The Gods Must be Crazy (Trade Deadline Primer #2)

Lowetide
February 01 2011 06:11PM

I had a trade deadline post ready to go tonight, but Zack Stortini was part of it. Oh well. I'll include him in anyway, as there's a chance he'll be in the organization come the deadline. When it comes to this deadline, the Oilers are extremely likely to do the same thing they did a year ago: flush blue.

As we discussed in the first trade deadline primer (found here), the Oilers traded four defensemen while acquiring two one year ago. Let's list the deals again:

• March 1: D Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville for their 2nd rd pick. Stu MacGregor turned that into Curtis Hamilton.
  • March 2: D Cody Wild to Boston for F Matt Marquardt.
  • March 3: D Lubo Visnovsky to Anaheim for D Ryan Whitney and a 6th rd pick in 2010. MBS turned that selection into Brandon Davidson.
  • March 3: D Steve Staios to Calgary for D Aaron Johnson and 2011 3rd rd pick.

The Oilers dealt Grebeshkov and Staios for picks, Wild for a depth minor leaguer and made an actual hockey trade with Anaheim. One of the things that always surprises me at the deadline is the enormous value veteran defensemen hold. We watch them all season and know their every weakness, but the fact remains that smart hockey men stockpile them every deadline. Why? A couple of reasons: young defensemen can kill you when the games get tight, and defensemen get hurt a lot. Remember when the Oilers dealt for Tarnstrom and Spacek near the deadline 2006? They needed them for the run, and that's for sure.

Nothing more losery than blogging about trades that haven't happened yet, but I think there's a chance Steve Tambellini pulls the trigger on a couple of surprising deals. From what we read this is a deep draft and we also know that the organization has done well by adding bullets for Stu (Magnificent Bastard) MacGregor's gun. With that in mind, here's my list (from most to least valuable) and a guess at the return. Feel free to disagree, I'm certainly no expert on the subject of trades.

UNLIKELY TO MOVE

1. Dustin Penner: If the Oilers are convinced Penner won't sign for a good number, this might be the time to deal him. Penner is having a good season, he's healthy and it isn't beyond reasonable for another team to believe he can help them go deep this spring. Return: A very good young player in his entry level contract or an outstanding prospect, plus a pick.
  2. Ales Hemsky: Because of the injuries, I think 83's value may be a little lower than Penner's this year. It's a good reason to keep him, but the other consideration is that he may have extreme value for a team looking for exactly this player type (and the LA Kings are a candidate). Return: Same as Penner's, perhaps a little less due to injury concerns.

AVAILABLE FOR THE RIGHT RETURN

1. Ladislav Smid: With the development of both Peckham and Petry, Smid once again finds himself on the outskirts of the top 4D in Edmonton. A team looking for a veteran will like his youth, his wheels and his toughness after the whistle. He's inconsistent, but healthy and at the very least should be a dependable addition to any blueline for years to come. Return: A high 2nd rd pick, say 35-50.
  2. Andrew Cogliano: Speedster has improved his play this season and gained the coach's confidence in several areas. An NHL team looking for some secondary scoring and perhaps an extra hand on the PK might make the investment. Return: Oilers would probably be better off getting a bullet for Stu in return, as they have a plethora of young forwards pushing for playing time.
  3. Ryan Jones: Has a shot at 20 goals and plays with a lot of energy. A team looking for some scoring punch without having to give up a lot for him might see Jones as a solid option. Return: A pick somewhere in the top 100, say late 2nd or early 3rd rd selection.

AVAILABLE

1. Kurtis Foster: Despite having a poor season in Edmonton, his 5x4 resume is obvious and he's 3-5-8 on a terrible PP in Edmonton. A team looking for an inexpensive option for that position (PP shooter) might see Foster as an attractive option. Return: Because there's another year on the contract, I'll say a mid-to-late 3rd rd selection.
  2. Jim Vandermeer: Laugh all you want, I bet he gets a solid return. Vandermeer is exactly the kind of plodding defender that NHL teams grab at the deadline. Why? He's a free agent, he can sit for weeks without bitching and you can insert him into the lineup at a moment's notice and pretty much know what you'll get. That has value. Return: Identical to the Foster return, mid-to-late 3rd rd selection.

