PETER CHIARELLI: GM GENIUS

Jason Gregor
February 08 2011 10:29PM

Bruins GM, Peter Chiarelli traded Phil Kessel to the Toronto Maple Leafs on September 19th, 2009 for a first and second round pick in 2010 and a first rounder in 2011. This past June he used those picks to select Tyler Seguin and London Knight centre, Jared Knight, but it seems Chiarelli wants to trade this year's pick for someone who can help the Bruins right now.

Chiarelli was asked on WEEI radio in Boston if he'd consider trading Toronto's first round pick in 2011?

"Yeah, I'd look at it, sure. I've had discussions involving that pick. I certainly would look at it. We've got a lot of assets, so that alone allows us to be creative also … there's been one [deal] that we've thrown around here internally, I don't know that I would do it but it's something that warrants further discussion."

The last sentance is absolute brilliance on Chiarelli's behalf.

How often have fans lamented that their GM could have gotten more in return had he waited longer when trading away an elite asset. Oiler fans, and even Kevin Lowe himself, have wondered if he could have received more for Chris Pronger in the summer of 2006. (Back then he got Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid and two first rounders and a 2nd. Today the trade has evolved into Jim Vandermeer, Smid, Jordan Eberle, Martin Marincin and Cam Abney).

Opposing GMs and Bruins' supporters wondered why then-GM, Mike O'Connell didn't let the rest of the league know he was shopping Joe Thornton. The Bruins got fleeced in that deal getting only Wayne Primeau, Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm.

Clearly Chiarelli wants everyone to know where he stands with his "bonus" pick.

Chiarelli's comments make it clear the Leafs' pick is in play, but the subtle hint that he is close to a trade will surely get every other GM's attention. Right now the pick would be the 5th choice, and at the very least it will be in the top-eight. Chiarelli is in a great position. His team is competitive, they already have a potential star in the system, Seguin, from the original deal, and now by going public he has increased his chances of maiximizing his return.

With 20 days until the trade deadline, this simple quote will have fans in every market looking at potential deals that could help their team.

COUCH GM

While every team would love a shot at a top-five pick, the reality is there might only be a handful of teams who are willing, and able, to offer up a fair package.

Ottawa, Toronto, Florida, New Jersey, the Islanders and Edmonton are either completely out of the playoff race or hanging by a thread like Buffalo, Columbus and St. Louis. There are many teams currently in the hunt for the postseason, but would any of their GMs be willing to sacrifice this season for a potential top-five pick?

According to Capgeek  the Bruins can "currently" only acquire a max cap hit of $2.9 million, so I'm assuming any trade they make will see Michael Ryder, and his $4 million cap hit, as part of the package going the other way.

EDMONTON: The Oilers are currently 30th, and Steve Tambellini would be willing to part with a proven player to secure a second top-five pick in June. Ales Hemsky and Dustin Penner are the only Oiler veterans that would grab Chiarelli's attention. Chiarelli acquired Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell for Dennis Wideman and the 15th pick last summer, so it might take more than just Hemsky or Penner to get the pick. I suspect Chiarelli will want some sort of young prospect to be added to any deal.

OTTAWA: I know it would be within the division, but Chiarelli had no problem making the original deal with Toronto, so I don't see him shying away if the Sens put a good deal on the table. Chris Phillips is the obvious name to be part of the package, but the Sens would need to add much more. Would Mike Fisher entice Chiarelli? I don't think so, because he has two years left at $4.2 million, but Bryan Murray should be trying to save his job by securing another top-five pick.

New Jersey: Despite their recent hot streak, they aren't going anywhere, and you wonder if Lou Lamoriello wants to break up his team rather than see them drop out of the bottom five. Lamoriello's problem is he doesn't have anyone who financially fits with the Bruins. Elias and Rolston are too expensive, and past their prime. Would Lou gamble and move Travis Zajak and David Clarkson? Zach Parise is up for a big raise, so the Devils need to make some room.

FLORIDA: Chiarelli and Dale Tallon made a deal at the draft, but I'm not sure they can come up with another one. The Panthers only have veterans Weiss, Booth, Olesz, Wideman, Kulikov, Clemmensen and Bryan Allen under contract for next season. Bryan McCabe, Cory Stillman, Radek Dvorak and Chris Higgins won't get you a top-five pick. I don't see Florida being a partner.

NY ISLANDERS: Garth Snow wouldn't move John Tavares, and after that he doesn't have anyone who could help the Bruins playoff push. Marc Streit and Trent Hunter are hurt, and the rest of the lineup is too inexperienced.

