Merry Christmas

Lowetide
December 24 2011 09:25AM

We all celebrate Christmas in our own unique ways.

Top 10 Moments from It's A Wonderful Life:

• Old man on porch: "oh, youth is wasted on all the wrong people."
  • Bartender: "I don't know you from Adam's OFF-OX!"
  • James Stewart: "don't you know me Bert?"
  • James Stewart: "Ah, why did we have to have all these kids anyway?"
  • Mary's Mom: "GEORGE BAILEY! WHAT DOES HE WANT?"
  • James Stewart: "Clarence, are you off your nut?"
  • "Dear George, remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings, Love Clarence."~
  • James Stewart: "Where's that money, you silly stupid old fool? Where's that money? Do you realize what this means? It means bankruptcy and scandal and prison! That's what it means! One of us is going to jail... well, it's not gonna be me!'
  • Bartender: "Hey look, mister. We serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don't need any characters around to give the joint "atmosphere". Is that clear, or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?"
  • James Stewart: "Ha, ha, ha, ha! My mouth's bleeding, Bert! My mouth's bleeding! Zuzu's petals... Zuzu... "

When I was a kid, we didn't have Christmas at our house. Now, don't go feeling bad about it, my parents were terrific people and my childhood was terrific. We were Jehovah's Witnesses, and they don't celebrate Christmas. So I enjoyed Christmas through things like "Charlie Brown Christmas" and "It's A Wonderful Life" and the Christmases I've enjoyed since meeting my wife (who is a Christmas dynamo, it's like she's making up for my lost time) have more than made up for the Christmases of my childhood.

And of course my children make Christmas special in a way that I couldn't have imagined. I get sentimental these Christmastimes because the kids are older and tonight there are no trains or Lego Island or kitchens to put together.

But, we'll play Trivial Pursuit, Texas hold 'em and watch "It's A Wonderful Life.' I don't know how many December 25ths we have left before the kids fly the coop, but I'm going to savor them. It's that damn Joni Mitchell song all over again.

Nation Radio hits the airwaves at noon Edmonton time on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Peter Loubardias from Future Considerations and other parts of the hockey world. Peter is to junior hockey as the internet is to everything else: an exceptional source and a must read.
    • Jason Gregor from the Jason Gregor show. I'll ask him about all those helping hands leading up to Christmas and we'll discuss the Oilers and what happens from here through the trade deadline.
    • Kent Wilson from Flames Nation. Kent will give us the latest on a very nice run by the Flames and we'll discuss Iginla's march toward goal number 500.
    • Corey Pronman from Hockey Prospectus. Corey will give us the inside scoop on the draft eligibles at this year's World Juniors.
    • Aaron Vickers from Future Considerations. I'll ask him to give us an overview of the tournament and the favorites to play in the gold medal game.

There are also some irons in the water for other guests as we set the stage for this year's WJ's. Please feel free to email nationradio@theteam1260.com or you can post in the comments section below. I also check ItsNationRadio and I'm at @Lowetide_ as well.

Merry Christmas. I want to wish you and your family the best of the season.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Colin
December 24 2011, 09:28AM

Not today.

My kids are relatively small, so it's a crazy amount of presents which are quickly ignored in favour of the next one. Fully 2 thirds of these toys will never be played with ever again. What can I say?, the grandparents spoil them. I don't think I'd mind a more mature christmas at this point....

#2 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
December 24 2011, 09:40AM

A Merry Christmas

to all. Happy New Year too.

Please don't drink and drive.

#3 Walter Sobchak
December 24 2011, 09:58AM

Merry Christmas Nation readers!

I'm really pumped for this Christmas! it's the first Christmas off in a long time.

#4 I tried it at home
December 24 2011, 10:03AM

Just to get past all the sentimental stuff... um, in that first picture, where's her right hand?? Ok, Merry Christmas everybody :)

#5 TigerUnderGlass
December 24 2011, 10:05AM

We have a brand new baby in the house (9 days) and this morning we discovered that our other kids are expecting to go to the mall to shop for presents for her.

Nothing worse than the mall on Christmas eve.

#7 TigerUnderGlass
December 24 2011, 10:14AM
Lowetide wrote:

I walk amok: OMG you've tarnished Donna Reed! I didn't think it was possible! Well done! :-)

TUG: May the force be with you!

It's especially bad because my 3 year old son makes normal 3 year old boys look calm and attentive. Last time we went to the mall he jumped a 6 year old kid for the reason that "he was looking at me like he wanted to fight".

It must be that "living in the prairies makes you fighters" effect.

#9 a lg dubl dubl
December 24 2011, 11:06AM

Merry Christmas!! I love watching the kids expressions when they open thier gifts, and spending time with the people that matter the most.

All the best in the New Year to all here in ON land, keep drinking the Oiler kool-aid*

*don't drink and drive

#10 Wanyes bastard child
December 24 2011, 11:20AM
I tried it at home wrote:

Well the dude does have a good smile on his face eh...

Merry Christmas everyone and a happy new years :)

#11 I tried it at home
December 24 2011, 01:00PM

why doesnt the Oilers ever do something like this? It would be so cool to see them give the fans something to snicker at besides bland interviews and sweaty mullets :)

#12 Michael
December 24 2011, 04:01PM

For me its all about The Sound Of Music. I could probably repeat the entire script verbatim. 46 years young and I still love seeing Julie Andrews singing all those great songs. Doe a deer,a female deer,Fa a long long way to run.....

michael

#13 RexLibris
December 24 2011, 04:09PM

Merry Christmas to all the Nations. Even Canucks fans.

Santa Claus coming to town (e5).

More to come...

#14 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
December 24 2011, 04:19PM
Michael wrote:

michael

Michael, try this version.

Doh, I think i need a beer

Ray will you please get me one

Me, this beer I'll drink myself

Fa-ll for Hall it has been done

So, I'll have another beer

La, La-La-La-La- Beer

Ti, No thanks I'm drinking beer

Doh, It's empty, I need another beer-beer-beer-beer. EDIT: I'm not dissing Julie Andrews, or TSOM. One of my fave movies of all time...so long, farewell,auf wiedersein good bye

#15 Gerald R. Ford
December 24 2011, 04:20PM

I love IAWL. I think 'Lost Horizon' is Capra's best, though. "George Bailey, I'll love you 'til the day I die." is the sweetest part. *sniff*

Yer President is a softie.

Merry Christmas, Nation. I give you the gift of Renee Olstead, the hottest yuletide caroler ever.

#16 D
December 24 2011, 05:48PM

Merry Christmas everyone. Thank you for a great year of writing LT.

#17 Shane
December 25 2011, 08:30AM

Merry Christmas.. "this is a very interesting situation!"

#18 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 25 2011, 01:28PM

Merry Merry ON!!!

I hope you all got giant tvs and Oiler Jerseys commemorating the greats of the past!