Take A Picture (It Lasts Longer)

Lowetide
September 18 2010 07:37AM

This morning, Edmonton Oiler players and fans begin their annual journey through training camp and pre-season. It is a bonding ritual that dates back decades and includes some of the very best players in the history of the game. Today, eyes that have followed great players, also rans and never-were's will follow Taylor Hall, Magnus Pääjärvi, Jordan Eberle, Tyler Pitlick and others. This year is believed to be more important than recent seasons. Why?

For the generation of Oilers fan who followed the team during the time of Mike Rogers or Wayne Gretzky, this period of the rebuild (outstanding young prospects just getting started) reminds us of two or three pre-seasons. Maybe 1979, or 1980, or maybe 1994. We know there are good times ahead, great memories to come. For the Oiler fan who became a member of OilersNation with the Marchant goal, this experience might be a little unique. For someone who came to the Oilers as a fan in 2006, this is going to be fun.

And in  a very real way, it all begins this morning. Here's a quick list of some of the players who are worth following:

• #4 Taylor Hall: It'll be interesting to see how quickly he adjusts to the increased size and speed of the NHL game. He's a very confident young man, and a productive pre-season could set the tone for his entire season. Sam Gagner went through the fall 2007 pre-season 4gp, 2-0-2; Andrew Cogliano went 7gp, 4-3-7 the same year.
  • #14 Jordan Eberle: I think he'll be the most complete rookie this season. He's the oldest of the group, has a lot of experience against older competition and thinks the game so well. I bet he becomes a PK option--maybe not this season--and his passing ability is splendid. Went 4gp, 0-0-0 -1 last pre-season.
  • #23 Linus Omark: You have to hand it to the procurement department. They lose a puck wizard like Schremp and find a replacement the following TC. Another youtube sensation, this one has more experience and foot speed. I think he's going to be a fan favorite by noon today.
  • #30 Olivier Roy: The kid is building a nice resume and may end up eating everyone's lunch down the line. For now, a solid training camp will serve as a reminder to management about his abilities. A strong WJ performance could put him in the conversation for NHL employment as early as 2011 fall.
  • #48 Alex Plante: This is an important year for the young defender. He's at an age where the organization should be considering him for callup, and last season was impressive (despite the horrible team he played on in Springfield). I don't think he'll make the roster, but a solid camp may mean a quick recall.
  • #54 Chris Vande Velde: Big college center should stand out from the rookie crowd based solely on age. This training camp is very important for him, he'll need to make a good impression.
  • #56 Teemu Hartikainen: Big Finn (yeah!) is a more mature player than many rookies at this year's camp. His size and grit should mean he stands out in the crowd.
  • #58 Jeff Petry: I'd like to find out where he is in terms of progress compared to someone like Plante (or Chorney). If Petry can handle the big wingers and has an idea about positioning, we might see him in Edmonton later this season.
  • #68 Tyler Pitlick: Looked like a really good young player in rookie camp, now we'll get to see him against older, more mature talent. The early buzz on him is loud.
  • #91 Magnus Pääjärvi: The man has wheels and an impressive touch around the net. You get the feeling he won't take long to adjust. Appears fearless, and he can fly.

Those are the names I'll be watching closely over the next couple of weeks. Some of these kids are going to be here a decade from now. The 10-11 Oilers training camp really is hockey's future on display.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 knee deep in it
September 18 2010, 07:49AM

motorFIST makes some awesome clothing

the kids will be OK, it is Plante and Petry that need to progress in order for us to be the next Chicago, not Islanders.

#2 RossCreekNation
September 18 2010, 07:57AM

Do we know which group is first... would assuming that since A comes before B & C be too simple? What about tomorrow @ Millenium? Gotta get ready for a wedding shortly, but I was thinking of sneaking in a quick trip to Rexall for an hour. Priorities, man... priorities.

Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Hockey!

#3 @NateInVegas
September 18 2010, 07:58AM

#30 Olivier Roy is the most intriguing prospect to me.

Since the Oilers don't have a #1 Center or Defenseman I'm hoping this guy emerges to fill the gap in the middle.

Campbell V Roy in Buffalo!

