10 (for the Oilers)

Lowetide
February 27 2011 07:40AM

This is a big trade deadline for Steve Tambellini and the Edmonton Oilers. The biggest prize available is within their grasp, and in this case "it's an honor just to be nominated" isn't good enough.

This appears to be a somewhat unique trade deadline, with NHL general managers willing to do "hockey trades" as opposed to rentals and waiver deals. Colorado and St. Louis made a blockbuster trade leading up to the deadline and Dallas and Pittsburgh did the same.

Is there a window for Steve Tambellini and Dean Lombardi to do the same? Maybe. Here's my list of 10 "for the Oilers" this weekend. Not all will be available, and some play for teams that don't plan to offload anyone. Still, there's value here and if available one hopes ST is on the phone.

BIG TIME

  1. D Zach Bogosian: I know Jim Matheson has an article up on the EJ, but I'm not stealing from him. ON readers will remember that we discussed this player a couple of weeks ago (here). This is a young D with size and some crust PLUS he’s being used in more of a defensive role in Atlanta. There have been rumors about his unhappiness in Georgia and if there’s a hint of an opportunity then that’s the guy to target. Ideal acquisition for the Oilers. Edmonton has a spot on their PP to make the young man happy and he's that stud on the blue the club needs badly.
  2. L Nikolai Kulemin: Possibly the Leafs best player. He’s responsible, skilled and isn’t a wallflower. 6.01, 225 and plays hard all the time. Burke is unlikely to give up this player easily, but you have to give in order to get and the Leafs are known to be interested in Dustin Penner and have knocked on the door in regard to Andrew Cogliano in the past.
  3. C Braydon Schenn: If the Oilers deal Hemsky, then surely Steve Tambellini will have had the courage of his convictions and the steel of his words over the last couple of weeks. If you’re going to make the roster younger, then potential is the watch word and no other prospect available (that I’ve read about) has the potential of Schenn. A kid line of Schenn-Hall-Eberle is something to get excited about for 11-12.
  4. C Kyle Turris: He’s still a kid and is showing progress. Turris has a nice 5x5/60 total (2.26, 17th overall among NHL centermen) and above 50% on the dot. Still a ways to go, but he has draft pedigree and might come at a good price at the deadline.
  5. D Michael Del Zotto: Good size with plus speed and offensive ability. He’s struggled this season but that’s the only reason he might be available. Can make big hits and is an expert outlet passer. Rangers gave the Oilers a big lift during the 91-94 rebuild, maybe they’ll do it again.

SOLID

  1. C Stephen Weiss: I know he’s not an impact center, but he’s an experienced player with some nice secondary numbers. He’s in the leagues top 15 centers for relCorsi and helps offensively. I know his skills are duplicated on the roster but this gives the team more experience at center. Plus he’s 54% in the faceoff dot and is facing the toughest competition according to behind the net.
  2.  C Brian Boyle: He’s 6.07, 252. He’s a natural center and he’s having a breakout season. He’d come at a high cost but the Oilers need a guy like him. Can win faceoffs (48% on a team that is collectively poor at the discipline) and he’s making a little more than 500k.
  3.  F Andreas Nodl: He has size and a nice range of skills. Lacks natural offensive talent but he’s playing tough competition and flourishing. Some of it might be because of his linemates and the quality of the team he’s playing for, but he’s at the very least worth checking out.
  4. D Mark Fayne: I don’t know a lot about him but the guy is huge and is posting good numbers as a rookie. Maybe the best player nobody knows about in the entire league.
  5. D Sami Lepisto: Young veteran who has good puck skills. Doesn’t play the tough opposition with PHX but he plays a lot and is effective. He hasn’t posted big numbers in the NHL but he isn’t on the PP a lot either. 2 minutes a night on the PK.
C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#101 Chris.
February 27 2011, 02:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

I've been agreeing with more and more of your takes lately; but I think you're wrong about Bogosian. He left a welt the size of a toonie on Dubnyk's arm through his blocker last time Atlanta was in town. Bogosian is still tracking to be a big minute horse, the kind of player who can anchor a top two pairing. I'm not sure if he'd be a fit here in Edmonton... But it's a good bet he'll have a great career somewhere.

