OMARK GOING TO OKC

Jason Gregor
November 01 2011 06:09PM

Linus Omark has been sent down to OKC. He does have an out-clause in his contract to go to Sweden, but he will report to the AHL. It is a smart move on his part. He wants to play in the NHL, and staying in North America makes the most sense for him.

He doesn't have to clear waivers, so if he plays well the Oilers can recall him without worrying about losing him on re-entry waivers. He needs to play and he is better off playing in the AHL than eating popcorn in an NHL pressbox.

The Oilers will also recall Colten Teubert with Cam Barker still questionable. Tom Renney said today he wasn't sure when they would call up Teubert, but it sounds like he will join them sooner than later.

Smart move by the Oilers and Omark to go to OKC. He'll get lots of icetime under Todd Nelson and if he can find some consistency I think he'll find himself back in the NHL.

Omark will join the team in Abbotsford and likely play Thursday and Saturday. If the Oilers announced the demotion today he would have had to fly to OKC today and join the team. However, since OKC is flying out to Abbotsford tomorrow, they can wait and announce it tomorrow and then he can join them in Abbotsford.

Strange rule, but that is why the Oilers won't announce his re-assignment until tomorrow.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 The Real Scuba Steve
November 01 2011, 06:08PM

Fist to say Omark has always been a slow starter. He should stay.

#2 WTF
November 02 2011, 09:54AM

Too funny to go to Flames nation and see the "blow it up" comments.

#3 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
November 02 2011, 09:24AM

What's with all the Ryan Jones hate? I've read many comments that suggest that they would be happier to see Jones come out instead of Omark.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? When it comes to skill there is no comparison, but when it comes to what matters, results, then Jones is leading by a country mile. He's 1/3 of the Oilers most successful line - They're doing the heavy lifting on offense and defense.

They're not even close to comparable. Jones is bringing to the table something the Oil need, and he's doing it well.

Hearing people say they'd rather someone else come out of the lineup other than Omark is cool and all, but when people start suggesting taking out one of the best players so far and replacing him with someone who's been a HS 5 games in a row... well those people watch too much youtube and have a man crush on Omark that rivals mine on Renney.

#4 closetgm
November 02 2011, 09:47AM

Nobody seems to get it. He is going down because he is so close to 60 games that the Oilers are afraid to lose him on waivers if they have to send him down later in the season. They want to get him some playing time but two or three games before he hits 60 is not enough to see if he fits here long term. He will go to the AHL and rip it up. Then the oilers have a hard decision ahead of them, keep him and play him in the NHL or trade him. There is no doubt that Omark has NHL skill, but his defensive game is what needs to be worked on. IMO that is why he is being sent down. I would love to see him play more in the NHL too, but that is not going to happen at this time. If the 60 game rule was not in effect i think we would have seen Omark play more this season. The Oilers are handling this properly even if the fans and Omark dont agree.

#5 Matt Henderson
November 02 2011, 11:21AM
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

So what is your take on the fact that Gagner has been plugged into precisely the same role Omark was supposed to play and has had the same results?

Unlike Omark, Gagner actually registered a point this season, albeit only one.

To many people's eyes he has looked better with each passing game.

He is coming off of a high ankle sprain after just 4 weeks of rest for an injury that many say takes 6 weeks to heal.

He has a much longer track record of success in the NHL that can be traced back all the way to his draft pedigree and followed him until last season when he was the team's most productive C.

The same coach that has deemed Omark an AHL player 2 years running has likened Gagner to Doug Gilmour. So it stands to reason that Gagner has a little more rope than Omark.

#7 shiva
November 01 2011, 07:15PM

I guess this is a good thing. Time to get my tickets for the game here in Abbotsford Saturday. :)

Looking so forward to watching Harki and Omark.

#8 Tayranchula
November 01 2011, 07:42PM

I hope Tuebert plays against LA. If so I hope he rocks someone and scores a point. I really like how the Oil are keeping Plante's confidence up by calling him up getting him into a game and sending him down and now giving Teubert his NHL debut. The things I notice about good teams in the NHL is they have players on the farm team that come up and play and not stand out like rookies. Hartikinen will get a call up if a bottom 6 player goes down and if a top 6 player goes down Omark will get called up. I like the flexibility the Oilers have with call ups now.

Sutton suspension was a joke, 2 games at most would have been enough. Wasnt hurt on the play, player is 6 inches shorter and it wasnt even vicisious. Im getting really sick of the NHL and how pussified it is becoming. I miss the old days when a player would single out the opposing teams best player and then have to answer for it.

