CLOCKING BACK IN

Jason Gregor
August 30 2010 11:21AM

Two weeks away from the Nation, (well almost two weeks, except when Wanye “meanest ever” Gretz made me write on article last week) and after a quick glance through some of the articles, it is nice to know we are less than two weeks from rookie camp, and just under three weeks from main camp.

I’ll get to the Oilers in a bit.

I know it is hard, but if you can convince your boss to let you take two consecutive weeks of holidays I’d highly recommend it. Two weeks away from my show and the Nation and I feel refreshed. I vowed to get away from sports and try some new things. I only watched one entire sporting event in the past 16 days, when 20 friends and I took in the Canadian Derby at Northlands. If you’ve never been, I recommend going next year. Dress up in your best Derby garb and you’ll have a blast. I didn’t win any money, but picked a few winners.

I went to the fringe and actually spent as much time watching the street performers as I did in the beer gardens. They were good. I went to Lady Gaga last Friday, got my Gaga glasses, didn’t become a little monster, but I was thoroughly impressed with the concert. Gaga can flat out sing, and her show had a more theatrical flair than a usual concert. Even if her music isn’t your type of genre, the spectacle is great. The opening act, Semi Precious Metals, was atrocious though.

Worst performance I have ever witnessed. And I covered the Oilers last season.

Like any good holiday I golfed a lot. Played in my first Pro-Am at Goose Hummock on Aug 19th at it was great. I’m lucky enough to get invited to lots of charity tournaments, but the Pro-Am was a different type of fun because it was competitive. You played your own ball, and on certain holes I hack like me needed to shoot well.

I loved it.

I took part in SMASH out MS on August 14th at the Ranch. It was loads of fun, and you know Edmontonians are generous when people will pay more to charity to golf with me. I emceed Blair Oko’s 11th annual tourney for the Cross Cancer Institute on August 20th at Northern Bear, and the course was in the best shape I’ve ever seen it. I also played in Kevin Karius’ Easter Seals tourney on Aug 25th and Joffrey Lupul’s Bissell Centre tourney on the 26th.

The best part of these tournaments is meeting and interacting with the families that are affected by the different diseases/ailments. In sports we throw out terms like toughness, warriors, strength, courage and determination, but these families and kids reflect those words better than sports does. I love being invited to take part in these events and watching the kids and their parents fight through the adversity is really inspiring.

So a big thanks to Scott Lopetinsky , Kate Gallagher, Darla Zuk, Glenn Isaac, Oko, Karius, Lupul and the families of those affected for inviting me and letting me witness your tremendous courage and strength. I left every tournament feeling inspired after hearing the speeches.

BACK TO SPORTS

Alright, back to business.

Yesterday I tried to catch up on what happened in sports. I PVR’d the Esks/Riders game and UFC 118 on Saturday, back-tracked through articles on the Nation and browsed over various sports sites to ensure I’m at least cognizant of what is going on.

The Esks might have a quarterback controversy on their hands after a surprising win over the Riders. The Esks offence still doesn’t look sharp, and while Jared Zabransky has a stronger arm and legs than Ricky Ray, I’m still not sold on his decision making. Gutsy call by Richie Hall to go back to Ray for the final drive, but it paid off.

An over-the-hill boxer couldn’t beat a past-best-due-date MMA fighter. No surprise there, but it was embarrassing that James Toney didn’t even throw a punch.

The Oilers hired Jack Michaels as their play-by-play guy, yet some on the Nation thought the announcement took too long, and that was somehow a negative. Any play-by-play guy worth a grain of salt will have the roster memorized in less than a day. The Oilers could have announced Michaels on Sept 10th and he still would have been ready for the rookie game September 12th.

The OilersNation was restless wondering why Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano had yet to sign. “It’s just another example of Steve Tambellini’s inability to make a decision,” or “Sam and Andrew must not want to play here,” were a few of the comments I read.

STUNNED

I’ll admit I’m a bit stunned by those comments.

Why would Tambellini rush to overpay Gagner and Cogliano? Kevin Lowe has been ripped for overpaying Shawn Horcoff, Fernando Pisani, Steve Staios, Robert Nilsson and Dustin Penner (until last year), so why does Tambellini need to rush out and sign Cogliano and Gagner?

