ATTA BOY!

Jason Strudwick
November 27 2011 05:50PM

Madonna has had a great career reinventing herself over and over again. Could it be that I am about to take a page out of the Material Girl's playbook?

THE RECAP

Last night in Sodertajle my partner, Kurt Davis, made a pass across the offensive zone blue line to me. All the other 9 skaters on the ice were on his side so I literally had a breakaway from above the tops of the circles in.

I waited the goalie out and then snapped a shot short side shelf.

Bang - the shot was pure money!

To say that I was pumped would be putting it mildly. I needed a celebration to commemorate the event. I held my stick hand up in the air while my other arm was trying to do something cool. I haven't seen the replay yet so I am hoping it was.

In my mind I know it was.

The guys on my team reacted just as excitedly.

Looking back on it I am not sure if it was because they too were pumped for me or if they were surprised? Either way the result was the same. Goal Strudwick!

The transition for Madonna from singing "Cherish" to "Vogue" was pretty dramatic. But if she can do it maybe I can change from a rugged stay at home dman to a sweet skating, point producing machine. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Then again, maybe not. I always liked her early stuff better anyway.

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
#1 Wanye
November 27 2011, 05:51PM

ATTA BOY STRUDWICK!

#3 DSF
November 27 2011, 06:11PM

Smid and Strudwick score the same night?

C'mon, who's making this stuff up? :)

#4 Robin Brownlee
November 27 2011, 06:38PM

You were trying to dump it in for a line change, right?

#5 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 27 2011, 09:17PM
Wanye wrote:

I updated the pictures in the article to include one from the game. The kid looking at the camera is priceless.

Kid is clearly loving the contact high he's getting of Strud-Musk...

sidebar: what's the over/under on the number of ads on that jersey? set it at 20?

#6 book¡e
November 27 2011, 07:06PM

I've noticed the comments at ON lately have been a little less angst-ridden and that there is less conflict.

That's it - proof - Strudwick is good in the room!

With a post like this, its easy to see the humour that Jason brought into the room! Congrats on the goal JS. Watch out Mike Iggulden, Jason Strudwick is kommer till dig!

#7 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
November 27 2011, 08:57PM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Oh Struds... you're such a material girl!

~besides, I bet the goal was borderline, you're a true blue and while you may have scored like a virgin on prom night I don't see your lucky star following you through the season~

Oh come on now, Struddles is playing in Sweden, not on La Isla Bonita. Hes not on Holiday, and I'll bet the fans are going crazy for you as they get into the groove. Now, Papa dont preach, I hope Struddles gets to live to tell the secret of his goal scoring prowess. Struds will cherish the goal and like a prayer, his name will be whispered in the hallowed halls of Sodertajle.

#8 Snoeflekz
November 28 2011, 09:39AM

Whatta snipe! http://www.sportklipp.nu/vod/?vid=45pg4ffb66&tpl=1&sw=1024&sh=576

#9 Harlie
November 27 2011, 06:28PM

this has got WIN written all over it...nice work!

#10 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 27 2011, 08:35PM

Oh Struds... you're such a material girl!

#11 Wanye
November 27 2011, 09:10PM

#12 Renegade
November 28 2011, 05:30AM

@Jason Strudwick

That was priceless.... :o)

#13 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 28 2011, 10:05AM
Snoeflekz wrote:

Whatta snipe! http://www.sportklipp.nu/vod/?vid=45pg4ffb66&tpl=1&sw=1024&sh=576

Thanks so much for the video!

@Wanye... embed the link in the article!

also, Struds... what a wrist shot!! deadly! Looked like a young Messier with that snap!

they'll be sure not to leave you that much room from here on in I gather... Respect the Strud!

ps... looked like you lost the game... sucks... not unlike the Oil losing after Smid's goal the other night.

Edit - also Struds your free hand made the standard cool "yes, I'm awesome" gesture! Indeed, it was cool and yes you are awesome!

#14 ItsTheBGB
November 27 2011, 06:01PM

Leg drop one T's ALLLL DDAAYYYYYYYYY.

#15 D
November 27 2011, 06:12PM

Yay Strudwick! Congrats!

#16 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
November 27 2011, 06:17PM

So how many break away goals did you score in the NHL?

#17 Wanyes bastard child
November 27 2011, 06:30PM

Pfft, why couldn't you score like that for us...

:P

#18 Oilcruzer
November 27 2011, 06:39PM

Consummate late bloomer.

Now, let's see a shorty.

#19 ubermiguel
November 27 2011, 06:41PM

Congrats Struds!

#20 Al Davis
November 27 2011, 06:46PM

I need definitive video evidence to believe this.

#21 OilerLand
November 27 2011, 06:59PM

here is a picture from @iangilesonline twitter:

#22 macaotim
November 27 2011, 07:22PM

You look like a race car in that picture. Nice work! Perhaps we should call you Lightning McStrud...oh never mind.

