Trade Target: Bogosian

Lowetide
February 16 2011 07:26AM

This is Zach Bogosian. 20-years old, he plays the toughest opposition available, has size and can handle himself. And he might be available.
 

Nick Kypreos has connections and a twitter account, plus he's an NHL Insider. When he tweets:

  • "Bogosian hasn't officially asked to be traded but it's been noted he's not happy and would like change of scenery by next season."

I start thinking about ways to get him on the roster. Nothing against Adam Larsson, but if the Oilers take him with their lottery pick this summer it will be followed by at least two or three years of development. Defensemen develop by sundial, history tells us that much. Bogosian's growing pains are already well underway and a true defenseman is coming out the other side.

How good is Bogosian? Well his boxcars this season (47gp, 4-7-11 -16)  aren't spectacular but he's not a one trick pony either. What does he do? He handles the heavy lifting in Atlanta, as this chart shows (chart here) and if he's available the Oilers have to take a look at it. imo.

I'm not suggesting the Oilers trade their lottery pick for Bogosian, but a package of picks and players might be enough to pry him from the Thrashers. 6.03, 205 and his scouting report shines:

  • Has great mobility. Owns a huge shot from the point and sound offensive ability. Is very aggressive and capable of shutting down opposing forwards.

That from HN.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#51 VK63
February 16 2011, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Interesting fit for the Oil. Id like a one week trial run paired with wreckum, if total mayhem ensued..... do it up.

Avatar
#52 upper-deck-drunk
February 16 2011, 09:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Put me in the trade Hemsky for Bogosion. But i wouldn't be adding to much more. Hemmer is a proven asset and can be the tipping point for a few teams out there. We need a top end dman. End of story. We'll win more games with a better defense then we Will with hemsky. We have players that can step into Hemsky's roll. We have no one that can step into a top minutes hard nose shutdown defensemen role. And if you think Larsson is the second coming of Lidstrom, ask yourself if you're willing to gamble on A) him being available if we don't draft first and B) hint actually turning into a top dman. Im willing ti take the safer route abduction trade for someone that is further in their development.

Down with the dangle!!!

Avatar
#53 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 09:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

An overpayment in the short term is what it will take and it will be worth it.

Hemsky, Smid, prospect(martindale? sell high), pick (2nd or 3rd).

Bogosian would be a fixture on the top pairing for years. His value has never been lower and Atl is desperate for playoffs. Perfect storm.

Avatar
#54 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 09:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM

I would say Pitlick is on that list of untouchables as is Peckham and you want to trade them with Hemsky for a questionable unproven player. Yes he would be a great pick up, but I rather trade Hemsky, Smid and Edmonton's 2nd 2011 pick to Boston for TYLER SEGUIN or Hemsky and Cogs for Bostons 1st (toronto's 1st) and Joe COLBORNE.

Avatar
#55 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 10:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
madjam wrote:

Florida has 3 youngsters Oilers should be interested in trying to obtain in Gudbranson , Howden and Bjugstad . Any ideas of a possible trade here ?

Would love to have Gudbranson here, and Florida is another team that is in the need of offence. There is a possible trade there, it would be costly though. But Gudbranson is got the potential to be better then any defenseman available in this years draft.

Avatar
#56 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
CSimpson18 wrote:

An overpayment in the short term is what it will take and it will be worth it.

Hemsky, Smid, prospect(martindale? sell high), pick (2nd or 3rd).

Bogosian would be a fixture on the top pairing for years. His value has never been lower and Atl is desperate for playoffs. Perfect storm.

Absolutely correct! We should completely trade our best player and second pairing D for a young player with only a couple years behind him playing in a hockey market that doesn't care. Young studs always love the pressure of playing in Edmonton and rise up to meet it. This strategy was wonderful when we aquired Lupul.

Avatar
#57 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What makes me upset about the whole Hemsky + ? for Bogosian idea is that we should have a good #2 D in the roster as we speak (shall not be named, playing in Hershey). Just such a bad situation and now we may have to trade away the best Oiler through the past ~5 years just to shore up this position again. Sorry, just venting but sometimes I hate the free agent + Edmonton Oilers scenario.

