LUCIC V MILLER

Wanye
November 15 2011 10:43AM

Every now and again non Oilers related highlights make their way onto the non HD television screen at Wanye Manor. Sometimes we even have an opinion on the matter. Other times we can't make up our mind on what we think. This hit on Ryan Miller falls squarely in category two.

Undecided.

During the first period on Saturday, Milan Lucic ran over Sabres goalie Ryan Miller, who had come out of his net to play the puck. Lucic was given a two minute penalty for charging. Miller has a concussion and has temporarily handed the reins over to backup Jhonas Enroth against the Habs Monday night.

And now news today that there will be no suspension or fine for Lucic.

Says TSN:

"I had the hearing because I did make an initial assessment of the play as I do with all plays, but I did have some questions for Milan and I wanted to hear directly from him," Shanahan told NHL.com. "They were regarding his intent; at what point did he know there was going to be a collision; and whether or not he felt he had the time to avoid the collision."

The hit was certainly spectacular, with Miller being knocked to the ice and losing his goalie bucket in the process. His injury is certainly real too, with a concussion keeping him on the shelf for an unknown period of time. He wasn't hamming it up to draw a penalty.

But does this play represent a dirty hit? Or should goalies stay in their nets where it is safe?

TRAIN OF THOUGHT ONE - DIRTY POOL

There is one train of thought that suggests the hit on Miller was dirty as all hell. "Goalies shouldn't be a part of the physical play" the thinking goes, "on account of their big pads, fragile state and the fact they rarely get skating very quickly and thus lose out in the physics of a play such as this." Or they think that the player has a responsibility to let up on a hit such as this, owing to the fact that it isn't a hulking D they are going up against.

We can totally see the validity of this thinking. If Jordan Eberle was a goalie and Milan Lucic harmed so much as a hair on his precious head we would be out on the mean streets of Edmonton within minutes looking for revenge. Even if the play happened on the road in Boston, that's how upset we would be.

TRAIN OF THOUGHT TWO - FAIR PLAY

There is a second group that consider this hit on Miller a fair play. "If goalies don't like getting steamrolled they shouldn't be out playing the puck. Stay in your net where it is safe goalie-man" these people say. Plays like this one are unfortunate but are more an exception to the rule than the norm.

"If goalies aren't fair game when they leave the ice, next thing you know Martin Brodeur will be skating all over the ice in Jersey, manning the point on the PP and there ain't a damn thing we will be able to do about it if he can't be hit."

Its a tough call - so we figured we would put it to a poll. Heck, the Oil aren't playing again until some time in 2014 so we might as well pass the time.

Does this hit deserve a suspension?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#51 John Chambers
November 15 2011, 03:26PM

What is it about the NE Division? They have the best rivalries.

Remember Alfredsson mocking Sundin for chucking his stick in the crowd? Remember Ray Emery fighting Miller and then fighting Alberts? Last year Chara destroying Pacioretty and the goal- and fight-fest the Habs and Bruins had? And now this!

I demand that Taylor Hall run over Luongo like a freight train next game. The precedent has been set that there won't be a suspension, and then we can sick Eager on the Canucks.

The Oilers should really be modeling themselves after the Bruins. They're mean, they're badass, and you can bet nobody wants to play them.

#52 Dman09
November 15 2011, 03:26PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Violence good, suspensions bad.

No big deal, he hit Miller more or less from the side, the rear portion of the shoulder. The head wasn't targeted and a hit like this every once in a while will keep the goalies honest.

Somebody has to be stirring the pot on a nightly basis, who better than Milan. The Oilers need a ship disturber like that, we could use more passion on this hockey club, its been far too long since the last suspension.

Eager was supposed to bring passion and so far I haven't seen anything I've liked from him.

#53 headmetal
November 15 2011, 03:29PM

Clearly the Boston tender can take care of himself , which is why Lucic was not worried about retaliation.

As a goalie myself, I'd think it is fair to be hit...as long as I am allowed to hit back Ala Thomas!

