to wear a # that has so much history behind it, I'd rather start fresh & make my own history with a new #...no?

Quote A + Quote B = Hall should wear #19.

Lowe may not make the HHoF, but the jersey belongs in the past. Hate Lowe for the mistakes he has made, ok, but respect him as well for everything he has done for the franchise over the course of his lifetime.

#3 Petr's Jofa
July 05 2010, 11:58AM
Ender wrote:

Robin Brownlee wrote:

K wrote:

Quote A + Quote B = Hall should wear #19.

Has anyone checked with O'Sullivan to make sure he's ok with Hall pulling his number out of storage?

Edit: New York Post reporting Kovy to NJ ($60 mil for 7 years = $8.57/yr)

#4 TigerUnderGlass
July 05 2010, 01:48PM

Why do people think Brownlee is making an issue of this? At no point did he ever claim there is some sort of problem with Hall not getting to wear 4.

It's just a suggestion he thinks might have some symbolic impact.

#5 Robin Brownlee
July 05 2010, 02:54PM

@Aleslav Smidsky

To "Kip" and the others who don't get it . . .

If Kevin Lowe doesn't offer his number to Hall, it's not going to tarnish his legacy with the Oilers, which is considerable. It won't diminish his accomplishments as a player, which are many. It doesn't mean he has no class or is hanging on desperately to the past. He doesn't have to do it.

If Lowe does offer his number to Hall, it won't make him a better player than he was. It won't get him into the HHOF. It would be nothing more, as I've already suggested, than a timely symbolic gesture. It might make Hall feel like he's being welcomed with open arms by an entire organization and a city.

Is it really that difficult a concept to grasp, or is this a matter of being distracted by who is writing the item as opposed to what is being written?

#6 Jimmer
July 05 2010, 09:45AM

Mark Messier has already petitioned the NHL to block anyone drafted by the Oilers and Rangers next year to wear #11.

#7 Crackenbury
July 05 2010, 10:06AM

I disagree completely. Look up at the rafters and tell me Lowe doesn't belong up there with the rest of the players from that team. 6 Stanley Cups, 1st ever NHL goal scored by an Oiler, 1st NHL draft pick, former coach, former gm.

It's one thing to break from tradition, but giving Hall #4 is a slap in the face of tradition. Brownlee, why such little respect for Lowe? Granted, he wasn't the best GM we've ever had, but that's a small portion of his history with the club.

#8 Place name here
July 05 2010, 10:54AM

What a total load of garbage... though I understand the excitement that surrounds our first number one overall pick in Taylor Hall, can anyone explain to me what exactly he has proven in the NHL? Are we so certain that he will make the team this year, or that if he does, he will live up to the far reaches of expectations that many have already set for him? Who is to say that after his first contract he pulls the chute? What on earth has he accomplished in the league or on this hockey club that would allow him to wear the number of the OIL's very first NHL captain, Kevin Lowe?

On a hockey team where the fans scream of no one wanting to play in the City of Edmonton, many are so quick to relinquish ties with a true champion that stayed the longest and remains in our community as well as with his first NHL team. You may not like his work as a GM, but the last time I checked, the leagues GM's don't where numbers.

#9 Matt Henderson
July 05 2010, 12:02PM
Petr's Jofa wrote:

Edit: New York Post reporting Kovy to NJ ($60 mil for 7 years = $8.57/yr)

O'Sullivan may have worn that number, but I think it's fair to say it was never played in. The number should still be minty fresh.

#10 R.A. Slapshotzky
July 05 2010, 12:16PM

Let Hall decide.

#11 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
July 05 2010, 01:06PM
Stevens wrote:

I like Brownlee, but he's way off here. Hall hasn't grown up wearing this jersey, just the last couple years. This is the same entitlement to young players who haven't earned anything yet that gave us Nilsson making six million dollars. Yes sometimes this organization dwells too much on the past, but an appreciation of your history is important. What if Hall wore 17, would we take Kurri out of the rafters? It's just a number. Hall doesn't care. Most fans don't really care. This is a media/message-board created non-issue.

well, you cared enough to comment.....

#13 DC
July 05 2010, 04:22PM

Well thats better, now I am blue!!! (logged in!) BBG!

#14 DC
July 05 2010, 04:50PM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

I didn't. So, I asked him to tell me what he was going for and he got Mad.

RB mad? No!?...Really?

#15 Matt Henderson
July 05 2010, 05:12PM
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Any one going to the rookie camp ? It would be awesome if Wayne posted a couple videos on the nation. This is the first site I check in the morning, I know the oilers site will have some but a video from the nation would be kick a$$

it would be good if *cough* WANYE *it'swanyenotwaynecough* would do that. I bet the Oilers official website will have stuff though.

