Ebs and Flows

Lowetide
December 10 2011 07:43AM

There's so much happening with these young Oilers it's impossible to keep track. Example: as of this morning, Jordan Eberle is leading the entire NHL in a very important offensive category.

As of this morning, young Jordan Eberle leads the NHL in 5x5 points per 60 minutes. That means that at even strength he's absolutely killing it, and doing so in his second full NHL season. This season, I've noticed a couple of times Eberle scoring from outer zones, areas where the Ryan Smyth's of the world can get a shot off but one wouldn't consider it a scoring chance. Eberle has always had a quick, accurate shot but this year he's finding twine from above the slot and doing it with some regularity. Add this to his impressive playmaking ability and the Oilers have a 21-year old who looks primed to explode offensively.

WHAT WOULD THE EXPLOSION LOOK LIKE?

 

tsn's season projections have Eberle finishing the season 31-56-87, and those are exceptional boxcars. We can't project those numbers with authority--injuries and slumps could factor in to all of this--but the young man has been a constant on Edmonton's top line and there's no reason to change based on performance. Put it this way: he's on pace to have an exceptional season.

OVERSHADOWED

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is absolutely deserving of the attention he's received during a rookie season that so far ranks as one of the very best of the last 25 years. However, chemistry plays a big part in these things and "RNH to Eberle" may one day become as famous a phrase as well, certainly as famous as Weight-to-Smyth.

Eberle's uniqueness--in my opinion--comes in the sheer number of areas he's good to very good in. Eberle is a smart, savvy player who can find open ice and pass the puck expertly. He's a quick shooter, very accurate and has a keen sense of timing in regard to when to take a shot. I think several of those "outside the scoring zone" goals he's managed this season have to do with angles, timing of release and making the goalie aware of his other (passing) options before shooting.

We'll see. Maybe my eyes are telling me things that aren't there. I see a kid who is not only getting the tip ins and deflections, but also beating goalies clean with his shot and doing so from above the slot.

There's a word for a player like that: sniper. Is 30 goals at age 21 an indication of a young player about to go super nova? Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's plenty of season to go.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

As time rolls along, we'll know about Eberle,RNH and Hall. We already know lots about them but there's still a ways to go. I think the lesson of RNH and Eberle and their impressive start to the 11-12 season is that we shouldn't impose any limitations or imply greatness based on such small sample sizes.

Enjoy the scenery.

--

Nation Radio hits the air at noon today on Team 1260 at noon today. I read comments posted at both blogs, on twitter @ItsNationRadio and @lowetide_ plus we're available at nationradio@theteam1260.com Our guests:

  • Matt Bugg from dobber hockey. The prospects expert will spend time telling us about some of the Oilers kids who are emerging this season and we'll preview the WJs and the names to know in that Xmas tournament.
  • Kent Wilson from Flames Nation will help tee up the BOA tonight in Calgary. Flames are 5-4-1 in their last 10 and the Oilers are 4-5-1 in the same time frame. With the Oilers off for a long stretch after the game, it's an important contest.
  • Danny Gray from Leafs Nation will break down the sale of MLSE and how it will impact the television sports pie in this country. We'll also have a look at the parallel improvement of the Leafs and Oilers and see which path chosen appears to be working best.
  • Ryan Lambert from Two Line Pass. Ryan is a keen observer of the game and a clever fellow. We'll talk about the league in general and the BOA specifically, along with some league news over the last week.

Your input is always important hope you can listen live or via podcast.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#51 MAC962
December 10 2011, 12:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Raine wrote:

You're going to have a guy like Hemsky (WHO DOES NOT SHOOT) play on his opposite wing? A fragile player put in a power forward role on his offwing? A guy who thinks pass before shoot on his off wing to make his passing a bit more difficult?

A power forward type who is great at one timers would make sense playing his off wing, not a pansy like Hemsky.

That idea stinks.

Hemsky simply needs to go. I don't need a player sniveling saying "it's not that I don't want to shoot it's that I CAN'T shoot" because his shoulder is bothering him. A player who "CAN'T" shoot shouldn't be playing near top line minutes.

Man- i am ever on your side, as many will know. Hemsky is a quitter. No drive, one dimensional bust.

Avatar
#52 Rama Lama
December 10 2011, 12:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
MAC962 wrote:

Man- i am ever on your side, as many will know. Hemsky is a quitter. No drive, one dimensional bust.