Avatar
#58 Maverick
February 16 2011, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
derrickhands wrote:

Would love to have Gudbranson here, and Florida is another team that is in the need of offence. There is a possible trade there, it would be costly though. But Gudbranson is got the potential to be better then any defenseman available in this years draft.

Plus Gudbranson refused to sign his entry level contract that Florida offered him in the fall. Perhaps he doesn't want to play in Florida.

Avatar
#59 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 16 2011, 10:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
derrickhands wrote:

I would say Pitlick is on that list of untouchables as is Peckham and you want to trade them with Hemsky for a questionable unproven player. Yes he would be a great pick up, but I rather trade Hemsky, Smid and Edmonton's 2nd 2011 pick to Boston for TYLER SEGUIN or Hemsky and Cogs for Bostons 1st (toronto's 1st) and Joe COLBORNE.

Considering Peckham probably doesn't even crack half the defenses in the league (as is bottom pairing on the 14 others that he does), I'd hardly call him "untouchable".

Avatar
#60 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 10:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hemmertime wrote:

Absolutely correct! We should completely trade our best player and second pairing D for a young player with only a couple years behind him playing in a hockey market that doesn't care. Young studs always love the pressure of playing in Edmonton and rise up to meet it. This strategy was wonderful when we aquired Lupul.

The only reason that Smid is a 2nd pairing D is because he plays for the Oilers. I'm not saying that he has hit his ceiling, I'm just saying what is.

Avatar
#61 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 10:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
derrickhands wrote:

I would say Pitlick is on that list of untouchables as is Peckham and you want to trade them with Hemsky for a questionable unproven player. Yes he would be a great pick up, but I rather trade Hemsky, Smid and Edmonton's 2nd 2011 pick to Boston for TYLER SEGUIN or Hemsky and Cogs for Bostons 1st (toronto's 1st) and Joe COLBORNE.

Seems like Boston's latest trade puts that pick out of reach for the Oilers. They may have filled their need for a forward and now only want defense. They may even scoop Bogosian, though I don't know if Atlanta would want to help out Boston.

Avatar
#62 Death Metal Nightmare
February 16 2011, 10:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sam Gagner, Smid and a pick

Avatar
#63 Chris.
February 16 2011, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can't believe it's still over 120 HOURS till the trade deadline! This is driving me crazy!

*Edit* 288 HOURS! AAAAAAAAAAUUUUGHHHH!

Avatar
#64 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
February 16 2011, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
derrickhands wrote:

I would say Pitlick is on that list of untouchables as is Peckham and you want to trade them with Hemsky for a questionable unproven player. Yes he would be a great pick up, but I rather trade Hemsky, Smid and Edmonton's 2nd 2011 pick to Boston for TYLER SEGUIN or Hemsky and Cogs for Bostons 1st (toronto's 1st) and Joe COLBORNE.

Really? You think Chiarelli would trade Seguin for that? This isn't NHL 11, you have to quit overrating the Oilers players. Do you think the Oilers would trade Hall to Boston for Savard (between concussions), Ference and a low 1st or high 2nd?

Also, Toronto's first would take a huge overpayment. Hemsky and Cogs may not even get Colborne out of Boston.

Pitlick is probably not untouchable as we have prospects such as Lander, Omarra and to a lesser extent Vandevelde. If Pitlick helps you land a guy like Bogosian you do it.

Avatar
#65 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't see it, Ive only seen Bogosian in a single digit amount of games (6-8 Id say), but the biggest thing he brings to the table is youth. I don't see him as any better than many other older free agents and 30 year olds we can acquire via trade. He could, or even should, get better as time goes but trading your best FW's to get someone who isn't going to be your best D (Whitney) is very risky. Especially a D man that brings little offense to the table - thats way more easily replicated than Hemsky's skill-set.

