Healthy Plante Important

Lowetide
September 15 2010 09:28PM

In the first period of tonight's Young Stars game against San Jose's rookies, Alex Plante fell at the end of a fight and hit the back of his head. It is exactly the kind of thing the Oilers (and Plante) badly needed to avoid.

Plante had a disastrous 2007-08. Back problems at 2007 Oilers rookie camp slowed his development and he then suffered a concussion mid-season 07-08 with the Hitmen (WHL). Guy Flaming January 2008:

• I spoke with Hitmen head coach Kelly Kisio about an hour ago and he confirmed CONCUSSION for Plante. I also spoke with Plante for about 20 minutes. He feels he'll be back in about a week or so, hopefully before the Hitmen are back at Rexall on the 18th. He was running stairs at Rexall about an hour ago so clearly the brain must be feeling much better.Also confirmed that his back was not re-injured, it was all about his face (cuts) and head (concussion). The back is close to if not 100%, says he has some soreness once in a while but due more to "Having had to be Mr. Perfect Posture there for a month or so". Hopefully he can get a break and stay healthy for the second half because the Hitmen could very well win the 'Dub this year.

Last year, his season ended early, once again due to concussion. Tonight's injury could be no big deal (Plante won't be back tonight) but it could be his second concussion in a calendar year (and third since he was drafted). Oilers fans have watched the team lose many fine defense prospects to injuries over the years, and losing Plante for an extended period would leave the quality prospects on D at a very low ebb.

Hopefully we'll get good news at main training camp.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Petr's Jofa
September 15 2010, 09:30PM

Brutal

#2 Ryan14
September 15 2010, 09:36PM

Maybe avoid fights? That's to bad. He seemed to be making strides last year.

#4 Jigger
September 15 2010, 09:45PM

Watching this game I think I now know why they used a 3rd on Abney and signed Smack!

#5 MattL
September 15 2010, 09:47PM

Who is calling PBP this game? Gener or Michaels? Sounds like Gener is calling most of the action. Bizarre.

#7 MattL
September 15 2010, 09:53PM

Pitton's last game in an Oilers jersey? Hopefully.

Man, Paajarvi is going to be fun to watch.

#9 RossCreekNation
September 15 2010, 09:58PM
Lowetide wrote:

Pitton's rebound control is terrible.

With Roy & Bunz... you gotta think this will be Pitton's last season with Oil.

#11 jake
September 15 2010, 10:03PM

The SJ player ripped at Plante's helmet like a facemask penalty in football, thought his head was going to spin off. Brutal.

#12 Robert
September 15 2010, 10:04PM

Being an older guy, understanding that the team will change from year to year, I don't pay attention to each player portrayed in the tournament. What I figure is that the pressure is so high, some people will panic. Think of you applying for a sales job going from 60k a year to maybe a million. Nerves will come into the fray. What I hope is that the Oilers won't rush players like Hall and Pajarvii (sp.), unless they play like Crosby. They did that in the past with bad results. I am looking forward to the next season however, with the "kids". All the changes Tambellini has made should add up. Having said all that, season ticket holders won't really like the team ending up bottom 3 or 4. I am not a season ticket holder, and after seeing the prices for the year, sorry....not gonna do it. Last comment, I hear that Sportsnet is going to show most of the games for the year (53?). The fact that the Oilers gave up the Pay per View games....does that mean that Sportsnet will show most of the good games via Sportsnet1, the new channel? Don't even know what channel that is. Anyway....go Oilers go....Hope you change the announcer as well, just to get a fresh start.

Bobby

#13 Jeremy S.
September 15 2010, 10:07PM

I really hope Plante is ok, would not be cool at all if he ended up being hurt for any period of time. He has to push Petry and Chroney to be better.

#14 Gretzkin
September 15 2010, 10:08PM

Seeing Paajarvi with such speed in Oilers silks is super refreshing. Turned on the 2nd and saw him explode into the rush (and then kindly pass it). Eberle is calm as a cucmber, and I think a year waiting on Pitlick will be worth it. To add him to these boys is a pretty sweet looking future core.

#15 Cru Jones
September 15 2010, 10:21PM

Hall.

#17 Jeremy S.
September 15 2010, 10:22PM

Has Hall won a faceoff all game?

#18 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:27PM

Is there really a player named Bunz?

*1,567,384 jokes spring to mind simultaneously*

#19 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:28PM
Jeremy S. wrote:

Has Hall won a faceoff all game?

IT BEGINS

*this is officially the first Taylor Hall diss ever on the site*

#20 Shaun Doe
September 15 2010, 10:29PM
Wanye wrote:

Is there really a player named Bunz?

*1,567,384 jokes spring to mind simultaneously*

Gene already said that Bunz had made some saves, "on his bunz".

#21 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:31PM
Shaun Doe wrote:

Gene already said that Bunz had made some saves, "on his bunz".

Boy, would his job ever get easy if this kid played for the Oil.