Hey can I join your club?

Avatar
#53 Rob...
December 10 2011, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Is it too early to say Eberle >>> Kurri?

Avatar
#54 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 10 2011, 01:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Raine wrote:

Renney did say something, it was quoted in the papers.

Have you watched his shots? If he isn't trying to deke it into the net his shot looks like soft passes towards the net.

He can't shoot.

ahh.... and the TDMOTHGP the "Tri-Daily Moving Of The Hemsky Goal Posts" rears its head again! right on time too!

"a guy like Hemsky (WHO DOES NOT SHOOT)"

becomes... ok he shoots but he's "soft"

I guess you saw him crashing the net, just missing a goal in the third then? That even had Ferraro taking notice.

If that had been Jones or any other player on the team you'd be whooping it up.

I get that fans will rip players apart for underperforming, lack of effort, etc. That makes perfect sense.

And, I get the fan tendency for histrionics and hyperbole - I S&S (Squeee and Swear) with the best of them, esp. during the games.

What I don't get is the persistent and willful lack of perspective esp. in what is ostensibly post-game analysis.

The way people on here rip apart Hemsky, Jones, Gagner, Horcoff, Dubs, Peckham, etc. etc. etc. is tiresome and irrelevant.

It seems to me the only ones "snivelling" to use your term for Hemsky are a few disaffected fans.

Avatar
#55 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 10 2011, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

Having a little trouble following along?

Both Skinner and Seguin are two years younger than Eberle.

Not to take anything away from Eberle's accomplishments this season which are remarkable, but Seguin is nipping at his heels and he's 2 years younger.

And Seguin plays much tougher competition.

Funny you're going for age now, you usually cling to experience.

Avatar
#56 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 10 2011, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

ahh.... and the TDMOTHGP the "Tri-Daily Moving Of The Hemsky Goal Posts" rears its head again! right on time too!

"a guy like Hemsky (WHO DOES NOT SHOOT)"

becomes... ok he shoots but he's "soft"

I guess you saw him crashing the net, just missing a goal in the third then? That even had Ferraro taking notice.

If that had been Jones or any other player on the team you'd be whooping it up.

I get that fans will rip players apart for underperforming, lack of effort, etc. That makes perfect sense.

And, I get the fan tendency for histrionics and hyperbole - I S&S (Squeee and Swear) with the best of them, esp. during the games.

What I don't get is the persistent and willful lack of perspective esp. in what is ostensibly post-game analysis.

The way people on here rip apart Hemsky, Jones, Gagner, Horcoff, Dubs, Peckham, etc. etc. etc. is tiresome and irrelevant.

It seems to me the only ones "snivelling" to use your term for Hemsky are a few disaffected fans.

"Raine" has been trying to run Hemsky out of town for years now, I've got to give him credit though, he's very creative as he dreams up reasons to convince himself that he's actually got a case. More then likely though, Hemsky snubbed him for an autograph and he's been grinding his ax ever since.

An irrational, unresonable raving lunatic looks at Hemsky's 18 games this season and thinks its a true reflection of the guy as a player (and a person apparently) and that simply removing him from the team will make them better.

A resonable, rational person looks at his body of work and concludes that he's a top 3 forward on most teams, a top 6 on essentially all teams.

He was flying his first few games of this season, possibly the best we've ever seen him.

More then likely he's either still injured, or lost confidence in his body because of all the injuries, causing him to play tentitive.

Avatar
#57 Reggie
December 10 2011, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Having a little trouble following along?

Both Skinner and Seguin are two years younger than Eberle.

Not to take anything away from Eberle's accomplishments this season which are remarkable, but Seguin is nipping at his heels and he's 2 years younger.

And Seguin plays much tougher competition.

DSF,

Hard to understand your point when you decide to use a greater sign repeatedly >

It would mean exactly as I stated translating to the arrow as a greater sign. Since you didn't explain, that's how I would translate it.

But if you are saying that Skinner is greater than Sequin and is greater than Eberle, you should write

Skinner >>>> Sequin >>>> Eberle

And not the confusing way you wrote it.

That's the point.