TORONTO: You know that Brian Burke will call Chiarelli and see if he is interested in making another deal, and if I'm Chiarelli I'd be all ears. I loved the deal he pulled off in 2009, but this time Burke's cupboard is a tad bare. I'm sure Tomas Kaberle's name will be first out of the gate, like it has been for the past two years. Would Kris Versteeg and Kaberle be enough?

BUFFALO: Sabres new owner, Terry Pegula, has a reputation of being very aggressive, but Darcy Regier hasn't been that way in his tenure in Buffalo. The Sabres, after their win Tuesday, are only four points out with two games in hand. I'll bet Pegula would rather make the playoffs this year, and if they stay close in the next few weeks, I think they'll be more of a buyer than a seller.

ST. LOUIS: Most of the Blues best players are young, and moving one of them for another top-five pick would seem like a lateral move. The Erik Johnson trade rumblings don't make sense, especially for a draft pick. I don't think Andy MacDonald and Eric Brewer would entice Chiarelli and I doubt the Blues would move one of Oshie, Perron or Backes.

COLUMBUS: The Jackets have won three straight and are only four points behind 8th place Calgary with two games in hand. GM, Scott Howson's job is on the line if he misses the playoffs, so I don't see him trying to build a future that he won't be a part of. I see Howson as a buyer, especially if the Jackets are within four points or less.

OTHER POSSIBILITIES

CALGARY: The Flames are 11-3-4 since Darryl Sutter resigned got fired, and suddenly in the playoff picture. Would Jay Feaster roll the dice and trade Robyn Regehr, and hope his team could still make the playoffs and get a top pick? The Flames are in a tough spot. They don't have much depth in the farm, but would Feaster, or more specifically the owners, be willing to sacrifice a few home playoff dates for a potential franchise player? Tough call.

MINNESOTA: The Wild haven't had a first round pick pan out since they took Brent Burns 20th in 2003. Since Burns they've drafte AJ Thelan (12th, 2004), Benoit Pouliot (4th, 2005), James Sheppard (9th, 2006), Colton Gillies (16th, 2007), Tyler Cuma (23rd, 2008), Nick Leddy (17th, 2009) and Michael Granlund (9th, 2010). Granlund and Leddy are too young to judge yet, but the rest are more suspects than prospect at this point. Chuck Fletcher needs to make a splash, and I wonder if Nick Schultz and Matt Cullen would get Chiarelli's attention.

I'm sure many other GMs will contact Chiarelli to find out his asking price, and after yesterday's comments I'm sure Chiarelli's phone will be ringing frequently.

Letting the entire league know that  a potential top-five pick is on the market was a savvy move by Chiarelli, and I won't be surprised if he ends up getting more than the supposed offer that is currently on the table. The only negative might be that the current GM that he is dealing with gets annoyed and backs out.

Chiarelli likely weighed the options and realized, that in this case, a public auction will garner a higher price than what he would have got in a silent one.

Brilliant move.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Truth
February 09 2011, 07:22AM

To Boston: Hemsky, 2nd round pick, Tambellini

To Edmonton: Chiarelli

Any day.

#2 marconiusE
February 09 2011, 08:13AM

I'm amazed there seems to be so much support for trading one of Hemsky/Penner for what looks to be around the 5th pick.

I can't be the only one who feels that both Hemsky & Penner are better players then most 4/5 picks ever turn out to be.

I might be totally out to lunch, but if either Hemsky/Penner goes to Boston for TO's pick, I'd be looking for Boston to add something

#3 Ball Buster
February 09 2011, 10:39AM

madjam to FlamesNation board for a cup of red Kool-Aid.

Fair deal for both sides.

#4 9 Inches Uncut
February 09 2011, 01:29PM

I've figured out a way to get Crosby and Toews and we wouldn't have to give up that much.

#5 stevezie
February 08 2011, 10:47PM

The capgeek figure includes Marc Savard, who I think will be moving to LTR, though I might be mistaken.
Personally, I'd rather have hemsky or Penner than Cullen and Schuktz, but maybe I'm a homer.
Fun days to be Chiarelli, its gonna be like picking from a buffet.

#6 Butters
February 08 2011, 11:34PM

I think Chiarelli is betting his Leaf's pick won't be top 5. Hemsky or Penner for a pick outside the top 5? I sure hope not.

#7 SmellOfVictory
February 09 2011, 12:00AM

The Flames could offer Chiarelli the once-in-a-lifetime deal of Sarich AND Hagman for only one Toronto 1st round pick! Act now, and they'll throw in Kotalik (4 points in 4 games in the AHL) at absolutely no extra cost.