#16 Matt Henderson
July 05 2010, 09:27AM

Well said. I wont be bothered if Hall picks another number, but it would be nice to see the club cut more ties with its past.

#17 jake
July 05 2010, 09:28AM

I like the idea. A great way thread the past with the future.

#18 misfit
July 05 2010, 09:30AM

It would be a really cool gesture on Lowe's behalf if he offered it to him, but I also don't think he should be expected to. On a side note, I don't really like it when forwards wear numbers lower than 9. 4 just seems more like a defenseman's number to me.

#19 shanetrain
July 05 2010, 09:31AM

Nice post.

I guess you could make a tell about Kevin Lowe the man if he makes no attempt to grant Hall the number 4.

#20 BingBong
July 05 2010, 09:34AM

Great article, and I tend to agree with you. This really would be the PERFECT time to hand over the number, indicating how the future is the only that matters at this point.

#21 smiliegirl15
July 05 2010, 09:36AM

It would be total good PR for the Oilers to make a production of Lowe passing the torch as it were.

Wasn't it kind of a slap in the face to Horcoff when they presented Hall with a #10 jersey? Seriously, they couldn't use a number not used by someone currently on the team?

\/\/\/ Fair enough - that makes total sense.

#22 knobert
July 05 2010, 09:37AM

@smiliegirl15

10 was for the draft year nothing more to it

#23 yegCopywriter
July 05 2010, 09:38AM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

\/\/\/ Fair enough - that makes total sense.

All the jerseys were #10 at the draft, signifying 2010.

EDIT: People are on the ball this morning!

#24 knobby
July 05 2010, 09:40AM

The only act of class was when Hall made his comments about not worrying about the number on his back. I think it would be a great gesture on Lowe's part but don't expect it folks. He is the poster boy for the tradition of entitlement in the Oiler organization.

When has any Oiler exec. shown class at any time in the recent past?

#25 Souby
July 05 2010, 09:43AM

I agree RB, Lowe should pass the torch/number to Hall. To deliver the number along with the contract sends a positive message that this organization is moving forward instead of keeping a foot in the past.

The Oil need to do everything possible to help Hall and the rest of these young guys succeed, so if the jersey number helps accomplish this then I say c'mon Lowe, dust off #4 and give it to the kid!

#26 baggedmilk
July 05 2010, 09:47AM

I'd love to see it happen, but I doubt he'll swallow his ego and get it done. I will be SHOCKED if they give Hall #4, regardless of whether they should or not.

#27 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
July 05 2010, 09:48AM

I absolutely agree. Murray never had to ask Kurri to wear #17... so why can't Hall grab #4 and run with it?

#28 The Hall Way
July 05 2010, 09:50AM

Maybe he will take 44. With Souray playing in Oklahoma, there will be no conflict.

#29 Oil_Loc8or
July 05 2010, 09:54AM

Robin do you honestly think the jersey number is a issue? You have wrote about this before. I think he won't ask or wear number 4.

#30 Tracie
July 05 2010, 09:58AM

#44 is bad luck! we should chuck that jersey in the garbage and never let anyone wear it!!! Ponger, Schremp, Souray...nuff said!

#31 mighty mite
July 05 2010, 09:59AM

My guess is he is saving it for Keegan, who I fear will be forced onto the Oilers (as he has been with the Oil Kings) to hold down the worst D man in the league position that he is currently holding in the WHL.

#32 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
July 05 2010, 10:00AM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

\/\/\/ Fair enough - that makes total sense.

still drunk from canada day?

#33 doritogrande
July 05 2010, 10:09AM

So many people it seems have forgotten that Kevin Lowe as a player before he was a below-average GM. He shouldn't have to have his name and number taken down from the rafters of Rexall just because we've got a new 18-year old who wore his jersey number for his CHL team. Lowe was an integral part of the Oilers on the ice in the 80s, and we would do well to remember his past contributions before demanding that his name and legacy be stripped from the confines of Rexall. Would anyone here ask that numbers 3, 9, 11, 17, 33 or 99 be offered up?

Hall said all the right things about not wanting #4 in respect for Kevin Lowe. He's worn the number in the past for his adoration of the great Bobby Orr. I'd think the chances of him being given 4 were he drafted by the Bruins instead would be less than zero. Hall has said he'd be taking a different number, so let's let him do that.