Avatar
#58 nofool6110
December 10 2011, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Reggie wrote:

DSF,

Hard to understand your point when you decide to use a greater sign repeatedly >

It would mean exactly as I stated translating to the arrow as a greater sign. Since you didn't explain, that's how I would translate it.

But if you are saying that Skinner is greater than Sequin and is greater than Eberle, you should write

Skinner >>>> Sequin >>>> Eberle

And not the confusing way you wrote it.

That's the point.

LOLOL

Sequin :)

Avatar
#59 Reggie
December 10 2011, 01:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
nofool6110 wrote:

LOLOL

Sequin :)

oops ... typo ... ha ha

Avatar
#60 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
December 10 2011, 02:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rob... wrote:

Is it too early to say Eberle >>> Kurri?

NO. Most definately and unequivocably NO.*

* I'm a HUGE Kurri fan. My avatar is his HHOF plaque. Tho I guess it helps when I used to live across the hallway from Jari and his roomie( think it was Coffey) down in the south east part of the city.

Avatar
#61 DSF
December 10 2011, 02:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Funny you're going for age now, you usually cling to experience.

They're both issues but since young players don't develop in straight lines, it's impossible to know how much until after the fact.

In any case, Eberle has roughly as much experience as both Skinner and Seguin, it will be interesting to see how much difference them being two years younger makes.

Hasn't the meme around here always been "Gagner is only 22!"

Well, he's also in his fifth year and I would take Skinner or Seguin over him in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't you?

Avatar
#62 Captain Obvious
December 10 2011, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Dear Oilersnation fan,

It's ok to have more than one good player at a time. It's also ok to have three scoring lines. Three is more than two after all. When Gagner plays well that doesn't mean we have to get rid of someone else. Similarly, Hall coming back isn't a problem.

Please stop trying to run good players out of town. You wouldn't know a good player if one sat on your face.

Yours truly,

Intelligent Oiler fans everywhere

P.S. Spector is a moron. If he doesn't like Hemsky that is very strong evidence that Hemsky is a good player.

Avatar
#63 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 10 2011, 02:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

They're both issues but since young players don't develop in straight lines, it's impossible to know how much until after the fact.

In any case, Eberle has roughly as much experience as both Skinner and Seguin, it will be interesting to see how much difference them being two years younger makes.

Hasn't the meme around here always been "Gagner is only 22!"

Well, he's also in his fifth year and I would take Skinner or Seguin over him in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't you?

Irrelavant.

I'd take lots of players over Gagner, and I'd take Gagner over lots of players. Same story with Seguin and Skinner.

the only one that thinks Seguin and Skinner are relavant to various oiler youngsters is you.

Avatar
#64 DSF
December 10 2011, 03:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Of course you're right.

The Oilers' young players can't be compared to anyone.

It's not like Lowetide did that in the OP or anything (see the list).

Of course I'm sure you think that's not relavant (sic) either.

Do they still teach spelling in your school?

Avatar
#65 nofool6110
December 10 2011, 03:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Of course you're right.

The Oilers' young players can't be compared to anyone.

It's not like Lowetide did that in the OP or anything (see the list).

Of course I'm sure you think that's not relavant (sic) either.

Do they still teach spelling in your school?

http://mediacdn.snorgtees.com/media/catalog/product/i/r/irrelephant_fullpic_artwork.jpg

That is all.

Avatar
#66 Raine
December 10 2011, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

ahh.... and the TDMOTHGP the "Tri-Daily Moving Of The Hemsky Goal Posts" rears its head again! right on time too!

"a guy like Hemsky (WHO DOES NOT SHOOT)"

becomes... ok he shoots but he's "soft"

I guess you saw him crashing the net, just missing a goal in the third then? That even had Ferraro taking notice.

If that had been Jones or any other player on the team you'd be whooping it up.

I get that fans will rip players apart for underperforming, lack of effort, etc. That makes perfect sense.

And, I get the fan tendency for histrionics and hyperbole - I S&S (Squeee and Swear) with the best of them, esp. during the games.

What I don't get is the persistent and willful lack of perspective esp. in what is ostensibly post-game analysis.

The way people on here rip apart Hemsky, Jones, Gagner, Horcoff, Dubs, Peckham, etc. etc. etc. is tiresome and irrelevant.

It seems to me the only ones "snivelling" to use your term for Hemsky are a few disaffected fans.