Avatar
#102 Archaeologuy
February 27 2011, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Chris.

I've admitted this before, so I'll do it again, I just dont like the player. I havent been a fan, ever. I would take Schenn over Bogosian every day of the week in the world of imaginary trades.

Avatar
#103 Mitch
February 27 2011, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zarf wrote:

Kyle Turris?

You mean the one playing in Phoenix right now? Hasn't he been up and down between the NHL team and the AHL team this season? Doesn't he have, like, less than half-a-point a game this season?

Isn't he the guy that's headed for the high-first-round-bust territory?

He was rushed into the league too early and the Coyotes are paying dearly for it now. I don't think we should reward them for that by trading them a decent player off of our team.

Ok lets keep watching a bunch of overrated smurfs night after night and drink the koolaid, I will say Gagner looked better in his rookie season than he does now. Turris has better size and is a better skater, too major components which Sam is lacking. You can't contiue to be this small and ever expect to reach any level of success.

Avatar
#105 Zarf
February 27 2011, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mitch wrote:

Ok lets keep watching a bunch of overrated smurfs night after night and drink the koolaid, I will say Gagner looked better in his rookie season than he does now. Turris has better size and is a better skater, too major components which Sam is lacking. You can't contiue to be this small and ever expect to reach any level of success.

OK, you've got me there. Turris is definitely bigger than Gagner. He's probably a better skater, but I can't say I know that for sure.

But neither really means that much. If Turris isn't able to parlay that into better offensive numbers than he's got right now, then I'm not sure if I'd be trading for him.

Agreed on the need to trade for some size. But if Turris isn't gritty or tough enough to go along with that size and he's not going into corners or the dirty spots to get points, then basically, you're trading for another target for all of us armchair GMs on ON to rip.

Avatar
#106 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 27 2011, 03:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Maybe Paajarvi isn't a name they expected would be available. Lombardi did say it would take something significant to have Schenn included, could be the starting point for a larger/future deal.... maybe Hemsky,Paajarvi in exchance for Schenn,Simmonds and a top prospect, who knows where this train goes. There has to be something i've written here you can squish under your runner though OB1, isn't there?

PRV + Hemsky for Schenn+ makes some sense for LA. PRV as the main piece doesn't.

Big difference.

Avatar
#107 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 27 2011, 03:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mitch wrote:

Ok lets keep watching a bunch of overrated smurfs night after night and drink the koolaid, I will say Gagner looked better in his rookie season than he does now. Turris has better size and is a better skater, too major components which Sam is lacking. You can't contiue to be this small and ever expect to reach any level of success.

Chad Kilger "looked" alot better then Luc Robitaille.

Avatar
#108 stevezie
February 27 2011, 03:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Kilger won our hardest shot competition and our fastest skater! Dude was fantastic at skills competitions. Robataille couldn't skate and didn't hit, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Avatar
#109 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 27 2011, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
stevezie wrote:

Kilger won our hardest shot competition and our fastest skater! Dude was fantastic at skills competitions. Robataille couldn't skate and didn't hit, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is exactly what you posted.

Take the names off the back of the jersey and 9/10 guys pick Kilger as the player to have... like you said, he had all the tools.

Robataille had very few tools yet he's a HHOF'er.

Moral of the story: Looks can be deceving and even though Turris likely has better skills competition results, Gagner is the better hockey player (up until this point anyways)

Avatar
#110 Razzer
February 27 2011, 03:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think all these thoughts are great besides one. the biggest mistake the oilers can make is trading hemsky for schenn. Hemsky has proven to be the best player on the team year after year and has prove him self in the NHL proving he can put points up even when he has to do it by himself. Schenn is a prospect he hasn't played in the NHL yet. we don't if he will be good or if he will choke. i say Penner for Schenn could you believe hemsky, schenn, and hall as the first line!

hemsky is still 27 and in a rebuild we need a couple older experienced players to teach and lead the team.

Avatar
#111 stevezie
February 27 2011, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

I was agreeing with you.