#8 SourSquirt 8==> ~~o
February 09 2011, 01:11AM

It would be nice to gain TO's pick from Boston, but I'd like to see any kind of deal with Atlanta go first. Athough a top 10 pick would be right for the Oiler's "rebuild", I'd like to see a few prospects gained in return via trade opposed to drafting and developing....mostly cause I'm impatient and want success next year not in 5.lol. Sell Penner high!!! I doubt he'll resign and we can get highest value now, opposed to seasons 2006-2008 in comparison IMO

#9 Nail Yakupov
February 09 2011, 02:30AM

What a hunk.

#10 The Beaker
February 09 2011, 07:54AM
Truth wrote:

To Boston: Hemsky, 2nd round pick, Tambellini

To Edmonton: Chiarelli

Any day.

We'd definitely have to take one or two "slower" (see: assessing the situation) people from their front office to compensate for the "IQ dump" going their way

#11 Woodguy
February 09 2011, 08:21AM
marconiusE wrote:

You're not alone, and you are correct.

#12 propositionWes
February 09 2011, 10:17AM

"When did this become an Edmonton Oilers discussion board?"

Should we change the background colours to Blue and Orange?

#13 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
February 09 2011, 10:25AM

Peter would make a fine politician, we all knew this pick was in play if the Bruins figured they had a shot at glory this season. He's just driving the price up, looking for a Kings ransom for it i'm sure. Tambellini should sit tight and let Chiarelli come to the Oilers, Edmonton has what Boston desires.

Penner Brule and Smid for Ryder and that pick... or perhaps even Ryder and Seguin.

Had to laugh on monday when Sather said Souray is too slow and no longer an asset. Is it at all possible Glen is just peeing in the toilet water so no other GM's will be interested? Watch for Souray to go on re entries next week, we all know how Glen loves his reclamation projects.

#14 Rogue
February 09 2011, 10:55AM

Jason

If the Oil did make a trade for the Leafs draft pick, who is rated in the 5-10 slot among Junior players right now? Is there any one of those that MB may have the hots for, or sees as a steal in that drafting position?

#15 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
February 08 2011, 10:48PM

When you read about what the teams have to offer.....no one compares to what the oilers have. I think Fisher is the only guy that would draw interest from Ottawa but Boston needs scoring and I don't think fisher is that guy. He's a properly paid Horcoff. Boston's got their guy in that role in Bergeron

Edmonton has skilled forwards and can eat cap space for teams if it helps their future.

Hemsky/Vandermeer (Boston isn't deep on D if they're making a serious run)

For

1st/Ryder + another salary dump

Keeping in mind that toronto's pick isn't likely to be a lottery pick (likely 5-10). Hemmer is a proven "star". Edmonton can't get too carried away. Tambo earns his legacy this year because this will shape the team and he can't ask MBS to do the trades for him.

#16 Shaun Doe
February 08 2011, 10:51PM

Gregor: Do you figure that the young asset you speak of coming from the Oilers would be in the caliber of a young gun currently with the team, or in the prospect pool. If it is a player on the team I would see that as somewhat of a lateral move but curious to see what you think. Seems to me as if the kids with the club right now should figure heavily in the future direction of the team.

#19 Muji 狗
February 08 2011, 11:06PM

I don't want the Oilers to trade Penner and Hemsky. Especially not when they are still signed for 1 more year. Especially when the kids still need sheltering next year. Especially when there's still a chance they can be extended. Especially for a pick that might not even be in the top 8. Especially in a rather weak draft year. Especially when we will already get a top 3 pick of our own.

No thanks.

If Burkie has taught us anything, DO NOT trade with this "genius". You'll likely get fleeced.

#20 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
February 08 2011, 11:12PM

Oilers should see if they can get Rishaug to do another story. A mock of Chiarelli where Tambo comes out stating that he is indeed thinking about trading Sheldon Souray. He's had a couple offers already that just need to be signed in summer, he just doesn't want to hurt his development in the A that he's been getting. He's a true leader and really taking responsibility in driving the team bus!

#21 6 ring circus
February 08 2011, 11:16PM

Hopefully Tambellini does not wait to long to make a move,If there is a deal to be made with Boston then he should be on the phone and offer up one of Hemsky or Penner.

#22 Wittmeier
February 08 2011, 11:44PM

Nice post.

As for the Flames: "Would Jay Feaster roll the dice and trade Robyn Regehr, and hope his team could still make the playoffs and get a top pick?"

Without Regehr, the Flames are not making the playoffs.