Any half wit would know my statement "(WHO DOES NOT SHOOT)" is figuratively speaking. I am not firmly stating that Hemsky doesn't take a single shot, it's referring to the fact he doesn't shoot often enough.

Don't twist figurative speech into literal speech.

Avatar
#67 Raine
December 10 2011, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

"Raine" has been trying to run Hemsky out of town for years now, I've got to give him credit though, he's very creative as he dreams up reasons to convince himself that he's actually got a case. More then likely though, Hemsky snubbed him for an autograph and he's been grinding his ax ever since.

An irrational, unresonable raving lunatic looks at Hemsky's 18 games this season and thinks its a true reflection of the guy as a player (and a person apparently) and that simply removing him from the team will make them better.

A resonable, rational person looks at his body of work and concludes that he's a top 3 forward on most teams, a top 6 on essentially all teams.

He was flying his first few games of this season, possibly the best we've ever seen him.

More then likely he's either still injured, or lost confidence in his body because of all the injuries, causing him to play tentitive.

Ok Zombie from Hockeybuzz. At least I got balls to use a single username around the Oilogosphere where you have a new and different user name for each and every website.

I also have balls to stick with my thoughts rather than back peddling every single game. You aren't going to see me have a bi-polar event from game to game.

Would you rather I jump on the Hemsky bandwagon after a good outing and than bombard his ass after a poor performance?

Avatar
#68 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 10 2011, 03:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Raine wrote:

Any half wit would know my statement "(WHO DOES NOT SHOOT)" is figuratively speaking. I am not firmly stating that Hemsky doesn't take a single shot, it's referring to the fact he doesn't shoot often enough.

Don't twist figurative speech into literal speech.

Thanks for calling me a half-wit! Any amount of wit is better than none!

Of course it was figurative. I got that. What in my post makes you think otherwise?

Go back and read my original response to you after you said (figuratively): "[Hemsky] DOES NOT SHOOT"

I said:

I encourage you to look at Hemsky's shot total over the last 5 games. It is clear that Renney said something to him and he's stepped it up - give credit where due.

Instead of doing that... you changed your tune (he's soft)... now your claiming I misunderstand your complex, tropological use of language... And, your back to your original point, but in an unalloyed language.

you say:

"he doesn't shoot often enough"

ok... again... please look it up! you can't back that statement up with the stats!

Here they are:

avs: 3rd most on team (3shots); canes: 1st on team (4shots); flames: 3rd most on team (3shots); bjs: 2nd most on team (5shots); wild: 3rd most on team (3shots)

so... what's next? let the shifting rationale of the "Hemsky is terrible" crew shift once again!

Avatar
#69 jr_christ
December 10 2011, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Haha, Oh DSF...

No one CARES what you think about Skinner. RNH is younger than EVERYONE you are mentioning and he is better. CASE CLOSED.

Avatar
#71 Rama Lama
December 10 2011, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

"Raine" has been trying to run Hemsky out of town for years now, I've got to give him credit though, he's very creative as he dreams up reasons to convince himself that he's actually got a case. More then likely though, Hemsky snubbed him for an autograph and he's been grinding his ax ever since.

An irrational, unresonable raving lunatic looks at Hemsky's 18 games this season and thinks its a true reflection of the guy as a player (and a person apparently) and that simply removing him from the team will make them better.

A resonable, rational person looks at his body of work and concludes that he's a top 3 forward on most teams, a top 6 on essentially all teams.

He was flying his first few games of this season, possibly the best we've ever seen him.

More then likely he's either still injured, or lost confidence in his body because of all the injuries, causing him to play tentitive.

Why do you defend him so much? Is he sleeping with your sister or what?

Listen, Hemsky's worst enemy is Hemsky himself.........if you truly love him set him free and let's see what he does for another team. He could probably use a fresh start somewhere and sign a no shoot contract that stipulates he only dangles, deeks, and passes........but only when he feels like it.

I think he would be a perfect fit for Washington........they have lots of players just like him.

Avatar
#72 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 10 2011, 05:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Raine wrote:

Ok Zombie from Hockeybuzz. At least I got balls to use a single username around the Oilogosphere where you have a new and different user name for each and every website.

I also have balls to stick with my thoughts rather than back peddling every single game. You aren't going to see me have a bi-polar event from game to game.

Would you rather I jump on the Hemsky bandwagon after a good outing and than bombard his ass after a poor performance?

