POST GAME: MY NAME IS MAGNUS...

Jason Gregor
September 23 2010 10:17PM

I guess the coaching staff was more nervous than all the rookies prior to the game, because they filled out the starting lineup wrong so Dustin Penner lined up in place of Ales Hemsky along with Sam Gagner and Taylor Hall. Luckily for Oiler fans, it wasn't a sign of how the game would go.

Taylor Hall almost had the story book start when on his second shift he flew down the left side and ripped one off the far post. And immediately some fans had visions of Mark Messier flying down the wing and letting one fly. Hall had another great chance in the first on a nifty pass from Gagner, but the fans didn't have to wait too long until he lit the lamp.

One game doesn't make a career, or even a year, but Magnus Paajarvi had a great preseason debut with a highlight reel goal to tie the game at one. His goal would have had Dan Ellis tweeting, " I'm more worried about my fivehole now than I was in college." He then started a nice tic-tac-goal that went Paajarvi-Foster-to-Cogliano. Then he ripped a one-timer from Dustin Penner for his 2nd goal of the night and the game wasn't even 27 minutes old. He wasn't finished.

FIRST PERIOD NOTES

• After watching Ryan Whitney put on a passing display in Vancouver, Tom Gilbert wasn't able to match it. He missed Kurtis Foster coming out of the penalty box, and looked a bit rusty passing the puck. He will get better.

• Tom Renney wants to see if guys like Hemsky, Gagner and Cogliano can kill penalties. I suspect Cogliano, Horcoff, Fraser, Penner and either Reddox/Jones will be the top five penalty killers.

• Good to see Marc Pouliot is the same player. Gets knocked off the puck, falls down at his blueline and the Oilers get a two-on-one.

• Colin Fraser had a solid first period with a hit, good scoring chance and was strong on the PK, however, he was 0-4 in the faceoff dot. He will need to be much better in that area. As a team the Oilers were 42% in the draw, got out shot 14-11, but they out hit the Bolts 10-4.

• Linus Omark's release is lightning fast. He doesn't shy away from contact, is creative and if he can control the puck a bit better along the boards he'll be a factor for this organization at some point.

• Tyler Pitlick didn't look out of place. The kid will benefit from a year in junior, but he likes to hit and once he fills out a bit more he could be that big, strong centre the Oilers have lacked since the days of Jason Arnott.

Ran into former Oiler dressing room icon, Barry Stafford, up in the pressbox in the first intermission. "I've never watched a game from up here in 29 years. I see why you guys think the game is so easy from up here, the mistakes really stand out," he laughed. Stafford is really enjoying his new role with the Oilers. He has been in charge of setting up the dressing room in OKC since January. He will make sure that is one of the best dressing rooms, and most efficient, in the AHL. Good to see he is doing well and is happy.

SECOND PERIOD NOTES

•   I'm sick of all the scrums. Either drop the gloves or stop all the lame pushing and shoving.

• Smid and Foster are a decent pair. Foster isn't that physical but his wingspan makes him hard to beat wide and Smid never shies away from a hit. Smid has played 4:20 on the PP. He played all of 8:42 on the PP last year.

• OKC will have a very good defence core. Richard Petiot and Alex Plante played well. I wonder if Bob Stauffer thinks Petiot has as much upside as Shawn Belle? Belle has played well, but Petiot has been great so far.

• Paajarvi's 2nd goal was a great shot. I think Penner's passing skills are underrated, especially for a big man.

• Devan Dubnyk stopped 19 of 20 shots and was solid throughout. He had no chance on Randy Jones' first period goal. Rebounded nicely after an average night in Vancouver yesterday.

• Jeff Deslauriers comes in and only faced two shots in 10:31. I'm sure he'd like to get a bit more rubber.

• It is only 40 minutes, but Cogliano is 0-4 in the dot. The rest of his game has been good, and he seems to have more confidence with the puck, but he has to improve his faceoffs. ***I know, thanks Captain Obvious***

• Omark and Pitlick have only played 5:08 and 4:10 respectively, but they've been noticeable.

THIRD PERIOD NOTES

• Smid and Steve Downie mix it up early and get roughing penalties. They kept yapping at each other in the sin bin for another minute afterwards. I hope something more comes from it later this period.

• There were some sloppy line changes. The Oilers could have been whistled for too many men at least twice this period.

• If you get on the Smooch Cam don't pretend you are a Hollywood actor or actress. Big open mouth kisses aren't good for anyone to watch on the Cam.

• Two minutes after the Oilers get away with some sloppy changes the Lightning get busted for too many men.

• At 7:58 of the 3rd period the crowd erupts when Hall knocks down a horrible clearing attempt by Ellis, walks in and softly backhands one into an empty net. It is clear the crowd is in love with Hall. The roar for his goal was twice as loud as Paajarvi's. I wonder if that will even out long term. Both kids look to be pretty special.

