Trade Target: Bogosian

Lowetide
February 16 2011 07:26AM

This is Zach Bogosian. 20-years old, he plays the toughest opposition available, has size and can handle himself. And he might be available.

Nick Kypreos has connections and a twitter account, plus he's an NHL Insider. When he tweets:

• "Bogosian hasn't officially asked to be traded but it's been noted he's not happy and would like change of scenery by next season."

I start thinking about ways to get him on the roster. Nothing against Adam Larsson, but if the Oilers take him with their lottery pick this summer it will be followed by at least two or three years of development. Defensemen develop by sundial, history tells us that much. Bogosian's growing pains are already well underway and a true defenseman is coming out the other side.

How good is Bogosian? Well his boxcars this season (47gp, 4-7-11 -16)  aren't spectacular but he's not a one trick pony either. What does he do? He handles the heavy lifting in Atlanta, as this chart shows (chart here) and if he's available the Oilers have to take a look at it. imo.

I'm not suggesting the Oilers trade their lottery pick for Bogosian, but a package of picks and players might be enough to pry him from the Thrashers. 6.03, 205 and his scouting report shines:

• Has great mobility. Owns a huge shot from the point and sound offensive ability. Is very aggressive and capable of shutting down opposing forwards.

That from HN.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Ender
February 16 2011, 12:24PM
kinnick kinnick wrote:

Apparently Souray didn't play last night, upper body injury.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

[dabs eye]

That's why I read here. If anything'll pick you up on a Wednesday, it's reading about Souray's career slipping just a little closer to oblivion.

Enjoy what's left of the paydays, Shelly.

#2 Harlie
February 16 2011, 01:19PM

@ogog

"but the puck kept hopping over my blade"

~ I'm pretty sure you were using Horcoff's stick. ~

#3 Chris.
February 16 2011, 05:03PM
Death Metal Nightmare wrote:

totally over the "this is" intro. i almost cant read the articles anymore.

Then don't.

Why should Lowetide change his writing style to accomodate the petty sensibilities of Death Metal Nightmare?

#4 Archaeologuy
February 16 2011, 02:00PM

That said, whatever happens happens and I'm prepared for the worst. If Tambellini has done anything for me it's instill a sense that things can always get worse.

#6 ubermiguel
February 16 2011, 08:55AM

Another defenceman with the habit of asking for trades? And he's only 20? Buyer beware.

#7 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 10:46AM
derrickhands wrote:

I believe Boston is in the market for a top 6 winger, and they overloader with Centerman. Which means either Seguin is going to sit (because of the trade for Chris Kelly) or sent down to the Juniors. Also I don't believe Boston's scouts were in the stands last night to see any of our defenseman.

No, but they may have been there for the cheap beer and high flying entertainment that are the Oilers' Octane!

#8 Archaeologuy
February 16 2011, 01:55PM

@CSimpson18

Basically, what Im getting at is with Bogosian your paying for the name and the pedigree. I look at what he's done so far and I'm not falling in love with the player. Declining stats and questionable attitude (not even 21 and he wants out already?) and my own personal distrust of his potential. Those things combine to make me think the guy is just a tad overrated.

So what if instead of the Oilers shipping out their best vet for 1 guy with a questionable future they get multiple players with questionable futures.

If a Hemsky for Bogosian deal is made on July 5th after 4 days of the Oil failing to convince Hemmer to re-up then it's different. But you aren't just giving up 1 year of Ales, you're also giving up your opportunity to negotiate.

#9 Archaeologuy
February 16 2011, 02:50PM
Dennis wrote:

If Lowe won't take Bogo for 89 then there's another reason for him to be fired.

Note: if anyone still believes Lowe doesn't pull Tambo's strings then go and rewatch the first episode of Oil Change and then get back to me.

The Oilers once deft eye for picking up D has lost some of it's ability but I don't think Lowe's even dumb enough to turn down a 89/Bogo deal.

I'm sorry, what has Bogosian done to suggest he's more valuable than the Oilers highest scoring Centre?

He isn't scoring, he isn't a stalwart defensively, and he's fallen down their depth chart to the point being scratched at times this season.

Just outline for me all the reasons Bogosian has been a better NHL player than 89 and don't mention the future since both players are relatively the same age.

#10 Death Metal Nightmare
February 16 2011, 04:59PM

totally over the "this is" intro. i almost cant read the articles anymore.

#11 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 05:15PM
Death Metal Nightmare wrote:

totally over the "this is" intro. i almost cant read the articles anymore.

Agree with Chris.

Nobody is here to read your intros, which so far have included such creative comments as 'like, totally'.