He doesn’t, and there was no way Gagner or Cogliano wouldn’t be signed.

Those two have no bargaining rights. Cogliano’s coming off his worst season, while Gagner hasn’t matched his rookie totals in the previous two seasons. Some suggested Gagner and Cogliano will be pissed off or resentful if they only get one-year deals. Do they really deserve more? Gilbert Brule signed a one-year deal last year and then produced his best point totals ever.

Gagner and Cogliano have no reason to feel slighted, nor do I think they will. In fact, I bet they’d prefer one-year deals, so they can produce and get more money next summer.

Now that Gagner has a two-year deal averaging $2.275 million, I’d look for Cogliano to fall somewhere in the $1.7 to $1.9 million range. I still think Cogliano and his camp will try and get a one-year deal. Gagner’s new deal should be a great signing for the Oilers. If Gagner becomes the offensive stalwart they hope he does, then he’ll be a bargain for two seasons, and when his deal is done they will have to decide what to do with Ales Hemsky and Dustin Penner, who will be UFAs in two years.

I think the term and salary give the Oilers room to maneuver in the summer of 2012.

KHABBY WATCH CONTINUES

Nikolai Khabibulin has to be nervous right now. He will find out his fate tomorrow, but here’s a breakdown of what he could be facing in Phoenix tomorrow.

First Offense Extreme DUI (BAC .150 - .199)

Jail: Range of 30 to 180 days in jail. Minimum of 30 consecutive days in jail. The Court may suspend 20 of the 30 days if you successfully complete all recommended counseling and education.

Fines & Costs: Aproximately $3,000.00 in fines and costs, plus jail costs. The more jail time imposed the greater the additional costs. NOTE: Jail costs can amount to thousands of dollars in addition to the fines and costs.

License: The MVD will suspend your drivers' license for 90 days. You may be eligible for a work/school permit after the first 30 days of the suspension.

Counseling: If convicted you must get a substance abuse evaluation and comply with any recommendation or be subject to additional jail time.

Probation: You may be placed on probation for up to five years.

Community Service: The court may impose community service.

MADD Victims' Impact Panel: The court may order you to attend one or more sessions of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving Victims Impact Panel.

Ignition Interlock Device: Required for 12 months after license reinstatement.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 PabstBR55
August 30 2010, 03:58PM

Tuesday - Kabibulin gets sentenced to 60 days.

Wednesday - the Oilers void his contract

Thursday - We sign Antti Niemi to a 4-year $11M deal

Pabst's Dream Scenario. Anybody got a problem with that?

#52 Travis Dakin
August 30 2010, 04:17PM
PabstBR55 wrote:

Tuesday - Kabibulin gets sentenced to 60 days.

Wednesday - the Oilers void his contract

Thursday - We sign Antti Niemi to a 4-year $11M deal

Pabst's Dream Scenario. Anybody got a problem with that?

4 years is too long. You must not have been paying attention to the goalie market lately. Just because a goalie has won a cup, it doesn't make him valuable *cough Habbiboozin Cough*

#53 DC
August 30 2010, 04:24PM

I like that scenario, just long enough to groom Roy along nicely.

#54 Ender
August 30 2010, 04:24PM
ubermiguel wrote:

"OK. Now that we have that cleared up, let's get the Fall for (insert 2011 1st draft pick here)" thing going again. Man are we gonna get our butts kicked this year. Its gonna be epic."

As Wayne said in the Gagner article: "I'm cheering for "Exciting last place hockey" from the Oilers this year. Anything more than that is a squandered opportunity."

I've already prepared myself for the year of "Suck in Style".

Why come up with a new slogan and logo?

We still have the perfectly good Dive for Five that we barely used last season before people decided that 26th of 30 teams was just not good enough.

Are we that picky again this year, people, that we need to finish dead last? Or will a simple Dive for Five suffice?

~Best to sort this out before training camp starts.~

#55 Matt Henderson
August 30 2010, 04:35PM

@Ender

If we miss the playoffs then I'm ready for dead last again please. Back to back top 2 picks is the way to the promised land. I believe in Stu Magnificent Bastard, but let's make his job easy.

