GIMME SHELTER

Lowetide
December 04 2011 11:48AM

Lots of anger on the internet today over last night's loss to Calgary. I would like to offer a somewhat opposing view to what has been written so far.

The best news for this fan last night was Taylor Hall's recovery timeline. Hall makes a practice of scaring the daylights out of us and then returning quickly (I'll always remember the Mem Cup broken neck play and the goal minutes later), and apparently he's miles ahead of schedule.

Here are some other observations:

• The Calgary Flames are a much better team than the standings indicate. Although not playing consistently, the Flames have made some important moves (Comeau) and are getting stellar play from some important men (JayBo, Kipper) in the lineup.Bouwmeester played 30 minutes last night against the best Edmonton can offer.
  • The second game in as many nights is a tough item for any NHL team, even if both games are at home.

• Sam Gagner had his best game this season. If Samwise can get rolling while Hall is out and then find some chem with two of the bottom 6 forwards on a third line this team should get scoring from three lines from here on out. They have the talent.
  • This was a winnable game. Coach Renney's line matching decisions combined with some rookie errors meant the third period was more sad than glad. The Oilers were in the game entering the third period, something that's been a trend for quite some time.
  • Ryan Whitney isn't going to be a go-to option against the toughs for some time.
  • Oilers goaltending doesn't steal games like it did early in the season.
  • The powerplay died last night. Edmonton had been very effective with the man advantage but the Flames were exceptional, in fact I don't think any of the PPs saw many breakdowns at all. Seriously. The best opportunities all night came when two forwards were a hair late into the zone. But once there, it was textbook and CGY's PK men were on their game all night long.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Sometimes you have to give the other man his due. When Michael Douglas was 56 years old, he married 31 year old Catherine Zeta-Jones. What are you going to do? I mean holy crap, that's pretty impressive. Tip your hat, move on.

There are some things to be learned. Coach Renney was manhandled by my eye and never did find a way to either stop the 2 CGY lines that were going or get his 2 scoring lines loose. In fairness, that 4th line must have snuck out on the ice in the third period when he wasn't looking, and the kid Petry had some tough moments.

Either way, it's a loss and they've been doing that a lot lately. However, I'm less upset about this one than the Minny game where they had a 2-0 lead and found a way to blow it. Last night's game was 2 in 2 nights and Calgary wasn't exactly lying back and thinking of England.

Last night the winderkid was just averagekid, the coach got his show run, the goaltending was not spectacular and the PP was noxious. Plus some rookies looked rookieie (is that a word? should be). If it were a country song it might be "Tonight the bottle let me down" but as a hockey game it serves as an education. For a few member of the Oiler organization.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Quicksilver ballet
December 04 2011, 05:01PM

Enter anti Flame slogan here....

#52 Slats
December 04 2011, 05:15PM

@VK63

and @Robin Brownlee

What you did not have to go back in time for a PP days of old was Hemsky half wall pass to the point and return pass then have the wide open lane for shot, pause return pass to dman intercept - send puck 200 ft, puke, repeat

I love the guy but man just take a quick low shot . . .once . . . please . . .

#53 Slats
December 04 2011, 05:20PM
freewheeling wrote:

Our d needs some serious upgrading .Sutton is a 6th or 7th d.Peckham needs more time in OKC.Both are far to slow.Whitney has looked very ordinary.The kids are still 2 to 3 years away.We miss Potter big time.Might be time to go big fish hunting.Size up front is still an issue

I agree Theo - wow did he look out a place numerous times. If there is ever a guy that has to keep his feet moving it's him. Get me Steve Staois at least we'd have some grit.

* Edit - that was a panic request for Staois

#54 Slats
December 04 2011, 05:34PM

LT a great snapshot of the team.

I would also add:

- Why is Ryan Smyth taking such bad penalties in critical times? (that's 2G back to back 1 contributed to a loss the other almost did) - Why are the D really falling back into the goalie? earlier in the year they were pressing up forcing opposing forwards to make a hockey play (see the Iggie-Smith goal Iggie had way too much time and space) - Never give the Flames that much respect ever - Next time Bo-Bo slashes/x-checks your Captain to the ground with no-call someone needs to take him to the woodshed! (inexcusable Coach Renney he's only out there 30 minutes in the game and no one holds him accountable - what if Smid had done that to Iggie?)

#55 JDP
December 04 2011, 05:55PM

I can't believe all this hype for Sam gagner. I was at the flames game and he does not have the legs to skate on this team. He can't even keep up with smitty and horcs. Give Magnus a chance and forget about Sam.

#56 book¡e
December 04 2011, 07:11PM

ok - For those born this side of 1960 and/or the Atlantic Ocean - here you go (From Wikipedia).