#12 David S
February 16 2011, 09:20PM

Holy crap! Mention the word "trade" in a subject heading around here and everybody acts like Fred Flintstone with a gambling addiction...

#13 Peterborough
February 17 2011, 03:07AM

As someone who watched this guy play in Junior let me say don't do it. He's got a crazy attitude problem the last thing we need. We need character guys more than tallent. If we get Schenn then yes. But don't give up picks and def not Pitlick are you kidding me? and all the management bashing has to stop they have built the best prospect pool in the league and thats not homer talk its a fact the 2010 draft has is looking to be the best in rescent history for any team I can think of (1 L9, 2 L8's 5! L7's + other promising developement peices their is a chance 10 of our picks make it to the NHL!!!) its early but almost EVERYONE we took this past year has exceeded all expectations ala Hamilton at the WJC. Have faith people!! Lets be patient and build a winner and not be the the Toronto Maple Leafs!!!

#14 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 16 2011, 07:29AM

The majority of our best d-man have always been from a trade, so I'm on board with making a play for Bogosian.

#15 Racki
February 16 2011, 07:59AM

I agree and I think we can buy low... i.e. no hemsky.

#16 SumOil
February 16 2011, 08:02AM
Pajamah wrote:

I'd rather give him Gilbert money than give Gilbert gilbert money.

Thomas Ezekial Gilbert is worth no more than $2.5 per

**made up, but true**

What?? Dude go ahead and check out behindthenet stats for all defensemen. Gilbert is worth his cap hit.

#17 misfit
February 16 2011, 09:15AM

I'd love to get Bogosian on this team. The only question is, do we have an Alexei Zhitnik to send the other way?

#18 upper-deck-drunk
February 16 2011, 09:54AM

Put me in the trade Hemsky for Bogosion. But i wouldn't be adding to much more. Hemmer is a proven asset and can be the tipping point for a few teams out there. We need a top end dman. End of story. We'll win more games with a better defense then we Will with hemsky. We have players that can step into Hemsky's roll. We have no one that can step into a top minutes hard nose shutdown defensemen role. And if you think Larsson is the second coming of Lidstrom, ask yourself if you're willing to gamble on A) him being available if we don't draft first and B) hint actually turning into a top dman. Im willing ti take the safer route abduction trade for someone that is further in their development.

Down with the dangle!!!

#19 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 10:02AM
madjam wrote:

Florida has 3 youngsters Oilers should be interested in trying to obtain in Gudbranson , Howden and Bjugstad . Any ideas of a possible trade here ?

Would love to have Gudbranson here, and Florida is another team that is in the need of offence. There is a possible trade there, it would be costly though. But Gudbranson is got the potential to be better then any defenseman available in this years draft.

#20 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 10:04AM
CSimpson18 wrote:

An overpayment in the short term is what it will take and it will be worth it.

Hemsky, Smid, prospect(martindale? sell high), pick (2nd or 3rd).

Bogosian would be a fixture on the top pairing for years. His value has never been lower and Atl is desperate for playoffs. Perfect storm.

Absolutely correct! We should completely trade our best player and second pairing D for a young player with only a couple years behind him playing in a hockey market that doesn't care. Young studs always love the pressure of playing in Edmonton and rise up to meet it. This strategy was wonderful when we aquired Lupul.

#21 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 10:48AM
Hemmertime wrote:

Best player: Hemsky. Not for long, he's got 1 year left and Oilers can't afford him AND Penner in 3 years after HPE get their 2nd contracts. Why not maximize value.

Smid: Nice player, not going above 4th best Dman on a playoff team. Not dime-a-dozen, but close.

Comparing Lupul and Bogosian? RIDICULOUS, give your head a shake.

If young studs can't handle Edmonton we better trade Hall and Eberle now...When was the last time we had a young stud on defense anyway? I can't think of any.

You've got to understand asset value and what will help when the Oilers are going to contend.

#22 Steve Smith
February 16 2011, 12:16PM

@CSimpson18

In fairness, he didn't say that Seguin was a bust, he said that "Alot [sic] of Boston fans consider Seguin a bust". Since I see no reason to assume that Boston fans are smarter than Edmonton fans, I have no trouble believing that that's true.

#23 Milli
February 16 2011, 12:26PM

I am curious how Gagner is trending downward....