#56 David S
August 30 2010, 04:44PM

"Oilers Nation. The home of exciting last place hockey."

I like the ring of that.

*Loads single shell in revolver in preparation for the season*

#57 Ender
August 30 2010, 04:51PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

If we miss the playoffs then I'm ready for dead last again please.

Arch. You know better than that. You can't have it both ways, friend. You can't shoot for playoff hockey in December and then move the target to 'worst team in the league' in January. That's a recipe for failing at both. Last year was the perfect storm. We could never do that again in a hundred years, trying to win and just genuinely sucking that bad and losing that many man-games. No, this year we need to make a plan and stick to it. If we build for suckage, we can lose consistantly and 30th is within our grasp. We'll know in October, though, if we're on target. If we're shooting for playoffs, on the other hand (and I'll let you know right now that I want this, irrationally or no) then we've got to accept that when things go in the crapper in February-March that we may end up with other teams in the league who are (gasp) failing even worse than us at that point.

For the record, I'm comfortable with aiming for playoffs.
Shoot for 16th, finish 14th, lose in a first-round dogfight to the Canucks, pick in the top 16? Thats good by me.
Shoot for 16th, finish 21st, pick top 10? That's ok too.

Shoot for 30th, finish 24th, pick top 6? Uhhhh . . . call me next season, kay?

#58 DC
August 30 2010, 04:57PM
Ender wrote:

Archaeologuy wrote:

If we miss the playoffs then I'm ready for dead last again please.

For the record, I'm comfortable with aiming for playoffs.
Shoot for 16th, finish 21st, pick top 10? That's ok too.

Shoot for 30th, finish 24th, pick top 6? Uhhhh . . . call me next season, kay?

Dragons are so wise.

#59 freshpotofcoffey
August 30 2010, 05:00PM
Travis Dakin wrote:

Of course the Boozin Wall won the cup 5 years before his contract, as opposed to the season before. That said, could Dubnyk have won the cup behind last year's Hawks? Probably.

#60 PabstBR55
August 30 2010, 05:06PM

@Travis Dakin

Who's to say what the goalie market will look like next summer, or 4 years from now? Wherever Niemi signs, it's bound to be a value-contract for the signing team.

To your point, if we had exercised some patience last summer we would've filled this blog with all sorts of exciting goalie-shopping speculation.

A $2.75M cap hit isn't atrocious, but I also suggested a similar deal structure for Mathieu Garon 2 years ago. Nobody needs to tell me to keep my day job.

#61 DC
August 30 2010, 05:14PM

If the Canadiens want Neimi like rumors have suggested, could? would? should the Oilers make a play for Price? Could? Yes. Would? Probably. Should? I think maybe yes.

#62 @NateInVegas
August 30 2010, 05:29PM

Cogliano 1 year @ 1.95 or maaaaybe 2years @1.70

He hasn't missed a game in 3 years. Career -10 on a brutal and remained professional after being traded..(twice?)Cogliano's done more for the Oilers than Brule and should be paid accordingly.

Motivating him with a respectable contract combined with putting him in a position to produce early gives him value. Low balling him could crush whatever confidence he's got left.

UFC 118 was a joke. Jordan was the best basketball player on the planet and couldn't hit a breaking ball off AA pitchers. Why would anyone think Toney had a chance at MMA???

If Dana White was trying to convert boxing fans, he failed. There wasn't enough strikers on the card. Guida,Sanchez, & Bisping could have made it more appealing.

#64 RossCreekNation
August 30 2010, 05:32PM

I'm not sure why the league would have any problems with the new Kovalchuk deal. According to Kypreos, Ilya's last 3 years average $2.6M including a base of $4M in the final season (24/25).

The last 3 yrs of Luongo's deal average $1.2M per... Hossa's $833,000. Hossa's deal expires at age 42, as does Kovalchuk's.

#65 RossCreekNation
August 30 2010, 05:40PM

@@NateInVegas

If Cogliano gets more than $1.5M, I'd be "Jason-Gregor-stunned"!