• I wonder if Ellis is more worried about his fivehole or his puckhandling skills now. To bad he quit twitter.

• Well I guess I got my answer regarding the fans. Two minutes later, while shorthanded, Paajarvi skates down the right side and rips one far side past Ellis. He has a PP, SH and EV goal now. I guess it might be too much to ask for him to get a penalty shot goal and empty netter to match Mario Lemieux's five different type of goals in a game. When they announced his hat trick goal the roar was just as loud as Hall's, or maybe louder.

• Stu "The Magnificent Bastard" MacGregor has to be fist pumping somewhere. His last two first found picks, along with Pitlick and Omark all looked good tonight.

• The entire building held their breath as 6'8", 246 Vladimir Mihalik had Hall lined up against the boards. You could hear the Oiler bench yell, "Heads up," and Hall was able to avoid a solid collision. As the play continued Renney sent MacIntyre out. MacIntyre charged Blair Jones after the whistle and then punched him in the face. The game is 5-1, and Renney won't be mad about a double minor at that point. MacIntyre made his point.

•  Carter Ashton, son of former NHL suitcase, Brent Ashton, bangs home a PP goal from a sharp angle late in the 3rd. Not much Deslauriers could do. Ashton had three whacks at it before finally sliding it home.

It was a fun night for Oiler fans, and even though it was only a preseason game, even the most pessimistic fan must have had a smile on their face. The announced three stars were Dubnyk (3rd), Hall (2nd) and Paajarvi (1st). I understand why they choose Hall, because that is who the fans wanted, but he probably wasnt' the 2nd best player tonight.

Penner had a solid game, and made some great passes, but I thought Petiot was exceptional on the blueline. He had a big hit, wasn't afraid to shoot and moved the puck very well.

Cogliano finished 0-9 in the dot tonight. He played well, but he will need to focus more in the dot. It was preseason, and maybe he was trying some new things, but he has to be better. As a team the Oilers were only 39%. Gilbert Brule was the best Oiler going 4-1. If Brule plays on Cogliano's wing then maybe he can take the faceoffs?

The Oilers will have two practices tomorrow. The guys who played in Vancouver will practice at 9:15, and tonight's group will hit the ice at 11:15. Expect Renney to make some cuts after practice or first thing Saturday morning.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#101 Crash
September 24 2010, 12:22PM

Just listened to an interview with Rob Brown on Oilers lunch. He mentioned that for vets that already know their place in the roster these exhibition games are more for just shaking off the rust.

Expect the energy level and compete level for the young players to be higher than the established vets.

Brown asked the question. Do you want your vets such as Hemsky and Penner going all out in these preseason games, maybe even getting injured before the season begins? Or burning themselves out now?

Or would you rather have them bring it once the season starts?

#102 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
September 24 2010, 12:22PM
Ross C wrote:

Just refer to him as PRV.

And so it was written.

He's prefers it to be pronounced Pay-Yar-Vee *compliments of Nielson* hxxp://www.theteam1260.com/blog/nielson/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10143541

I second Ultra Magnus.

#103 RossCreekNation
September 24 2010, 12:40PM

Sportsnet's Jamie Thomas says no cuts coming today (aside from Pitlick).

#104 RossCreekNation
September 24 2010, 12:43PM

Kudos to Gregor. Tune in to Off The Record today...

JasonGregor: Will be on Off The Record with Michael Lansberg today. Hall and Paajarvi creating a buzz across the nation it seems.

#105 Dustin
September 24 2010, 12:48PM

The name of the post is "my name is Magnus". Here's an idea, let's call him Magnus.

#106 I'm a Scientist!
September 24 2010, 12:52PM
The Fish wrote:

Best idea ever proposed on this site. That asterisk BS could not be any more annoying and also, quite lame.

Really? Better than the time somebody proposed raising money to send Gregor to the Draft?

*types an astrisk* *

#107 Dan the Man
September 24 2010, 12:57PM
Dustin wrote:

That'll never catch on.

#108 Bucknuck
September 24 2010, 01:15PM

I like "Magnus" just fine as it is a very cool name all by itself.

If we have to "come up with something", then how about "the Magus". It is another word for a magician, though that might be more applicable to Hemsky than my man, Magnus.

#109 Senator Theo
September 24 2010, 01:27PM

@Bucknuck

The Magnus Man, as a nod to fellow swede Kent Nilsson?

*tries to forget Kent's son*

#110 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
September 24 2010, 01:50PM

@Senator Theo

I really hope someone photoshops Paajarvi's head on mega-man now.

#111 The Fish
September 24 2010, 01:50PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

*types an astrisk* *

100 x better.

#112 Ender
September 24 2010, 02:04PM

rubbertrout wrote:

I think Magnus PI is the correct moniker to go with. I can hardly wait for the photoshop extraordinare that Bingo, Wanye and Towelboy [or Ender] are likely putting together as I type this.

Done. Gotta be Magnus PI, crew.

