GDB 70.0: AFTERNOON DELIGHT

Jason Gregor
March 13 2011 10:48AM

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight.
My motto's always been; when it's right, it's right.
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night.
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day.
And you know the night is always gonna be there any way.

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Afternoon delight.

If Dustin Penner was still an Oiler this would be much more fitting, but after the overwhelmed Oilers put up a heroic effort in Detroit on Sunday, I wonder if this plucky bunch can muster up a similar effort this afternoon. I bet they will if this epic video was part of their late-morning team meeting.

If Ron, Brian, Brick and Champ can't get them fired up, I'm not sure anyone can.

QUICK HITS

• The only lineup change for the Oilers should be that Steve MacIntyre might actually get a shift this afternoon after spending all 60 minutes stapled to the bench in Detroit.

• After a solid performance in Detroit, today would be a great time to see if Devan Dubnyk can put together solid back-to-back performances. There would be zero point in playing Nikolai Khabibulin today.

• The Penguins are 13-10-5 in the 28 games without Sidney Crosby, and they've went to overtime ten times. They clearly don't the same offensive punch without Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and according to reports out of Pittsburgh Marc-Andre Fleury is the main reason the Pens are still in the top five in the East.

• For the past few years many have felt that Jordan Staal might be a first line centre on many teams, but playing behind Crosby and Malkin limited his offensive numbers. Staal is more of a two-way centre, and has yet to show he has first line offensive instincts. He has seven goal, 18 points and is -4 in the 28 games without Crosby. That would put him at 52 points over an entire season. Decent numbers, but no where near a dominant first line centre.

GAME DAY PREDICTION: The Oilers played well in Detroit, but I can't see them duplicating that effort this afternoon. They will play hard, but will end the road trip 1-3-1, with a 4-2 loss.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Matt Cooke will deliver a borderline hit early in the 2nd period, and the Oilers will take two or three minor penalties trying to even the score the remainder of the game. Cooke being the gutless puke he is, won't answer the bell when asked.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: After watching a the awesome three minute video of Afternoon Delight, many of you will toss Anchorman into your DVD player after the game. In fact during the game, you will start plotting ways to ensure you score your own afternoon delight. Some of you might fold laundry during intermission, others will quietly convince the kids to go play at their buddies house, and even offer up a few bucks to get come candy on the way, while some of you will put on some Sex Panther and let the aroma do the work....

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
March 13 2011, 10:53AM

You're right, Staal is not a FIST liner.

#2 Senator Theo
March 13 2011, 11:08AM

When I hear a reference to afternoon delight, my first thought is always Arrested Development. That episode ranks as one of my all-time faves.

#3 Chris.
March 13 2011, 11:22AM

It's truly dark times in Oil Country when old married men like myself would rather have a toss with the Ol' Lady than watch a rare Eastern Conference matchup.

#4 spOILer
March 13 2011, 11:29AM

52 points as a 23 year old with a weak supporting cast is nothing to sneeze at. Kicks ass on what H. Sedin was doing at the same age. And two way play is part of what makes you a first line centre. Have to be able to go PvP and shut down the other guy. See Datsyuk, Pavel. Getzlaf, Ryan.

Despite Gregor's musings there's still 1st line possibility in Staal. And he could certainly handle a 2nd line role similar to Kesler's.

He's better than the 3rd liner he's been used as thus far.

#5 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 11:43AM

Hmmm. Gagner scoring at the same rate as Staal and both are sub %50 on the dot. I like Staal, but he doesnt live up to the hype. A fine 2nd-3rd line guy.

It's funny how some players get every benefit of the doubt despite what they actually accomplish and others dont.

No matter, the biggest reason to watch this game will be to see MacIntyre vs Engelland. Both have KOs against opponents this year. There's a huge size mismatch though. That will probably work against a fight from even happening.

#6 TonyT
March 13 2011, 11:53AM

Just like our beloved Oilers, Sex Panther works everytime 40 percent of the time

#7 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
March 13 2011, 12:08PM
Chris. wrote:

Props, props, props!! Ahahahahahahahahah

#8 Stocc
March 13 2011, 12:22PM

Did Gregor just say "come candy"?

#9 kawi460
March 13 2011, 12:31PM

@Matt Henderson

What about Godard vs Mac, if he isn't suspended. Godard broke Macs orbital bone last time.

#10 Wax Man Riley
March 13 2011, 12:38PM
Stocc wrote:

Did Gregor just say "come candy"?