The guy has NO bargaining power. You want to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a good deal based on his first two seasons & his potential. Fact of the matter is, player's usually get paid on a what-have-you-done-lately basis. I'm not saying 'Cogliano's garbage' or anything of the sort. He has no arb rights, Brule did - that's worth something. The Oilers are in the driver's seat, and while you're points are all understandable, the Oilers don't owe him shhh. When given the opportunity to underpay, you take it, because the second Cogliano (or any other player for that matter) has the opportunity to make the team overpay, they almost always do. Don't squander this chance.

Cogliano - 1yr, $1.1M-1.475M... book it :)

I'll say 1.25 if you want an exact (not that you asked me)

Cogliano's done more for the Oilers than Brule and should be paid accordingly.

And by that logic, Filip Kuba has done more for Ottawa than Sergei Gonchar, so the Sens overpaid him. I know... that doesn't really make sense... that's the point.

#66 Matt Henderson
August 30 2010, 05:46PM

@Ender

I wasnt arguing to have it both ways. I'm in favour of playing the crap out of the rookies and splitting JDD and DD as the goalies. That should make the bottom 5 very attainable unless a bunch of guys really step it up.

#67 madjam
August 30 2010, 05:49PM

OILERS DO THE IMPOSSIBLE AGAIN - 2010 . AN ICE ODYSSEY . STANLEY CUP FINALISTS . They make trade to also procur next years NBR.1 pick again as a bonus to start their next seaso and DYNASTY . Sell out copies of new best seller book HOCKEY 101 DYNASTY BUILDING - FROM DISASTER TO TOP OF THE WORLD WITH THE DREAMTEAM .

#68 Chris.
August 30 2010, 05:51PM

The 2010/2011 edition of my beloved Oilers will most likly be unable to kill penalties...

A bottom 5 finish is not only attainable; but probable.

*sigh*

#69 @NateInVegas
August 30 2010, 05:54PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

If Cogliano gets more than $1.5M, I'd be "Jason-Gregor-stunned"!

Cogliano - 1yr, $1.1M-1.475M... book it :)

I'll say 1.25 if you want an exact (not that you asked me)

Cogliano's done more for the Oilers than Brule and should be paid accordingly.

9 Nate sans Hate August 09 2010, 06:57AM +1 0 props The hold up is Tambellini.

The majority of his signings have been safe and straight forward, these two require some assessing on his part.

Gagner 2 years @ 2.35 Cogliano1@ 1.95

#8 Nate sans Hate August 24 2010, 06:30PM +1 1 props Cogliano 1 year @ 1.95

Hasn't missed a game in 3 years. Career -10 on a brutal team.

Remained professional after being traded..(twice?)

He's done more for the Oilers than Brule and should be paid accordingly.

***Not changing my stance now, can't***

#70 RossCreekNation
August 30 2010, 05:54PM
madjam wrote:

Its posts like these that inspire posts like this:

"madjam, what you have to say is often of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response(s) were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought(s). Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
#71 coco crisp
August 30 2010, 05:54PM
Thinker wrote:

Maas isnt good at all anymore we need an o line ricky ray, fred stamps and heart and soul kamau peterson

Maas has a crazy arm still. We have a decent O-line. Ricky is having a 2-6 record type of year as well...I do agree injuries have raped us,once Tristan Jackson comes back we won't lose. But keep Zabransky as far away from the game field until RR is in a retirement home.

#72 Dutchscooter
August 30 2010, 05:56PM
PabstBR55 wrote:

Tuesday - Kabibulin gets sentenced to 60 days.

Wednesday - the Oilers void his contract

Thursday - We sign Antti Niemi to a 4-year $11M deal

Pabst's Dream Scenario. Anybody got a problem with that?

As I've heard Gregor state on his show NUMEROUS times, there is no way that the Oilers void Khabbi's contract. No other team has ever done so, so the Oilers would be setting a precedent, and a crappy one at that. You think that attracting free agents here is hard now? Try signing any if the try to void Khabibulin's.

I'm not trying to suggest that I agree with it, but if Atlanta didn't void Dany Heatley's contract then Khabibulin's isn't going to be, either.

Let's face it, it's a bad contract for a long term and realize it was a Tambi mistake and forget about the whole voiding thing.