#23 robinrussia
February 09 2011, 12:12AM

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush...luckily for us we have 2 birds plus some spare parts.

Hemsky's been in the line up and out of and we still do the same when he's around vs when he's not. So we're not much worse off.

Penner is a rare breed...big with skill!

Birds Hemmmer + Penns

Spare Parts Brule, Cogs, Vandamer, Foster

remember a 15th+Weidmen for 1 30 point player and an 18 point player to date.

So my offer is Hemsky + Vandameer for - TO's Pick+ 2nd round 2011-2012/or prospect

No Salary Dump taken back. They need Vandamer for depth in the playoffs.

Throw Plante/Chorney in a sweetener if needed.

#24 Raine Snow
February 09 2011, 12:38AM

Is letting the league know that a player or pick is available really considered a brilliant move? I'd say not letting it be known is absolutely asanine and ridiculously stupid. On the occasion when the media isn't getting a hold of the information I'm still sure a gm shops their availability list.

In regards to the Joe Thornton trade, "absolutely asinine and ridiclously stupid."

#25 PDO
February 09 2011, 12:55AM

Is Ryder worth a 2nd round pick?

I'd rather not move Penner or Hemsky and sign both, but lets pretend we know NEITHER will re-sign.

With Savard done for the year, this is feasible:

To Boston:

Ales Hemsky Dustin Penner

To Edmonton:

TO 1st BOS 2nd Joe Colborne Micheal Ryder

... and then we flip Ryder for another second.

Does that make sense for both sides? Oilers are giving up two legitimate top line forwards. Boston is giving up a top 5 pick, a top 60 pick, a former first rounder, and a salary dump.

Oilers rebuild is likely done as far as adding pieces is concerned (3 2nd round picks, 2 1st round picks, both in the lottery). Boston becomes instant favourites to come out of the East.

It's a big time deal with hefty costs on both sides.

... thoughts?

#26 PDO
February 09 2011, 01:21AM

Squirt:

If there's anything to the Atlanta/Edmonton rumors surrounding Bogo/Hemsky, then all bets are off the table. I'd much prefer deal for a 21 year old D with 200 GP and is a former top 3 pick.

#27 Knobby K
February 09 2011, 02:17AM

I'm not sure Brian Burke's stupidity equals Chiarelli's genius. Other than that you make a good point. I just hope Tambellini doesn't stumble into someone elses bear trap. Between his deals and Kevin Lowe's deals I am far from comfortable with their combined judgement on pro trades. The only reason for hope for the Oil currently is MacGregor's minor league drafting and not much is proven on any of his changes so far due to the early stages of the player's growth.

#28 CitizenFlame
February 09 2011, 02:52AM

In my dream world the Flames would send Bourque, Saarich, + a pick (if they had to and not a first rounder) to pry Bogosian out of Atlanta. Then maybe they could make the deal for Regehr to Boston for the first rounder. Calgary could take Ryder back as a salary dump and maybe throw in a pick or prospect to compensate. That would be about $11 million out and a little under $7 million coming back. Giving Calgary a much needed $4 mill in breathing room.

#29 SumOil
February 09 2011, 06:24AM

I think Hemsky is a better player than Horton. His value should be higher. Horton got Fla another NHL player and 15th overall, Hemsky should be able to top the draft number.

#30 SumOil
February 09 2011, 06:26AM

@PDO

I would like to hang onto Penner. He is a unique player in the organization and one that can't be easily replaced in the off season.

#31 Woodguy
February 09 2011, 07:10AM

Oops, double post

#32 Woodguy
February 09 2011, 07:14AM

As Sumoil stated, either Hemsky or Penner for just TO's 1st is not a good deal, let alone adding to it from the Oiler side.

Chiarelli putting it out there that TO's pick is available is smart as it will help drive the price as up.

I hesitate to use the word genius though.

Maybe watching Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini operate for years has lowered the "genius" bar around here.

Its a smart move, but I guess next to the Oiler management it looks like he's making gold from lead.

#33 The Real Scuba Steve
February 09 2011, 07:34AM

Tambellini is not that smart.

#34 The Beaker
February 09 2011, 07:48AM

@PDO

How do you figure you are going to get a second from anyone for Ryder?

#35 dawgbone
February 09 2011, 07:54AM
Woodguy wrote:

I hesitate to use the word genius though.

I was about to say the same thing... you have a draft pick that you feel has excellent value.

Going to the top of the tallest mountain and yelling "This pick is available" seems more like common sense than genius.

Genius would be getting a player like like Hemsky + a good young player in return.