Really, really available

1. Zack Stortini: Seems ridiculous now, but this is where I slotted him and there's no sense changing it now. I think Stortini might have some value to a team looking for a low event winger with some size who can play a few minutes a night and add some grit. I understand he doesn't belong on the list and may not be an Oiler tomorrow, but suspect he has some value. ST would have shopped him, so there's not likely a lot of interest now. But, things can change in a couple of weeks. Return: A pick in the 130-140 range.
  2. Martin Gerber: Minor leaguer is nice insurance for an NHL team with health or performance issues at the NHL level. Return: A pick in the 170-180 range.
  3. Gilbert BruleHe's falling so quickly I'm not sure he's going to play again this season. Rumors about flu and other ailments remind some of us of the "Raffi Torres is missing" period where no one even bothered to ask about the rugged LW. Return: A late round pick. Seriously.

One more deadline update before Feb 28.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#2 Robin Brownlee
February 02 2011, 02:55PM

@Ender

We don't need a poll.

As gracious as LT was in his response, he need not turn the other cheek for the kind of mindless crap this HBMW is shovelling his way now and has directed at others in the past. Troll? Nutbar? Doing it for laughs? I don't care what the motivation is. Isn't going to happen. No way.

HBMW, whoever you are, adios. You're done here.

#3 Steve Smith
February 02 2011, 10:41AM

I think my favourite part of this thread is that you have people saying "Boy, it turns out that we really should have moved Brule last summer when his value was high. Mea culpa." immediately followed by people saying "Trade Ryan Jones? Are you crazy?"

#4 john
February 01 2011, 09:21PM

This was the rest of my comment that got eaten: $6M for a half-way decent 3rd line is exactly what the Oilers are going to need to have in order to keep their big guns in the top 6 F and top 4 D.

Why wouldn't the Oilers let them develop with the same patience they're showing the other kids?

Trading any of these guys for 2nd and 3rd round picks makes no sense to me for a team that's desperately looking to be competitive next year.

If they're realistically thinking about moving Hemsky, I'd be targeting Goligoski in Pittsburgh, Stafford in Buffalo or Schenn in LA (key pieces of deals, not straight up of course).

If they're even considering moving Penner it better be because he's been clear with management that he won't resign here. He's a fundamental piece of the top 6 of this team and an immensely difficult skill set to replace.

#5 book¡e
February 02 2011, 08:04AM

@Aleslav Smidsky

H B M W - perhaps you simply don't have the capacity to 'get it'. I see the same thing a lot with people who write off great film makers and writers, or people who write off other cultures and places as 'stupid'. It comes down to a narrow set of parameters based upon your own limitations to comprehend and appreciate diverse approaches to writing.

LT's own site attracts a lot of very established individuals both in terms of hockey knowledge and 'overachievers' in the real world. I suspect that many are very discretionary in what they spend their time reading, and they choose to read LT.

#6 Jonathan Willis
February 02 2011, 08:51AM

For the record:

HansBaurMesserschmittWatson has been banned here previously for his generally abusive tone. Given H B M W's comments and username, I don't think it's a leap to conclude they're the same person. I'd advise people not to take him too seriously.

#7 Ender
February 02 2011, 02:15PM

H B M W wrote:

You are a InDepth Eklund. Your articles never hold no weight and usually make no sense or have a purpose. I think the people at the top of the ON pyramid feed you so you'd feed the people this nonsense. They probably text you to put something together on days they have nothing and need trafic. There is no purpose or reason for this article, nor does it offer any insight. The people in charge should give your articles and space to guest writers or something as such. I'm not trying to hate on you, I'm just being honest. I'm sure you knew not everyone would like that nonsense when you wrote it, so don't let it bother you ego.

Jonathan Willis wrote:

For the record:

David S wrote:

I know it's a troll and that feeding it only makes it stronger, but sometimes you just have to hold something up to the light for a second to expose it for what it is.

H B M W aka HansBaurMesserschmittWatson aka Kip Drodry has an opinion. He says that he is allowed to have it, and that's true. He also says that he's allowed to post it on a public forum and represent that opinion as fact even though it says hurtful things about someone else, and that's not necessarily true.

To say "I don't understand the point of LT's articles" might be a valid statement. To say "Your articles never hold no weight and usually make no sense or have a purpose" is wrong in so many ways that I leave it to others to go over them all in their own mind. The real indicator of 'right' and 'wrong' here is who looks dumber after the statement has been posted: LT, or whatever-he's-calling-himself-today.

If there was a poll question today regarding which of the two the site would be better off without, I don't think the vote would be close.

Nice article, LT.

