Sail On, St. Albert Saint

Lowetide
August 18 2010 05:34PM

Chicago's Blackhawks caught a break today, acquiring a good man and loyal soldier at a very reasonable price. Our loss is their gain.

I would argue that Fernando Pisani would have been an exceptional mentor to the new Oilers, just as he was to the last bunch who came through town. Pisani is in a different era of his career than the day after G7 SCF, but surely NHL teams could (and did) see a worthwhile player.

I can also understand the Oilers point of view: a team that has endured countless injuries--and has plenty of the injury prone signed long term--can hardly be blamed for passing on Pisani when his contract is up. It is all water under the bridge today, as Chicago has signed Fernando to a terrific contract (1-way, $500,000). He will no doubt help on the PK, make the transition easier for kids with names like Skille, Bickell and Beach.

During the time that Fernando Pisani laced them up for the Edmonton Oilers, he was never the team's best player. Never their best forward, never their best right-winger. Why then, do we miss him already?

Because of the character of the man and the splendid way he played the game. I believe the reason we loved Fernando Pisani as an Oiler can be summed up in that one stunning goal he scored in Raleigh those years ago: first forward back as the play left the opposition zone, uses that big brain and moves laterally along their blue and cheats a little hoping for a turnover, and then pure skill with a quick and deadly stick to intercept the pass before it went offside.

And from there, the Hockey Gods turned him into Guy Lafleur just one time and 34 went shelf. It rings as true today as it did those years ago.

Beauty.

After that, health became an issue. He was dealt a bad hand but overcame great odds to return to the game he loved and play it again at the highest level. The NHL passed up a chance to give an award to the right man the season he didn't win the Masterton, but I'll always believe he earned it by coming all the way back and playing well.

If the hockey Gods choose to shine a light on Fernando again and see fit for a second straight Stanley in the Windy City that would be alright with me. Sail on, Fernando Pisani. We'll remember you.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Maggie the Monkey
August 19 2010, 12:03PM
DonovanMD wrote:

I remember when he scored in 05 G5, I was sick as a dog in bed, could barely speak and when he scored I called my buddy who had been at all the home games just so we could yell FEEEERRRRNNNNANNDDOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Even with the outcome that was a magical spring and I'll always have a soft spot for the guy who made signing ABBA cool again.

There was a time when it wasn't cool to sing ABBA? Why didn't anyone tell me??

All the best to Fernando and his family.

(♪♫ If you change your mind, I'll be next in line. Honey set me free, take a chance on me... ♫♬)

#52 Quicksilver ballet
August 19 2010, 12:10PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Wait...REALLY? Wow, when Joey does leave the organization better do SOMETHING special for him... retire his...er... number? Something.

Also, i am happy for Fernado! If he stays healthy, he is going to be an awesome addition to the Hawks. They did very well with that contract!

....any other mind numbing revelations sir?

There's no need to talk down or belittle Moss's role with the hockey club, you're just making a fool of yourself.

#53 I'm a Scientist!
August 19 2010, 12:18PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

....any other mind numbing revelations sir?

Huh? What the hell are you talking about?

*smacks the SuperComputer thinking that something got lost in binary translation*

I am not belittling Moss's role on the club at all. I was being serious. I think he deserves a tribute of some sort once he decides to hang them up. Not quite sure how that came across as me belitting Joey for anything. Sorry if it did.

#54 third string plumber
August 19 2010, 12:20PM

Anytime someone from scf 06 leaves a little bit of me dies inside

#55 Shaun Doe
August 19 2010, 12:47PM

Hey I just got back from Eklund's site and did you guys know that Pisani signed with Chicago! Oh wait... nevermind

#56 FIST - esa
August 19 2010, 01:08PM

No problem with the FIST! At least I know I'm on the right page when I start reading comments.

Fernando - a true trooper. Gave 'er all when he was in the line up.

Sad to see him go and I wish him luck.

#57 BurkeTheTurd
August 19 2010, 01:21PM

I can't believe the Islanders still have to buyout Yashin for the next 4 years. That is a lot of turtle necks.

#58 Brodie
August 19 2010, 01:36PM

#47 Thanks for the history lesson on "Fist." I thought it referred to the fist in the Oilers Nation logo at the top of the page.

#59 ubermiguel
August 19 2010, 02:02PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Huh? What the hell are you talking about?

The Canadiens have a Ring of Honour to honour some of their hall of famers that don't have their numbers in the rafters. It's behind the upper deck. The Oilers need a 2nd level of honour for people that aren't jersey-retirement worthy, but should be honoured for their contribution when they retire. Guys like Weight, Ranford, Smyth, Joey Moss, Rod Phillips, Lowe and Sather. I'd like to Like a Wall of Honour in the concourse at Rexall.

#60 dawgbone
August 19 2010, 02:10PM

No room for guys like Pisani wtih quality NHLers like JFJ, Smac and Strudwick on this team!

2 of the 3 make more money than Pisani does. What an absolute crying shame.

Even if he only played 40 games, he's still got more value than any of those 3.

#61 I'm a Scientist!
August 19 2010, 02:15PM
ubermiguel wrote:

Yeah, something like that would be great! There are people that make major contributions to the team that need to be recognized. I also think there should be a spot in the HHOF for Mr. Moss. He is a legend and I had no idea he was close to stepping down.

#62 third string plumber
August 19 2010, 02:38PM

In the concourse of the new downtown arena...

#63 dragon
August 19 2010, 02:46PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Second that!

I went to a Cougar's game in PG and they had all their NHL players throughout the concourse. Looked awsome!

Keep the memory alive, put up their names!

#64 Ender
August 19 2010, 02:55PM
Brodie wrote:

You know, I never made that connection but I can see how people would easily think that. In that context, it would seem almost loyal and patriotic to post it . . . instead of asking people to do something degrading and painful to you.

Remember what it really is! It's the bad thing!

#65 aln russell
August 20 2010, 09:25AM

neither torres nor pisana should have made it past the roadrunners. don't understand the fascination with these marginal players