LUCIC V MILLER

Wanye
November 15 2011 10:43AM

Every now and again non Oilers related highlights make their way onto the non HD television screen at Wanye Manor. Sometimes we even have an opinion on the matter. Other times we can't make up our mind on what we think. This hit on Ryan Miller falls squarely in category two.

Undecided.

During the first period on Saturday, Milan Lucic ran over Sabres goalie Ryan Miller, who had come out of his net to play the puck. Lucic was given a two minute penalty for charging. Miller has a concussion and has temporarily handed the reins over to backup Jhonas Enroth against the Habs Monday night.

And now news today that there will be no suspension or fine for Lucic.

Says TSN:

"I had the hearing because I did make an initial assessment of the play as I do with all plays, but I did have some questions for Milan and I wanted to hear directly from him," Shanahan told NHL.com. "They were regarding his intent; at what point did he know there was going to be a collision; and whether or not he felt he had the time to avoid the collision."

The hit was certainly spectacular, with Miller being knocked to the ice and losing his goalie bucket in the process. His injury is certainly real too, with a concussion keeping him on the shelf for an unknown period of time. He wasn't hamming it up to draw a penalty.

But does this play represent a dirty hit? Or should goalies stay in their nets where it is safe?

TRAIN OF THOUGHT ONE - DIRTY POOL

There is one train of thought that suggests the hit on Miller was dirty as all hell. "Goalies shouldn't be a part of the physical play" the thinking goes, "on account of their big pads, fragile state and the fact they rarely get skating very quickly and thus lose out in the physics of a play such as this." Or they think that the player has a responsibility to let up on a hit such as this, owing to the fact that it isn't a hulking D they are going up against.

We can totally see the validity of this thinking. If Jordan Eberle was a goalie and Milan Lucic harmed so much as a hair on his precious head we would be out on the mean streets of Edmonton within minutes looking for revenge. Even if the play happened on the road in Boston, that's how upset we would be.

TRAIN OF THOUGHT TWO - FAIR PLAY

There is a second group that consider this hit on Miller a fair play. "If goalies don't like getting steamrolled they shouldn't be out playing the puck. Stay in your net where it is safe goalie-man" these people say. Plays like this one are unfortunate but are more an exception to the rule than the norm.

"If goalies aren't fair game when they leave the ice, next thing you know Martin Brodeur will be skating all over the ice in Jersey, manning the point on the PP and there ain't a damn thing we will be able to do about it if he can't be hit."

Its a tough call - so we figured we would put it to a poll. Heck, the Oil aren't playing again until some time in 2014 so we might as well pass the time.

Does this hit deserve a suspension?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Archaeologuy
November 15 2011, 10:50AM

Fist!

EDIT: Damn you Archaeologuy!

#2 baggedmilk
November 15 2011, 12:10PM

I think the hit was hilarious, it was Miller's fault though. You don't want to play rough stay in the blue paint, sunshine.

#3 South of Cowtown
November 15 2011, 11:33AM

The fact that goalies can throw a bodycheck legally, lends to the argument that they can be hit. Thomas laid out one of the canucks and the league loved it. Personally, I loved it cuz it was one of the canucks.

#4 gord962
November 15 2011, 12:30PM
Rob... wrote:

I hate the Boston Bruins. This hasn't changed for at least 35 years and isn't about to change now. With that said, I hate any rule that promotes goalies acting like untouchable defencemen even more.

Oh, and I agree with everyone who mentions Buffalo's lack of response being the biggest travesty in this whole matter. The NHLPA should force the Sabres to volunteer their time playing in a ringette tournament. I'm sure the ladies could teach them a thing or two about competitive spirit and camaraderie.

I too was a Bruins hater until last Spring when they kept the Canucks from winning the cup. Now I love the Bruins. I have the same love for the TB Lightning.

#5 Rob...
November 15 2011, 10:36PM
A-Mc wrote:

I must say I love your input. My GF and I have had a few chuckles at your random comments that always suggest a current situation WILL be made Magnificent by the addition of HORDY.

Let's hope HORDY has a spot on the Roster come Thursday. Who sits?