Ya, it's just what Chris S.T.N.F.! is cooking up instead of watching the game.

#11 Quicksilver ballet
March 13 2011, 12:45PM

The Eberle train arrives in steeltown, 5-2 Oilers with Jordan netting a couple goals and an assist.

#12 Starving Student
March 13 2011, 12:48PM

"DIRTY REUBEN LOVE"

#13 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 12:52PM

@kawi460

I think he's still serving a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench. He didnt play last game, but I dont know how many he has left to serve.

#14 Quicksilver ballet
March 13 2011, 01:14PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

That suspension is over, he came back and now he's also out of the lineup with a broken orbital bone as well. He's close to being ready, probably within the next week.

#15 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 01:15PM

@Quicksilver ballet

There you have it. No Godard.

#16 DoubleJ
March 13 2011, 01:25PM

I'm a little tired of all the Jones hype... I'd rather have Giroux and Reddox for the same price as what Jones will get.

I really believe this is a one year fluke with Jones and his ugly lucky goals.

#17 Oilcruzer
March 13 2011, 01:39PM

Did they just say on the TV that the 5 on 3 is a good opportunity for the Oilers to get back into this game???

It's 0 - 0!

#18 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 01:41PM

Brutal.

#19 Oilcruzer
March 13 2011, 01:42PM

Yah Smid and Gilbert were not pretty there.

#20 Chris.
March 13 2011, 01:43PM

What did I miss?

#21 Shaun Doe
March 13 2011, 01:44PM

That 5-on-3 could be a new orginizational low.

#22 Puckbag
March 13 2011, 01:45PM

I can't believe the puke Matt Cooke is wearing an 'A'.

#23 AG
March 13 2011, 01:47PM

@DoubleJ

Giroux can't skate and Reddox cant score , you still don't want Jones?

#24 Robin Brownlee
March 13 2011, 01:48PM

Well, wasn't that a big, buttery muffin served up by No. 77 on the 1-0 goal . . .

#25 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 01:49PM
Shaun Doe wrote:

That 5-on-3 could be a new orginizational low.

#26 jake
March 13 2011, 01:53PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I think the Penguin got a stick on it to slow it down a bit. Even with no stick, he had no authority on the pass so still likely a muffin, and toward the middle of the ice with seconds left in the period. Old habits die hard, if at all. Oh well, I am sure he blocked a couple of shots somewhere in the period.

#27 JackBauer
March 13 2011, 01:54PM

Robin or Jason,

What the hell is going on with Macintyre? Thats the most puzzling thing ive ever seen, to dress a guy and not even play him one shift. And the second most puzzling thing is why are they double shifting Jones? Why not spread the extra minutes all around the line up?

#28 Oilcruzer
March 13 2011, 01:55PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Ya but he looked tough doing it.

#29 DoubleJ
March 13 2011, 02:25PM
AG wrote:

Giroux can't skate and Reddox cant score , you still don't want Jones?

I haven't seen Giroux playing slow. Reddox is just better then Jones. I'll bet money Jones doesn't get 10 goals next year.

I'd bet Giroux would have more goals then Jonesw if he was given Jones icetime and oppertunity.

#30 Zed
March 13 2011, 02:32PM

@Robin Brownlee

What happened? I missed it. I'm going to guess it was one of three things.

a) Gave up the puck to avoid the hit.

b) Passed to an opposing player with a straight path to the front of the net.

c) Thought "screw it, we're going to lose anyway", turned around and scored on Dubnyk.

#31 Kodiak
March 13 2011, 02:50PM

@Robin Brownlee

So Brownlee, do you think Strudwick is better than Gilbert? Maybe Foster? Vandermeer? Who do you suggest improves this team by taking Gilberts minutes?

Do you actually think there is a current Oiler that is worthy to play in the NHL?

#32 e5realestate
March 13 2011, 02:51PM

This game is too tough to take on a Sunday afternoon - it's supposed be a relaxing day. Guess my car is getting washed an hour earlier than I thought...

#33 OILERSORDEATH
March 13 2011, 03:14PM

Jesus this game is just painfull to watch

#34 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 03:16PM

Ouch Horc. That looked like it hurt.

#35 Quicksilver ballet
March 13 2011, 03:20PM

Fluery has made the saves when it mattered in this one, Dubey hasn't. Can't blame the refs for this one.

#36 Hemmertime
March 13 2011, 05:22PM
Oilcruzer wrote:

It's 0 - 0!