#24 jadeddog
February 16 2011, 12:30PM

@Hemmertime

this post echoes my thoughts exactly.... bogosian is a tough, stay at home dman, sure... hell, he might even be a *good* tough, stay at home dman in a few years (he's not good right now by any means)... but these are the types of players you fill out your roster with - guys you pick up in the 2nd round... guys like peckham in a few years

you DO NOT trade career 0.8 PPG forwards who are 28 years old for these types of players (hemsky)... i don't run away from a hemsky for bogosian deal, i run away screaming at the top of my lungs and waving my arms

#25 book¡e
February 16 2011, 01:13PM
ogog wrote:

If hemsky stopped using a g-dam field hockey stick he might have broken 30 goals, it's all those years of roller hockey, he refuses to use a real stick because he can't toe-drag at 100mph with a real blade. I've used one of his stick before in beer league, it's so light, it turned my stone-hands into the best deker out there, but the puck kept hopping over my blade, and i couldn't shoot. My passing was unreal tho

He also doesn't hold his stick right.

#26 chartleys
February 16 2011, 01:15PM

Any deal that starts at Hemsky +high pick and/or cheap solid developing prospect for Bogs is a deal I wouldn't be that excited to make.

You give me Bogs and I give you an even strength outscoring 1st line RW on a brilliant contract for two years - should be the end of that conversation.

I could see adding Smid if you were in turn recieving a decent forward prospect or 2nd round pick back. (buffers their win now defensive depth chart and RW) There could be a deal for Hemsky+ but that deal is a pretty big favour going ATL's way and needs a really solid repayment.

#27 Diamond
February 16 2011, 01:30PM

Can we slam Brian Burke for a while one day ? To me he is so overated as a GM. It looks like he is trying to undo his blatant mistakes somehow.

#28 misfit
February 16 2011, 01:53PM

I have next to zero interest in trading Hemsky, but Bogosian is one of the few players I'd be willing to move him for. I'd much rather have one Zach Bogosian than another package of picks and prospects like the one we got for Smyth.

#29 Mark
February 16 2011, 02:08PM

Hemsky + Peckham(Another bro for Atlanta) or Smid. For Bogosian and Atl 1st rnd pick. Seems fairly even?

#30 dawgbone
February 16 2011, 02:17PM
Hemmertime wrote:

Also, Why are you and everyone planning on huge raises for Hall Paajarvi and Eberle and trading 2 years ahead of time to keep space for their contracts?

If we have salary problems because our rookies turned into good players THAT IS A GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE. Chicago won the cup and had to dump 11 players. I guess they should have dumped 6 of those 11 ahead of time to keep the other 5. Who cares if they dont win the cup last year, its salary for next year if someone they draft becomes good! Or they still have Byfuglien

Keep a little salary available, but dont base trading top players on the possibility that all 3 of your rookies command over 5 mil a season. For one, not going to happen. Two, when it doesnt happen we're still dead last because we've dealt away any proven NHL players and no one will sign since we suck - with a couple decent rookies (sound like a few years ago?) Finally, if all 3 do require big raises, trade one or someone else. Chicago did all right even though all GM's knew they were in a bind.

The thing is, with some smarter management they could have that cup win and the majority of the team they had last year.

#31 Dennis
February 16 2011, 02:36PM

LT: this heavy lifting thing, what does that mean exactly?

I mean;) we all know 77 does the same thing for the Oilers and we all know that guy is the worst kind of junk!

#32 Makarov
February 16 2011, 05:15PM
Hemmertime wrote:

I don't see it, Ive only seen Bogosian in a single digit amount of games (6-8 Id say), but the biggest thing he brings to the table is youth. I don't see him as any better than many other older free agents and 30 year olds we can acquire via trade. He could, or even should, get better as time goes but trading your best FW's to get someone who isn't going to be your best D (Whitney) is very risky. Especially a D man that brings little offense to the table - thats way more easily replicated than Hemsky's skill-set.

Lots of people say Hemmers skill-set is replaced by Omark and Gagner if we move him. Omark has 3 goals and looks more like Robert Nilsson than Hemsky most shifts. Sam Gagner is a prospect trending downward - hes iffy to even be a 2nd line producer at best nowadays, the comparisons to Spezza, Damphousse, and Gilmour are all garbage now. Each of those players topped 90 pts by 4th season or sooner. Ol Samwise will be lucky to hit 50.

A "tough" D man isnt something you trade your best player for, its something a competent GM aquires for your team giving up minimal assets. I am hoping Bogosians age doesn't throw up blinders to logical moves. Last thing we need is a 20 year old with a bad enough attitude to make it known he wants to move teams. He will absolutely LOVE going to a last place team.

Gags omark and paajarvi has 18 games together, 2 rookies and a 21 year old kid.Do you really watch the games?, your comparison with Nilsson is pretty lame!

#33 Bucknuck
February 16 2011, 05:45PM

I am not sure if I would trade Hemsky (as close to a PPG player as we have had here since Weight) straight across for Bogosian. I love the way Bogosian plays, and all the tools he has, but players like Hemsky are quite rare. There are less than 30 players in the league with his offensive skill, and he's only 27, just hitting his prime. Injury is concern with him, but his lift you out of your chair entertainment capability is worth a lot.

