CLOCKING BACK IN

Jason Gregor
August 30 2010 11:21AM

Two weeks away from the Nation, (well almost two weeks, except when Wanye “meanest ever” Gretz made me write on article last week) and after a quick glance through some of the articles, it is nice to know we are less than two weeks from rookie camp, and just under three weeks from main camp.

I’ll get to the Oilers in a bit.

I know it is hard, but if you can convince your boss to let you take two consecutive weeks of holidays I’d highly recommend it. Two weeks away from my show and the Nation and I feel refreshed. I vowed to get away from sports and try some new things. I only watched one entire sporting event in the past 16 days, when 20 friends and I took in the Canadian Derby at Northlands. If you’ve never been, I recommend going next year. Dress up in your best Derby garb and you’ll have a blast. I didn’t win any money, but picked a few winners.

I went to the fringe and actually spent as much time watching the street performers as I did in the beer gardens. They were good. I went to Lady Gaga last Friday, got my Gaga glasses, didn’t become a little monster, but I was thoroughly impressed with the concert. Gaga can flat out sing, and her show had a more theatrical flair than a usual concert. Even if her music isn’t your type of genre, the spectacle is great. The opening act, Semi Precious Metals, was atrocious though.

Worst performance I have ever witnessed. And I covered the Oilers last season.

Like any good holiday I golfed a lot. Played in my first Pro-Am at Goose Hummock on Aug 19th at it was great. I’m lucky enough to get invited to lots of charity tournaments, but the Pro-Am was a different type of fun because it was competitive. You played your own ball, and on certain holes I hack like me needed to shoot well.

I loved it.

I took part in SMASH out MS on August 14th at the Ranch. It was loads of fun, and you know Edmontonians are generous when people will pay more to charity to golf with me. I emceed Blair Oko’s 11th annual tourney for the Cross Cancer Institute on August 20th at Northern Bear, and the course was in the best shape I’ve ever seen it. I also played in Kevin Karius’ Easter Seals tourney on Aug 25th and Joffrey Lupul’s Bissell Centre tourney on the 26th.

The best part of these tournaments is meeting and interacting with the families that are affected by the different diseases/ailments. In sports we throw out terms like toughness, warriors, strength, courage and determination, but these families and kids reflect those words better than sports does. I love being invited to take part in these events and watching the kids and their parents fight through the adversity is really inspiring.

So a big thanks to Scott Lopetinsky , Kate Gallagher, Darla Zuk, Glenn Isaac, Oko, Karius, Lupul and the families of those affected for inviting me and letting me witness your tremendous courage and strength. I left every tournament feeling inspired after hearing the speeches.

BACK TO SPORTS

Alright, back to business.

Yesterday I tried to catch up on what happened in sports. I PVR’d the Esks/Riders game and UFC 118 on Saturday, back-tracked through articles on the Nation and browsed over various sports sites to ensure I’m at least cognizant of what is going on.

The Esks might have a quarterback controversy on their hands after a surprising win over the Riders. The Esks offence still doesn’t look sharp, and while Jared Zabransky has a stronger arm and legs than Ricky Ray, I’m still not sold on his decision making. Gutsy call by Richie Hall to go back to Ray for the final drive, but it paid off.

An over-the-hill boxer couldn’t beat a past-best-due-date MMA fighter. No surprise there, but it was embarrassing that James Toney didn’t even throw a punch.

The Oilers hired Jack Michaels as their play-by-play guy, yet some on the Nation thought the announcement took too long, and that was somehow a negative. Any play-by-play guy worth a grain of salt will have the roster memorized in less than a day. The Oilers could have announced Michaels on Sept 10th and he still would have been ready for the rookie game September 12th.

The OilersNation was restless wondering why Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano had yet to sign. “It’s just another example of Steve Tambellini’s inability to make a decision,” or “Sam and Andrew must not want to play here,” were a few of the comments I read.

STUNNED

I’ll admit I’m a bit stunned by those comments.

Why would Tambellini rush to overpay Gagner and Cogliano? Kevin Lowe has been ripped for overpaying Shawn Horcoff, Fernando Pisani, Steve Staios, Robert Nilsson and Dustin Penner (until last year), so why does Tambellini need to rush out and sign Cogliano and Gagner?

He doesn’t, and there was no way Gagner or Cogliano wouldn’t be signed.

Those two have no bargaining rights. Cogliano’s coming off his worst season, while Gagner hasn’t matched his rookie totals in the previous two seasons. Some suggested Gagner and Cogliano will be pissed off or resentful if they only get one-year deals. Do they really deserve more? Gilbert Brule signed a one-year deal last year and then produced his best point totals ever.