#36 dawgbone
February 09 2011, 07:57AM
The Beaker wrote:

How do you figure you are going to get a second from anyone for Ryder?

Buffalo scored a 2nd for Kotalik a couple of years ago, so I assume virtually anything is possible.

#37 Banger
February 09 2011, 08:01AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

You are correct and that is why I put "currently" since it could change before Feb 28th.

I think Schultz is underrated as a D-man, and the Bruins need more blueline depth heading into the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what offer, if any, he accepts.

Schultz is a big time underrated d-man. When ever i have watched wild games or highlights i always notice him and the solid game he plays. I look for him specifically because i used to live with his cousin in university, so maybe i have a bit of a bias there. But i have always thought he was a solid d-man.

#38 Let's Rebuild
February 09 2011, 08:06AM

I'm jumping on the Bogosian train, although I don't think Hemskey or Penner would be enough. ATL is most likely not making the playoffs this year so they would only have either signed for one year. I think the player ATL would take is Gagner. It would be a trade for a young asset for another young asset and fill the needs of both teams, we have too many small forwards and need better D. This would also free up Tambi to draft one of the young centermen (RNH) who would slide into the second line behind Horc for a few years.

WIN WIN

#39 The Beaker
February 09 2011, 08:10AM

@dawgbone

Yes but Calgary finally got rid of their GM, and even if Sutter was still there Calgary doesnt have a second round this year to get back for him and they dont have the cap space

. . .

p.s. ~

#40 Woodguy
February 09 2011, 08:20AM
The Beaker wrote:

. . .

p.s. ~

It was Tambellini who gave BUF a 2nd for Kotalik, not Sutter.

#41 Sarah Miller
February 09 2011, 08:27AM

i think we need a top centermen desperately, and if we trade to boston and get TO pick we probably won't get couturier or nugent - hopkins. I think trade hemsky, penner, and possibly cogliano to l.a for brayden shenn and get something else in return and then draft larsson at the draft. I think that would be the smartest thing because we now have a top centermen and top defencemen. also reading your latest blog we have a lot of good forwards coming up.

#42 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 09 2011, 08:37AM

So what exactly happens when that pick ends up being closer to a top 10 pick than a top 5 pick? Not sure I really want to give up either Hemsky or Penner for a top 10. Too much risk. I do however think if we have any intention at moving either guy, that we do it this year.

Very few guys around this year for trade and I really don't want to risk Hemsky going down next season and getting nothing for him.

#43 SumOil
February 09 2011, 08:52AM

@Woodguy

Seconded

But I think ST might not sharebour feeling. Then again he was dangling hemsky for the second overall pick, so he may want a decent prospect back with the pick.

#44 The Beaker
February 09 2011, 08:57AM

omg yes I know. I was implying that sutter was the only one stupid enough for Tambo to pull that off with.

#45 BUCK75
February 09 2011, 09:03AM

It would be really nice if we could get more out of the Bruins if we have to bring Ryder back here. Jordan Caron could be big body RW, Adam McQuaid a big stay at home defender, or even Colborne for our big center.

It might be asking too much, but I think we are dealing from a position of strength when our 2 players we are moving both have a year left on their deals. We haven't been in the driver's seat on many deals in the past.

#47 Ender
February 09 2011, 09:23AM

Interesting article, but I'd say Toronto is not really a trade possibility. The optics simply wouldn't allow it.

If the Leafs re-acquired their own 2011 pick for the package Gregor mentions, then the entire deal boils down to:

To Toronto: Kessel
To Boston: Seguin, Knight, Versteeg, Kaberle

Even though both separate transactions might have looked somewhat plausable as individual deals at the time they were made, when you put them together (and every MSM and fan in North America will do just that) and look at them in hindsight, it's just so lopsided as to be laughable.

Burkie has to deal with the fact that this one didn't swing his way. Trying to 'fix' it now will only make it worse and could cost him his job.

#50 Tapdog
February 09 2011, 09:35AM
SourSquirt 8==> ~~o wrote:

In a perfect world the Oilers could perhaps do both!

If there is legs to the Atlanta deal with Bogosian, Hemsky would be the main target for them. Not sure how and what would have to be in this deal but it is possible. Any ideas?

Penner would be Boston's target not Hemsky. Would a Penner/Gilbert/Calgary's 3rd for Toronto's #1/Colbourne/Ryder be close. As mentioned here already, Ryder could be flipped for a pick. It is a contract year for him and as usual he is scoring again. He could add supplemental scoring for a playoff bound team.

Cap space works for all teams infact Boston would still have roughly 2.9 to spend to fill in this year.