#73 Samwise
August 30 2010, 05:59PM
coco crisp wrote:

Nope, screw Zabransky, i froze my nuts off watching the game. I really did not want to see him throw anymore interceptions. Throw in Maas. But no more Zabransky please!

And why is Zabransky going in before Maas? Is Maas really #3 on the depth chart? Is Maas hurt, or is he just learning how to be a better coach for when he does retire?

#74 Chris.
August 30 2010, 06:14PM
Samwise wrote:

Zabransky just offers a different look. The Wildcat offence is a lot less dependant on what has been a suspect offensive line.

#75 PabstBR55
August 30 2010, 06:23PM

@Dutchscooter

I'm not a law-talking guy like Lionel Hutz, but my understanding of contract law is that if one party is unable to fulfill the contract because:

a)they're in jail

b)they're out of shape to perform because they've been in jail, or

c) they cannot travel internationally, an important factor in playing professional ice-hockey in North America,

then the other party has some legal basis to void their contract.

I think this is also a viable idea because the NHLPA won't choose this hill to die on, given the unethical nature of the charge.

And to your point, perhaps this sets a precedent inasmuch as it suggests that the Oilers organization won't tolerate cavalier behavior from rich a**holes.

I hope everyone is unanimous in agreeing that we are richer for not having Dany Heatley on our team. Characterless people do not build Stanley-Cup winning teams. Nor do they serve as strong leaders for young players.

#76 andrewmk20
August 30 2010, 07:36PM

@RossCreekNation

before you lambaste the guy (and everyone on ON and Hockey or Die know about his delusional comments) maybe this time it's sarcasm. Otherwise I'd recommend a CT Scan STAT!!

#77 RossCreekNation
August 30 2010, 07:44PM

@andrewmk20

While I do mean what I say, I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek in using the Principal's line from "Billy Madison" (except no one picked up on it). And it wasn't directed specifically at that single post, but to each and every one of good ol' "jamma24's" posts.

#78 Dutchscooter
August 30 2010, 07:50PM

@PabstBR55

I understand the legal ramifications; I'm just stating that it's a moot point 'cause it ain't going to happen. Props to Brownlee for his latest posting about this. But I will agree it would be great to unload Khabbi's contract.

And ditto for me when it comes to Dany Heatley. If his track record in the NHL proves two things: 1) is that he has NO character to speak of and 2) He fits in well in San Jose.

#79 Wanyes bastard child
August 30 2010, 08:13PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I caught the Billy Madison line right away dude ;)

I just chose not to reply because honestly ever since the "wall of text making your eyes bleed" days of madjam I just skip past any posts by him...

Also, welcome back Jason, you spelled Wanye's name wrong :P

#80 Cowbell_Feva
August 30 2010, 09:24PM
coco crisp wrote:

We have a decent O-Line?? This alone tells me you either know nothing about football, or you simply haven't watched a game yet this year.

When the other team can rush 3 and STILL get to the quarterback-that means you have a BAD O-line.

Jason Maas is over the hill. I would rather watch Z toss an INT in a developmental role, than watch Maas throw one at his stage in his career. Zabransky is going to be a good QB once he gets his rep's in. He single-handedly changed the offensive momentum of the game with his legs. If he can develop more accuracy and better decision making he will take over the #1 spot.

IF Ricky had Calgary's offensive line, he would throw for 500 yards every game. He's a drop-back passer, and with our O-line Ray has no chance of throwing a deep ball. Because Z tired out Sask's Defense Ray was able to come in late in the 4th and actually drop back.

The Mississippi Rocket is off the 9 game IR and should make an impact for us in the Labour Day classic....if he can stay healthy.

#81 madjam
August 31 2010, 07:53AM

Take the callouses off your eyes and thick heads !!! Am i the only person in Oilers Nation to figure out what this rebuild is about ? Tams has told you upteen different times and ways , but you still haven't figured it out . I, ve told you much the same and you haven't figured it out yet either .

TEMPLATE : SAME AS FIRST DYNASTY . We are going back to Sathers building of our first dynasty . First year we made preliminary playoffs . Second year we knocked off perennial power Montreal in four straight as i recall ! I remind you that our club using that original template rewrote the record books , set the standards for subsequent teams to beat ! Tams and LOWE are going to try and duplicate the Sather template and it's about time some of you woke up and realized it beyond just myself .