#54 MustachioPistachio
November 15 2011, 03:30PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Violence good, suspensions bad.

I agree with you amigo. Eager is playing well and has been getting decent amount of scoring chances and now he thinks he's stamkos and doesn't want to throw big hits or drop the mitts. I can't wait til hordichuk that guy cos he knows his role and he does it well..... Destroy opposing team

#55 JBD
November 15 2011, 03:32PM
Hemmertime wrote:

I'd say Miller is lucky not to be suspended.

If his swinging at Lucic with his stick connected I would say a large suspension would have been in order. I'd almost give him a few games anyway. A retaliation to being hit is not trying to baseball slash a player

In response to Hemmertime I agree; the intent of miller is to hurt Lucic after the hit. No player can baseball swing at another player, even if it is with only one hand. There should have been at least a two minute penalty to miller for slashing because the intent was there to slash Miller.

As to the actual hit, I would be good with a major penalty due to the severity of the hit, the fact that Miller was injured, and it is illegal to hit a goalie. This is an illegal hit by the rule book and should be punished as such. The rule should be cleared up so that players know what is and isn't allowed. It is frustrating for a player when the goalie can hit you, but he is untouchable. Look at the Hasek incident when he came out of the crease and flipped Gaborik over him. While there is other factors at play here (Gaborik with his head down)Hasek still came right at the player, and was lucky to not seriously injure Gaborik.

I love the fact that the two Buffalo players get thrown off by Lucic like they are nothing. Lucic looks to first be worried about protecting himself. When you are in a situation where you might hit a player, you are going to try to protect yourself from injury first, and then evade second. So yes he may have been able to evade, but he also wanted to protect himself from being injured.

#56 jeanshorts
November 15 2011, 03:34PM
John Chambers wrote:

What is it about the NE Division? They have the best rivalries.

I was just looking at the standings last night and thought "man that NE division is some kind of awesome. Every team in that division hates every other team with the passion of 1000 suns!"

We'll get there eventually, especially as we pass the Canucks on our way to Stanley Cup glory, and the Flames continue to wallow in mediocrity for the rest of time.

*and the reason I responded was mostly to correct you; it was Biron and Peters that Emery fought. What a game that was!*

#57 LacrosseOiler
November 15 2011, 03:37PM

@JeffG

Goalies over 12 years old expect to get hit when they play the puck far out of the crease with an opponent is bearing down on it. They also expect that if they get hit there will be a penalty. Both players know that it is part of the game.

#58 Oilers Coffey
November 15 2011, 03:42PM

The Big Bad Boston Bruins, with a cocky mouthed Seguin. I despise their team now they are not facing the Canucks ( ABC)

The reason for the despise, they are a good team that steam rolls over their opponents at will, and no one pushes them back.

I thought that's what Eagers roll was supposed to be??? Big guy, mean, streak, unpredictable and can pot a few, where is that guy? I can't wait for Hordi to get healthy again, our guys have been pushed around on the eastern swing far too much, with NO ONE willing to push back!

ONE Reason Messier was good, he created his own space. Like Strudwick pointed out maybe our guys need to start giving a checker a mouthful of composite to earn their own room?

#59 Quicksilver ballet
November 15 2011, 03:43PM
Dman09 wrote:

Give Ben some time. He still looks as though he's not 100%.

He's not a Hemsky,Hall or Eberle where the Oilers will tend to error on the side of caution. Bottom 6 forwards are probably treated differently than some of the finess players are, i can see that it may be possible he came back a couple weeks early.

Next Sept at training camp i think we'll see Eager catching Tulupov off gaurd by accident.

#60 Dman09
November 15 2011, 03:48PM

Barker is out for at least a month. I think its time to try and make something happen on the trade front. We should be trying to get Franson from the Leafs.

#61 LacrosseOiler
November 15 2011, 03:53PM

@mayorpoop

The elbow is a judgement call. It happens so fast that is impossible to judge whether it defensive or aggessive.

