JOEY MOSS CUP

Jason Gregor
September 21 2010 08:30PM

The Commissioner, Joey Moss, got the 6000 fans fired up with an energized rendition of O Canada and we finally got to see some scrimmaging in Oiler camp.

The teams were as follows:

TEAM WHITE

Liam Reddox/Brad Moran/Cameron Abney

Tom Gilbert/Johan Motin
Kurtis Foster/Ladislav Smid
Shawn Belle/Theo Peckham

Devan Dubnyk
Jeff Deslauriers

There weren't many chances in the first period. Colin McDonald had the best chance when he ripped a slapper off the short-side post past Gerber, but other than that neither goalie had to make a quality save.

NOTES FROM THE FIRST PERIOD.

• Linus Omark isn't afraid to try things. He tried to deflect the puck over his head, but Dubnyk scooped it out of mid air. Later Omark got too fancy in his own zone, trying to dance around a forechecker. He'll need to realize quickly that won't fly in the NHL.

• Ales Hemsky takes a rare penalty, but team white does nothing on the PP.

• Lowetide's post regarding Ryan O'Marra starts a debate in the pressbox. Ryan Rishaug politely disagrees. We both agree that O'Marra's conditioning looks questionable.

• A hit. McDonald runs into Richard Petiot, and gets his stick up a bit.

• You can tell this is the first real scrimmage for the players, as they are very sloppy.

NOTES FROM SECOND

• Liam Reddox with a great burst of speed down the right side, cuts to the middle, goes around Jeff Petry but fans on the shot. Next shift out Reddox controls the puck down low. Next shift he backchecks and breaks up the rush. Reddox gives you his best effort every shift. He can kill penalties, and he will work his ass off. I think he'll push Ryan Jones for a spot on the team.

• Martin Gerber leaves after facing 12 shots. Devan Dubnyk faced only 6 in his 23 minutes.

• Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I find it interesting that Dubnyk got the start for team blue, while Deslauriers came off the bench. I think the backup job is Dubnyk's to lose.

• Deslauriers faces five shots in his first five minutes.

• O'Marra takes a penalty with 30 seconds left in the period. Team blue starts the PP with Brule, Fraser, and McDonald. Blue starts the 3rd with a :30 PP. Horcoff's line with Foster and Smid start.

NOTES FROM THE THIRD

•  Foster finally gives the crowd something to cheer about as he one-times a bullet from the point. Hemsky with a nice saucer pass, and Hall get the assists. O'Marra's penalty expired one second earlier, so no PP goal, but Foster's shot looks almost as hard as Sheldon Souray's. I think Foster gets it away quicker than Souray.

• Paajarvi with a great cross-ice pass to Cogliano and he rips it off the cross bar. Those two have had some chemistry from the beginning of camp and I bet Renney will try them in a few exhibition games.

• Foster takes a one-minute roughing penalty on Omark. Earlier in the shift Omark made a sick cross-ice-saucer pass from the right hashmarks to a pinching Petiot.

• Horcoff knocks the bouncing puck faway from Gagner, races in shorthanded and slides a backhand home and team blue leads 2-0. Tom Gilbert must have yelled out, "number 77" to the ref, because he somehow gets an assist on the play.

• Team Blue lighting up Roy in the 3rd, as a great three-way passing play from Hemsky-to-Horcoff-to-Hall, and the first overall pick slides it past a stretched out Roy.

• On this next shift Hall takes a Horcoff pass in full flight down the left side, does a quick little toe drag in front of Whitney and snaps one off Roy's shoulder. Hall has looked more comfortable with every shift. Just like the rookie tournament, and first day of camp he looked nervous at the start, which is understandable considering he is 18, and progressively got better.

•  Final score 3-0. Final shots 23-18 in favour of team blue. Deslaurier stops all 12 shots, while Roy allowed three goals on 11 shots. He didn't allow a soft goal, and really didn't have much of a chance on any of the them.

LINEUP FOR TOMORROW???

The players who will play in Vancouver tomorrow will skate at nine at Rexall Place. Hall will not play in Vancouver, which shouldn't surprise anyone. No way were the Oilers going to let him play his first game v. an NHL team on the road especially when Thursday's game is live on TSN.

I do know that Horcoff will centre Eberle and Giroux tomorrow. Dubnyk and Gerber will be the goalies. We will find out the rest of the lineup tomorrow morning.

Nikolai Khabibulin is close to playing. Right now it seems more mental than physical for him. Renney will see how Khabibulin feels Thursday morning before making a decision on when he plays. He might wait a few more days before putting him in between the pipes.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Ender
September 22 2010, 10:11AM
Bookie wrote:

I would like to recommend that those of you who can't spell player names use the nick names, such as Gags.

Really - I am worried about David's health.

This post is dedicated entirely to acknowledging the genius contained within the skull of Menacer. I hope that more people will recognize this going forward.

#52 Harlie
September 22 2010, 10:23AM

hey Kip Dodry...how you likin me now?

#53 fuck off
September 22 2010, 10:36AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Interesting. I think he proved last year that he has ELITE level hand-eye and deking skills (in tight anyways) and the only real question marks could be conditioning and desire.

Sour Patch completely proved he can be an elite power forward last year. Last night however he proved that he can still play like the Penner from two years ago.... Hell he even was out worked on the puck by Motin! If his compete level doesn't step up to the Penthouse, like last year, he certainly will be wearing horns. Too bad for MacT as he won't be around to anoint DP with the devil's haircut cause I'm sure he'd love to do it in front of a media scrum! Oh wait, he did that already.