Lots of people say Hemmers skill-set is replaced by Omark and Gagner if we move him. Omark has 3 goals and looks more like Robert Nilsson than Hemsky most shifts. Sam Gagner is a prospect trending downward - hes iffy to even be a 2nd line producer at best nowadays, the comparisons to Spezza, Damphousse, and Gilmour are all garbage now. Each of those players topped 90 pts by 4th season or sooner. Ol Samwise will be lucky to hit 50.

A "tough" D man isnt something you trade your best player for, its something a competent GM aquires for your team giving up minimal assets. I am hoping Bogosians age doesn't throw up blinders to logical moves. Last thing we need is a 20 year old with a bad enough attitude to make it known he wants to move teams. He will absolutely LOVE going to a last place team.

Avatar
#66 sizzler
February 16 2011, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gagner for Bogosian.

Avatar
#67 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Death Metal Nightmare wrote:

Sam Gagner, Smid and a pick

x 10 props, This is a logical proposal. A pick, not THE pick. :)

Avatar
#68 JAA
February 16 2011, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

And, last but not least, Mr. Ales Hemsky. This is the second time I've mentioned that a Hemsky deal is very close, and it does seem a bit odd coming from an Ottawa Senators blogger, but I'm pretty confident in saying that both Los Angeles and Pittsburgh have made sizable offers and remain the lead dogs in this race. The Kings have been especially forthright about acquiring Hemsky, desperate for some help on the wings and playmaking ability in the offensive end.

Apparently, the Kings are more than willing to give up Wayne Simmonds as part of a multi-player/pick deal with Edmonton, but the Oilers are very interested in two things: First, the first round draft pick that Los Angeles holds. Second, Brayden Schenn, who has become the prized possession of the Kings' farm system.

The Kings love Schenn, but if it meant bringing in a proven commodity like Ales Hemsky who could completely revitalize a stagnant offense, would Lombardi pull the trigger? Have to imagine the pressure is mounting after each big-named player heads to another destination, and perhaps the two sides can come to terms. One thing's for sure: Steve Tambellini is swinging for the fences.

Travis Yost Ottawa Senators Blogger

Avatar
#69 Chris.
February 16 2011, 10:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Lowetide

Hey LT. You made reference on your other site that calling up Chorney (say as opposed to... I dunno: Petiot) is a really "interesting decision."

Do you think maybe Toonces is showcasing Chorney?

Avatar
#70 Dman09
February 16 2011, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Hemmertime

In all fairness to Sam and Omark and the guys you were cutting down, you cannot predict a players career based off of one season especially on a bad team in the beginning of a rebuild. Spezza and Damphousse, you might want to have a look at the teams they were playing on in their fourth years. They were far better overall then Edmonton is which makes it easier for them to hit those numbers.

Avatar
#71 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 10:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
kinnick kinnick wrote:

Seems like Boston's latest trade puts that pick out of reach for the Oilers. They may have filled their need for a forward and now only want defense. They may even scoop Bogosian, though I don't know if Atlanta would want to help out Boston.

I believe Boston is in the market for a top 6 winger, and they overloader with Centerman. Which means either Seguin is going to sit (because of the trade for Chris Kelly) or sent down to the Juniors. Also I don't believe Boston's scouts were in the stands last night to see any of our defenseman.

Avatar
#72 GRW
February 16 2011, 10:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
kinnick kinnick wrote:

I think Bogosian is the only player that has come up in the rumors so far that may be worthwhile trading Hemsky for. Hemsky and Smid for Bogosian?

bettor yet Hemmer&gibles

Avatar
#73 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 10:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
derrickhands wrote:

I believe Boston is in the market for a top 6 winger, and they overloader with Centerman. Which means either Seguin is going to sit (because of the trade for Chris Kelly) or sent down to the Juniors. Also I don't believe Boston's scouts were in the stands last night to see any of our defenseman.

No, but they may have been there for the cheap beer and high flying entertainment that are the Oilers' Octane!