The stick swing is plain intent to injure. Miller is looking directly at Lucic as he swings at his legs. Players are responsible for the sticks at all times.

Your apples to oranges argument is as superficial as your two players with no comparible value statement. Niether is worth addressing.

#62 Quicksilver ballet
November 15 2011, 04:02PM

@MustachioPistachio

The Oilers have been a very similar team to the Sabres in the physicallity department. For many years they've taken it and turned the other cheek like the Sabres did on this incident.

It's good to see the Oilers getting into that shoot first and ask questions later frame of mind. Hordichuk can't get back soon enough.

#63 mayorpoop
November 15 2011, 04:04PM

@LacrosseOiler

do explain to me how they compare please. i'm in need of some education on this issue.

people like to find validation in the strangest of ways.

#64 HORDY hears a who
November 15 2011, 04:04PM

@ Oilers4SAlberta

Did HORDY just hear a who?? I can't wait til HORDY gets back that guy would bump up our current team toughness from 4/10 to 11/10 as eager has chosen a different path and FrankenSUTTONstein is trying to lay low as judge shanny is watching closely. HORDY was practicing with the team today and hopefully plays this thursday

#65 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 15 2011, 04:06PM

@StrangePhD

By the Vapors of Valtor!! great name/avatar my friend.

#66 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 15 2011, 04:10PM

The Oil are definitely a small, skilled team and not a Bruinsesque machine of brutality and punishment. the closest we have is Eager who's playing like a blanket that needs to be hung out to dry.

But a word of warning to all the build a Bruinesque team folks... the Oil have a poor track record with Coke-Machines... for every Lucic out there, there are a ton of JFJs

#67 Dman09
November 15 2011, 04:13PM
HORDY hears a who wrote:

@ Oilers4SAlberta

They will need Hordi with Konopka coming to town.

#68 A-Mc
November 15 2011, 04:13PM

@HORDY hears a who

I must say I love your input. My GF and I have had a few chuckles at your random comments that always suggest a current situation WILL be made Magnificent by the addition of HORDY.

Let's hope HORDY has a spot on the Roster come Thursday. Who sits?

#69 mayorpoop
November 15 2011, 04:15PM

@LacrosseOiler

if i could edit i would but i can't so i won't. so that validation comment was a general comment not directed at you. just so you know.

#70 Randy
November 15 2011, 04:22PM

Goalies have their little spot in the world clearly marked out so even the dumbest ones know where they are safe and where they aren't. If you want to play the puck in the face off circles you should expect the same treatment everybody else gets there no matter the size of your pads. The only thing Shanahan has to do now is react the exact same way the next time it happens and not decide the practice needs to be stepped on.

The only qualifier is that the NHL has created a bit of a sense of security for their Masked Marvels by the way they have protected them til now. I would feel even more strongly that it is exactly what should have happened to Miller, if Miller even had a clue that he might get clobbered for his wandering ways.

Anyway, here's hopin' it's the new world order.

#71 Oilcan
November 15 2011, 04:38PM
Dman09 wrote:

I call BS. Similar hits have happened without a Goalie involved and suspensions were handed out. Lets put it this way, since I think they are similar in many ways, if Lucic was Sutton and Miller was an Avs forward would there have been a penalty? Sutton's was not a brutal as Lucic and no injury resulted yet he was suspended 5 games. Sorry Shanny is being selective and has a clear double standard in place.

I disagree with Shanny on the Sutton hit but he did hit the head (Just because he is 6 inches taller) but Lucic didn't hit the head and didn't really hit him it was more so just a collision where Lucic braced himself in my opinion.

Miller is an idiot for coming out of the net like that and I bet that he did that thinking he could get off Lucic and save a breakaway, Miller deserved to get hit for being that dumb.