Dude, if your Girlfriend reads ON and gets hockey enough to chuckle over Hordichuck being considered a savior in all situations... marry her.

#6 mayorpoop
November 15 2011, 10:59AM

that was a dirty cheap play by Lucic and YES he should have been suspended (min 2). the carnage to ensue should be interesting to keeps tabs on tho.

Shannahan has been very hit and miss to my eye and is beginning to look as consistent as Campbell, not good.

#7 Woogie
November 15 2011, 11:07AM

That hit was illegal hence the 2 minutes for charging.

Secondly, Lucic broke the hockey code by hitting Miller. There is no way Lucic didn't try to hit him. Lucic didn't try in the least to avoid him.

Lucic hitting the goalie is not the most disrespectful thing that happened. What is the most disrespectful part is nobody in buffalo did anything.

I know Lucic is a though customer but if you are on the ice someone has to fight him. I don't care if the Buffalo player lost the fight and got beat up in the process. Someone needed to answer the bell. PATHETIC!

#8 Cowboybillflett
November 15 2011, 11:28AM

WHo cares about the hit it was the response that was pathetic. 3 words: Bench Clearing Brawl.

#9 Dman09
November 15 2011, 11:47AM
gord962 wrote:

I would say that contact with the goalie should be allowed but not steamrolling as Lucic did. That leaves the ability for interpretation by the refs. I would have it so a player can contact a goalie outside the crease. The goalies are busy playing the puck WAY out of the crease and shielding the puck with their body because they know they are protected by the rules. I agree that we need to protect the goalies as they are a very important position to the team, but that might keep them from wondering out to the blue line to play the puck. Perhaps extend the trapazoid up in front of the crease. This area would provide a 'safety zone' where a goalie is off limits (so they can play the puck behind the net safely) and anything outside that area they can be hit.

I dont mind a goaltender getting rubbed out behind the net for playing the puck but don't get a pissy when you take a blocker in the face for your effort.

#10 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 15 2011, 01:05PM

RE: Buffalo not showing up...

Someone the other day (not sure where I heard this) mentioned that they didn't because the Sabres only had little guys on the ice at the time... and Pomminville after the game said he didn't do anything because he was hoping for a 5min PP and didn't want to jeopardize it...

Both of those seem like pretty weak arguments to me. I can name any number of small guys who would be happy to dance to protect their goalie, I'm sure Marchand wouldn't have stood for that. And Pomminville just comes off as an a$$ in that comment...

Not sure what is worse though... the weak on-ice response or the hilarious talking-points they came up with as a team... they all said the same non-sensical drivel... "we addressed it internally"... sounds pretty lawyerly to me!

#11 Oilcan
November 15 2011, 01:15PM

I don't think goalies should be fair game, but I also don't think it was dirty. Lucic had his head down and the puck wasn't too far out of his reach he was at top speed and probably expected to reach the puck then drive the net but just when he is closing on the puck Miller skates out and plays it so Lucic goes right into him (He could have made an attempt to move but I wouldnt either I would be pissed if a goalie came and cut me off)

So to sum up Lucic didn't try to avoid it and Miller is a major dunce for rushing out and cutting off a top speed Lucic (possible action figure??).

Right call by shanny!

#12 LacrosseOiler
November 15 2011, 01:23PM

To call the Lucic hit dirty is laughable. There were two hockey players playing a puck in open ice. It was body on body on the last player to play the puck. Because the goalie was hit hard it may be illegal but not dirty. Miller was the dirty player... He got his elbow up on the play then swung his stick at Lucic legs. Was it dirty because Lucic is big and tough? The announcers are pathetic in their cries of woe. There were two hockey players playing a puck in open ice. Miller got the worst of it. 2 minutes for charging is an adequate penalty for the incedent.

#13 Hemmertime
November 15 2011, 01:25PM

I'd say Miller is lucky not to be suspended.

If his swinging at Lucic with his stick connected I would say a large suspension would have been in order. I'd almost give him a few games anyway. A retaliation to being hit is not trying to baseball slash a player

#14 Oilphins
November 15 2011, 01:47PM

To me, this hit was legal. Miller knew Lucic had a great deal of momentum built up when he decided to race out and play the puck. If he was concerned with getting hit he could have stayed in his crease and face Lucic on a breakaway.