Avatar
#74 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 10:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dman09 wrote:

In all fairness to Sam and Omark and the guys you were cutting down, you cannot predict a players career based off of one season especially on a bad team in the beginning of a rebuild. Spezza and Damphousse, you might want to have a look at the teams they were playing on in their fourth years. They were far better overall then Edmonton is which makes it easier for them to hit those numbers.

Flip side of that, on far better teams they get less opportunity and minutes. Damphousse had the great Gary Leeman, Ed Olczyk, Daniel Marois, and Marc Osbourne to pad his stats... ya... the 58 pts in 111 games he put up after being moved from Damphousse's wing really showcase his talents. Sergei Makarov and Joe Mullen were on Gilmours wings. Spezza you can argue was the third best player on his line. So maybe Gags is more like Spezza. Omark was not compared to those guys. Was compared to Robert Nilsson, I love Omark but hes played less than 30 nhl games and has 3 goals. Not the basket to put your eggs in.

Avatar
#75 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 10:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Hemmertime wrote:

Absolutely correct! We should completely trade our best player and second pairing D for a young player with only a couple years behind him playing in a hockey market that doesn't care. Young studs always love the pressure of playing in Edmonton and rise up to meet it. This strategy was wonderful when we aquired Lupul.

Best player: Hemsky. Not for long, he's got 1 year left and Oilers can't afford him AND Penner in 3 years after HPE get their 2nd contracts. Why not maximize value.

Smid: Nice player, not going above 4th best Dman on a playoff team. Not dime-a-dozen, but close.

Comparing Lupul and Bogosian? RIDICULOUS, give your head a shake.

If young studs can't handle Edmonton we better trade Hall and Eberle now...When was the last time we had a young stud on defense anyway? I can't think of any.

You've got to understand asset value and what will help when the Oilers are going to contend.

Avatar
#76 FastOil
February 16 2011, 10:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemsky is worth Bogosian straight up. If he had a better bill of health there would be more coming our way. Hemsky is an established veteran (still young with a year left on a good contract) and Bogosian is still developing and is RFA after the season.

That deal is absolutely worth it, leaving the first to get a proper sized centreman other than Horcoff.

Just as the Flames built a team to try to contend with the Oilers at their peak, rebuilding the Oilers now must be done with an eye to who they will have to defeat to win the Cup. It's the point of the whole process.

Having some quality physical defencemen is key to becoming a harder team to play against. Smid is trying, but I don't think it's his natural game and it's getting him hurt a lot.

Even if Couturier isn't a superstar, he plays two ways, and well at even strength, is good at face offs, and has the size to handle the multiple good big centres we will have to beat to get anywhere in the playoffs - Toews, Kopitar, Duchene, and all the guys in the east.

As good as Gagner is I still don't see him beating guys 20-30 pounds heavier, faster and just as hockey smart. He doesn't own having "vision" and hockey IQ. And asking him to play big I think will lead him to injuries with his size disadvantage - it's not his game. If he's staying, use him where he can be most effective.

I also think that asking players to play too far outside of their natural style of game that got them to the NHL is partially leading to the injuries.

Smid for eg. tries play tough, but keeps getting hurt. Players learn to play a certain way in junior or wherever, part of which is how to be effective enough to get drafted, and also to play at a high level and not get hurt. When they then are asked to play differently in the bigs (often more physically or to fight), it seems they don't have the instincts of positioning against opponents and take awkward hits, or hit their heads against the boards or glass during contact. Or get punched out.

Asking Gagner to play a more physical game (against those big centres) I think will lead him to injuries with his size disadvantage - it's not his game. I think it's best to acquire players that play the style of game you want and have the tools, instead of trying to change players into a role they don't suit.

Avatar
#77 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 10:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@CSimpson18

Comparing a 2006 Lupul and Bogosian as both young players with chips on their shoulders is completely fair. Unless you think Lupul isnt a douche (oh he so totally is). The fact a 20 yr old wants out and its known is a big strike against that player in my mind. The fact the Oilers are losers is also not going to help that.

