Taylor Hall: Road Warrior

Lowetide
February 12 2011 07:47AM

Taylor Hall's rookie season has been a blessing for Oiler fans. Why? There's always a reason to watch the town team. However, Hall has been more impressive on the road than at home. Is it a big difference? Read on.
 

Taylor Hall is becoming a target for opposition NHL teams even at this early stage of his career. And with good reason. Hall is a quality rookie wherever he plays, but on the road--and in hostile environments--he kicks ass:

HOME ROAD SPLITS/HALL 10-11

  • Home: 26gp, 6-7-13 (.500) -9
  • Road: 28gp, 11-10-21 (.750) +1

That's a tidy difference over a little more than half of a season. Both Eberle and Pääjärvi also display better numbers on the road, but Eberle's are less severe. Is this a case of young #4 putting too much pressure on himself? I doubt it, although he's still a teenager. It's difficult to remember how young he is based on how well he's handled the pressure.

2010-2011 SPLITS/HALL 10-11

  • Oct-Dec: 37gp, 12-10-22 (.595) -7
  • Jan-Feb: 18gp, 5-7-12 (667) -1

Slight improvement offensively (slight enough to be considered random chance) but his plus minus number is markedly better since the new year. To my eye, Hall has become more involved in the play, more irritating to the opposition, more impactful on the overall spirit of the game, in these last 18 contests.

2010-11 SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE/HALL 10-11

  • first 27 games: 9-6-15 (.555) -4
  • next 27 games: 8-11-19 (.704) -4

Nice improvement in his second set of 27 games. I think that will be the theme for Hall this year. We can't expect Stamkos splits, but it's clear this kid is getting more comfortable and has another gear.

Which inspires a question: is Taylor Hall already the best player on the Edmonton Oilers?

 

TEAM 1260

A reminder I'll be hosting "NATION RADIO" first edition today at noon. The first show will happen live from the Team 1260 studios and the boys from the Pipeline Show (Dean Millard and Guy Flaming) will have me on just before noon to kickstart things and hopefully hold on to some of their impressive audience.

Your calls are welcome, I will be browsing this thread for questions and comments throughout the broadcast. You are all given permission to watch the Oilers game today and to enjoy Hockey Day in Canada. However, Wanye will have the broadcast up here at Oilers Nation (an archive will be available here) shortly after the broadcast.

I hope you'll listen. More than that, I hope you enjoy it.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#1 a lg dubl dubl
February 12 2011, 07:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

FIIIISSSSSTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Avatar
#2 robinrussia
February 12 2011, 07:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Just so no one can submit a f***

Too Late!

Avatar
#3 a lg dubl dubl
February 12 2011, 07:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Im not sure if Hall is the best Oiler but he has carried the team in alot of games thats for sure.

Another good read on a saterday morning LT keep em comin!

Avatar
#4 Mcote97
February 12 2011, 08:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Will the show be re-played anytime? Going to miss it as I will be at the game.

Avatar
#5 stu the most important piece for the oilers rebuild
February 12 2011, 08:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Good luck lowetide

Avatar
#6 MJM
February 12 2011, 08:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'd be curious to see his splits from junior. Obviously the OHL isn't the same as the NHL, but it'd be interesting if we saw higher numbers on the road there too.

Avatar
#7 -30-
February 12 2011, 08:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Will there be a podcast or will we be able to download the broadcast?

In a stroke of terrible luck, it's too bad there will be a game playing while you're on air.

I look forward to hearing you.

-30-

Avatar
#8 Hack The Bone
February 12 2011, 08:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hey LT good luck today! Can you tell me if The Magnificent Bastard is in charge of scouting players who have already been drafted but may not yet be in the NHL? Or is this the Oilers pro scouting department? It would be folly for the Oilers to trade for a Bogosian, Schenn, Forbort etc.. without his input.

Avatar
#9 Racki
February 12 2011, 08:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

I wouldn't go so far as to say Taylor Hall is already the best player on the Oilers, no, but I think in the future he will be. I've been very impressed with him. I had high hopes for him in the beginning, and he's doing a good job of reaching them.

The one thing I hoped most for was that the compete level we saw with him in junior would be there.. I didn't expect that to happen so early, but it's already incredibly obvious how much this kid wants to win. Perhaps something that made him stand out well above the other draft candidates..

Avatar
#10 I tried it at home
February 12 2011, 08:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

If an 18 year old rookie is the best player on the team, even 'arguably', then that says more about the older players then about Hall, IMO. I seem to remember talk of changing the culture of the team, and being a team no one wants to play against, apparently thats been deep sixed like a Stortini. You dont have to be an expensive, talent laden team to be effective, just responsible and dare I say gritty. Keep the community minded 'honour the code' guys, Id happily take Tootoo or Ott just to see someone leave Edmonton without a smile on his face. *whew* Ok, venting's over, good luck with the show today....