#34 Tyler
July 05 2010, 10:11AM

I've always expected 4 to be retired eventually, even assuming Lowe doesn't make the HHOF. While I'm not wild about Lowe's work as GM, he has a Cup final to his credit. He's been an Oiler longer than anyone else in a talent role at this stage I think (player/coach/GM), he was the first draft pick ever and he's always represented Edmonton well. He's the Jean Beliveau of the franchise.

It won't and shouldn't happen while he's active but I would assume that a year or two after he leaves the Oilers, there will be a big ceremony and his number will be retired. There really should be - whatever his flaws, he's been a cornerstone of the franchise in a way that even Messier and Gretzky can't claim. What's more, he's the guy who came home too, first as a player and then as a coach/management. Let Hall take some other number, just as long as it isn't 15.

#35 Robin Brownlee
July 05 2010, 10:11AM
Crackenbury wrote:

If you understood the Oilers traditions and conventions you speak of, you'd know that since Hamilton's No. 3 was retired under special circumstances, a place in the rafters at Rexall Place is reserved for the numbers of players inducted into the HHOF.

Jersey numbers only go up here after the get the call from the HHOF. Lowe isn't getting that call.

#36 Mike Krushelnyski
July 05 2010, 10:13AM

Maybe #4 has a sentimental meaning to Lowe. It does seem to be the number of hairs remaining on his head. When did that happen?!

#37 the tikkr
July 05 2010, 10:14AM

Tyler,

Well said.

#38 Woogie
July 05 2010, 10:15AM

@The Hall Way

ZING!

#39 jeanshorts
July 05 2010, 10:17AM

As long as he doesn't decide to wear the forever cursed, and soon to be vacant 44, I think we're good.

#40 SkinnyD
July 05 2010, 10:18AM

Why can't they raise Lowe's #4 to the rafters without retiring it? I could swear some of the older teams like the Habs and Rangers do that...could be wrong.

Lowe and Hall are 2 significant draft picks in the team's history - would be cool if they shared the number.

#41 Quicksilver ballet
July 05 2010, 10:20AM

It's refreshing to read an article that is not broken down into 20 different segments.

I believe Taylor has mentioned something about the number 19 before, Kevin will and should take this opportunity and formerly offer him his old number 4

#42 magisterrex
July 05 2010, 10:22AM

Much ado about nothing, IMO. Hall doesn't care, why try to make it an issue?

I don't see Kevin Lowe as a terrible, below-average GM, either. Such short memories people have around here. You're only as good as your last game, right?

#43 Crackenbury
July 05 2010, 10:23AM

@Robin Brownlee

I understand the Oilers recent history of tying into HHOF inductions. It's also my understanding the organization has already suggested retiring Lowe's number and it was Lowe who said no to it, as long as he was still actively involved with the Oilers.

I don't understand the purpose of this article, other than to stir things up. This isn't the first time it has been brought up either. What's the point?

#44 No Clue
July 05 2010, 10:30AM
doritogrande wrote:

Try and keep up doritogrande, #4 is NOT in the rafters at Rexall! Nor is 33, but I'm guessing that was a typo. The only thing keeping Hall out of jersey #4 is Lowe.

#45 Wazzle
July 05 2010, 10:31AM
doritogrande wrote:

Ummm, Lowe's #4 is not in the rafters at Rexall, also you asked "Would anyone here ask that numbers 3, 9, 11, 17, 33 or 99 be offered up?" Number 33 is not retired and is currently worn by Big Steve Mac as an homage to his favorite Oiler Big Marty Mc. You should also maybe have #7 in your list as well. IMO it's up to Kevin Lowe the player not anyone else, not even Keven Lowe, President of Hockey Operations.

#46 magisterrex
July 05 2010, 10:31AM
Crackenbury wrote:

That's my memory of events, too. #4 goes up to the rafters the year that KLowe retires from the org, and it'll be a Messier-like ceremony, regardless of recent history.

#47 Reagan
July 05 2010, 10:34AM

Already have a #4 Hall Jersey Hanging in the closet...

Old News...

#48 Al
July 05 2010, 10:35AM

Clear this up for me, is #7 retired for the Oilers?

#49 esa tikkanen
July 05 2010, 10:35AM

robin,

while this is off topic I am wondering if you had heard the rumour from Ryan Rishaug's twitter that the Oilers were considering signing Rob Niedermayer, and if you had heard that?? If so, what do you think of that?

I like the idea of that type of player although I am not sure how good he is any more. Personally I would prefer Dominic Moore as maybe Niedermayer's tank is empty at 35, 36 in December.

#50 Wazzle
July 05 2010, 10:37AM
Al wrote:

Clear this up for me, is #7 retired for the Oilers?

Paul Coffey sir!