#54 fuck off
September 22 2010, 10:41AM
Harlie wrote:

hey Kip Dodry...how you likin me now?

Nice predictions, but it was the Joey Moss Cup, not opening night. With how brutal the P.E.G. line played last night I doubt it'll happen again.

#55 Milli
September 22 2010, 10:49AM

Scary cuz I know it was just a scrimage, but Reddox looked every bit an energy guy who deserves a spot, and Penner, well, he looked slow! Anyone think for some of the established guys, like Penner, they are just going through the motions until real games or at least pre-season games start? I know that dosn't make a whole lot of sense after seeing Horc and Hemmer flying around the ice, but with Penner just made me think that.

#56 Ball Buster
September 22 2010, 10:52AM

Adieu to Roy.

#57 Dallylamma
September 22 2010, 10:58AM

Is Gerber still rocking the Darth Vader mask?

#58 Senator Theo
September 22 2010, 11:01AM

@Ender

I think @Bookie was referring to @David S' correction of @DN:

DN wrote: Saw the game ... Can't say that I like sitting that low.

I thought Gagne was ineffective and Horcoff/Hall was excellent.

I wonder if Hemsky should play with Penner & Gagne ...

We need at least two good lines.

I agree that Reddox played well.

It seemed to me that Whitney was too often in the offensive zone.

#59 Vaclav
September 22 2010, 11:39AM
jr_christ wrote:

I know this is the wrong thread, but after watching last night I am changing my goat and star vote (can you do that???)

Star: Hemsky

Goat: Penner

I HAVE to say Penner because I watched parts of the game on-line and he is SLOW as hell. There is NO way he'll be on the first line with he TERRIBLE hand-eye, lack of deking skills AND questionable atheletic abilities.

30+ goals last year, right? That was last year when he played significant amount of time on the first line powerplay... no WAY he'll see that much PP again this year with all the youthful guns the Oil have now.

So big Dustin had a lackadaisical effort during the team's first scrimmage of the season. Big whoop-dee-doo.

For those of us that actually watched Dustin play last season he has tremendous hand-eye coordination and top-flight skills.

He was also one of the best 5x5 players in the NHL. So even if the kids take some of his PP time he's still likely to crack the 30 goal mark again this season.

#60 DN
September 22 2010, 12:14PM

Sorry about the spelling mistake ... was rushing out the door.

Will not use Gags.

There was a guy who used sit behind me at the hockey game who always referred to Jason Smith as "Gator". There are just some nicknames that only team mates should use.

I agree that Gags may be used in reference to his performance last night. Early goat candidate.

#61 Harlie
September 22 2010, 02:25PM

@fuck off

I guess we'll see what happens opening night and through the year.

I'm still calling for the Triple H line for 1st line duties and the PEG line for 2nd line duties.

We'll see..

#62 GoalieDad
September 22 2010, 03:14PM

Few impressions and I agree with most of Jason's (if not all of them).

Olivier Roy: Felt kinda bad for Roy. Allows all three goals last night, but I don't know that any other goalie would have stopped any of those goals (2 breakaways, including a 2 on 0 and a one-timer by Foster on the PP). In any case, they have no room for him with the club but a nice showing for him this time around.

Other goalies: Dubnyk and Deslauriers both looked impressive, JDD probably got to strut his stuff more than Dubie. They both looked quick in warmup and seemed very comfortable. I think JDD will make this battle very interesting. Gerber was pretty good, but not as good as the other two.

Everybody talks about how all the competition for this camp are happening with the forwards, but to me it's the back end where things are more interesting. I'm concerned about our 5-6 D-Men spots. Nobody really stood out, which is disappointing. Peckham looked exactly like he did a year ago, Chorney didn't look as good as he did last year, Plante, Petiot, Petry, Potin, Belle and Vandermeer all looked about the same (which does not say much 'cause they were all average).

Having said all this, tough to read too much into a game like last night's so we shall see what the next 3 nights bring in the way of answers to some of these questions.

#64 RossCreekNation
September 22 2010, 04:07PM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

i dont think so tim.

i watched preseason hockey last night on the old optik color television system..

stupid flames

How so?

I watched the Flames game on SHAW cable, ch. 320 (the Sportsnet One "companion channel" as Sportsnet One - ch. 159 was showing baseball). Kent Wilson, of FlamesNation fame, could not watch the game because he has Telus TV and Telus does not yet carry the "companion channel" (they will as of Sept. 28 according to Allan Watt via The Jason Gregor Show). So how did YOU watch it, almighty cableguy? Huh?

*Awaits response*

#65 Evilstu
September 22 2010, 04:45PM
jayoilfan wrote:

evilstu

you are in luck! Telus TV has it on Channels 106 (sd) and 677 (hd) There is a FAQ on their website about it. For now it is a 'free trial'. I was watching some Jay's baseball stuff last night on it. Telus says it is going to package it with one of their sports groupings but they didn't say which one, I sincerely hope they don't put it witht he 'top up' sports group as I don't have that one. I just have the regular sport group.

Finally some almost real hockey!! I saw the streaming feed on the Oilers website for the flames vs oilers rookies which was interesting but now we get to see what the team might look like.

Thanks Buddy!