Also all the crap with the visors just irratates me. These are grown men we are talking about. I had to make decisions on my life when I was 16 Im pretty sure a 15 year vet can make a decision if he wants to wear protection or not. Every league other than the NHL has to wear visors so sooner or later it will just be apart of the league, stop trying to mandate it NHL its annoying as heck

#9 Coco Crisp
November 01 2011, 07:47PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *SADFACE*

#10 The Beaker
November 01 2011, 09:11PM

@Wanyes Bastard Child

lol, never said it was a good or a bad thing. But for better or worse thats the face... avatar... he's stuck with. .... Oh wait.

#11 Eulers
November 01 2011, 11:34PM

Sending good players down from a healthy roster with depth & role players instead of grabbing whoever you can get from the farm to replace gaping holes in an injury depleted lineup--WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????????

#12 David S
November 02 2011, 12:23AM
Eulers wrote:

Don't worry. Teubert will re-validate your point of view.

#15 BGH - Team Squee
November 02 2011, 09:52AM

As I said in the poll comments, leave the Kids line alone and please for the sake of all that is holy, leave the Horc line alone as well. Those 2 lines are working so don't mess with them.

To those who are saying that the kids have played poorly on the road, lets remember we have only had 2 road games so far this year and Hall didn't play in Calgary. So IMNSHO, 1 game is not enough to say they play badly on the road.

As for Hemsky,play him with Gagner and MPS. Our need on this team right now is secondary scoring.

Omark and Lander going down for 40 games will not be the end of their world or careers. It gives us time to evaluate Hemsky and gagner and see if there is any chemstry between them and MPS.

This season is not about challenging. It is about figuring out what we got and plugging holes via trades at the deadline this year.

#16 @Oilanderp
November 02 2011, 09:56AM

I am excited by this move. It points to the organizational depth that has been slowly but surely compiled over the last few years. Every winning organization has young and probable 'NHL-ready' players playing on their AHL affiliate. This is a good move for Omark, and a good position for the organization to be in.

Things have changed. Put your time in, work hard, get results, and you should be rewarded with some time in Oiler silks.

This is a far cry from recent years where guys were just given their job since they had noone else.

Arrows are pointing in the right direction, and rip it up, Omark.

#17 TigerUnderGlass
November 02 2011, 09:58AM

@Max Powers - Team HME Evans

This is like claiming Ringo Star was 1/4 of the reason for the Beatles' success.

So far I have seen zero reason to believe that Omark couldn't or wouldn't be more successful than Jones given the same spot with the Smyth line.

Everyone is so quick to claim Omark isn't playing defense but the same people are happy watching Jones run around in his own zone with his head cut off, it's absurd. I will never understand how a guy can look competent on the PK but lost at evens, but Jones is living proof.

What is it that Jones brings to the table that is so necessary? He can PK from the 4th line like Petrell. Does everyone just like how he tries so hard that he can't stand up all the time?

...one of the best players so far

I fear greatly for this team if this is true.

and replacing him with someone who's been a HS 5 games in a row.

The fact that Renney sat someone is not proof that Renney was right to sit them.

Finally, enough with the youtube comments. It's absurd and has nothing to do with anything.

#18 BGH - Team SQUEEE
November 02 2011, 10:02AM

@Tigerunderglass

- agreed on the youtube comments being irrelevant

- Don't forget as people get healthy, we need to send people down. Why risk someone to waivers when we can send omark down for seasoning and play time while we sort out the remaining players and line combinations

Lastly, why change the second line for the sake of change. It is working so leave it alone. When it stops working (and not just for 1 or 2 games, but an extended period) that while be the time to change things.

Sometimes the best thing a coach can do is not tinker and stay out of his own way and let the players play.

#19 Dipstick
November 02 2011, 10:05AM

This is one situation where I agree with Tambo's lengthy assessments. They need time to see if Hemsky's latest injury problems are likely to be chronic and if Gagner is going to finally develop into the player that they thought they had a few years ago. Once they have figured that out they will know which of those two and Omark are expendable. They are not perfectly interchangeable, but they can't all exist on the same roster with the pieces that are already there.

#20 Matt Henderson
November 02 2011, 10:06AM
mayorpoop wrote:

it's clear objectivity is long past you on this topic so i won't waste much time talking about this with you.

he was as consistent as whom else this year? MPS, Gagner (same number of games so far). they aren't sitting/on a bus any where best i can tell.

i don't disagree he was the likely choice to go down. he isn't only your goat me thinks. *cough* Renney.

he didn't fit in the plan now he rides a bus. whatever. moving on.

Is it truly that difficult to believe that it isnt just his lack of offense that is keeping Omark out of the lineup?

I know I like to get all over Omark at every chance that I get, but I'm not making up his poor play at the Oiler end of the rink. He isnt very good.

I dont know the exact reasons Renney doesnt play him over others, but the same choice was made last season too. He wasnt trusted then and he isnt trusted now.