Gagner and Cogliano have no reason to feel slighted, nor do I think they will. In fact, I bet they’d prefer one-year deals, so they can produce and get more money next summer.

Now that Gagner has a two-year deal averaging $2.275 million, I’d look for Cogliano to fall somewhere in the $1.7 to $1.9 million range. I still think Cogliano and his camp will try and get a one-year deal. Gagner’s new deal should be a great signing for the Oilers. If Gagner becomes the offensive stalwart they hope he does, then he’ll be a bargain for two seasons, and when his deal is done they will have to decide what to do with Ales Hemsky and Dustin Penner, who will be UFAs in two years.

I think the term and salary give the Oilers room to maneuver in the summer of 2012.

KHABBY WATCH CONTINUES

Nikolai Khabibulin has to be nervous right now. He will find out his fate tomorrow, but here’s a breakdown of what he could be facing in Phoenix tomorrow.

First Offense Extreme DUI (BAC .150 - .199)

Jail: Range of 30 to 180 days in jail. Minimum of 30 consecutive days in jail. The Court may suspend 20 of the 30 days if you successfully complete all recommended counseling and education.

Fines & Costs: Aproximately $3,000.00 in fines and costs, plus jail costs. The more jail time imposed the greater the additional costs. NOTE: Jail costs can amount to thousands of dollars in addition to the fines and costs.

License: The MVD will suspend your drivers' license for 90 days. You may be eligible for a work/school permit after the first 30 days of the suspension.

Counseling: If convicted you must get a substance abuse evaluation and comply with any recommendation or be subject to additional jail time.

Probation: You may be placed on probation for up to five years.

Community Service: The court may impose community service.

MADD Victims' Impact Panel: The court may order you to attend one or more sessions of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving Victims Impact Panel.

Ignition Interlock Device: Required for 12 months after license reinstatement.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
August 30 2010, 11:24AM

welcome back

#2 Mike
August 30 2010, 11:25AM

I will admit Gaga was better than I expected. Gregor do you think Cogliano will get signed before camp. I keep reading/hearing they are far apart. Is this true?

#3 Souby
August 30 2010, 11:30AM

Welcome back Gregor. The Oil got Gagner locked up (my 5 year old son's favorite player) and now they only have Cogs left to sign. I am hearing that the two sides are far apart on money/terms. Do you feel that Cogs may be asking for more of a commitment from the Oil seeing as they have tried to trade him twice?

#4 Harlie
August 30 2010, 11:33AM

wow...you only lose your license for 90 days but they toss your can in jail for a minimum of 30 days. Sucks to be Khabby right now.

#5 Deep Oil
August 30 2010, 11:37AM

I am confused on why Patrick LaForge would state to Bob Stauffer on live radio that the oilers had no idea that Khabibulin was arrested for dui, 3 - 4 weeks after the arrest. Oilers were in town for the game, superbowl sunday night, monday morning.... must be corporate branding amnesia, or as Roger Clemens states, maybe he mis remembered.

Here is a comment via the Edmonton Journal from Khabibulin's lawyer.....

www.edmontonjournal.com/story_print.html?id=3452635&sponsor=

DuBiel didn’t want to comment on the judge’s ruling or speculate about what’s to come, but he did say the Oilers have been involved from the beginning and Khabibulin has kept hockey as a top priority.

#6 David S
August 30 2010, 11:38AM

Man am I glad to have you back. Spector and Brownlee were pretty good, but your show only really works with you in the chair. That was pretty obvious over the past two weeks.

BTW - I saw you with your Gaga glasses on Friday night. Freaking hilarious! Looked like you and Karius were having fun.

#7 Deep Oil
August 30 2010, 11:45AM

Gregor, it appears that Gaga is an Oiler fan, here is a tweet that went out to 5 million people, promoting the new oiler slogan... the letter O was covered up via some spotlight drapes.

http://twitpic.com/2ixeqy - holy mother of laughter

#8 snoopy
August 30 2010, 11:47AM

welcome back gregor !!! nice to see the oil do the right thing with the capitals manager and come out and say the oiler organization won't stand for that type of conduct from our employees. MY question is where are the oiler brass now ??? our goalie drives twice the legal limit no press conference nothing now last time i checked calling somebody a name is not illegal imoral you bet good move by the club to fire him but your goalie could have killed someone and he still has a job funny to me if the oil choose to get on a soap box and say this stuff make it fair dui is illegal and destroys lives name calling hurts people but is not a criminal charge. just wondering !!!

