UPDATED: LOWE-DOWN ON BRADY SPECULATION

Robin Brownlee
October 04 2011 10:22PM

For now, file this one under unsubstantiated speculation, but there's a suggestion circulating out in the Twitter-verse that Kevin Lowe could at some point return as GM of the Edmonton Oilers.

A person listed on Twitter as Greg Brady -- @bradyfan590Toronto -- who has in excess of 7,600 followers, has put the possibility of a return to the GM's chair by Lowe -- with the blessing and backing of owner Daryl Katz -- out there in several tweets tonight.

Here's what Brady -- the link is here twitter.com/#!/bradyfan590 -- has offered via Twitter in seven different tweets over the last couple of hours (as of 10 p.m.):

THE BUZZ

-- "Would I bet it happens, yes? Could it take upwards of 24 months? Oh yeah. Lowe's only 52. He'll be back."

-- "I think he still has a daughter he wants to see thru finishing HS...after that, empty nest..back at it!"

-- "Also totally logical...he wanted to see his kid, Keegan, play a lot more..now he's been drafted."

-- "who's the blogger? Whoever is Katz's buddy/henchman is talking a lot with KEvin about a timeframe."

-- "Hugely so....Lowe moved upstairs because he was working himself bonkers, & kids needed him around more. STRONG source."

-- "Katz pushing Lowe behind the scenes...not sure Lowe will commit. HIS decisions weren't best, either."

-- "Well, they cannot be 30th again. Kevin Lowe's getting pressed by Katz to come back as GM. For now, no."

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED?

Corey Graham of TEAM 1260 in Edmonton mentioned this on the air tonight, so it's out there in this market, aside from circulating in the Twitter community. I've got no information at this point to substantiate or disprove anything Brady is suggesting, but it's likely worth sniffing around on.

Might Lowe, now Edmonton's president of hockey operations, be interested in a return to his old job after a respite from the glare of the spotlight? Maybe, especially if the boss is pushing it. Is it possible Steve Tambellini's future as GM is in doubt if the Oilers don't show substantial improvement this season? Absolutely. This might shape up as a case of, as Lowe likes to say, "Expect the unexpected."

Stay tuned.

UPDATE

Greg Brady took the time write about his tweets regarding Lowe and reaction to it in his blog at FAN 590 today. You can find that here: blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/fan590_gregbrady/2011/10/05/nothing-pending-with-oils/

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#151 Romulus' Apotheosis
October 05 2011, 03:15PM

@Archaeologyguy thanks and back at you

aside from these rumors... any rumors on Tambi lurking hockey backwaters trying to find that illusive diamond in the rough d-man? it's been several days since the fedunsmidapocalypse... crickets...?

#152 D-Man
October 05 2011, 03:19PM
FastOil wrote:

I can't see Tambi being in trouble yet. This year is critical however, and if by start next season things aren't tidied up on the roster, then let the lynch mob be formed.

He has a lot of house cleaning to do, a few key veterans to sign, and has to find a home for an old goalie. Also can't keep Belanger, Horcoff, Gagner, Lander and RNH. Smart move would be to lose a vet.

I agree - he's not in trouble - yet... If we haven't shown any improvement, ie nothing worse than a 26th/27th overall finish - he needs to be replaced...

His biggest priority is to shore up the blueline... When Gagner is healthy, Lander is in OKC - there's no emergency up front... However, even with a healthy Whitney - we're still short a bonafide #2/#3 d-man... Barker hasn't been stellar in the preseason and Gilbert is a #4 at best... That's where his attention should be...

In regards to finding a home for Khabby - his home is Edmonton for the next two years whether we like it or not... He's too old that we can't buy him out and Danis is a plug in OKC... Roy and Bunz won't be into the mix for at least another two-three years... Khabby will be an expensive caddy for Dubnyk - unless Tambo can find a taker in a trade (which is a pipe dream at best)...

#153 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 05 2011, 03:27PM
Count Grishnack wrote:

No but that is the same things as saying that the rumor is not true

sarcasm?

#154 Count Grishnack
October 05 2011, 03:44PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Count: George Parros mentioned to me once he had a classmate at Princeton named "Grishnack." Was that you?

no,holy cow some is named Grishnack.Wicked

#155 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 05 2011, 03:50PM

@Robin Brownlee

You sure are subtle with that rapist wit, Robin.