They have completely different playstyles, but both went in the top 10 in draft. Both have less than 3 years before coming to the Oilers - if the trade is done - both have personality questions. Both would come in under intense pressure after the Oilers traded elite talent for them.

I think even after shaking my head its fair.

Avatar
#78 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 11:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM wrote:

Really? You think Chiarelli would trade Seguin for that? This isn't NHL 11, you have to quit overrating the Oilers players. Do you think the Oilers would trade Hall to Boston for Savard (between concussions), Ference and a low 1st or high 2nd?

Also, Toronto's first would take a huge overpayment. Hemsky and Cogs may not even get Colborne out of Boston.

Pitlick is probably not untouchable as we have prospects such as Lander, Omarra and to a lesser extent Vandevelde. If Pitlick helps you land a guy like Bogosian you do it.

Let see Pitlick is a big fast Centerman, great hands and skill, that's willing to hit and muck it up, then you have Colborne who's OK skater, with great hands and skill, but is soft. I think I take Pitlick any day before I would touch Colborne, also Pitlick is 2 years younger. Also you cannot compare Lander, Omarra and VandeVelde with Pitlick, because the first 3 are projected 3rd line players and Pitlick is projected as a solid 2nd line player. Watch a Tigers game and you will see that Pitlick is the real deal.

Avatar
#79 michael
February 16 2011, 11:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Thrashers "have to" make the playoffs. They are dying down there. The fan base is nonexistent. They need something to grab the attention of the local market. The Falcons, Braves, the Hawks, Nascar and the college teams all are ahead of the Thrashers. This is a team that will eventually move to somewhere else. It is unlikely that they will be able to survive much longer in that market. By making the playoffs the Thrashers will ensure that the value of the franchise when sold is equal to or not more than what they paid for the team. Bogosian can see the writing on the wall. It says "Dustin Byflugian signs 5 year extension". If I am Bogosian I am asking myself this" Where do I fit". The answer is.you don't. The Oilers would do well to kick the tires and see what the asking price is for Bogosian. The Oilers are not going to draft Larsson. They need a center for Hall and Eberle. They need a dman but will either find him in thier organization(Maricini) or will trade or sign through free agency to get one. I think Bogosian for Sam Gagne and Smid and pick sounds fair and reasonable.

Avatar
#80 Hemmertime
February 16 2011, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@CSimpson18

Also, Why are you and everyone planning on huge raises for Hall Paajarvi and Eberle and trading 2 years ahead of time to keep space for their contracts?

If we have salary problems because our rookies turned into good players THAT IS A GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE. Chicago won the cup and had to dump 11 players. I guess they should have dumped 6 of those 11 ahead of time to keep the other 5. Who cares if they dont win the cup last year, its salary for next year if someone they draft becomes good! Or they still have Byfuglien

Keep a little salary available, but dont base trading top players on the possibility that all 3 of your rookies command over 5 mil a season. For one, not going to happen. Two, when it doesnt happen we're still dead last because we've dealt away any proven NHL players and no one will sign since we suck - with a couple decent rookies (sound like a few years ago?) Finally, if all 3 do require big raises, trade one or someone else. Chicago did all right even though all GM's knew they were in a bind.

Avatar
#81 Steve Smith
February 16 2011, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
SumOil wrote:

What?? Dude go ahead and check out behindthenet stats for all defensemen. Gilbert is worth his cap hit.

Do you come here often?

Avatar
#82 VMR
February 16 2011, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@JAA

Top notch source there, a blogger on HockeyBuzz. Yikes!! At least it wasnt Eklund.

Avatar
#83 kinnick kinnick
February 16 2011, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Apparently Souray didn't play last night, upper body injury.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/02/hershey_bears_beat_norfolk_adm_3.html

Avatar
#84 Dman09
February 16 2011, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@michael

It is still a possibility that Edm could try and trade for another top draft pick or take a bit lower one and then try and move on draft day. Its possible to get a centre, I'd prefer Sean because of his size especially for the current Edm team, and a defenseman.

Avatar
#85 jake
February 16 2011, 11:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Why is Bogosian unhappy in Atlanta? That's the first thing I need to know as a GM.