Avatar
#11 Oiler In Leafland
February 12 2011, 08:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Not to re-open the debate, and I know he's in a different role with different expectations on the Bruins, but I don't know you could be saying the same thing about Seguin on the Oilers.

I think they definitely got that right based on the first 8 months. Of course we need 10 years to assess.

p.s. Minor complaint: that Mel Gibson pic is from Mad Max, not The Road Warrior

Avatar
#12 Dodd
February 12 2011, 08:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Go Lowetide! Congrats to Nation Radio. High - fives and "Muppet nods" all around.

@Oiler in Leafland;

To add to that, who knows what the combination of our system and rookie/3rd - stringer lineup would have done to Seguin's game.... Seguin seems to be enjoying the fruits of playing on a "win now" team, but his role is greatly diminished compared to Hall's - with considerably less pressure.

Avatar
#13 I tried it at home
February 12 2011, 08:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Not to re-open the debate, and I know he's in a different role with different expectations on the Bruins, but I don't know you could be saying the same thing about Seguin on the Oilers.

I think they definitely got that right based on the first 8 months. Of course we need 10 years to assess.

I'll agree there, I was a Team Seguin rooter before the draft, but Im quite happy with Hall now. Now, about some other guys...

Avatar
#14 Harlie
February 12 2011, 08:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

LT, in the parlance of our times..

I wish you a lower body injury for your ON radio show debut!

Avatar
#15 OilFan
February 12 2011, 09:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hall has been great and always one of the best players in the game for the Oilers side.

I'll be listening

Avatar
#16 freeze
February 12 2011, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

You are going to do great, lowetide!! Break a leg and all that!

Avatar
#17 Oilcruzer
February 12 2011, 10:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Oil should have left him in junior to save a year of his contract.

Seguin will be better.

Taylor Hall is a lot of hype but he'll fade.

---

Where are those guys now?

Avatar
#18 sizedoesmatter
February 12 2011, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oilcruzer wrote:

The Oil should have left him in junior to save a year of his contract.

Seguin will be better.

Taylor Hall is a lot of hype but he'll fade.

---

Where are those guys now?

No they shoud,nt. No he will not. and no he won,t

Avatar
#19 Steve Smith
February 12 2011, 10:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

Lowetide, you say "Taylor Hall is becoming a target for opposition NHL teams even at this early stage of his career." But isn't superior road production an indication of the opposite? That (to the limited extent that Renney's doing any line-matching at all) he's being thrown out against tougher competition at home, but that on the road, when the opponent has last change, they're targeting other lines?

Avatar
#20 jake
February 12 2011, 10:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I would guess there are about a dozen times Hall was point blank or on the doorstep of the goal and didn't finish. I think he could easily have about 25 goals right now.

Once he learns he has more time and how the big league goalies do their thing, he should be (please please hockey gods make it so) quite dangerous.

Like Racki said, it's quite clear this kid wants to win. Can't put a price tag on that.

Avatar
#21 pelhem grenville
February 12 2011, 11:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oiler In Leafland wrote:

Not to re-open the debate, and I know he's in a different role with different expectations on the Bruins, but I don't know you could be saying the same thing about Seguin on the Oilers.

I think they definitely got that right based on the first 8 months. Of course we need 10 years to assess.

p.s. Minor complaint: that Mel Gibson pic is from Mad Max, not The Road Warrior

~from MadMax,not the RoadWarrior? nitpicking such as this will not be tolerated in the future Loafland ...what...you want the header to read

Taylor Hall ... MadMax? i think NOT !~

Break-A-Leg LOWETIDE today you pop the OILERNATION RADIO cherry for us all !!!!!!

Avatar
#22 pelhem grenville
February 12 2011, 11:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

OILERS[with an S]NATION RADIO

...one million apologies

Avatar
#23 Crackenbury
February 12 2011, 11:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Expect to see Hemsky traded. Another case of wanting out of town, only this time it's not because of the girlfriend. Hopefully its done with some class.

Oilers are fixed on Larsson right now, but a trade for Bogosian allows them to go after a center at the draft. Prying Schenn away from LA puts them back on track for Larsson. Getting Boston's Toronto pick is the third option. Any of the above trades might happen, but you can take it to the bank, Hemsky is gone at the deadline.

Avatar
#24 Archaeologuy
February 12 2011, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Oilcruzer

1) Was/is a ridiculous arguement for this player in particular. No way he belonged in the OHL. No way.