#8 David S
February 01 2011, 06:12PM

I'd hate to see Andrew get shipped off. He's really come to the plate by changing his game.

#10 Shaun Doe
February 02 2011, 07:58AM
Lowetide wrote:

I appreciate your honesty, and I see your point of view. If you're reading my posts there won't be any breaking news or anything like it.

I offer my opinion as a fan, and not everyone is going to enjoy it. I can say that in my time at ON that a request has been made for me to post a game day thread twice. Both times it was a request from Jason Gregor.

I'm having a blast posting here, but your idea of guest writers is a good one and I'll pass it along. My contract with ON is for two years, and then we'll review.

I encourage you to make your views known to them (as you have here) as it will no doubt have some impact come renewal time.

All the best.

Props just don't do this post justice LT. The patience, humility and poise that it too to respond in such a manner were not lost on me or others (I hope). You've willingly placed yourself in the public eye and in doing such opened yourself to praise as well as ridicule. You could have taken several roads when adressing that post and you chose the road less travelled. I applaud you, take that for whatever it is, if anything at all.

#11 Quicksilver ballet
February 02 2011, 09:52AM

Thought we could use a little poetry to lighten the mood here on gameday.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, beat a man with a fish and he'll stop asking you for food.

#12 John Chambers
February 01 2011, 07:22PM

Nothin's more losery than blogging about trades that haven't happened yet? Well I guess I took my loser pills this morning, showered using loser gel, put on my 3-piece losersuit with navy and loser-grey tie, and dreampt up a deal that saw Hemsky and Smid get dealt to the Capitals for Michael Neuvirth and Karl Alzner.

#13 The Beaker
February 01 2011, 08:52PM

What's the point in trading Jones for a late second/early third pick? For that price, just keep him. He's a piece that can be kept moving forward. At some point you have to stop stockpiling picks and start solidifying pieces. Jones works as a piece, we have lots of you talent coming up and theres sure to me more with this draft.

I say they really should be too active in just selling of players at the deadline. They should be VERY active this summer.

#14 BarryS
February 01 2011, 09:10PM

@The Beaker

Of course you assume the players you call junk would be tradeable. It takes two to make a deal and the past says not to many teams/players want to make significant deals with the Oilers at the moment.

To sell up you need someone to want what you want to sell. To buy, you need someone to wants to sell to you at a price you can afford. At the moment, I don't see either.

We have by turns both overvalued and undervalued the assets you want to trade. Most trades at the moment seem to be for draft choices which do not help in the near turn. As for those coming up, they aren't here yet so clearing room is foolish until they prove ready. We still need a full compliement of bodies on the roster until there are actual replacements here.

As for free agents, not many good ones will come here for a couple more years until the team is better.

#15 john
February 01 2011, 09:19PM

Jones, Cogliano and Reddox have the makings of exactly what this team will need in two and three years time:

Good PKers and a decent shutdown 3rd line who can score quickly off turnovers. Best part about these guys is none of them are looking like they're going to be more than $2M players at any time in their careers.

#16 Buchie's Heroes
February 02 2011, 01:41AM

Nice post LT - amazing how Nabby, Strudwick, Fraser, and MacIntyre have landed in the unmovable pile, just shows how little talent is on this team right now. I think your return projections are all spot on, especially on how veteran D-Men are always tempting for playoff-pushing GMs. Thus, I hope Tambo can find some inexperienced GM willing to overspend for insurance (Gillis, Nieuwendyk, Gauthier - I'm looking at you) and get MBS some "bullets". IMO Vandermeer, Foster, Jones, and Fraser (if we can) gotta be moved at the deadline. Jones is your obvious sell high option; the others are preventing natural paths for kids to move in. Make it happen ST.

#17 Oilcruzer
February 02 2011, 06:50AM

A man says things face to face. A person cutting up people behind a keyboard, from an anonymous location, behind a fictional name, is much, much less than a man in my eyes.

LT's blogs are enjoyed by many. They promote discussion.

#18 blue31
February 02 2011, 08:20AM

HBMW Is someone forcing you to read lowetide's columns? If you don't like them, DON'T READ THE DAMN THINGS!!!

His writing has a helluva lot more insight and thought than yours.

#19 MattL
February 02 2011, 08:41AM

@Aleslav Smidsky

Lucky for you, internet publishing is free and easy, so there's nothing stopping you from writing an interesting hockey blog. I'll set it up for you if you'd like.

