The dog days... is this thing on?

Jason Gregor
August 11 2010 02:43PM

They call it the dog days of summer, and outside of the NHLPA worrying that they won’t be able to receive ridiculous 12 year contracts anymore, there isn’t a lot going in the hockey world. However, last night I was reminded why I love hockey more than most sports.

Last night the Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals had what many American sports writers and analysts call a brawl (see above)

That is not a brawl my American friends, not even close. It started because prior to the game Reds second baseman, Brandon Phillips, said this prior to the game.

“I hate the Cardinals. All they do is bitch and moan about everything, all of them; they're little bitches, all of 'em. I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear - I hate the Cardinals.”

When he came up for his first at bat, Cards catcher, Yadier Molina didn’t like that Phillips tapped him on the shins, --a ritual Phillips usually does—and told Phillips to screw off. And so it went. But, how can anyone call that a sports brawl.

Watch at the 1:20  mark of the video and you’ll see Reds’ pitcher Johnny Cueto repeatedly kicking Chris Carpenter in the back. Yes, in the back. He is kicking him like his is peddling a recumbent bicycle. It is embarrassing. Cueto should be suspended for being the biatch. That was embarrassing.

I’m not one who condones meaningless fights, and rarely will I stand around and watch a street fight, but when I constantly hear people complain about violence in hockey I shake my head.

Watching ESPN and TSN last night, the announcers made it out like this was full on brawl. It wasn’t close.

Here is a brawl, and a great one at that:

Fans would much rather see that than the pathetic display put on by the Cards and Reds last night.

Does this happen in hockey all the time? No. In fact it rarely happens anymore, and that is fine, but when it does the guys are men enough to go toe-to-toe. And they don’t kick a guy in the back, and they surely don’t all mill around talking and doing nothing; which is normally what happens in baseball.

If I hear another announcer rip hockey for being too violent I will puke. The game is tough and rugged, and it is played at an incredibly high pace, but when was the last time we actually saw a full-fledged bench brawl in hockey?

I’d rather watch two guys drop the gloves, square off and go toe-to-toe than watch a bunch of guys run out of the dugout, hug one another and even kick an opponent, especially when most of the time the benches empty over minor issues like a brush back pitch or a hard slide.

Kudos to listeners/reader...

J. Goertz sent me this link earlier today. I knew Brownlee’s following was growing all the time, but I had no idea he was becoming this popular in Sweden. Hopefully we never lose our freedom of speech on radio or in print... All hail Rueben the HERO. I love the subtle pics on the side of the bus.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 SurfacetoAirMissile
August 12 2010, 12:27PM
miker wrote:

the best oilers game (regular season) that I have been to in the last 10 years was the one when atlanta was in town and the brawl went into the visitors bench.

that was classic

Absolutely!!! A buddy and I were at that game and our whole section were on our feet cheering the brawl...... when the goalies skated to center to square off we all went crazy! Best game I ever went to (in the regular season)

Maybe I'm dreaming but if ever the Oil and Flamers have another playoff series and a brawl happeded we could officially call it the Battle of Alberta again.

#52 Milli
August 12 2010, 12:32PM

Nation, Today I am now the proud owner of Wayne Flemmings Oilers Jacket from last season!!!!! Thanks to his firing and his sons genorosity!!!! This one ain't going on the wall, it's going on my back!!!!!!!

#53 David S
August 12 2010, 12:55PM
Milli wrote:

That jacket must be pretty well ventilated with all the knife punctures on the back of it.

#54 Dan the Man
August 12 2010, 01:32PM

Corey Graham named PBP guy for the Oil Kings per Stauffer.

Nice choice!

#55 Milli
August 12 2010, 02:02PM
David S wrote:

haha, you'd think, but it's in pretty good shape! And actually, surprisingly, his son does not speak a bad word of the Oil, very classy family.

#56 Cowbell_Feva
August 12 2010, 11:06PM
BurkeTheTurd wrote:

haha, no he sure hasn't. Maybe he can get a few empty net goals to pad his stats.

If he figures that out, then maybe he could show Shawn Horcoff how to do it... Pesky defensemen like Brett Clark playing net might not be considered an open net, but he shut down the 5 hole on Horc's and then the puck ended up in our net 20 seconds later when Tucker of all people tied it up (where we later lost it in OT)