Haha - ya that's really brave of you to use the same name, bravo on the "balls". You do get props for maintaining your stance, the flip flopped are certainly annoying too. Unfortunately you lose all those props by being so off base. Oh and last time I seen you on HB I don't believe you were going by "raine" ... Maybe you aren't as "ballsy" as you think.

Avatar
#73 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 10 2011, 05:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rama Lama wrote:

Why do you defend him so much? Is he sleeping with your sister or what?

Listen, Hemsky's worst enemy is Hemsky himself.........if you truly love him set him free and let's see what he does for another team. He could probably use a fresh start somewhere and sign a no shoot contract that stipulates he only dangles, deeks, and passes........but only when he feels like it.

I think he would be a perfect fit for Washington........they have lots of players just like him.

I "defend" him, because he''s probably a top 30 forward in the league ... Certainly a top 60, yet theirs a handful of people that seem to think he's a liability.

Avatar
#74 keilan
December 10 2011, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hey Lowetide

You wrote: However, chemistry plays a big part in these things and "RNH to Eberle" may one day become as famous a phrase as well, certainly as famous as Weight-to-Smyth.

Weight-to-Smyth are you serious, what have either one of this guys ever won? The Edmonton media loved this guy for whatever reason but he was like most American hockey players – not very good when it mattered!! Smyth is called “Capitan Canuck” for a reason – he was always available at the end of the 82 game schedule.

RNH is possibly the best 18 yo to come along in the past 30 years. I watched Gretsky when he broke into the league and he didn’t do some of the things RNH does. Eberle can actually shoot a puck – so any comparison to Smyth says a lot about your hockey knowledge………

I said it at the beginning of the year and I’ll say it again after 30 games in.. The Oilers weakest link is the veteran core group Smyth – Horc – Hemsky. The Oilers will not contend seriously until these guys are gone.

Avatar
#75 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 10 2011, 09:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
keilan wrote:

Hey Lowetide

You wrote: However, chemistry plays a big part in these things and "RNH to Eberle" may one day become as famous a phrase as well, certainly as famous as Weight-to-Smyth.

Weight-to-Smyth are you serious, what have either one of this guys ever won? The Edmonton media loved this guy for whatever reason but he was like most American hockey players – not very good when it mattered!! Smyth is called “Capitan Canuck” for a reason – he was always available at the end of the 82 game schedule.

RNH is possibly the best 18 yo to come along in the past 30 years. I watched Gretsky when he broke into the league and he didn’t do some of the things RNH does. Eberle can actually shoot a puck – so any comparison to Smyth says a lot about your hockey knowledge………

I said it at the beginning of the year and I’ll say it again after 30 games in.. The Oilers weakest link is the veteran core group Smyth – Horc – Hemsky. The Oilers will not contend seriously until these guys are gone.

I'd love to hear how many 2nd lines you think are better then hemsky/horc/smyth

Avatar
#76 keilan
December 10 2011, 11:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'd love to hear how many 2nd lines you think are better then hemsky/horc/smyth

Maybe you didn’t see the game tonight? Did any of those three musketeers throw a hit tonight other then Smyth’s cross-check from behind in the last minute?

1) Which other Captain in the NHL is a lesser player/leader then Horcoff – name some! 2) Smyth wasn’t that good when he was here the first time, take a look at their record during his time here. Just because the guy bleeds blue and gold doesn’t make him the 2nd coming – he’s so good that he played on 3 other teams after leaving here.. Other teams spoke by moving him!! 3) Hemsky is sooo good the Oilers can’t get anything for him – he will be gone before the year is out!

The only reason we’re stuck with Horc is the other 29 GM’s won’t take on his salary – you know why that is right!

Smyth might get another contract done because he sells tickets, yes there are people here who think he’s special. He’s playing for a job next year – if the Oil don’t sign him he’s done!

If you want to back Hemsky be my guest – I’d take Ryan Jones over any of those three today

Avatar
#77 keilan
December 10 2011, 11:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'd love to hear how many 2nd lines you think are better then hemsky/horc/smyth

Better 2nd line – here’s two

Paajarvi – Hall - Jones

Eager – Lander – Petrell

Head-to-head my monies on these guys, they’d hit and check your boys and score at will afterwards……

Comments are closed for this article.