Do you go to equestrian blogs and tell them that they're boring and that no one cares what they think about horseback rideing?

#20 stevezie
February 02 2011, 08:45AM

I didn't read this article looksing for insider facts, I wanted informed discussion, like I'd have with my buddies if I still lived in Edmonton. I'm happy with the results.
I'm not a Foster fan, but I think his trade value is even lower than his real value, so I say keep him. If he spends the next years a a fifth defenceman and pp guy, I think that's worth a thrid round draft pick. Of course this changes is Plante or Petry etc. make the leap, but they haven't.

#21 Mike Modano's Dog
February 02 2011, 09:28AM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

You are a InDepth Eklund.

Your articles never hold no weight and usually make no sense or have a purpose.

First of all, sir, you said his articles never hold no weight and usually make no sense or have a purpose. If they 'never' do then that means they do. Something I'd have thought you would have learned in grade two or three...I'm not sure why you didn't then and I'm not sure why you would write this entire offensive reply now.

Saying the people in charge only ask him for articles when they can't think of anything else to write for that day, and then offering up his spot should be for guest writers - or someone else instead, is very disrespectful. To then add that he knew that not everyone would like that nonsense when he wrote it is highly offensive to the writer of this article.

Your statement of "not trying to hate on you, just being honest" is a lie, pure and simple. That is all your article is doing, and adding one line that states the contrary to that does not make it true. The only reason you wrote it was to let LT know you despise his writing and his article. It is offensive and very, very abusive.

I appreciate LT's post, and as for those posts I don't enjoy as much I either pass over, or don't comment on. I don't feel the need to tell them how horrible they are. I'd suggest the same tact for you in the future.

I have a recommendation to ON writers and advisors on this site; get this guy banned permanently. I cannot and will not stand for our writers being abused here.

#22 Twiggs
February 02 2011, 09:40AM

I really don't think you can move Penner unless you get someone in return who also has size. The team is small enough as it is. I totally understand the argument for moving Jones while his value is high but I have to say I sure have enjoyed watching his play in the last while. I definitely wouldn't mind him sticking around. I think a good trade option right now is some type of package involving a few of our smaller/expendable forwards (i.e. cogs, brule etc...). We seem to have an abundance and maybe a team looking for additional speed and secondary scoring would bite.

#23 David S
February 02 2011, 10:00AM

Dude. He knows that. The only intent from guys like this is to get some attention, which for the most part they are lacking in the outside ("real") world. Textbook troll here folks.

#24 Oilcruzer
February 02 2011, 12:15PM

Gotta save Dubey for the playoffs.

Edit. Prayers and sympathies to the Renney family.

#25 Matt Henderson
February 02 2011, 01:32PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I find it very frustrating that you continuously act like extending the guy isn't an option.

I find it very frustrating that you continuously act like the Oilers have extended Jones or that he has expressed a desire to be extended.

It IS an option. It is an option that has not happened and has no evidence to support that it WILL happen.

We are now a month away from the deadline and I havent heard any rumblings that the Oilers are working on extending the guy. Have you?

At what point do you accept that it is much more likely that Jones will try to cash in on this career season by landing a job on a winner or for more money than he is likely worth than it is that Jones will sign an extension here?

#26 Ender
February 02 2011, 02:31PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Thought we could use a little poetry to lighten the mood here on gameday.

~Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night.

Light a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.~

#27 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 02 2011, 03:54PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

We don't need a poll.

HBMW, whoever you are, adios. You're done here.

Good to see Robin, part of what makes this site great is that it is (relatively) troll free.

The fewer the number of morons that are here, the more likely it is to attract resonable, rational readers/posters.

#28 Jamie B.
February 01 2011, 06:22PM

The rise and fall of Gilbert Brule makes me glad I'm not in charge of these things. I know a few people thought they should sell high but be honest, how many of us would have crapped a brick if they'd moved Brule last summer and kept Cogliano. A lot of us.

Ugh.

#29 BUCK75
February 01 2011, 06:23PM

@David S

Agreed, a team lacking in grit & he has probably 75% of the team's stitches this year. If he keeps playing like this he has a spot, especially if Brule is hurt all the time....

#30 PaperDesigner
February 01 2011, 06:28PM

I'd still prefer the Oilers stick it out with Brule. I think there's a player there, and dealing him now, when his value is at its lowest, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

#31 boopronger
February 01 2011, 06:41PM

Would hemsky + the oilers first this year, get weber out of nashville? Assuming contract extension.