#9 Wanye
August 30 2010, 11:52AM
Deep Oil wrote:

http://twitpic.com/2ixeqy - holy mother of laughter

The things you find online deep oil. Holy man.

#10 Stone Hands McOsta
August 30 2010, 11:58AM

Glad to see you're back Gregor,

A bit off topic, but sticking with sports;

I haven't seen much chit-chat about the Dolphins this year which I'm a bit surprised about. Are you worried? I know you are usually confident no matter the roster shape up, yet I haven't heard anything? Where do you see your fish sitting this year in the AFC East? Can they claim the division?

I gotta say, with the addition of Marshall I can see the fish making that one of the best divisional battles to watch over the course of the year, along with the NFC North.

#11 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 30 2010, 11:59AM

Zabranksy may have made some stupid decisions, but considering how much experience he has I don't think he was that bad. It does give the Esks another option when Ray isn't doing well or the team needs a spark.

I thought it was more embarrassing that Toney didn't even come to the cage in any sort of shape, I know that he fought like that in boxing towards the end of his career but something tells me he wasn't ready to last the MMA 5 minute rounds.

Restless is quite an understatement when it comes to Gagner and Cogliano. I don't think people realize that this is happening all across the league with higher profile players.

#12 Jamie B.
August 30 2010, 12:02PM

Not only do they send you to jail, they make you pay for it? Yowch. That must be a pretty effective punishment to the average working-class person.

#13 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 30 2010, 12:06PM

@Jamie B.

I wonder how that works for the common criminal that has no money?

#14 Petr's Jofa
August 30 2010, 12:07PM

Any news on how Khabi's back is doing?

#15 Jamie B.
August 30 2010, 12:09PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I wonder how that works for the common criminal that has no money?

I dunno, but just based on the American health care and education systems, I think they're okay with saddling a lot of debt on people.

#16 Dyckster
August 30 2010, 12:10PM
Petr's Jofa wrote:

Any news on how Khabi's back is doing?

He might have to start worrying about his back end too. :)

#17 Deep Oil
August 30 2010, 12:13PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I wonder how that works for the common criminal that has no money?

You can sign up for overtime with Sheriff Joe on his chain gang, no fooling.

Sheriff Joe feels that public display of criminals creates an environment that would be arizona criminals may wish to avoid.

Chain Gang Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tfIKUZ0fY

#18 Deep Oil
August 30 2010, 12:19PM
Petr's Jofa wrote:

Any news on how Khabi's back is doing?

Not that good after digging graves in AZ for 30 days. Maybe some wine and some muscle relaxants will help afterwards....

That's Life In The City: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders DUI ...13 Dec 2007 ... Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders DUI Offenders To Dig Graves. Convicted drink drivers are being forced to wear pink shirts and form a chain ... thatslifeinthecity.blogspot.com/.../arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio-orders-dui.html - Cached - Similar

#23 Gilmore Tuttle
August 30 2010, 12:34PM
Deep Oil wrote:

Here is a comment via the Edmonton Journal from Khabibulin's lawyer.....

www.edmontonjournal.com/story_print.html?id=3452635&sponsor=

Wasn't Khabiboozin was actually in the guest team box watching the Oilers lose that night and having the cliche "one or two beers (wine)"? Usually the interviews on Oilers Infomercial err Lunch are carefully scripted. I am sure all recordings and transcripts of that show have mysteriously gone missing. They even had Neilson pushing their PR talking points on how great the the LA Live/downtown experience when Bum was away. I hope he got paid extra for having to do that.

Corporate branding amnesia? Would the last x number of years of "sell outs" fall into that category?

#24 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 30 2010, 12:54PM

What in the *&^^ is with the glasses?

#25 Bob
August 30 2010, 01:01PM

"The Court may suspend 20 of the 30 days if you successfully complete all recommended counseling and education."

He will most likely be out in 10 days.

"Khabiboozin"....love it!

#26 freeze
August 30 2010, 01:20PM

I'm sure Khabiboozin will get off light with his sentencing tomorrow but since he has been convicted will that change his work visa status?

edit: sorry if this has been covered already.

#27 Gilmore Tuttle
August 30 2010, 01:20PM

Mr. Stauffer is now disagreeing with Brownlee about how to handle the Khabibulin situation and is already making excuses for his "co-worker" by saying lots of people have been busted for DUI and it is not the worst thing that anybody has ever done. What would his tune be if Khabi had run over a couple of little kids and their nanny or smashed into some poor old retired couple from Spruce Grove there on vacation? I guess drunkenly firing my .30-30 off my back deck into the neighbourhood is okay too as long as I don't hurt anybody. Me thinks he dost protest too much and/or following the party line.