How did the original Oilers do it and maintain a dynasty without suffering like they did about 5 years ago ? Their not building this club to hit the top and fall apart again like Pitt , Detroit and even Chicago looks to be doing .

We are dynasty building here just like we successfully did from day 1 we entered the NHL for those that can remember back that far . Stats were of little value back then in projecting a bold brash young guns team that were given "" green light "" to live and die with the youth they had over going with low line AHL talent , etc..

Were not going back to the ways that put us in the toilet . Young talent beats out fringe NHL'ers and AHL talent this year - both don't fit original template that led to our first dynasty .

How long is it going to take Oiler Nation to wake up and realize what LOWE and TAMS have been drumming into your heads all summer long ?? I figured it out why can't the rest of you !! We are going to develop as much youth together as they can muster to try and replicate our first dynasty . It was fast and expediant as you recall, and we didn't wallow in the basement either as were playoff bound very first year !!

You people think i'm crazy , i wonder just what you think Tams and Lowe are then attempting to go the original template of Sather ? WAKE UP OILER NATION !!

#82 madjam
August 31 2010, 09:07AM

Hall is the right choice to lead our youth movement , Seguin was not . Hall has the template , heart and desire to make it happen just as rapidly as first template . He's not going to fail . Seguin would have been holding us back for a year or MORE in retrospect . We have the youth in place already this season to start a major thrust to duplicating our storied beginning and dynasty past !!

Oiler Nation should all be excited about what we're in store for this season !! WE are living and dying with the next Oiler dynasty youth movement growing up together that led to our biggest and dynamic successes . Get over stat sheets , quit trying to quantify and qualify what this club is capable of . They were of little use back then , just as i suspect they will be with current youth movement . How far away were stats in predicting first Oiler template anyways ? Not much use at all in retrospect !!

Get on the bandwagon Oilers Nation , were in for quite the ride again . Hartikanen and Plante i see as part and parcel to our youth movement now and down the road , and thus i feel both stand an excellent chance of sticking with club thru it's growing pains . I don't see Omark , Svensson or Eberle spending time in the minors or waiting to be fillins because of team injuries .

#83 Matt Henderson
August 31 2010, 09:33AM

@madjam

You cannot possibly use retrospect to determine that Hall was the right pick over Seguin. You cannot possibly know yet that Seguin would send the rebuild back by a year or more.

The only thing that has happened since the Oilers drafted Hall was that he failed to be the best player at the Oilers development camp. That is it. Neither Hall nor Seguin has played a minute of NHL hockey. Not even NHL pre-season hockey.

Stats were little used, not of little use. There's a difference.

And I dont think the word "Template" means what you think it means.

#84 madjam
August 31 2010, 10:04AM

Arch - your still in the denial stage. Deny , deny , deny . Get over it and last year . See this season for what it's going to be !! Some of Oiler Nation as stubborn as an Ox . May have to give entire Oiler Nation this weeks butt plant award !

#85 Matt Henderson
August 31 2010, 10:16AM

@madjam

madjam, I dont understand you. I have no idea what the butt plant award is, but if it's something awarded to people who completely disagree with you then I expect to be a contender for it every week.

Your ramblings dont make any sense. I THINK (because I dont truly speak madjamese) you actually suggested that the "template" for building a dynasty was by winning more and more playoff games every year.

One day the wall of crazy that you've built will break down and you will see how delusional you've been. I want to be there when it happens.

#86 madjam
August 31 2010, 10:49AM

There's hope for you yet Arch . When you start to understand me ,then maybe (lets hope ) you just might understand what Lowe and Tams have been telling us all along , but falling on deaf ears .

#87 K-UGER Industrial Smoothing
August 31 2010, 11:29AM
PabstBR55 wrote:

Tuesday - Kabibulin gets sentenced to 60 days.

Wednesday - the Oilers void his contract

Thursday - We sign Antti Niemi to a 4-year $11M deal

Pabst's Dream Scenario. Anybody got a problem with that?

Not a chance.