#4 Jerk Store
September 18 2010, 08:14AM

Lowetide, I am wracking my shriveled brain to think of a recent - even within the last 25 years - NHL team that had 3 rookie forwards make any kind of significant impresion on a team, let alone the NHL. If you or anyone has an example, I would love to hear it. Duschene and O'Reilly were both pretty good last year - but that was only 2 and THAT was an abberation. My point is history does not give us any type of precedent to be as giddy as we are about Ebpaahall. It would be great to see, but a far more likely scenario is a Gagner or Brule take the next step. I know others have said it before and have said it better, but I am hopeful Oil fans don't become crazed if we don't have 3 Calder finalists this year.

I am not a pessimist, just an optimist with experience.

#5 Obsessed
September 18 2010, 08:26AM

Thanks for another good read LT.

#7 Reagan
September 18 2010, 08:36AM

Fist!

#8 Jerk Store
September 18 2010, 08:42AM

Sorry, LT that is certainly what I meant but was not clear on. No way to get enough "sugar" time for 3 offensive rookies to make huge point contibutions without demoralizing the Hemskys / Penners / gagners / etc.

#10 Tha Legion
September 18 2010, 08:59AM

It's early.... Penner does look slender

#11 BArmstrong
September 18 2010, 09:25AM

My FIST post ever!!

STOKED about the future.

I agree that a Calder winner will probably not emerge out of the three - although possible. Even if they develop in a wide ranging group, that won't leave much for the front runner.

What I think I'm most excited about, is the possibility of a Hall/Horcoff/Eberle line commanding 1st pairing attention leaving the opponent's 2nd pairing to handle Hemsky/Gagner/Penner (or vice versa). And, the opponent's 3rd pairing to handle Brule/Cogliano/Paajarvi. It will be goals galore. What I'm least excited about is; it will be goals galore (plus a few more) coming back the other way.

And I'm still more than a little concerned that the top 9's speed will be enough to overcome their lack of size and physicality.

But did I mention I'm stoked!!

Oh, and LT, great stuff all summer.

#12 longbottom/P.Biglow
September 18 2010, 09:32AM

Great post Lowtide, Myself I am watching Eberle he has conquered everything up till now am curious how he will do in the pros.

#13 Bawlf
September 18 2010, 10:00AM

@longbottom/P.Biglow

I agree with you here. There is no question that his three clutch goals in the past two world junoirs have generated quite an exitment about this kid nationwide. I wonder if he can show the type of poise,heart, and determination that he showed in those two finals on a day in day out basis wearing the copper and blue

#14 commonfan13
September 18 2010, 10:58AM

What are people projecting as a possible equivalent for Pitlick?

Is he maybe a Mikko Koivu type as a best case scenario?

#15 Quicksilver ballet
September 18 2010, 11:00AM

Took in the early session, Pitlick looks like a keeper. Jacques, don't know what's going on with him, looks like a fat cat with a gauranteed roster spot. He looks disinterested and looks like he's just going through the motions. Stevie Smith should get out his cattle prod.

#16 Jason Gregor
September 18 2010, 11:01AM
Jerk Store wrote:

I am not a pessimist, just an optimist with experience.

The Avs also had rookie TJ Galiardi. Granted Galiardi was 22, but he was still a rookie and he outscored O'Reilly.

I think many forget that O'Reilly only had eight goals and 26 points. He wasn't an offensive juggernaut.

Anyone fan who thinks all three kids will be 40 point guys needs to realize that is highly unlikely. Possible I guess, but very doubtful.

So the Avs had Duchene with 24 goals and 55 points, Galiardi with 15 goals and 39 points and O'Reilly.

So 55, 39 and 26 points from three rookies. Granted only Duchene was a first rounder, but if the Oilers could get 55, 41 and 35 points from the three then fans should be very satisfied.

#17 Jason Gregor
September 18 2010, 11:03AM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

I got an update from medical staff. Jacques was out for about 20 min...very cautious after surgery...so not disinterested per say, but just went for a test drive. You weren't seeing things.

#18 Archaeologuy
September 18 2010, 11:13AM

@BArmstrong

Welcome and congrats on the 1st post! Hope there are more in the future.