#156 Count Grishnack
October 05 2011, 04:02PM
Max Powers - Team HME Evans wrote:

You sure are subtle with that rapist wit, Robin.

:? that was suppose to be sarcasm by robin.

#157 Wanyes bastard child
October 05 2011, 04:55PM

I should have saved a facepalm for this ^ :(

#158 michael
October 05 2011, 05:22PM

Twitter/Twaddle/ twit/ stupid/dumb/dumber. Stick to reporting the truth not innuedo and heresay. Twitter is full of wannabe's and neverwas's who think that thier importance is mores because someone "follows"them. Get a life and live in the real world where the real people who make decsions live. twitter. good land the humanity.

#159 David S
October 05 2011, 05:48PM

At least now Tambellini knows how Andrew Cogliano felt.

#Unwanted

#160 OilFan
October 05 2011, 06:08PM

Sounds like another radio guy making rumors up lol. Toronto media to boot.

#161 Count Grishnack
October 05 2011, 07:11PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

I should have saved a facepalm for this ^ :(

Facepalm me fine,I suck at that sadly.

#162 Mitch
October 05 2011, 07:16PM

I do feel there is truth to this story because alot can happen in 2 yrs time. S.T. is just getting things on track so I would like to see him get at least 1-2 more yrs. I don't feel Lowe is a good fit for the G.M's chair, put way to much value in marginal players at best. Klowe let Pronger go for nothing and I do feel Pronger would have played here until the correct deal was made, all things aside Pronger was a pro.

I dont like how the Penner thing was handled on all aspects.

I do feel Kevin would be a good if not great coach thats what he started as the guy is competitive as hell and I do think there could be something there.

Kevin is a loyal guy a true oiler not a good GM though.

#163 Mitch
October 05 2011, 07:16PM

I dont like how the Penner thing was handled on all aspects.

Kevin is a loyal guy a true oiler not a good GM though.

#164 Count Grishnack
October 05 2011, 07:17PM
michael wrote:

Well,hey but not all people on twitter are bad,Daren Dregger and BoB mckenzie has twitter and stuff.

I think the league needs to have a twitter media policies were the reports have to have a journalism degree and he have to give out their sources.

#165 Count Grishnack
October 05 2011, 07:19PM

@Mitch

shut up.KLOWE IS GOD.

KIDDING.AGING THIS RUMOR IS NOT TRUE.

#166 justwondering
October 05 2011, 10:33PM

You know since the city of Edmonton, can not seem to see that they need an arena, and it's citizens would sooner donate there tax money to Northlands, and don't see the value of the Oiler's in Edmonton in the first place. Quebec is building an Arena... Kevin Lowe is from Quebec, need I say more? justwondering...

#167 Small town dreams
October 05 2011, 11:21PM

I'm not sure why we so fast to punt Steve when we are just starting to see the end of dark tunnel Kblow dug this team into. He wasn't the man for the job when he stepped down nor is he the man to take over now. I will be disappointed if Katz allows/makes this decision. How do you move forward by going backwards? IMO

#168 Darryl
October 06 2011, 12:17AM

I have no idea if this is true, but if I was Katz, I would be thinking I need to get some mojo going so the excitement leads to an arena being built. Right now, there is little mojo helping Daryl K.

Tambo is well known for being overly cautious. And if you are sitting in the big seat with the Oil, you might think the same way. Kevin is not know for being cautious....but a risk taker. So that fits - Kevin might be grinding his teeth in frustration.

But Gawd help me, Kevin was the worst financial manager we ever had in Edmonton. Tambo had to clean up the mess. Even the American media picked up on it with money vrs. performance calculations. Kevin as GM was dead last.

McTavish now has an MBA, doesn't he? He would be a better fit even.

#169 ricky p
October 06 2011, 08:19AM

Tambo was in trouble two years ago. Bye, bye Mr. Dithers. Will trade Hemsky and Smyth for draft picks before he goes. I hear he is assessing his options. That could take 24 months.

#170 VK63
October 06 2011, 11:06AM

Hey Robin as idle speculation goes...

What do you think Mike Babcocks "next" job will be in this game. With Mikes hiring of long time protege Bill Peters as an assistant this year it occurred to me that Mike might be casting a wee gaze over the fence.

Hes a western boy through and through and has strong ties to etown and alberta in general.

Could the Oiler organization handle that big of a personality (Babcock) at the helm? And as an extension of that query, is Katz set of stones big enough to entertain hiring a guy with as much current street cred as MB would haul in here.