#72 @thesquireyeg
November 15 2011, 04:47PM

The title of this comment is "Late to the Party 2 - Im gonna say it anyway"

I believe what Lucic did was fine, Miller realized that he was gonna get hit braced himself and took it like a vaginapants. A 2 minute penalty is more the enough in this situation.

The real sad part of this "event" was the lack of "stick up for your teamate" that was shown be all the Sabres that were on the ice. Just proof that the game is getting soft, Ruff should of scratched that entire line not just Myers.

But I do agree with Wanye, if that was any off the kids getting hurt I would go crazy!!! But that is what being Oiler fan is all about.

Kudos to Lucic and please join us here in E-town.

#73 Oilcan
November 15 2011, 04:49PM
@thesquireyeg wrote:

The title of this comment is "Late to the Party 2 - Im gonna say it anyway"

Kudos to Lucic and please join us here in E-town.

Ha Vaginapants... CLASSIC!!

NO Susupention IMO. If a goalie doesn't want to get hit, stay in your crease. you come out, you're just another skater as far as I'm concerned.

#75 OilLeak
November 15 2011, 06:10PM
Oilers G-that un-retired Haiku writing MotherF^%$er wrote:

Fine if that's what you want to believe, but the rulebook says otherwise.

Dirty play by Lucic, he went for the hit, full speed and brought his arms up. Maybe an instinctual move, but players need to take responsibility for their actions, that was a violent act. Lucic is a bull.

#76 Poly
November 15 2011, 07:17PM

I was a goalie my whole life, played up to some decent level hockey, and I always believed in a play like that I was fair game. Wearing pads did not give me carte blanche to go wherever I wanted, disrupt a play, get in peoples way, and do it all untouched. Miller is maybe 160, I applaud him for being willing to take that chance, he took a hit to make a play. It is not Lucic's job to leap out of the way, no suspension needed.

#77 Quicksilver ballet
November 15 2011, 07:23PM
OilLeak wrote:

Fine if that's what you want to believe, but the rulebook says otherwise.

Oileak, watch the video again, his arm/elbow is snug up against his torso, his arm/elbow isn't extended at all. He made contact with Miller from the side. His head may have wobbled around somewhat but it wasn't targeted or the point of contact.

Once he sees a colision is imminant he starts coasting and braces for contact. It's a clean hit if the player on the receiving end isn't wearing goalie equipment.

The charging penalty was a farce. From the Bruins blueline to the redline Lucic feels he has an opportunity at a breakaway, his acceleration was in an effort to regain posession of the puck and bring harm to Millers Sabres in another way. Milan is big and strong but obviously, not fast enough. Put 1" of high density foam underneath that shinpad of his and he catches up to the buck at the Sabres blueline. Obviously he's not a shot blocker.

#79 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 15 2011, 07:52PM

something of an update:

#80 Dog Train
November 15 2011, 07:53PM

I hate it when goaltenders rush out to prevent potential breakaways but I don't think that they should be fair game. Ryan Miller is too valuable to the Buffalo Sabres for them to lose him long-term (even if the Enroth kid is playing well). By not suspending Lucic, the NHL has set the precedent that that is a legal play in the NHL. I fully hope that the next time that we get a goaltender lined up outside of his crease, he smoke the crap out of him.

#81 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 15 2011, 07:57PM
OilLeak wrote:

Fine if that's what you want to believe, but the rulebook says otherwise.

and @Moneypuck

It looked to me like he extended his arms through the hit... not on the head mind you. but I think that was a hit, as if Miller were a D.

But @Oilleak... who's saying it wasn't an illegal hit? probably someone... I can't be bothered to re-read the whole thread. but I think most, if not all, believe the penalty was assessed correctly according to the rulebook. that isn't at issue. At issue is whether it rises to suspension-level.

#82 loosemoose
November 15 2011, 09:32PM

Nobody comes to the goalies defence?

The number one, high priced allstar goalie who loves to run his mouth in front of media scrums had no backup?