2) Even the most staunch Seguin supporters suggested it would be multiple years in the NHL before Seguin would overtake Hall. Even though I became a Taylor Hall fan the second they called his name at the Podium in LA, I am still very interested in seeing how these two players progress under very different circumstances over the next 4-5 years.

3) I dont know about the fade thing. At worst the kid should be exactly what he is now, and to think he cant get better is extremely pessimistic.

Avatar
#25 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
February 12 2011, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
robinrussia wrote:

Just so no one can submit a f***

Too Late!

Fail

Avatar
#26 pelhem grenville
February 12 2011, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

...and another one million apologies for stepping on Harlies' "lower body injury" comment earlier...truly i didn't see it...i'd never have said what i said if i had seen your excellent take H...

LT... by all means though continue with the cherry popping...

Avatar
#27 Steve Smith
February 12 2011, 11:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Oilcruzer wrote:

The Oil should have left him in junior to save a year of his contract.

Seguin will be better.

Taylor Hall is a lot of hype but he'll fade.

---

Where are those guys now?

I was never the second two, but I'm still the first one. That argument was never premised on Taylor Hall not being a good hockey player, so the fact that he's turned out to be a good player does absolutely nothing to invalidate it.

Still, there is a raging hostility to reason around here (and no, I'm not saying that everybody who disagrees with me is automatically unreasonable - I'm saying that people who structure arguments in ways that show a complete disregard for reason are, regardless of their conclusions), so I'm not going to get into that (translation: have at 'er). I just didn't like the implication that we were suddenly hiding because a fact had emerged that was wholly irrelevant to our argument.

Avatar
#28 Quicksilver ballet
February 12 2011, 11:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Well done Taylor, elbow out, ask questions later, stick it to'em all.

If we're all real real quiet for just a moment, we can still hear Drew Daughty yelling at Taylor Hall.

I'm thinking Tambellini is still going hard after Seguin in any possible dealings with the Bruins, anything Chiarelli wants is met with Tyler in return, hopefully Steve's persistence pays dividends.

Avatar
#29 TigerUnderGlass
February 12 2011, 11:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Steve Smith

there is a raging hostility to reason around here

I think the hostility you see may have more to do with statements like that than any opposition to "reason".

Avatar
#30 TigerUnderGlass
February 12 2011, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Quicksilver ballet

If we're all real real quiet for just a moment, we can still hear Drew Daughty yelling at Taylor Hall.

That made me laugh.

Avatar
#31 Steve Smith
February 12 2011, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@TigerUnderGlass

Oh, I'll stay away from your son alright...stay away FOREVER!

Avatar
#32 TigerUnderGlass
February 12 2011, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Steve Smith wrote:

Oh, I'll stay away from your son alright...stay away FOREVER!

Wait, I've got a good one now! Say "stay away from my son" again.

Avatar
#33 Oilcruzer
February 12 2011, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Yep. The measuring stick isn't how he compares to others... It's whether or not he developed (yes) and if the fan base bought the koolaid and jerseys (yes).

TH is the real deal... And that's all we could hope for.

Avatar
#34 pelhem grenville
February 12 2011, 12:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

...y'think Penner wants to stay here so much that he'll attempt a knee on knee with #4 so Tambellini will need him so much with Hall out and so wouldn't be able to trade him?

...that was close!

LOWETIDE thanks for John Short and thanks even more for John Short being a regular...he like you is one of a kind...wow your radio show is freaking awesome,what are the chances you'll be giving away free noodles to phone-ins?

Avatar
#35 TigerUnderGlass
February 12 2011, 12:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
pelhem grenville wrote:

...y'think Penner wants to stay here so much that he'll attempt a knee on knee with #4 so Tambellini will need him so much with Hall out and so wouldn't be able to trade him?

...that was close!

LOWETIDE thanks for John Short and thanks even more for John Short being a regular...he like you is one of a kind...wow your radio show is freaking awesome,what are the chances you'll be giving away free noodles to phone-ins?

Agreed. John Short was a huge part of my childhood and he was one of the things I actually missed when we left Edmonton.

Avatar
#36 D.Rude@sasktel.net
February 12 2011, 12:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Show sounds great LT.

Not sure how you could bring it up on the show, but one of the biggest stories this year IMO is: Why in the hell hasn't Dubnyk gotten more starts??

Almost every other team in the league recognizes when a backup has outplayed their starter and at a minimum the backup then gets half the starts. Why is this team different??

Avatar
#37 michael
February 12 2011, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Listening to the show and enjoying it. Crackenbury is wrong. The Oilers are not going to draft Larsson. They need RNH, or Courtier. It takes to long to develop a Number 1 defenceman. And its no gaurantee Larsson will become one. Your better off looking at the freeagecy or a trade to get that stud when you think you have a shot.