Avatar
#86 Dan the Man
February 16 2011, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

After losing Kovalchuck I think Atlanta would likely want a trade that they could sell to their fans in any deal involving Bogosian so I think Hemsky would fit that bill.

He's an established player that would help them now as opposed to someone who may help them in a few years, although the Oil may need to include a prospect to get this deal done.

I say if it's there do it!

Avatar
#87 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
February 16 2011, 11:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@derrickhands

You do realize that I never once said that I would take Colborne over Pitlick right? The reason I put Pitlick into my original proposal was because he is a valuable prospect that might be what it takes to get Bogosian. You may think that you can trade the injury prone Smid and Hemsky for gold, but that's a good reason why it will never happen. The precedent has been set pretty high thanks to Ottawa. If you want someone good by this deadline it's going to cost you.

Avatar
#88 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hemmertime wrote:

Also, Why are you and everyone planning on huge raises for Hall Paajarvi and Eberle and trading 2 years ahead of time to keep space for their contracts?

If we have salary problems because our rookies turned into good players THAT IS A GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE. Chicago won the cup and had to dump 11 players. I guess they should have dumped 6 of those 11 ahead of time to keep the other 5. Who cares if they dont win the cup last year, its salary for next year if someone they draft becomes good! Or they still have Byfuglien

Keep a little salary available, but dont base trading top players on the possibility that all 3 of your rookies command over 5 mil a season. For one, not going to happen. Two, when it doesnt happen we're still dead last because we've dealt away any proven NHL players and no one will sign since we suck - with a couple decent rookies (sound like a few years ago?) Finally, if all 3 do require big raises, trade one or someone else. Chicago did all right even though all GM's knew they were in a bind.

Look at the evidence(try btn) and tell me Lupul and Bogosian should even be mentioned in the same breath. Draft position has nothing to do with my comment. Hall and Eberle will get raises to something like 5.5 for Hall and 4.5 for Eberle, maybe more maybe less. PRV is more of a question mark because a forward has to produce and he hasn't YET(he will).

Having cap problems because management is as short sighted as "some" fans is not a good problem. Having 8 good forwards and no good defensemen is not a good problem. Deal from a position of strength to address a position of weakness.

If the return guarantees you 6 years of control over a very solid asset rather than 1 year, how is that not a clear victory? You think the 2014 oilers are more likely to win the cup with Hemsky than they are with a 24 year old Bogosian? Really? Hint-you're wrong.

Avatar
#89 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 16 2011, 11:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
CSimpson18 wrote:

Look at the evidence(try btn) and tell me Lupul and Bogosian should even be mentioned in the same breath. Draft position has nothing to do with my comment. Hall and Eberle will get raises to something like 5.5 for Hall and 4.5 for Eberle, maybe more maybe less. PRV is more of a question mark because a forward has to produce and he hasn't YET(he will).

Having cap problems because management is as short sighted as "some" fans is not a good problem. Having 8 good forwards and no good defensemen is not a good problem. Deal from a position of strength to address a position of weakness.

If the return guarantees you 6 years of control over a very solid asset rather than 1 year, how is that not a clear victory? You think the 2014 oilers are more likely to win the cup with Hemsky than they are with a 24 year old Bogosian? Really? Hint-you're wrong.

Well in 2014 Hemsky will still be in his prime while Bogosian will likley still have some "young Dman struggles"

If you are talking 2018 Oilers however....

Avatar
#90 The Beaker
February 16 2011, 11:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Question:

If an injury riddled Pittsburg, or "trying to breach the bubble" teams like the kings or thrashers want Hemsky (or any purchase to help them get over the hump) Why wait until the deadline? Maybe my logic doesn't make sense in the hockey world but realistically if you are trading for a player like Hemsky to make a push wouldnt the extra games that player will help you prior to deadline day be that much more valuable? Why not get it done sooner than later (for both sides)?

Avatar
#91 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Well in 2014 Hemsky will still be in his prime while Bogosian will likley still have some "young Dman struggles"

If you are talking 2018 Oilers however....