Avatar
#112 Crash
February 27 2011, 04:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mitch wrote:

Ok lets keep watching a bunch of overrated smurfs night after night and drink the koolaid, I will say Gagner looked better in his rookie season than he does now. Turris has better size and is a better skater, too major components which Sam is lacking. You can't contiue to be this small and ever expect to reach any level of success.

Uhhh, Mitch, Turris is only 2 inches taller than Gagner and 6 lbs lighter and hasn't been able to find his way into the lineup on a regular basis....his numbers suck too...not sure why you would want to trade a better player for one who is worse at the same age. Plus you even suggested giving more?

Avatar
#113 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 27 2011, 04:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
stevezie wrote:

I was agreeing with you.

Ah, my bad.

"so I'm not sure what your point is."

Threw me off.

Avatar
#114 Kodiak
February 27 2011, 04:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Razzer wrote:

I think all these thoughts are great besides one. the biggest mistake the oilers can make is trading hemsky for schenn. Hemsky has proven to be the best player on the team year after year and has prove him self in the NHL proving he can put points up even when he has to do it by himself. Schenn is a prospect he hasn't played in the NHL yet. we don't if he will be good or if he will choke. i say Penner for Schenn could you believe hemsky, schenn, and hall as the first line!

hemsky is still 27 and in a rebuild we need a couple older experienced players to teach and lead the team.

So one more year of Hemsky is worth more than 8 of Schenn?

Wow. Just wow?!?!?

Avatar
#115 Crash
February 27 2011, 04:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kodiak wrote:

So one more year of Hemsky is worth more than 8 of Schenn?

Wow. Just wow?!?!?

But it wouldn't be 8 more of Schenn under your guidance as you'd want to move him out before then for another young player with 7 yrs before UFA status....right?

And then that player you'd want to move out before UFA status...and so on...

See the trend?

Do you know for sure that Hemsky wouldn't sign on for another 5 or 6 yrs?

Avatar
#116 Razzer
February 27 2011, 04:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Crash i agree

Kodiak wrote:

So one more year of Hemsky is worth more than 8 of Schenn?

Wow. Just wow?!?!?

the only way is worth trading hemsky is if he wont sign. who is to say hemsky doesn't sign for another 10 years. he put up point like crazy he has missed more then 10 games and he is the highest point getter still so wow just wow!

Avatar
#117 Mitch
February 27 2011, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Chad Kilger "looked" alot better then Luc Robitaille.

I'm not going to go into comparisons, no it's not a skills competition, I just feel that Gagner is overrated and can be replaced, I'm not suggesting to give him away, what place are we in?

Avatar
#118 Bryzarro World
February 27 2011, 05:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Ah, my bad.

"so I'm not sure what your point is."

Threw me off.

LOL.. Don't worry. I thought the same thing and it read like he wasn't. Think he threw himself off..

Avatar
#119 Bedlam
February 27 2011, 05:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd be willing to trade Ales Hemsky for Natalie Portman.

Avatar
#120 Archaeologuy
February 27 2011, 05:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Bedlam

"Anakin, you're breaking my heart."

That killed it for me. Killed it.

Avatar
#121 Kodiak
February 27 2011, 06:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

But it wouldn't be 8 more of Schenn under your guidance as you'd want to move him out before then for another young player with 7 yrs before UFA status....right?

And then that player you'd want to move out before UFA status...and so on...

See the trend?

Do you know for sure that Hemsky wouldn't sign on for another 5 or 6 yrs?

We are in a rebuild. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do to improve the future of the club. I would hope in 8 years we aren't rebuilding and wouldn't need to be trading away assets. If you were in control, Hemksy walks at the end of next year, we get nothing in return and will stay in permanent rebuild mode.

Would you trade Hemsky for Eric Staal? Every GM in the league would move Hemsky for Staal. Schenn's production to date is better than what Staal's was and I can see him having a career very similar to Staal's, and it's that type of player we desperately need (more than we need a scoring RW, thats for sure).

Is Hemsky in play? All the reporters in the know seem to think so, and that would also lead me to believe Tamby isn't terribly confidant Hemsky is going to re-sign. I think Hemsky is tired of losing here and would love to move on. He's played his best hockey since there's been trade rumours and scouts in the building, and I don't think that is a coincidence either.