Having said all that. I would love to see Bogosian in an Oiler Uniform. I could be convinced.

As far as untouchables: I believe the untouchables on the Oilers roster should be: Hall, Eberle, Petry, Paajarvi, Gagner, Whitney, Peckham, Dubnyk, and Penner.

#34 Horcsky
February 16 2011, 05:59PM

@Bucknuck

I like Hemsky too, but sadly I've come to realize that "lift (me) out of (my) chair" has little to do with results and solid hockey players. These sentimental feelings definitely get in the way of good analysis of players by us as fans, and I can only hope it doesn't cloud the GM's judgment too.

Case in point, I'd take Horcoff, Penner, and Gilbert over Hemsky, Peckham, and Linus Omark. The former aren't flashy, but they are effective more games than not. Hemsky and Omark are certainly flashy, but they aren't giving you the solid hockey you need every game. Though most wouldn't call Teddy Peckham flashy, his ability to deliver big hits gives him that wow-factor that fans love, but he's no Gilbert . . . yet.

I guess my point is that most fans would take my latter group over the first one, but I think they'd be wrong.

#35 Clyde Frog
February 16 2011, 06:24PM

I'm just not sure you trade either Penner or Hemsky unless you KNOW you can't resign them.

Both are better NOW than a top 5 pick and both will be better in the next 5 years than a 4-30 pick for sure. Barring winning the lottery, pigs flying, etc.

I just look at all the teams on the cusp, who we will want to compete against over the next 2-4 years for the playoffs and if they are so desperate for the talent we have in 2 players... If we make this trade today, what will stop us mortgaging our future in a few years to try and get the same types of players back?

#36 Steve Smith
February 16 2011, 06:31PM
Crackenbury wrote:

Hemsky is not going to re-sign here. His focus is and always has been on himself and he doesn't like being thrust into the role of mentor to the kids. He's gone by the deadline.

It's funny, because you tell somebody to get over himself, then immediately post that. The unintentional humour: it's why I come here. Well, that and the trolling. And Willis (and LT, though I get plenty of him elsewhere).

#37 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 16 2011, 07:27PM
Dennis wrote:

I like 89 as much as the next guy but he doesn't project to be a great centre and we've got lots of young talented kids and young Bogo has a great pedigree.

and if we pick him up in a trade like this then we can draft a centre come june.

My issue with trading Gagner for Bogo is essentially stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

Sure we are starved for NHL caliber young dmen, but you could say the same about the center position.

To me anyways, it makes alot more sense to deal from our one position of strength rather then another position of weakness.

#38 albertabeef
February 16 2011, 08:17PM

Crackenbury, RossCreek - which one of you guys helped Al Gore invent the internet?

#39 Bi-Curious Gord
February 16 2011, 08:50PM

Well I guess this thread has come to a screeching halt now that 2 WINNERS are going back and forth over who was first to start a rumour. How about this: You guys are both Super-Smart Hockey Insiders!!

#40 Oilcruzer
February 16 2011, 07:27AM

Disagree

The early returns are that he is not what the Oil need. If going high trade cost, it needs to be a playmaker D or centre or goalie.

Shea Weber material? Don't think so.

#43 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 16 2011, 07:37AM

Is Atlanta still happy with Oduya? I know some fans didn't really like him earlier in the year. Maybe we try shore up our defense with more than just a young Bogosian.

#44 JeffG
February 16 2011, 07:38AM

Start negotiations with Sam Gagner for Bogosian. (might have to throw in a Petry)

#45 SumOil
February 16 2011, 07:48AM

Since the rumor first popped up regarding Bogosian, I have been thinking of ways to acquire him. He is perfect for the current Oilers and could be an anchor for the defense for years to come

#46 SumOil
February 16 2011, 07:49AM

@ Oilcruzer

What was Shea Weber at 20?

#47 Chappy
February 16 2011, 07:52AM

Bogosian? Sure.

What's it cost?

(PS: I like Hemsky. A lot.)

#48 Dodd
February 16 2011, 07:52AM

At only $1Mill/ year until summer, he will need re-signing, likely costing $2.5/ per....

Tempting to skip a couple development years, as long as we don't have to throw him Gilbert money to stay.

#49 Jon K
February 16 2011, 07:58AM

What would be the modern equivalent of Roman Hamrlik? Ryan Whitney?

#50 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 07:58AM

I think Bogosian is the only player that has come up in the rumors so far that may be worthwhile trading Hemsky for. Hemsky and Smid for Bogosian?