I noticed that too and died a little inside.

#37 Robin Brownlee
March 13 2011, 06:24PM
Kodiak wrote:

You tried getting a response from me in the Willis item with a sarcastic comment and you've done it again here.

First, watch your tone with me. Second, here's what I think, even though you either haven't been paying attention to everything I've written about Gilbert or you have, but choose to be selective in order to poke the needle at me.

With Whitney and Peckham out, Gilbert is the best of an inexperienced and limited group of defensemen. There is nobody on this roster who can take minutes from him. He's in over his head and it shows. That's not his fault.

Pushed past second-pairing minutes for any length of time without some protection with a physical/experienced/savvy partner, he struggles. Give him that, and he's effective in a secondary role.

If Gilbert is the best defenseman on a team, any team, you get what we have here.

#38 Puritania
March 13 2011, 07:00PM

@Kodiak

You just got Brownlee'd son!

I figure what Arch said should be said again. I agree one hundred percent.

"I was just thinking that whoever is coaching the PP ought to be updating his resume after this game, because that 2 man advantage was the kind of thing that should get a guy fired.

Seriously, I dont care which coach's baby it is, that guy needs to be moved along. All year the speacial teams have been a point of shame and the 5 on 3 is leading the way."

#39 ricky p
March 13 2011, 07:17PM

Is Horcoff every struggling. He is not the team's best center and really brings little to the table. I hope he gets moved down to a third line center next year and one of the kids step up. It would be too much to ask Mr. Dithers to actually sign a NHL center in the off season, so an option is to let a kid move up. Who ever steps up can not do any worse than Horriblecoff.

Keep Habbi and buy out Horcoff in two years. He will be a fifth line center by then

#40 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 13 2011, 07:40PM
DoubleJ wrote:

Jones has played at a double digit goal pace his entire career.

I think we it's now fair to call him a real live 12 - 15 goal guy.

#41 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 13 2011, 07:44PM
ricky p wrote:

Only caught todays game on the radio, but I think it should be clear that Horc is the best of whats left (or at very worst 2nd best player... but I still think that's a stretch)

How about we keep him and try to add 4-5 more, real NHL'ers.

#42 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
March 13 2011, 07:56PM

We are on the right path. We are on the right path. We are on the right path. We are on the right path. We are on the right path. We are on the right path. We are on the right path. We are on the right path.

Unfortunately the path sux ass till we hit pavement.

#43 Rogue
March 13 2011, 07:58PM

Scary to think we will be stuck with him for ever. But like Robin says about Gilbert, I think Horc is playing out of his comfort zone. Missing Hall and Hemsky means Horc has to do more offensively, and he just can not excel alone. He is/was the responsible d wise guy on any line.

#44 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 13 2011, 08:11PM
Rogue wrote:

The whole team is over matched. I don't even know if we've got half a dozen guys that would make a top 6 team (league wide)

#45 Matt Henderson
March 13 2011, 08:18PM

Who would have thought that plucking the team's top 4 scorers and its best defenseman off the roster would have an adverse effect on the quality of hockey?

Where are those guys who thought Omark could replace Hemsky and Paajarvi could replace Penner? Over the next 12 games these kids are going to be thrown into the deep end and some of them arent going to make it back to dry land.

#46 DoubleJ
March 13 2011, 08:54PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Jones has played at a double digit goal pace his entire career.

I think we it's now fair to call him a real live 12 - 15 goal guy.

I like Jones, he works hard out there. I just think he doesn't deserve all the hype. There's tons of article on his numbers.

Ei. his shots for and shots against is horrible. It seems like the other forwards seem to have to cover for him while he covers the blue line (all the break aways).

I would love him here next year, I just don't think he deserves a raise for one year of lucky goals.

We'll see if he becomes a 15 goal scorer. I doubt he will. I hope he becomes a 20 goal guy, but looking at his goals this season I don't believe it will.

#47 stevezie
March 13 2011, 09:07PM

No one is commenting on Omark's post? It was almost one of the best goals of the season, and not one comment? Where's the silver-lining crew?

#48 dawgtoy
March 13 2011, 09:30PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Epic answer...kinda like asking Bryan Hall "Who did we get for Earl Edwards?"

#49 The Beaker
March 13 2011, 09:41PM

@Puritania

I thought the PP was BuckyB's thing? (remember hearing that somewhere)

#50 Kodiak
March 13 2011, 09:57PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

We went through these stretches with Hemsky and Penner in the lineup, too.