I am willing to bet that in three years Brayden Schenn will be putting up more points than Hemsky, and on top of that a solid center brings a lot more to the table than a winger.

Avatar
#122 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 27 2011, 06:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kodiak wrote:

We are in a rebuild. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do to improve the future of the club. I would hope in 8 years we aren't rebuilding and wouldn't need to be trading away assets. If you were in control, Hemksy walks at the end of next year, we get nothing in return and will stay in permanent rebuild mode.

Would you trade Hemsky for Eric Staal? Every GM in the league would move Hemsky for Staal. Schenn's production to date is better than what Staal's was and I can see him having a career very similar to Staal's, and it's that type of player we desperately need (more than we need a scoring RW, thats for sure).

Is Hemsky in play? All the reporters in the know seem to think so, and that would also lead me to believe Tamby isn't terribly confidant Hemsky is going to re-sign. I think Hemsky is tired of losing here and would love to move on. He's played his best hockey since there's been trade rumours and scouts in the building, and I don't think that is a coincidence either.

I am willing to bet that in three years Brayden Schenn will be putting up more points than Hemsky, and on top of that a solid center brings a lot more to the table than a winger.

I'd trade Hemsky for Schenn as well, but you are way off with your Staal comparison.

Staal was in the NHL right after his draft while Scheen is finishing up his 2nd post draft season in the CHL.

Apples to apples, their draft year Stall had 10 more points in 4 less games.

Avatar
#123 Chris.
February 27 2011, 06:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kodiak wrote:

We are in a rebuild. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do to improve the future of the club. I would hope in 8 years we aren't rebuilding and wouldn't need to be trading away assets. If you were in control, Hemksy walks at the end of next year, we get nothing in return and will stay in permanent rebuild mode.

Would you trade Hemsky for Eric Staal? Every GM in the league would move Hemsky for Staal. Schenn's production to date is better than what Staal's was and I can see him having a career very similar to Staal's, and it's that type of player we desperately need (more than we need a scoring RW, thats for sure).

Is Hemsky in play? All the reporters in the know seem to think so, and that would also lead me to believe Tamby isn't terribly confidant Hemsky is going to re-sign. I think Hemsky is tired of losing here and would love to move on. He's played his best hockey since there's been trade rumours and scouts in the building, and I don't think that is a coincidence either.

I am willing to bet that in three years Brayden Schenn will be putting up more points than Hemsky, and on top of that a solid center brings a lot more to the table than a winger.

...and I bet that Lombardi agrees with you and Schenn is not available.

Avatar
#124 Kodiak
February 27 2011, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Chris. wrote:

...and I bet that Lombardi agrees with you and Schenn is not available.

Not going to argue that, but it still baffles me a lot of people here overvalue Hemsky so much and wouldn't do that deal.

Avatar
#125 Kodiak
February 27 2011, 07:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'd trade Hemsky for Schenn as well, but you are way off with your Staal comparison.

Staal was in the NHL right after his draft while Scheen is finishing up his 2nd post draft season in the CHL.

Apples to apples, their draft year Stall had 10 more points in 4 less games.

Schenn turned 18 in Aug. of 2009 and in his '09/10 season he scored 99 pts in 59 games and was +41. This was his 3rd season in the WHL.

Staal turned 18 in Oct. of 2002 and in his '02/03 season scored 98 points in 66 games and was +21. This was his 3rd season in the OHL.

Not sure what you are talking about. That seems like apples to apples to me. Staal was just 10 months older than Schenn when he was drafted because of the age cutoff.

Avatar
#126 Oilchange64
February 27 2011, 07:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Prediction time....I think little changes tomorrow. Nothing big, Hemsky & Penner stay.

Avatar
#127 oilerman53
February 27 2011, 10:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

We could get Schenn and he could be the biggest wimp this side of Stefan. Hemsky is proven and he's proven in the playoffs. Teams will be pulling out the crown jewels for this guy and Penner will be had for almost the same as Hemsky and he has a cup. Kick up your feet and watch as the Oilers could possibly be set up til next decade with good young players.

Comments are closed for this article.