#28 Ender
August 30 2010, 01:23PM

I know I should look this up on my own but . . . well, truth is I'm too lazy.

Question #1: When Sam's 2-year deal expires, will he be an RFA or a UFA?

Question #2: What is the maximum term the Oilers can offer Cogs in order for him to still be an RFA at the end of it? Does a 2-year deal make him a UFA?

I'm sure Jason or someone smart has run across this information, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled and haven't stumbled over it yet.

#29 Ender
August 30 2010, 01:26PM
freeze wrote:

edit: sorry if this has been covered already.

Initially, I believe yes. However, there are various ways that VISA'a can be reinstated and people like ReKhabi with weath, power, and and connections can surmount these hurdles far more quickly than the average Joe. In short, if the Oilers go to bat for him, Khabi can probably get his VISA back fairly easily. If the Oilers actually decide to drop him, though, Khabi may have to suffer a little bit before casually flitting country to country again.

#30 Team Hall
August 30 2010, 01:30PM

Glad you're back, JG, even though you actually were in Edmutton the entire time. I have to go ahead and disagree with your eskies take, the gutsy call was not putting Ray back in, but putting in a raw rookie with a great arm, great legs, and no brain over a proven vet who simply achieves year in and year out. They won that game because of Ray, not young "Flash in the pan". Stick with Ray, he's not the problem, there is no QB controversy, period. We have a crap team, the only good thing we have is a kicker and a QB, and now everyone wants to jump on the QB? Brett "old man" Favre couldnt turn this ship around.

#33 Ender
August 30 2010, 01:43PM

@Jason Gregor

Thanks, Gregor. I figured you'd know. I have to admit I'm surprised at how far away they still are; other media guys were hinting that both Cogs and Gags were holding out for contracts that would take them into unrestricted free agency. Did either of these guys seriously think they were going to negotiate a 4- or 5-year deal? Especially Cogliano . . .

Now that there's obviously no chance of that, I can't see what Andrew is still hoping for. He can take what the Oilers give him or he can learn to upsell fries. Cold hard truth is that Cogs needs the Oilers far, far worse than the Oilers need Cogs. With no offer sheets in sight, Cogs had better just take a deal and get ready to play. If he really thinks he's going to get time in the top-6, he should negotiate for maximum price on a 1-year and try for a better deal next year. On the other hand, if he thinks Renney is going to bury him on the fourth line again, Cogs should take the longest term the Oil are offering and pray for a trade. Worst case scenario there might be 2-3 years on the fringe but at least you know you're a millionaire at the end of it.

#34 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 30 2010, 02:03PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Just to clarify, I've never been one to rip on Ray. I've said this year and last he wasn't the problem. Z gives them a different look, and I'd use his legs now and again, but I still go back to Ray. As for the QB controversy, it will be there, but I'd go with Ray.

The O-line needs to improve before this offence gets much better. And without Stamps their receiving corps is pretty weak.

The one thing I like that Zabransky brings is some nice mis-direction with the play action where it's not just a handoff or pass, the potential for the quarterback run is there too.

#35 Ender
August 30 2010, 02:04PM

ubermiguel wrote:

Sadly Sportnet has reported that Comrie's not coming back. He's not a bottom 6 guy and there's no room in the top 6 according to Tambo.

Hopefully he signs somewhere. Solid NHL forward, could be had for cheap, lots of bottom dwellers could do worse.

You know, I didn't think we necessarily needed Mikey back on this team but I'm still somehow surprised to actually hear it from Tambi. Despite the logic, I really expected the announcement any time now that terms for another 1-year deal had been agreed upon. That Duff-Man really isn't coming back . . . it feels kind of weird, I have to say.

I wonder how long Mike's known and if he's talked to any Cali teams yet?

#36 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 30 2010, 02:07PM
Ender wrote:

I don't know that Cogs wants a long term contract, I think it's more about omitted last season and getting paid for his first 2 years.

#37 Gilmore Tuttle
August 30 2010, 02:10PM

A little off the RR v. Z topic but still with the Eskimos. Why didn't Dwayne M. schedule the Double E to wear their green 70's throwback uniforms on Saturday against the 'riders in theirs? That would have been cool. It seems hit and miss with that whole retro program this year. I know that most teams seem to have used the dark/home ones but you would think that with only 9 teams, they could have figured something out.