"Lie back and think of England" is an English saying with roughly the same meaning as "grit one's teeth", i.e. put up with what is happening, though this comparison is complicated by the statement's seemingly sexual undertone. It was used both in England and among expatriates outside the country when conditions were difficult.[1] It is given as encouragement to do something unpalatable.

Etymology

The origins of the phrase are not clear. According to one urban legend, "lie back and think of England" was an instruction given to brides or women in general in the Victorian Era regarding how to cope with the sexual demands of their husbands. While childbearing was considered a patriotic duty, women were not supposed to enjoy sexual intercourse, and brides in particular would have been ignorant of the facts thereabout. One version of this legend has it that Queen Victoria gave this instruction to her daughter on her wedding night. According to other, perhaps less reliable, urban legends,[2] the phrase originated in the diary of Lady Alice Hillingdon (1857–1940) in 1912[1]: I am happy now that George calls on my bedchamber less frequently than of old. As it is, I now endure but two calls a week, and when I hear his steps outside my door I lie down on my bed, close my eyes, open my legs, and think of England.[3]

#57 Mark Loewen
December 04 2011, 07:22PM

You know its sometimes in games like this one that I wonder.. Maybe one of our so called veteran superstars could step up and show us what character and talent put together can achieve? But Nope. Hemsky's gotta go before the trade deadline... Well unless you can sign him to 3 Mill/Per. But that aint happenin. Here's 1 fan hoping it happens.

#58 Biowolf
December 04 2011, 10:16PM

Sutter 10 Renney 0. Nough said.

#59 knobby
December 04 2011, 10:33PM

Any coach who plays Belanger on the PP shows a lack of touch with reality. I think the cheese has finally slipped off Renney's cracker altogether.

Am I the only person who is getting increasingly fed up with Renney's gobble-de-gook happy talk after games. Whether he is talking about a win or a loss his jabber doesn't make sense.

#60 Oilcruzer
December 05 2011, 12:13AM

meh

Win Some, (that you should lose) Lose Some (that you should win)

Who's next?

#61 andrewmk20
December 05 2011, 01:38AM

@Slats

If you both are talking about that goal that tied the game at 3 then it wasn't about footspeed. It was about a 2 dmen who should have been communicating. Both Sutton and Peckham took the guy in the middle and let Derek Smith get a clear look. They both looked really confused about who to take but they shouldn't have been. I believe it was Ryan O'Marra who was backchecking and he had the Flame to the far right covered which meant that both Peckham and Sutton should have taken their men but they played it like a 3 on 2 and both of them played the middle. That goal was definitely frustrating because there were numerous defensive miscues. But I don't agree about the Sutton thing. While Peckham has been up and down quite a bit Sutton has been solid and is exactly what he should be in the NHL, a third pairing defenceman. But he should be paired up with someone much more mobile than Peckham. So I do agree with the majority of the posters that the Oilers need to look at acquiring a defenceman.

#62 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 05 2011, 08:07AM
knobby wrote:

Dave Tippet played Belanger on the PP a fair amount... I'm thinking he's a pretty solid coach.

#63 Rob...
December 05 2011, 09:25AM

Can one of you hockey gurus comment on why so many Oilers were tossed from the faceoff circle well before the flamer had set their stick for the faceoff?

#64 5Cups
December 05 2011, 10:23AM

I think it may be time to pull the trigger on a trade, thats if Tambo has been working on one, for some D.

The Oil have the parts to get a deal done.

Living in CGY and having to come to work and listen to this BS is getting old. Good thing the nuckleheads slapped the flames back to reality or it would have been a terrible week.

#65 5Cups
December 05 2011, 10:25AM

They were getting tosses because the linesman felt the wingers were pinching in, for the most part.

Can anyone comment as to why the Flames got away with 8 men on the ice? That lead to a goal.

The oil get called for too many men on a nightly basis!

#66 Rob...
December 05 2011, 11:18AM

@5Cups

Thanks for the explanation. Standard cheating practice but overzealous linesmen, or another example of poor Oiler's discipline during the game?

#67 Smokey
December 05 2011, 03:23PM

Oil`s problem is getting the puck out. They are starting to play more uptempo, and we are starting to see the strech pass more, but the puck is looking a timebomb in the Oilers zone. That with bad line changes is why they loss to Calgary. The Oil gave Calgary the game saturday, pissed me off....

#68 Jodes
December 05 2011, 06:27PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

But was Belanger on the point when he played on the PP in Phoenix?

#69 5Cups
December 05 2011, 09:22PM

@Rob...

Its a usual practice to try and cheat. I was watching on TV so I am not really able to comment on how much they were cheating. My best guess would be a bot of both: overzealous linesman and some guys pushing his buttons.

#70 The Buzz Bear
December 06 2011, 08:05AM

Michael Douglas marrying Catherine Zeta Jones? More like Michael Jackson Marrying........I don't think I should go there.

#71 The Buzz Bear