32 year old Hemsky, in his prime? Not so sure on that. Forwards peak 25-29.

Avatar
#92 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
February 16 2011, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If Gudbranson doesn't sign by a certain date, he becomes part of the 2011 entry draft doesn't he?

Have to think Tallon does all he can to trade him rather than take that compensatory pick from the league. Like to see the Oilers get another shot at him, be great to have another tough sombeach on the blueline.

Avatar
#93 Mouse
February 16 2011, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Beaker wrote:

Question:

If an injury riddled Pittsburg, or "trying to breach the bubble" teams like the kings or thrashers want Hemsky (or any purchase to help them get over the hump) Why wait until the deadline? Maybe my logic doesn't make sense in the hockey world but realistically if you are trading for a player like Hemsky to make a push wouldnt the extra games that player will help you prior to deadline day be that much more valuable? Why not get it done sooner than later (for both sides)?

Usually only reason to wait is for salary cap reasons. If you don't have them and can afford the extra salary, then teams usually make moves earlier.

Avatar
#94 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 12:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM wrote:

You do realize that I never once said that I would take Colborne over Pitlick right? The reason I put Pitlick into my original proposal was because he is a valuable prospect that might be what it takes to get Bogosian. You may think that you can trade the injury prone Smid and Hemsky for gold, but that's a good reason why it will never happen. The precedent has been set pretty high thanks to Ottawa. If you want someone good by this deadline it's going to cost you.

You said that it would take a lot more then Hemsky and Cogs just to get Colborne. Also right now Boston is under pressure to win the cup and a lot of fans are not please with Seguin's play. Since you've place so much value on Colborne, why keep Seguin. Alot of Boston fans consider Seguin a bust and are not willing to wait for his development. Hemsky could win Boston that cup, that why I think the trade is possible, especially after last nights game.

Avatar
#95 The Beaker
February 16 2011, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Mouse

Thanks, makes sense. So then when is their next pay period? Is it on trade deadline day? BTW I cant wait, the suspense (and all the guesswork) is killing me.

Avatar
#96 derrickhands
February 16 2011, 12:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

If Gudbranson doesn't sign by a certain date, he becomes part of the 2011 entry draft doesn't he?

Have to think Tallon does all he can to trade him rather than take that compensatory pick from the league. Like to see the Oilers get another shot at him, be great to have another tough sombeach on the blueline.

It would be the 2012 draft

Avatar
#97 risto
February 16 2011, 12:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Hemmertime

My thoughts exactly. Trading your best player for young potential? Even Klowe has seen the light on what will be his defining GM moment (despite the Smyth/end-of-an-era debacle on Messier jersey retirement night)

When did Hemsky's value plummet in everyone's mind?

Avatar
#98 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 12:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
derrickhands wrote:

You said that it would take a lot more then Hemsky and Cogs just to get Colborne. Also right now Boston is under pressure to win the cup and a lot of fans are not please with Seguin's play. Since you've place so much value on Colborne, why keep Seguin. Alot of Boston fans consider Seguin a bust and are not willing to wait for his development. Hemsky could win Boston that cup, that why I think the trade is possible, especially after last nights game.

Seguin a bust? Give me a break...

Avatar
#99 Steve Smith
February 16 2011, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@CSimpson18

In fairness, he didn't say that Seguin was a bust, he said that "Alot [sic] of Boston fans consider Seguin a bust". Since I see no reason to assume that Boston fans are smarter than Edmonton fans, I have no trouble believing that that's true.

Avatar
#100 CSimpson18
February 16 2011, 12:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Steve Smith wrote:

In fairness, he didn't say that Seguin was a bust, he said that "Alot [sic] of Boston fans consider Seguin a bust". Since I see no reason to assume that Boston fans are smarter than Edmonton fans, I have no trouble believing that that's true.

I don't even believe that about bruin fans. Unless your sample consists of Damien Cox and his family, or maybe a kindergarten class.

Comments are closed for this article.