Regheir can complain and liken this to a quarterback in football being protected all he wants, the fact of the matter is a quarterback has the choice to slide or take a hit, much like Miller had the choice to cover the puck or take a hit.

#16 Ninjafoot
November 15 2011, 02:44PM

I have always hated how goalies wander around like they are 10 foot tall and bulletproof when they go out to handle the puck, and then cry when they actually get bumped from time to time. I think Lucic could probably have avoided most of the hit, but should he have to? Based on the rules as they are I was okay with just 2 minutes, and no suspension, though I agree that is probably lenient given some of the other suspensions handed out this season. Overall, add my voice to the crowd that says "stay in the blue paint if you don't want to get hit". Goalies have the option to be protected like no one else on the ice. If they choose to give that protection up to go for a quick skate or to try and set a pick they should be treated like everyone else. Run a few goalies over in open ice and see how much more often they stay where they belong.

#17 kdunbar
November 15 2011, 03:00PM

Goalies by the rules are not fair game, penalty waranted, but they should be unless we want more of this...

#18 MustachioPistachio
November 15 2011, 03:02PM

I think if the NHL invested on goalies taking some BJJ Brazilian jiu jitsu classes Miller could've countered/converted that hit to a flying Armbar, guillotine choke or even an arm triangle but that's just my opinion, who am I to judge.

I've always liked Lucic and am still hoping one day he plays for the oilers.

#19 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 15 2011, 03:02PM

Violence good, suspensions bad.

No big deal, he hit Miller more or less from the side, the rear portion of the shoulder. The head wasn't targeted and a hit like this every once in a while will keep the goalies honest.

Somebody has to be stirring the pot on a nightly basis, who better than Milan. The Oilers need a ship disturber like that, we could use more passion on this hockey club, its been far too long since the last suspension.

#20 StrangePhD
November 15 2011, 03:06PM

My thoughts when watching the replays were that a) Lucic was skating hard after a loose puck, b) Miller played the puck before Lucic got there and c) Lucic followed through and collided with Miller (his hands being raised seemed to be less about "hitting" Miller and more about bracing for a collision...god knows I wouldn't fly into a well-armoured opponent face-first). Yes, Lucic should have tried to avoid the collision as goalies are off-limits (rightly or wrongly), but he did not and was penalized for it on the ice. Now, maybe that should have been a 5 minute major or a game misconduct, but it wasn't and supplemental discipline is not intended to correct a missed/wrong call on the ice. Lucic charged Miller and took a penalty for it. No suspension necessary.

#21 @thesquireyeg
November 15 2011, 04:47PM

The title of this comment is "Late to the Party 2 - Im gonna say it anyway"

I believe what Lucic did was fine, Miller realized that he was gonna get hit braced himself and took it like a vaginapants. A 2 minute penalty is more the enough in this situation.

The real sad part of this "event" was the lack of "stick up for your teamate" that was shown be all the Sabres that were on the ice. Just proof that the game is getting soft, Ruff should of scratched that entire line not just Myers.

But I do agree with Wanye, if that was any off the kids getting hurt I would go crazy!!! But that is what being Oiler fan is all about.

Kudos to Lucic and please join us here in E-town.

#22 OilLeak
November 15 2011, 06:10PM
Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate wrote:

NO Susupention IMO. If a goalie doesn't want to get hit, stay in your crease. you come out, you're just another skater as far as I'm concerned.

Fine if that's what you want to believe, but the rulebook says otherwise.

Dirty play by Lucic, he went for the hit, full speed and brought his arms up. Maybe an instinctual move, but players need to take responsibility for their actions, that was a violent act. Lucic is a bull.

#23 Archaeologuy
November 15 2011, 10:49AM

1) Goalies should be fair play when playing the puck outside of the blue paint. It isnt fair for them to come out and get a free pass to do what they want. Goalies are so much better skaters and puck handlers today than ever before, if they can skate out as far as Miller did to handle a puck then they should be deemed no different than a defenseman.

2) The rules currently (and wrongly) state that Goalies arent fair game.