#38 Jamie B.
August 30 2010, 02:22PM
Gilmore Tuttle wrote:

Well, frankly, yeah, firing at your neighbours' house would get you a much different sentence than if you actually shot one of them. I didn't hear Stauffer but the truth is there are guys in the NHL right now with DUIs or much worse (Heatley being the obvious example). I don't think the Oilers should act like it's no big deal, but no, they're not going to publicly castigate the guy while he's still under their employment. Which he will be.

#39 baggedmilk
August 30 2010, 02:45PM

If you want my opinion, and I know you do, Mike Comrie should take the year off to toss the bricks to his new wife morning, noon, and night.

Mmm Lizzie McGuire...

#40 baggedmilk
August 30 2010, 02:47PM

As a side thought, couldn't someone hire Pierre McGuire to be a GM already. I'm tired of his glimouring dome burning my retinas when I'm watching games on TSN. Not mention his lust for Dion Phaneuf, and over pronouncing ever single French name in the history of the world.

"The Colorado Avalanche should definitely hire Paaattrrriiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeek RrrrRRrrrRrroooyyy."

Nick Kipreos sucks too. Screw that guy.

#41 David S
August 30 2010, 02:48PM
Ender wrote:

ubermiguel wrote:

I wonder how long Mike's known and if he's talked to any Cali teams yet?

"We want to give our skill positions to our younger players," Oilers GM Steve Tambellini told Sportsnet.ca.

OK. Now that we have that cleared up, let's get the "Fall for (insert 2011 1st draft pick here)" thing going again. Man are we gonna get our butts kicked this year. Its gonna be epic.

#42 baggedmilk
August 30 2010, 02:49PM

P.P.S.

Khabibulin will now be able to car pool with J-Bo to Oilers/Flames games. Excellent idea!

#43 Jax
August 30 2010, 02:52PM

Gregor: Do you know if the oilers rookie game vs golden bears game is still on this year? Or was it scrapped due to the rookie tournament in pentiction

#44 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 30 2010, 02:55PM
Gilmore Tuttle wrote:

The thing is he didn't do those things you mentioned. If he did then it would be a totally different scenario.

He made a mistake and has to pay the price, but adding all these stupid what if scenarios is getting stupid.

#45 freshpotofcoffey
August 30 2010, 03:08PM

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that @azc_mclellan's twitter following shot through the roof during rehabiboozin's trial and might see a sharp decline come Wednesday.

And I am a betting man. Anyone know where you can bet on twitter followers? It's gotta be somewhere, you can bet on Eurovision and Rome's Smackoff these days.

#46 Thinker
August 30 2010, 03:22PM

Why wouldn't the oilers go after an rfa once they get cogs signed if they can get a long term deal on a good player(preferably a defence or goalie) that could be a good help in the future. Penner wasn't that bad his first two years with around 20 goal campaigns, but the oil could have got him for less at the time so why not try to get a decent player for around 2.5 million which will be worth less in a few years with the ever-increasing cap. I believe that if we grabbed a marc staal our defence would be respectable this year, and we would have a legit defensive prospect. Just make sure we dont give up more than a second rounder *dont think me dumb because i dont think the oilers need another top 5 pick as they will barely keep all these kids under the cap right now

i also think that kirill kabanov wouldve been a great third round pick because if he loses the attitude hes a top 10 pick. And im sure that you could get a first round pick in return for him in a couple years, or he wouldve been good to package with a vet for a star

#47 coco crisp
August 30 2010, 03:24PM

Nope, screw Zabransky, i froze my nuts off watching the game. I really did not want to see him throw anymore interceptions. Throw in Maas. But no more Zabransky please!

#48 ubermiguel
August 30 2010, 03:28PM

@David S

"OK. Now that we have that cleared up, let's get the Fall for (insert 2011 1st draft pick here)" thing going again. Man are we gonna get our butts kicked this year. Its gonna be epic."

As Wayne said in the Gagner article: "I'm cheering for "Exciting last place hockey" from the Oilers this year. Anything more than that is a squandered opportunity."

I've already prepared myself for the year of "Suck in Style".

#49 Action Jackson
August 30 2010, 03:48PM

@ubermiguel

Agreed! Give me an A or an F...this year looks like an F, but it should be fun to watch!

#50 Thinker
August 30 2010, 03:56PM

Maas isnt good at all anymore we need an o line ricky ray, fred stamps and heart and soul kamau peterson