Keep playing Bulin his play will gaurantee us 30th and 50% of the balls in the lottery. He is awful.

Avatar
#38 Harlie
February 12 2011, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@pelhem grenville

s'all good man.. props

Avatar
#39 Crackenbury
February 12 2011, 02:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
michael wrote:

Listening to the show and enjoying it. Crackenbury is wrong. The Oilers are not going to draft Larsson. They need RNH, or Courtier. It takes to long to develop a Number 1 defenceman. And its no gaurantee Larsson will become one. Your better off looking at the freeagecy or a trade to get that stud when you think you have a shot.

Keep playing Bulin his play will gaurantee us 30th and 50% of the balls in the lottery. He is awful.

Right or wrong, if the Oilers don't land a stud defenseman before the draft they'll be taking Larsson if he's available.

Avatar
#40 Quicksilver ballet
February 12 2011, 03:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It's definately is selfish of me, but the loss today just insures we'll be in 30th atleast one more week, must be the reason we can see that light at the end of the tunnel, can't put on finger on why the ground is shaking yet.

Braydon Schenn,Tor/Bost lottery pick,Tyler Seguin,our own lottery pick. Two of these will certainly be ours by the end of this month.

Jason Speeza, not sure if he has any supporters here, i think a change of scenery would do him and his game a world of good. There has to be some way to bring him here and have Horcoff going back the other way.

Avatar
#41 pelhem grenville
February 12 2011, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Q...Spezza makes seven million... til after we are all dead man...well at least me...2016 y'like him that much? i thought he had to be paired with someone special like heatly to produce. i don't know enuf about him but yikes that's a ton of money...it's like superstar money & he's no superstar

Avatar
#42 Quicksilver ballet
February 12 2011, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@pelhem grenville

Good thing we're not writing those cheques eh.

I feel Taylor has the ability to make players around him better, including Jason. Horcoff 5.5 for another 4.5 years, saves the Sens some cash which may be appealing. They are in the midst of blowing things up right now anyways, what a better way to usher in a new Senator era. With Phillips,Neil and Fisher on the move, they'd just be left with Alfredsson left for one or two years. It would be a new beginning with new support for Jason here.... i feel it's a gamble worth taking and that 5.5's been spent already anyways. He looks a little handcuffed to me in Oattawa. (pronounced oat-tawa) Thanks for listening PG.

Happy Hockey day in Canada to all my fellow Fisters, wait, that doesn't sound right...we best not go there.

Avatar
#43 OilyEskimo
February 12 2011, 06:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Horcoff has only 3.5 years left not 4.5 I know its still stings but dont go adding a year of pain check it @ (nhlnumbers.com)

Avatar
#44 Oilcruzer
February 12 2011, 08:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
pelhem grenville wrote:

Q...Spezza makes seven million... til after we are all dead man...well at least me...2016 y'like him that much? i thought he had to be paired with someone special like heatly to produce. i don't know enuf about him but yikes that's a ton of money...it's like superstar money & he's no superstar

Agreed. The Spezza wagon isn't the solution.

Avatar
#45 @NateInVegas
February 12 2011, 08:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The argument that the Oilers shouldn't draft Nugent-Hopkins because he's good on the powerplay is sooo strong..

Because Edmonton's PP is really efficient right?

RNH does 2 things well that the Oilers don't..

1. Score on the PP

2. He starts most periods and either scores,creates a chance, or draws a penalty.

Avatar
#46 madjam
February 13 2011, 10:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hopkins and Gagner much same like/type player , so one would probably have to go after a short stint . Larsson makes sense if Lowe was right and hopes to have a contender in 5-6 years from now . Does keeping Penner , Horcoff , Hemsky , make any sense keeping if they plan such a long slow process ? No , especially if any are looking for a raise ! Does keeping Khabby make any sense ? Souray we are stuck with -just buy him out and get this charade over with . See if someone will take our first line with Khabby for a first round pick this season . Then put up our entire diminutive leftovers except for maybe 2 (Gags and Eberle ) for any draft choices we can get . There , then maybe we can finally get this proper rebuild going for next season at least , and speed up the process . I see J.Short opinion of Lowe as GM is about the same as mine for Tams .

That interview with Lowe during game yesterday sure dampened my spirit as to this rebuild process they hope might make us a contender in 5-6 years . He hopes the Oilers fans can wait that long ? He sure didn't sound very convincing or sure it was going to even make us competitive in that timeframe .

Avatar
#47 Clint
February 15 2011, 01:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Let me put it this way to you: I am from Ohio. Taylor Hall is the type of talent that has made me not only follow the Oilers but learn more about the entire sport. He's going to be that special.

Comments are closed for this article.