He is a replacement player in the NHL 2 years running despite being given an extended look at the NHL level (50+ games). RNH takes his spot on the PP and does it much better, and players like Gagner, MPS, and Belanger either bring more to the table than their offense or have a more proven track record of providing the offense that Omark wasnt bringing.

But I guess poor little Omark didnt get a fair shake.

#22 Matt Henderson
November 02 2011, 12:00PM

@TigerUnderGlass

Gagner's point was on Cam Barker's goal. He made the pass to an open Barker who came in and made a nice move. Not a spectacular pass, but one that directly lead to the goal.

Being fit enough to pass a test and 100% health are not the same thing. He missed the end of last season, had surgery, played in an exhibition game, was out for a month, then came back into Regular season hockey. Are you suggesting that is a schedule that should have kept any rust off? As for the fitness test, it isnt a test for 100% health, it's to see if they can handle playing at a decent level.

There isnt any issue at all with spotting a vet who has an established level of play a few games after returning from such a long time away from hockey. He can put up very few points but still have the trust from the coach that the points will be there eventually.

I hardly think Omark has the same excuses as Gagner, but, even if you did eliminate all of the reasonable factors that go into a slow start from Gagner, then it certainly isnt proof that Omark has no blame for failing to produce.

#23 Matt Henderson
November 02 2011, 12:42PM

@DieHard

Agreed. I think the time for acquiring picks as the primary return for trades is over. Live bodies from here on out. Prospects are fine, but I suspect that when Tambellini gets offered a first his next question is "And?"

#24 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
November 02 2011, 12:56PM

@TigerUnderGlass

Ok. So all I got from our back and forth here is that:

a) You disagree with my initial post, and b) You're a total dink

Right on. Thanks for the riveting discussion!

Edit: I see you edited your last post to exclude the demeaning comment

#25 A-Mc
November 02 2011, 01:26PM
SLURVE wrote:

To add to my previous comment about keeping Omark with MPS on the second unit pp, we were not more than 5 games or so in to the season when Omark began to sit out 5 straight. How in that short of time and given how productive he was last year can a guy suddenly be out. Especially so when Lander just arrived, he was supposed to be in the OKC. Jones IMO has a longer leash. Gagner although injured at the start of the season and since coming back has not been lights out either. Some coaches have their favorite players and some just do not have chemistry with certain players.

I Honestly think Omark is a victim of the 60 games rule.

I like Omark, but he's on the fence at the moment; meaning he doesn't have a solid spot because they Couldn't afford to give him the Game time to adjust and fit in while still keeping him under the 60 game limit.

The only real way he would have broke free of this situation, IMO, is if he came out like RNH and wowed offensively for a bit.

#26 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 02 2011, 01:40PM
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

FFS read the conversation please.

I did, conclusion is that you are somehow related to Linus Omark.

#27 chris
November 02 2011, 01:58PM
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

I see. So I say I disagree with Renney and your response is that Renney disagrees with me? Thank you for the news flash.

Tiger - I think the point was that Renney knows more than you do about hockey, and certainly more about the chemistry and team dynamics inside the room. Maybe I disagree and should send your resume to info@edmontonoilers.com

#28 Matt Henderson
November 02 2011, 02:15PM

@Kodiak

I sure hope he starts up soon. He's a notoriously slow starter and I think he's looked better each game he plays. The emergence of RNH and the good health of Horcoff have certainly changed the lay of the land.

I still think that he can fit in long term as the 2C when Horcoff becomes less reliable offensively. However, the old balls are playing like it's 2006 out there, so I agree with you that Gagner will be in tough to get the minutes.

I think he finishes with over 40 again though. If Gregor is right about a 91-89-83 line then I see the points starting to come again.

#29 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 02 2011, 02:21PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

I can see how people see Gagner as expendable with RNH here and Horc (and a lesser extent Belanger) playing excellent hockey. I can see how it looks like he doesn't fit with the team anymore.

But it's pretty poor long term planning if we are banking on two guys creeping up on 35 to provide secondary scoring for much longer.... especially when I've been told for years that Horc is a 3rd... or even 4th liner at best by 90% of the site.

#30 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 02 2011, 03:02PM
Kodiak wrote:

I have to agree that he has looked better the last game or two. I was actually impressed with the jump he had before the ankle issue but when he came back it was like he was skating in quicksand. He's starting to get some flow back in his stride again.

We will see if and how he plays with Hemsky. I really haven't seen a lot of chemistry between those two in the past. If Gagner struggles on the dot they may be playing without the puck quite a bit as I don't see them being real strong puck retrieval players. Only time will tell. Having a 3rd line scoring would really pick up this team and take some pressure off the kids, especially on the road, so I hope they can produce.

Obviously I'd prefer higher FO% to lower FO%.... whowever most people blow FO ability way out of proportion.

A guy like Gagner is going to take 10 - 12 FO per game.... so the difference between him at 40% vs 50% is really only +/- one win per game.