Lucic should have gotten 2 games and the rule should be changed before Christmas.

Miller took away a clear chance for a Boston Goal by playing Defenseman instead of Goalie. He should be fair game, but isnt.

#24 The Towel Boy
November 15 2011, 10:51AM

Undecided.

#25 geoilersgist
November 15 2011, 11:01AM

I have always thought goalies should be fair game in certain areas, however in this case Lucic shouldn't have steamrolled Miller. Shanny can't honestly say that Lucic didn't plan on hitting Miller soon as he saw him leave his crease and for this I am shocked that there was no suspension. I think it would be ok if a goalie was to be rubbed out along the boards but an open ice hit like this is just ridiculous.

#26 @Oilanderp
November 15 2011, 11:31AM

Suspension without question. No attempt was made to avoid Miller whatsoever. Shame on you Shanny. Shame!

#27 A-Mc
November 15 2011, 11:31AM

I'm ok with this. The goalie didn't just step a couple feet out of the Crease, he made it all the way to the faceoff dot (Half way up the offensive zone).

There should be a risk in doing what miller did and IMO the risk should be: If you get hit while you're out there, the opposing team has an empty net to score on until you get your ass up and back on the blue paint!

I'm 100% ok with hitting the goalie in this case.

#28 Chris.
November 15 2011, 11:31AM

I think that goalies should be fair game when they leave their crease. The rule book, however, says differently. Until they change the rules that hit must be considered dirty and should merit a suspension.

#29 Dman09
November 15 2011, 11:32AM
geoilersgist wrote:

I too think goalies should be fair game but there still has to be a line like with all hits. I watch this video and this looks similar to the Sutton hit which he got suspended for. One camera angle clearly shows Lucic looking directly at the goaltender and it is obvious that the goaltender will reach the puck first. The puck is gone before the hit even happens. He clearly throws his arms as part of the hit similar to Sutton and he was coming in with a lot more speed than Sutton and didn't even attempt to slow down. There was no one else around so you can't say there wasn't an opportunity to avoid the hit. This is just another clear example of how retarded the whole Shanny thing is because they have no consistency and a double standard. I'm willing to bet the next time these teams meet the first guy to go after Lucic will end up kicked out of the game and a suspension for something less than what Lucic did.

#30 A-Mc
November 15 2011, 11:34AM

more impressively, i like how 2 players came up to Lucic to hit him and he shrugged them both off.

He's a Sturdy Chap!

#31 gord962
November 15 2011, 11:44AM

#32 Spaghetti - Team Facalto
November 15 2011, 11:45AM

LUCIC V MILLER who gives a rats a$$, Hordichuk is practicing in a regular jersey which means he maybe back Thursday.

GO OILERS!!!!!!

SQQUUUUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

#33 Hallberle
November 15 2011, 11:53AM

Dirty, without a doubt. This sets a dangerous precedent for other players in the league that it is ok to run the goalie. I'll set the over under at 3 games before Corey Perry takes a run

#34 Robert Parks
November 15 2011, 12:00PM

I'm with Archaeology on this one.

1. The rules are pretty clear in (wrongly) saying that goalies are not fair game. As much as I think goalies should be responsible with their bodies out on the ice, the rules give special protection to the goalies so that they aren't injured.

2. Lucic lit him up like a Christmas tree. Loved the hit, but totally illegal.

Lucic should have gotten a couple of games for charging as he injured a player with an grossly illegal hit.

The league should revisit the rules on contacting the goalie as I'm all for protecting the goalies, but the special bubble they get now goes too far.

#35 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 15 2011, 12:16PM

I'm not sure about this one.

it is not just that Lucic didn't try to avoid the check.

if he just ran into him at that speed and knocked him over, that's a two minute penalty (if I understand the rule right); but he clearly enhanced the play, making it a hit by extending his arms through the hit... and seemed pretty close to going for the head. I don't see how Shanny saw that as lack of intent to hit? that sounds like Shanny is selectively hearing things.

Also Lucic's post-game chat was pretty funny. He was really charged about the hit and talked about how it fired up the crowd, etc. I remember everyone talking about Sutton's aftergame chat and how that contributed to his suspension... I don't see how this is much different. I also don't see how the league can let Miller go... they have suspended/fined lots of players before for swearing and what not to the press.