Ze masterpiece, she is brilliant!

#113 David S
September 24 2010, 02:14PM
The Fish wrote:

*Rolls eyes. Raises palm to face in salutation.*

#114 Stortini for Mayor
September 24 2010, 02:14PM

Watched the highlights this morning. Had a little tear in the corner of my eye watching Hall score his goal - damn kids grow up so fast! (I can be a bit of a heart-on-my-sleeve kind of gal but, good grief Charlie Brown, the amount this team makes me tear up is ridiculous.)

To add my two cents...

Star: Stortini - obviously not an "I score craploads and make amazing plays" kind of star, but I think he's due some payoff from his hard work. Dare I say, he even deserves an A?

Goat: Smid - purely because I think he is the most jinxed Oiler ever - if there is a bad bounce, a wacky penalty, or a rebound off a skate, you can guarantee Smid is involved - does nobody else notice this?

And cause it's my first post, thanks to all for the write-ups and comments. I am constantly amazed at the wit and hockey smarts (and occasionally the idiocy ;) ) displayed at this site. (And I like the *'s.)

There you go, the opinions of an anonymous stranger you've never heard from before...complete gold I'm sure.

#115 Backhand
September 24 2010, 02:22PM
Ross C wrote:

Just refer to him as PRV.

And so it was written.

Sorry to burst your bubble:

3/4 the way down....and so it was *already* written

#116 Ender
September 24 2010, 02:26PM

@Stortini for Mayor

A big Welcome to the Nation. Watch out for the Tiger under the glass; he bites. Don't feed the Ogdens. Keep your tildes and hyperlinks inside the ride at all times.

Did I miss anything, crew?

#117 I'm a Scientist!
September 24 2010, 02:40PM
Ender wrote:

rubbertrout wrote:

Done. Gotta be Magnus PI, crew.

Ze masterpiece, she is brilliant!

I agree that if we have a nickname for him, it HAS to be Magnus P.I.

I hope you included a moustache in your masterpiece!

#118 I'm a Scientist!
September 24 2010, 02:43PM

@Stortini for Mayor

I like the cut of your jib for two reasons...and two reasons only:

1) You picked Stortini as your star. I agree and have him atop my christmas tree as well.

2) You like the *'s.

Thank you anonymous stranger, please post more often.

#119 Ender
September 24 2010, 02:53PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

I agree that if we have a nickname for him, it HAS to be Magnus P.I.

I hope you included a moustache in your masterpiece!

You know, I tried? The problem is, he looks so much like a young Tom Selleck, when you put the moustache in it just looks like you didn't do anything at all; it's just Tom Selleck again with a few less wrinkles around the eyes.

Trust me, though; it looks great even without the moustache.

#120 ubermiguel
September 24 2010, 03:19PM
Stortini for Mayor wrote:

To add my two cents...

RE Smid: Noticed he was on the ice for both goals against and made errors that contributed. Like on the second goal he was using trying to use his stick too much to tie up the puck, needed to get his body between the Lightning player and the puck.

But I also noticed him defending team mates and being generally physical.

#121 Jason
September 24 2010, 03:32PM

Gregor.....

How do we get the arena to use some specific music for some players after they score?

I keep thinking about that Swedish Regae song that Magnus enjoyed so much but i forget what its called. That would get the crowd rockin.

#122 Mason Storm
September 24 2010, 04:12PM

If we are going with Magnus PI. Who is Higgins and who the hell is flying the helicopter?

#123 TigerUnderGlass
September 24 2010, 04:37PM
Ender wrote:

Did I miss anything, crew?

Only when you ask me to.

#124 rubbertrout
September 24 2010, 05:09PM
Ender wrote:

rubbertrout wrote:

Done. Gotta be Magnus PI, crew.

Ze masterpiece, she is brilliant!

I'm wetting my pants in anticipation. How glorious will this moustache be?

#125 rubbertrout
September 24 2010, 05:11PM
Ender wrote:

Trust me, though; it looks great even without the moustache.

The moustache is non-negotiable.

*still wetting my pants in anticipation*

#126 Ender
September 24 2010, 06:01PM

@rubbertrout

Masterpiece is here.

#127 Phil
September 24 2010, 06:04PM

Nicely done on OTR today Jason, top notch as always.

ain't nobody planning a parade route tho pal, unless they're mongoloids or simpletons

#128 Phil
September 24 2010, 07:20PM

I like how everytime I p0ast it's an absolute thread killer.

#129 rubbertrout
September 24 2010, 07:23PM
Ender wrote:

Masterpiece is here.

Masterpiece is right. Wanye and Bingo better get that up on the next MPS article. Even without the moustache I'm sitting in my own urine*

*in a good way I mean*

EDIT: I really want to be able to give you more props for that.

#130 Cervantes
September 24 2010, 07:46PM

Every time Magnus scores, I'm starting a "Calder... Calder... Calder..." chant.

#131 David S