GDB 70.0: AFTERNOON DELIGHT

Jason Gregor
March 13 2011 10:48AM

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight.
My motto's always been; when it's right, it's right.
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night.
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day.
And you know the night is always gonna be there any way.

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Afternoon delight.

If Dustin Penner was still an Oiler this would be much more fitting, but after the overwhelmed Oilers put up a heroic effort in Detroit on Sunday, I wonder if this plucky bunch can muster up a similar effort this afternoon. I bet they will if this epic video was part of their late-morning team meeting.

If Ron, Brian, Brick and Champ can't get them fired up, I'm not sure anyone can.

QUICK HITS

• The only lineup change for the Oilers should be that Steve MacIntyre might actually get a shift this afternoon after spending all 60 minutes stapled to the bench in Detroit.

• After a solid performance in Detroit, today would be a great time to see if Devan Dubnyk can put together solid back-to-back performances. There would be zero point in playing Nikolai Khabibulin today.

• The Penguins are 13-10-5 in the 28 games without Sidney Crosby, and they've went to overtime ten times. They clearly don't the same offensive punch without Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and according to reports out of Pittsburgh Marc-Andre Fleury is the main reason the Pens are still in the top five in the East.

• For the past few years many have felt that Jordan Staal might be a first line centre on many teams, but playing behind Crosby and Malkin limited his offensive numbers. Staal is more of a two-way centre, and has yet to show he has first line offensive instincts. He has seven goal, 18 points and is -4 in the 28 games without Crosby. That would put him at 52 points over an entire season. Decent numbers, but no where near a dominant first line centre.

GAME DAY PREDICTION: The Oilers played well in Detroit, but I can't see them duplicating that effort this afternoon. They will play hard, but will end the road trip 1-3-1, with a 4-2 loss.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Matt Cooke will deliver a borderline hit early in the 2nd period, and the Oilers will take two or three minor penalties trying to even the score the remainder of the game. Cooke being the gutless puke he is, won't answer the bell when asked.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: After watching a the awesome three minute video of Afternoon Delight, many of you will toss Anchorman into your DVD player after the game. In fact during the game, you will start plotting ways to ensure you score your own afternoon delight. Some of you might fold laundry during intermission, others will quietly convince the kids to go play at their buddies house, and even offer up a few bucks to get come candy on the way, while some of you will put on some Sex Panther and let the aroma do the work....

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Archaeologuy
March 13 2011, 10:14PM

@Kodiak

Ahhh. So the Oilers lost with Hemsky and Penner also therefore Omark and Paajarvi are equal players.

Interesting logic Kodiak. I like it in a madjamian kind of way.

#52 Robin Brownlee
March 13 2011, 10:21PM

@Kodiak

"Suck it up princess"?

I told you to watch your tone with me. For whatever reason -- maybe because "It's the internet and I'll say what I want" -- you chose to ignore it. Not here. See ya.

#53 Puritania
March 13 2011, 10:42PM
The Beaker wrote:

I thought the PP was BuckyB's thing? (remember hearing that somewhere)

I'm pretty sure it is. I'm shocked though, such an offensive dynamo as bucky was should be tearing it up as the captain of the PP boat no?

FireBuckyRightThe*uckNow

#54 Kodiak
March 13 2011, 10:52PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Interesting logic Kodiak. I like it in a madjamian kind of way.

Never said anything even remotely close to that, but whatever you figure Arch.

I am saying we have a better winning percentage without Hemky in the lineup so it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom because Omark is skating in his spot. I thought Omark has had some pretty decent stretches of late actually.

#55 Kodiak
March 13 2011, 11:02PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

"Suck it up princess"?

My apologies Mr. Brownlee. I say that to my buddies in a lighthearted way all the time but I guess it doesn't come across that way so much in written form. I didn't mean anything personal by it and will watch my tone, I promise. It's tough not getting frustrated and snippy with anything and everything with the state my beloved team is in.

#56 Archaeologuy
March 13 2011, 11:44PM

@Kodiak

I'm interested in seeing the Oilers' record with and without Hemsky and your thoughts about why there is a difference. I cant seem to find a handy way of figuring it out without manually checking the record, and I'm too lazy.

#57 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 14 2011, 07:26AM
Kodiak wrote:

Never said anything even remotely close to that, but whatever you figure Arch.

I'd like to see you actually put the numbers behind that.

#58 Kodiak
March 14 2011, 08:34AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'd like to see you actually put the numbers behind that.

Out Nov.24-30 = 2W 1L

Out Dec.2-27 = 4W 4L 2ot (two 1 goal losses to the Canucks)

Out Jan19-Feb1= 1W 2L 1otl

Out March2-?? = 2W 3L 1otl

So without him we are 9W 10L 4otl and with him we are 14W 28L 5otl.

#59 Kodiak
March 14 2011, 08:38AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine. No arguing Hemsky is a skilled player but I don't think he plays a style that improves players he's with. Gagner struggles playing with him. Most do actually. I also think when he's in the lineup that others have a tendancy to sit back and rely on him too much.

#60 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 14 2011, 08:51AM
Kodiak wrote:

Out Nov.24-30 = 2W 1L

Out Dec.2-27 = 4W 4L 2ot (two 1 goal losses to the Canucks)

Out Jan19-Feb1= 1W 2L 1otl

Out March2-?? = 2W 3L 1otl

So without him we are 9W 10L 4otl and with him we are 14W 28L 5otl.

Interesting.

Their is some value in those numbers, but I don't think they tell us a tonne.

A quick look at the contrast between last years W/L with and without him vs this years to highlight that.

#61 Quicksilver ballet
March 14 2011, 11:11AM

Didn't feel there was anything wrong with the Brule hit on Letang, what a farce call that was.

On the Pens feed, the went on about the NHL has to do something about headshots like these. It's like you can't tag a guy hard anymore without someone throwing the rule book at him. Epic fail for the faint of heart, that was just a clean solid body check.

#62 Pucker
March 14 2011, 11:26AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Interesting.

Their is some value in those numbers, but I don't think they tell us a tonne.

I really like Hemsky's skills but between the offensive zone turnovers and perimeter play and giving him the prime PP time - I don't think he fits with the Oil. . . . Of course it's always possible he's playing within 'the system' and replacing some coaches (particularly Power Play) may turn things around for him. I like Omark on the side boards more.

If he doesn't stay with Oil, wherever he goes, he's likely to excel. I just don't think he should be your 'best player' till he turns some of those things around.

He sure has some good games. I think it was Montreal, before he rehurt his groin, he carried the game. But those are few.

#63 Dennis
March 14 2011, 01:22PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

You tried getting a response from me in the Willis item with a sarcastic comment and you've done it again here.

First, watch your tone with me. Second, here's what I think, even though you either haven't been paying attention to everything I've written about Gilbert or you have, but choose to be selective in order to poke the needle at me.

With Whitney and Peckham out, Gilbert is the best of an inexperienced and limited group of defensemen. There is nobody on this roster who can take minutes from him. He's in over his head and it shows. That's not his fault.

Pushed past second-pairing minutes for any length of time without some protection with a physical/experienced/savvy partner, he struggles. Give him that, and he's effective in a secondary role.

If Gilbert is the best defenseman on a team, any team, you get what we have here.

watch your tone?

not everyone's out to get you, Robin.