Mostly i'm interested to see how this plays out... will the rules be retooled at the next GM meeting (it's soon right? and there we will hear about the Lombardi situation? and the no-touch icing, etc???) and whether people start running goalies like Ruff claims... I think the legacy of the hit has potential to have more impact than the hit itself and that legacy will probably determine how I feel about Shanny's decision more than anything

#36 Rob...
November 15 2011, 12:19PM

#37 knee deep in it
November 15 2011, 12:36PM

illegal hit but the rule should be changed. You have to protect the goalies so maybe they add another painted zone where there is no contact.

If a goalie decides to go beyond that zone, he is free game. His choice.

In football, they expect the 98 pound kickers to make the tackle if he is the last man standing between the returner and a touchdown. The quarterback is expected to tackle if he throws an intereception. No difference here.

If the goalie wants to participate physically, he can choose to handle the puck outside the zone.

#38 50 in 39
November 15 2011, 12:41PM

The hit is illegal and warrants a minor penalty but is not that big of deal. Miller skates out to the faceoff dot to play the puck and then decides to stand-up and challenge Lucic as he plays the puck, if he goes low and poke checks the puck he can protect himself and avoid the contact that is clearly coming but he doesn't. The race for the puck is within one stride, you can't expect Lucic to just peal off there.

The big deal is the fact that the Sabres didn't respond to the hit. Lucic destroys Miller and stands there posing saying "What are you gonna do about it" and the best the Sabres can do is say "Why I oughta give you a good facewashing".

#39 Twiggs
November 15 2011, 12:42PM

This is an easy one. If the goalie is coming out that far to play the puck and is racing an opposing player to get it, he should fair game. The rule book needs to be ammended to reflect this. Otherwise the opposing player has to back off and the goal gets a free play at the puck?

The way the rule is written right now, that play was deserving of a suspension. Which I think is wrong.

#40 gcw_rocks
November 15 2011, 12:52PM

Heard Curtis Joseph's take. He says rules need to be clearer:

1) make it very clear goalies are off limits, or 2) make it very clear they are fair game so they can either make the choice to stay in the net or prepare themselves to be hit

Anything in-between is stupid and leads to situations like this.

Fair points! getting hit when you expect it is one thing, getting steamrolled when you don't is another.

#41 neojanus
November 15 2011, 01:08PM

As the rules stand at this point, this hit is in violation and warranted a two minute charging call. Which is what it got. I don't see this as a blatant hit to the head and believe Shanny made the right call. There was a lot of momentum, but I don't feel the principle point of contact was clearly the head.

A goalie should be off limits in the crease and since there is a trapezoid denoting where a goalie can no longer legally touch a puck, the goalie should be safe behind the net.

However, if a goalie aggressively goes after a puck in the defensive zone (as Miller did), he should be fair game provided the check is legal... in this case, I think it would still be called charging.

Lucic beat the defense and has a clear line to the goal -- he deserves his offensive play. If the goalie elects to challenge the shooter here, prepare for the consequences -- otherwise, stay in the net and try to make the save. If at any point Lucic attempts to the play the puck and the goalie obstructs the play, but ends up getting muscled out for the puck, I say it is a fair play as it would be with any regular defensive player.

Too often goalies themselves use the clause to obstruct offense and that should be stopped.

The whole rule needs looking at.

In my version of the play with my rules, I'd still assess the penalty because of the charge. If there was no charge though, bodychecking should be legal given the goalie's intention to leave his goal and become the third d-man. I might also consider looking at whether despite a hit, the goalie is guilty of a pick... in this case I would say no, but other cases might be.

#42 TedL
November 15 2011, 01:13PM

It was an illegal hit (2 min boarding), a serious injury resulted (concussion), therefore, Lucic should definitely be suspended. Why? If Lucic did the same thing to a D-man, he would be suspended.

Illegal hit + serious injury = suspension.

Can't be more clear than that.

#43 Oilcan
November 15 2011, 01:16PM
TedL wrote:

Illegal hit + serious injury = suspension.