#32 Quicksilver ballet
February 01 2011, 06:46PM
PaperDesigner wrote:

How much longer can the Oilers ignore the math on Gilbert. 1.85 million per year for 8 pts and a +/- rating of -7 to date this season. How long should team(s) wait?

#33 fuck off
February 01 2011, 07:02PM

Ryan Jones, available?! Those two words shouldn't be in the same sentence! He's been the best surprise and the only winger who can score and hit which is exactly what the Oilers need more of.

#34 Raine Snow
February 01 2011, 07:04PM

So who are you replacing these bodies with? Lots going out, but nothing coming in.

#35 Fisher
February 01 2011, 07:11PM

Two words, how about a few quick ones Hemmer+Jones=Schenn from LA or if the Math doesn't add up for either GM add Hamilton in and get back Teubert as well.

#37 They're $hittie
February 01 2011, 07:13PM
boopronger wrote:

Unless there is a guarentee on Larsson, Nashville would never consider trading the face of their franchise, especially when he is signed to a good contract, and is their captain, when the team is not known for spending much money.

#38 Milli
February 01 2011, 07:13PM

Cogs is a funny one, because how many times have we said he's finally getting it! But if he is, he'd be a good keep!

#39 oilfan4life
February 01 2011, 07:17PM

I am ready to see Cogs, Brule, Hemsky (i love him but its time), J.F.J, Stortini, Foster,Struds go. I know that sounds like a major over haul but these are the none factors on this team. They don't play well enough(again hemsky excluded) together or on there on to be legit contributors on a competing team. I love the laughs and personality they bring to the team but it is time start aiming for the win.

#40 DSF
February 01 2011, 07:33PM

Holy cow!

One third of the roster is up for grabs and that doesn't even include Sam Wellwood.

Hope those prospects all pay off.

My most likely to be moved list:

Hemsky Penner Gagner Cogliano Vandermeer

No one else has enough value to be worth moving.

#41 Hack The Bone
February 01 2011, 07:41PM

LT, I'm guessing you see Gagner as untouchable? While I wouldn't move him, I think 3.0 would move him if A) the offer was irresistible, and B) Stu thinks RNH and Couturier are both superior to Sam, because we will certainly have a shot at one of them.

#43 Oilcruzer
February 01 2011, 07:46PM

I give an A+ for last year's roster moves.

Shea Weber... that's a bold one.

I think the only team that really realizes the value in Jones is the Oil. That's going to be hard to get value for. Rather keep him.

#44 TigerUnderGlass
February 01 2011, 07:48PM
John Chambers wrote:

Why the crush on Alzner? You mention him a lot.

I always felt he was overrated with the Hitmen, but I haven't seen him play much since.

Wouldn't Carlson be the better target from Washington?

#45 John Chambers
February 01 2011, 07:56PM

@TigerUnderGlass

Carlson seems unattainable, no?

Alzner, Teubert, Forbort, Roussel, who can tell the difference. I'm a loser, not a pro scount, remember.

#46 OilFan
February 01 2011, 08:07PM
Lowetide wrote:

I think of Gagner as a very good but not untouchable young player. If they're going to draft RNH then I expect they'll deal Gagner but that won't happen until summer.

So you think they will trade Gagner since they are drafting an unproven rookie ? Wouldn't it make more sense to see what this RNH guy can do at the NHL level ? *if they draft him*

#48 craigero
February 01 2011, 08:28PM

The Oil should see what they can get for Penner and Hemsky and if it makes sense then make the deal, if not maybe we can resign them. Gagner... offer him up and hopefully we can trick somebody into thinking he is better then he is,if not maybe he can pump some iron next summer and not get pushed off the puck so much. Vandemeer for a late pick sounds like a good idea. Keep Cogs he seems to be playing better lately, give Brule a longer look as we would not get much for him anyway. Give Fraser away or buy him out. St. Jacques drop like yesterday's news paper. Trade the pic we get for Vandermeer and package it with Foster for a bag of pucks.

#49 Shane
February 01 2011, 08:55PM
The Beaker wrote:

I agree Jonesy should be part of the rebuild.

#50 The Beaker
February 01 2011, 09:16PM

@Barry S

1. I'm not sure how I made that assumption. I didnt say anything about trading anyone else, just that trading Jones did not make sense.

2. If that post was actually directed at me, I dont see how what you said disputes anything I said. In fact most of it seems to agree with my point of view.