Gene also declared Hall would be on the Oilers powerplay for the next 15 years.

*fingers crossed*

#22 Jeremy S.
September 15 2010, 10:33PM

@Wanye

The "I can play centre" even though he hasn't in 3 years is just a bit difficult to believe. Going to take some time before he can adapt to taking faceoffs again.

#23 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:33PM

The excitement in Gene's voice as he just yelled SHOT!!!! from Hall (from the half boards) (in a young stars game) warms my heart

#24 John Doe
September 15 2010, 10:35PM

As Dirty as this makes me feel I was googling around about Sportsnet One and it seems that something turned up on the Canucks forums.

"So I just got off the phone with telus and Optik will hold the SN1 free preview starting SEPTEMBER 22nd on these channels: Standard Definition: 106 High Definition: 677"

"Just tuned into Sportnet one on shaw Channel 225 in HD. "

It seems like Telus will probably put it in their sports top up package ( a $2/month package) and god knows how much shaw will charge :)

Makes me feel just a bit better that I switched to telus optik tonight :)

#25 ShaunDoe
September 15 2010, 10:35PM

~not with his face-off skilss...~ By the way does anyone know if MPS uses a smaller size of shin pads than average? His legs always appear thin

#26 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:37PM
Jeremy S. wrote:

You are going to like the article I'm about to post that Brownlee just sent in.

#28 misfit
September 15 2010, 10:39PM

I could be wrong, but it didn't look to me like Plante hit his head when he fell to the ice. I did see him holding his head after the fact, but I just figured that was him protecting himself while on the ground.

Did they end up getting confirmation on the injury he suffered? Because it may be something completely unrelated (as in not a head injury. Obviously he got hurt in the fight).

#29 @NateInVegas
September 15 2010, 10:40PM

#30 Jeremy S.
September 15 2010, 10:40PM
Wanye wrote:

You are going to like the article I'm about to post that Brownlee just sent in.

LOL I hope so. I normally agree with his angry takes, but since he lost the weight he lost some of his bitterness.

But really unless he wins some faceoffs in the offensive zone I would like to see him on the wing. However, if you want to see him there you mine as well in this game lol

#31 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:46PM

Apparently the article won't be ready for a few more minutes until the game is over.

In the meantime let's all listen to the dulcet tones of Principe, convincing us that Hall will be supremely pissed if the Oilers lose tonight.

#32 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:51PM
@NateInVegas wrote:

That really says it all for this game IMHO Nate.

#33 book¡e
September 15 2010, 10:54PM
Wanye wrote:

Is there really a player named Bunz?

*1,567,384 jokes spring to mind simultaneously*

Despite all the hype around the guy, he has done nothing to improve the team during his time here. There was talk of him and Hemsky really gelling, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. I think its clear that the Hall as Saviour crowd has to admit that the dream is over and that Hall has been a failure.

#34 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:54PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

*oh wait, it doesn't matter.

#36 book¡e
September 15 2010, 10:55PM
Wanye wrote:

That really says it all for this game IMHO Nate.

I thought it was Nate's best comment in years and I think we should all 'Prop' it.

#37 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:55PM
book¡e wrote:

LOLZ

You don't think Hall is going to have a few psi of pressure during the season do you?

#38 RossCreekNation
September 15 2010, 10:56PM
@NateInVegas wrote:

Word.

#39 Wanye
September 15 2010, 10:57PM
book¡e wrote:

I'm with you. He has my prop.

As an aside - what is the 6th letter in your name? I've always wondered how you did that?*

*That's what she said

#40 book¡e
September 15 2010, 11:43PM
Wanye wrote:

I'm with you. He has my prop.

*That's what she said

The sixth letter in my name is 'e'. It is a standard English letter from something known as the Alphabet. However, the fifth letter, that's a whole 'nother story.

I used to just be 'bookie' because there was a book on my desk and I needed a name for blogger. At some point I came across this as I was reading Wikipedia.

In certain Ethiopic languages, sarcasm and unreal phrases are indicated at the end of a sentence with a sarcasm mark called temherte slaqî or temherte slaq (U+00A1) ( ¡ ), a character that looks like the inverted exclamation point

Given that I tend to say more sarcastic things than anything else, I thought it was an appropriate replacement for the i (Although in ON, it doesn't work for my posting name). So, after a quick 'cut and paste' operation book¡e was my new name.

Edit: The symbol just comes across as an 'i' here in ON. Wanye - any history to your name? Is the 'ny' just to keep Gretzy from suing you for infringing on his green tea royalties?

#41 Petr's Jofa
September 16 2010, 08:04AM
Wanye wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

*oh wait, it doesn't matter.

I think that's the new slogan for the 2010-11 Edmonton Oilers.

#42 Randall Shermer
September 16 2010, 10:03PM
book¡e wrote:

For whatever reason I assumed the temherte slaq was just a semicolon. I'm bummed now.

And Wanye Gretz obviously rhymes with Kanye West, right?