#19 doritogrande
September 18 2010, 11:32AM

LT: I'm surprised you missed Theo Peckham in your players to watch section. He's the guy with the most to lose in the coming TC. If he starts off slowly, or suffers another injury he's going to get passed for good this time. This is also the time to watch Shawn Belle closely, as he could be the guy eating Peckham's lunch.

#20 BArmstrong
September 18 2010, 11:45AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Welcome and congrats on the 1st post! Hope there are more in the future.

Thanks. I'm not sure how this html stuff works. I'll have to study up on the dark art.

Has anybody heard how Peckham's shoulder has healed up? Without that physical edge to his game he's got no shot. I like his meanness - reminds me of watching Dave Manson's wires cross.

#21 Scott in Grande Prairie
September 18 2010, 12:29PM

Ah, Jill Hennessey. By far, the hottest of the hot assistant-DA's on Law and Order. And Canadian, to boot!

#22 pelhem grenville
September 18 2010, 02:39PM

@Scott in Grande Prairie

Ah,LT? ... Diane know about Jill ?

#23 @NateInVegas
September 18 2010, 02:57PM

Renney's system shall be known as the "left wing unlock".

@LT,

How did Olivier Roy look?

I'm a big fan of Matt Duchene's but expect the Avs to drop back this year based on their inactivity during the off season.

Duchene will be the Avs #1C by the end of next year.

#24 Wanye
September 18 2010, 06:19PM
BArmstrong wrote:

My FIST post ever!!

STOKED about the future.

But did I mention I'm stoked!!

Oh, and LT, great stuff all summer.

Welcome aboard rookie. Unfortunately we haze here at the Nation.

*gets body wax ready*

#28 ubermiguel
September 18 2010, 08:01PM
Scott in Grande Prairie wrote:

Very fine, but Angie Harmon isn't hard on the eyes either.

#29 C-DOG
September 18 2010, 08:55PM
Jerk Store wrote:

I am not a pessimist, just an optimist with experience.

Penner ,Perry, and Getzlaf were impactfull rookies at the same time, but they came up in the second half of that season from the minors, and helped Anaheim advance to the west finals. That's when I first recognized Penner as a beast on the cycle, he actually gave Pronger some problems in the west final.

Chicago had Kane , Toews, and Bolland, although Bolland only played half the year and might not be recognized as a pure skill guy , his last year junior he almost matched Schremp point for point and had a better year than eberle at the same age (I know Londan Knights, but still impressive). Chicago finished 3 points out of the playoffs that year and would of made it had Toews not missed 17 games or so in the 3rd quarter of the season.

If Hall gets 1st p.p time he will do better than Dushene, but there are 9 skilled positons, and only 6 p.p spots, I don't see any forwards playing the point on the p.p.

#30 C-DOG
September 18 2010, 08:59PM
Lowetide wrote:

I don't think we can compare him yet. Bob McKenzie said at the draft that his college numbers came in very little playing time. without those numbers, we can't really project him.

This time next season we'll have a list.

I see Ryan Kessler, physical with touch, but I don't know if he is a @#$% di_k!

#32 Jodes
September 18 2010, 10:04PM

Damn I love that pic of Jill!

Isn't it great to have excitement and confidence back in this franchise instead of the same old same old?

And I know I'm not realy into wild rumours (I can't stand Ecklund) but this made sense:

•Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: If the Columbus Blue Jackets defensive corps has some struggles during training camp/pre-season, don’t be surprised if Sheldon Souray talks heat up. The Oilers want a defenseman or 2 in return, and have cap space to take on more contract.

Does this have legs? Lets put aside the Howson/Lowe relationship, does Columbus have anything we need? Do they have any bad contracts? Could this be the dark horse?

#33 BArmstrong
September 18 2010, 11:07PM

@Wanye

@wayne

How long do I have to leave my avatar like this?

And I've been doing some thinking... if ON hazes, why was there just you and Towel Boy there tonight? I think the story about Brownlee and Lowtide meeting Hallsy for ribs at Tony Romas was BS.

#34 Meancer
September 19 2010, 08:35AM

LT: is this a slightly different picture of the lovely Jill Hennessey? I seem to rememeber more emphasis on the gams in the last one.

Are you hoarding a whole set like this? ;)

#36 Senator Theo
September 19 2010, 10:05AM

@Lowetide

Ha ha - both her and her sister Jaqueline.