Can't be more clear than that.

If he did that to a dman that would be a nice hit and probably no penalty on the play. He braced himself and he his a beast skating at full speed he probably could have made a lucic size hole in the boards/glass if he ran into them.

#44 Mr. Pederson
November 15 2011, 01:28PM

Interesting analogy from Boardwalk Empire Sunday night:

Nelson the prohibition guy is having lunch with the other agent when they get offered a free lunch from the diner guy, which Nelson immediately refuses. Then the two agents talk about "malum in se" (evil in itself, like murder) and "malum prohibitum" (wrong because of statute, like accepting a free lunch as a cop or trying to prosecute bootleggers). Point being that some things are just bad, and maybe some things are only bad because we say they are and have made a rule against it.

For me, I agree with Archeologuy, Chris and others. This isn't such a bad hit to me, he's way out of his crease and can fully see Lucic coming; he should have expected some contact whether hitting goalies is in the rules or not. That being said, if you've got a rulebook you should probably use it and goalies currently can't be hit, and combined with Miller's injury I think they should have given Lucic 2 games.

I'm also amazed at the minimal response from Buffalo. That guy just ran your goalie, rip his head off!!

#45 JeffG
November 15 2011, 01:36PM

@LacrosseOiler

Does the hit deserve a suspension? No

It should of been 5 min major and a game.

Its against the rules.

Add in the fact that goalies do not expect to get hit makes it a dirty hit.

"Goalies are so much better skaters and puck handlers today than ever before"...maybe, but still no comparison to the other players on the ice.

#46 vetinari
November 15 2011, 01:39PM

I think that they should use football's punters as an analogous situation.

In the crease, goalies get full protection.

Out of the crease, if there is a charge for a puck between the goalie and an opposing player, if the opposing player touches or takes control of the puck before the goalie, the goalie is fair game to get run over (but no head shots). If the goalie touches or takes control of the puck first, then penalize the opposing player if he makes any contact on the goalie (minor if it is incidental and/or he attempted to avoid the goalie; major if the contact is substantial or no effort is made to avoid the goalie).

Head shots become automatic suspensions and major penalties get reviewed.

#47 Dman09
November 15 2011, 01:40PM
Oilcan wrote:

I call BS. Similar hits have happened without a Goalie involved and suspensions were handed out. Lets put it this way, since I think they are similar in many ways, if Lucic was Sutton and Miller was an Avs forward would there have been a penalty? Sutton's was not a brutal as Lucic and no injury resulted yet he was suspended 5 games. Sorry Shanny is being selective and has a clear double standard in place.

#48 mayorpoop
November 15 2011, 01:49PM

@LacrosseOiler

"There were two hockey players playing a puck in open ice."

two hockey players who play completely different positions that have no comparable value with each other. one wears minimal equipment while the other wears considerably more. one has much greater mobility. the other moves in a more cumbersome manner.

"Miller was the dirty player" - how? because he swung his stick (haphazardly if anything). elbow up? really? stretch much.

next time blocker up. cover your face.

if you are going to attempt to compare apples to apples that's fine, just stop bringing oranges to the apple off.

#49 PatH
November 15 2011, 01:57PM
Hemmertime wrote:

I'd say Miller is lucky not to be suspended.

I'm interested in that aspect of it as well. That reaction seemed absolutely vicious to me as an observer, though I realize it's in the heat of the moment. I think it's a sheer fluke that Miller's stick didn't connect with Lucic. Had it connected, I'm sure this whole incident would be viewed in a much different light.

Nonetheless, I certainly don't mean to draw attention away from the main issue at hand, i.e. what level of contact on a goalie warrants disciplinary action. A difficult topic, but one that needs to be sorted out, or at least improved upon. I think Joseph's 'all or none' take is interesting.

#50 Bandwagon jumper
November 15 2011, 02:20PM

I intially loved the way Shanahan was handling the hits to the head. But as the season has progressed, his decisions are questionable. Especially with cases like this one.

Lucic made no effort whatsoever to miss (or minimize) the collision with Millar and in fact exacerbated the collision by driving through the check (aimed at Millar's head to boot).

Shame on Shanahan.....