Wonder how many christmas cards Ryan Miller gets from his teammates?

my guess...zero

Wonder how many christams cards Milan Lucic will get from the Sabers?

my guess...a lot

#83 Rob...
November 15 2011, 10:36PM
A-Mc wrote:

Let's hope HORDY has a spot on the Roster come Thursday. Who sits?

Dude, if your Girlfriend reads ON and gets hockey enough to chuckle over Hordichuck being considered a savior in all situations... marry her.

#84 Charlie
November 15 2011, 10:41PM

Miller should have done the ol' Dominik Hasek QB slide and send Milan for a Gaborik-esque double backflip.

But then there'd be nothing to talk about on TSN, which I can't complain about since I haven't had to hear about a headshot in a week.

#85 Dano
November 15 2011, 10:49PM

Miller, I recommend you stay in your net.

Good hit by Lucic! I wish he was an Oiler.

#86 Wanyes bastard child
November 15 2011, 11:05PM
Rob... wrote:

Seconded!!!

#87 The Beaker
November 16 2011, 07:20AM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Seconded!!!

Thirdeded!!!

#88 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 16 2011, 08:11AM
The Beaker wrote:

Thirdeded!!!

Fourthed!!

I think that official. Congrats you are now engaged. When can we expect the invitations.

ps. I like a really big dinner, none of that arugula salad nonsense.

#89 Archaeologuy
November 16 2011, 08:46AM

@A-Mc

I'll take Romulus' Arugula Salad if he doesnt want it.

#90 VK63
November 16 2011, 08:56AM

~so I take it Tyler myers didn't rag doll lucic to right the travesty of justice~

#91 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 16 2011, 09:17AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

I'll take Romulus' Arugula Salad if he doesnt want it.

I'm sure a trade can be arranged.

In general I follow the example set by Peter Bull's character in A Christmas Carol (1951 version):

"Well, the funeral won't cost much, that's for certain. Upon my soul I can't think of anyone who will go to it."

"Oh, I don't mind going, if there's a luncheon provided. But I must be fed, or else I stay at home!"

scene starts at 8:25 mark:

#92 HORDY hears a who
November 16 2011, 09:56AM
Rob... wrote:

Thank me and operation Hhordichuk later

Ps HORDY has been cleared the other and hopefully Renney does the right thing and let's HORDY destroy that poser konopka

#93 Quicksilver ballet
November 16 2011, 10:03AM

That's the only element missing from Hordichuks game. When in doubt run the goaltender has never been high on Hordy's list.

We need more violent incidents to discuss here. I have a good feeling someone is going to venture into the hornets nest tommorow evening.

#94 geoilersgist
November 16 2011, 10:20AM

Off topic here, Wanye nothing makes me happier than seeing the score backwards it makes me feel like we are going back on a winning streak again.

#95 HORDY hears a who
November 16 2011, 10:20AM

Exactly. We need him to know how to rattle the other goalies birdcage But I'm sure he will learn. Everyone hates Sean Avery for giving goalies a hard time but I'm sure the NYR fans love it

I've also noticed how quite a few guys on our team never finishes there's checks. They'd follow them but last second move to the side and decide to hit the board like wtf. But I'm the type of guy that appreciates a nice big clean hit more than a goal.... Unless its HORDY scoring

#96 OilFarmer
November 16 2011, 10:22AM

Maybe if Miller realized that styling his hair with butter is a bad idea his lid wouldn't have popped off so easily and he wouldn't have got concussed. Seriously that guys hair is way to greasy.

#97 Quicksilver ballet
November 16 2011, 01:01PM

Milan Lucic is a bad bad man.

Just trying to set someone up for the token Gretzky post.

#98 copperandblue
November 16 2011, 10:46PM

Lucic has to be reined in by the Sabres and not the League. After Lucic smacks Sekera twice Myers comes in and gives him a shove. If Myers comes in with an overhead right and breaks Lucic's nose we wouldn't hear from Lucic again all year.

Someone is going to give it to #17 shouldn't be the League.