#23 philip
November 27 2011, 07:24PM

video or it didn't happen struddles

#24 Quinn the Eskimo
November 27 2011, 08:10PM

"I held my stick hand up in the air while my other arm was trying to do something cool"

come on and Vogue.

#25 Rob...
November 27 2011, 08:10PM

Congrats, Jason.

I've gone to your team's website. The fan forum is hilarious. I'm sure something is lost in google translation from Swedish, but I swear one poster was rating you as the only one on the team likely to 'score' in the bar as well. Though they did suggest you likely wouldn't be interested, being married and all.

Another poster said you're wearing an 'A' already. Is that true?

#26 Quinn the Eskimo
November 27 2011, 08:16PM

I just looked at that picture, Struds. It put me in mind of this quote from Apocalypse Now after Walter Kurtz joins the Green Berets at 38 years old:

"The next youngest guy in his class was half his age. They must have thought he was some far-out old man humping it over that course. I did it when I was 19 and it damn near wasted me. A tough motherf**ker. He finished."

#27 Wanye
November 27 2011, 09:52PM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Kid is clearly loving the contact high he's getting of Strud-Musk...

It warms my heart to see that many logos on display. I might have to try and figure out how to lay my hands on one of those babies.

*rubs hands together greedily*

#28 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 27 2011, 10:57PM

@Romulus' Apotheosis

Infiniprops for "Strud-Musk", I'm not at all sure what to make of that.

Also, infiniprops to the man himself. Jason STUDwick, amirite?

#29 positivebrontefan
November 27 2011, 11:35PM

Who's the old guy with all the tweeners?

LOL. Congrats Struds!

#30 Hockeyjedi
November 27 2011, 11:53PM

Haddabe Struds! You know this will sway Tambellini to give you a callback when the next injuries strike now that you've added this dynamic offensive side to your game, right?

#31 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 28 2011, 07:12AM
Jason Strudwick wrote:

I was going to send you the autographed puck but not after that comment. Instead I will be making a donation in your name to the human fund.

Enjoy the good Karma

can you imagine Brownlee stepping up for the Festivus Airing of the Grievances?

If Gregor was smart, he would get sponsors to pony up some cash and put that train wreck on the radio.

#32 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
November 28 2011, 08:06AM

@Jason Strudwick

I bet it it feels a little weird looking like you drive for NASCAR (Billboard Jersey)I am sure the cultural experience will be awesome for your family. Thanks for the posts (Don't feel obligated to reply, were just glad for the color you bring to the website.)

#33 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 28 2011, 08:12AM
Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!" wrote:

no, no Struds... definitely feel obligated to respond! We need validation, desperately!

#34 Renegade
November 28 2011, 08:16AM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

can you imagine Brownlee stepping up for the Festivus Airing of the Grievances?

Well I can imagine "fist" would be one of the first of Brownlee's Festivus grievances.

Festivus for the rest of us.

#35 Souby
November 28 2011, 08:44AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

You were trying to dump it in for a line change, right?

Ouch! Funny....not nice, but funny...:)

Keep up the good work Struds! I tried to find a You Tube video of this goal, but had no luck unfortunately. I did however find one with you scoring in OT, plus one of you Rocking Guitar Hero in a Movember worthy mustache! Nice!

#36 vetinari
November 28 2011, 09:28AM

Attaboy, Jason! We always thought of you as "the Madonna of Hockey"... next time (which I hope is soon), go full on "Madonna" and "vogue" in the post-goal celebrations.

#37 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 28 2011, 09:41AM

The triggerman rides again....

#38 Snoeflekz
November 28 2011, 10:51AM

@Romulus' Apotheosis

They lost in overtime. So at least Struds got his team 1 point in the standings!

#39 Oilerbill
November 28 2011, 11:59AM

Nothing like listening to a little Papa Don't Preach while slamming back some China Whites at Goose Loonies.

GO JS!!

#40 Sars
November 28 2011, 12:24PM

WAHOO STRUDS!!!! Great job man...

#41 @Oilanderp
November 28 2011, 12:30PM

I dare you to say "snapped a shot short side shelf" 5 times fast!

#42 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 28 2011, 01:05PM

Awesome goal Struds, have the Swedish fans done that "whistle instead of boo" thing yet? If so, does it hurt the ears on the ice? Sometimes it would get so bad during the worlds that I had to kill the volume on the tv.

#43 Randall Shermer
November 29 2011, 08:16AM

Quick, someone check if there are two Jason Strudwicks playing on the team.

One thing's certain: this guy was made for blogging.

#44 callmebigbear
November 29 2011, 01:13PM

Atta boy strudds !! You and smid getting goals on the same night makes me wanna name my son after you! Jason smid Carl ! nice ring to it!