Is that really going to make that big of a difference?

#31 David S
November 02 2011, 03:41PM

A couple of things. People thinking Belanger is "playing excellent hockey"are a bit off the mark. Other than his FO prowess, if anything he's been a boat anchor for PRV and Gagner.

Also, worth a read:

#32 Wax Man Riley
November 01 2011, 06:09PM

I'll be fist to admit that I didn't see this coming.

Edit: Curse you Scuba Steve!

I rag on Omark being a bad player with little to offer, but I didn't expect this. I thought he would get a couple more games to get his legs back. Now does he go back to Sweden?

I doubt it. I think he is a very proud man, and going back would indicate failure.

Rip it up in the AHL. Get some legs back, come back and SIUTBOYC! That includes me.

#33 Kai
November 01 2011, 06:32PM

Id imagine that rule is there to prevent teams from cheaping out and assigning players during layoffs without actually sending them down and saving some coin by paying the ahl side of the two way contract.

#34 sofarsogood
November 01 2011, 06:36PM

When we go to the cup final in the first year of the new rink, will omark be in the plans. I doubt it.

#35 Captain Obvious
November 01 2011, 06:38PM

In a rational world this would be so that Omark could get some game time before being called back up to play again.

In the real world he rots in the AHL until he is traded for nothing. If he is called up it will only be because they are forced by injury to do so. In which case he'll play marginal minutes until they blame him for everything again.

If they don't think he is a real NHL player I don't understand why they didn't trade him in the offseason before they destroyed his value. I don't know what he would have been worth but I know it was more than it was after being benched 10 minutes into the season. Now they've destroyed his value and there is no way to get it back. Even if he plays well in the AHL what is that going to prove. He's already over a point per game in the AHL and he already has a reputation as a minor league player. Playing well can't change that reputation. However, playing poorly could confirm it. This is a lose-lose proposition for both the Oilers and Omark.

#36 Quicksilver ballet
November 01 2011, 06:57PM

Oh man, Archie's going to be so disappointed. Of all people, it has to be his favorite player getting the shaft here. Poor Arch. :(

#37 VK63
November 01 2011, 07:00PM

@Captain Obvious

Im not sure I follow how the Oilers have destroyed his value. What was he worth this summer in your opinion.

#38 OilFan
November 01 2011, 07:02PM

Omark hasn't been a good fit this season, I hope this will help. So do the Oil make a trade for a dman with Sutton being suspended ? Gagner on the move ?

#39 VK63
November 01 2011, 07:04PM

@Quicksilver ballet

On the contrary.. archs position will be.. hes a goat.. where else but the farm?

I had souray pegged as goat material a couple years back and he even got sent to a dont contaminate the prize livestock farm.

That hurt.

#40 Quicksilver ballet
November 01 2011, 07:24PM
VK63 wrote:

That hurt.

Are you sure roughneck?

He's been really animated on this issue, was darn sure he was his biggest fan. Nobody speaks of Omark more on this forum than Arch. Never had him pegged as a Hang'em high kinda guy. Who knew....

#41 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 01 2011, 07:27PM

Gee that didn't take long. Time to celebrate Arch.

#42 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 01 2011, 07:29PM

@ Captain Obvious or, maybe they could get next to nothing for him in a trade over the summer.

#43 justDOit
November 01 2011, 07:49PM

Oh is he going to be steamed! But this is probably easier for him to take than being a HS.

I wonder if he's got another 5 goal game in him, to SUITBOYC.

#44 Craig1981
November 01 2011, 07:56PM

This isn't that big of deal. Several players get sent down. Smid did.......and he is one of the only prospects of that team that is still an oiler.

#45 Matt Henderson
November 01 2011, 08:14PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Gee that didn't take long. Time to celebrate Arch.

He's right where he belongs. If he can turn those skills into something that is more consistant then he could be a good offensive weapon.

I just wish my Star would get around to making me look a little smarter.

#46 The Beaker
November 01 2011, 08:28PM

@Matt Henderson

Your star scoring 50 wouldn't change your looks Arch :)

#47 Wanyes bastard child
November 01 2011, 08:43PM
The Beaker wrote:

Your star scoring 50 wouldn't change your looks Arch :)

He's rocking the young Harrison Ford avi, betcha %99 of women disagree with you ;)

#48 stevezie
November 01 2011, 08:54PM

As an Omark supporter I have no problem with this, provided that when he goes down there and tears it up appropriate action as taken.

#49 Dennis
November 01 2011, 09:10PM

this leaves the Oilers with just 12 healthy forwards. so does this mean 83 could play as early as Thurs night or does it mean they are cool with rolling the dice and hoping no one gets hurt during practice or in the weight room etc

I hate it when teams purposely leave themselves short

#50 Romanus