Oilers Reach Into Past to Address Today

Lowetide
April 01 2011 07:31AM

Early this morning, the Edmonton Oilers reached out to the past to address a current need. Welcome newest Edmonton Oiler--and a blast from the past--Ralph Intranuovo.

In 1992's NHL Entry Draft, the Edmonton Oilers selected OHA phenom Ralph Intranuovo. He was a speed demon with exceptional vision, and although he never had an impact at the NHL level (22 career games, 6 points) the East York, Ontario native proved to be an exceptional AHL player. By the late 90's he'd left his NHL career far behind--so he thought--and played hockey at a high level in Germany, Austria and most recently Italy.

The now 36-year old was winding down his playoffs with the Asiago team in the Italian league when he started noticing a few faces that seemed familiar. "I looked out in the crowd one night and saw a couple of Edmonton Oiler scouts. I told (teammate) Michael Henrich that Edmonton was here looking at someone but he didn't believe me."

It was Intranuovo the club was looking at, as the Oilers scouts raved about his still exceptional speed. At age 36, the 5.08 187 pound Intranuovo could still race down the ice, curl just past the blueline and set up the offense. It was that skill that led the Oilers to believe the veteran player could help their NHL powerplay.

The Oilers aren't certain when he'll play, but it could be as early as Saturday. New Oilers scout Larry Prevaricator was credited with finding the gem, although many (older) Oilers scouts saw him good before the signing.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 common sense
April 01 2011, 05:10PM

Intranuovo was a big OHL star. He reminds me of Cogliano. If the post-CBA rules were in place, this guy would've probably played in the NHL. So many current marginal NHL players can thank their lucky stars for the new rules---Cogliano, Gagner,etc.---cuz they also be in Europe if we still had the pre-CBA rules.

#52 robinrussia
April 01 2011, 06:01PM

What for? a stretch run so they can send some guys back to OK to push for that playoff spot?

Is he signed for next year? One way? 2 Way?

April Fools?

#53 Oilers4ever
April 01 2011, 07:40PM
The Beaker wrote:

ummmm booo

Awww... what's the matter princess.. someone else's opinion that doesn't agree with you hurt your teeny weeny feelings... Seriously.. my 6 year old kid can pull better pranks... Now if you had said maybe Bernie Nicholls.. Dave Semenko coming out of retirement because he could fight and not take stupid penalties.. at least that would have had more panache... but to just reply boo?? Suck it up sunshine.

#54 I tried it at home
April 01 2011, 07:55PM

This just in, in an apparent attempt to bolster a flagging blue line, and attempt to salvage something for the season, the Edmonton Oilers GM Steve Tambellini has offered a 3 miilion, 3 year contract to former Oilers defenseman Boris ( Boo Boo ) Mirinov. Mirinov has apparently accepted the offer but will not formally sign with the team, as he says, "until I find Kovy". He then stumbled out of the room into a waiting limo taxi.

#55 Red Deer Oil
April 01 2011, 08:38PM

April Fools X)

#56 4pac
April 01 2011, 09:19PM
Harlie wrote:

This was entirely believable. Nice work LT!

I was thinking to myself, 5.08 and 187 pounds and an aging vet with suspect numbers sounded like a perfect fit. Haha, how sad it is right now!

P.S - I'm back in town from 3 weeks of sun and booze filled holidays driving from Edmonton to Arizona and back up again. And man, the wife and I were disappointed to pull into the acreage and see that the snow in the yard looks to be almost as much as when we left! Crazy!!

We put on 6900 kms for the total trip. Travelled with our two little boys, thank G for DVD headrests! We tried to break up the driving as much as possible but it was still alot of time on the road and the kids were real troopers! Hit some nice spots along the way, (Vegas and Palm Springs, Southern California and Arizona) and got some nice sun in.

I went out solo in Vegas one night and ended up playing roulette next to a black dude from Compton who sounded exactly like 2Pac. He was hilarious! Once he got to the table we both got on a roll. We were fist bumping and cheers'ing and dranking it up! He said he wants to come up to Canada one day and I said I wanted to go to Compton. We were both confused after we said that. haha! Good times!

the lame store just called....

#57 Dano
April 01 2011, 10:24PM

Nice try though....Happy April Fools!

#58 Sorensenator
April 02 2011, 04:26AM
book¡e wrote:

What about if Daryl Katz says that he will build an ugly barn like arena just outside of Edmonton (by the Anthony Henday) like the Ottawa situation for $250 million, is there enough public benefit for you to see the development be downtown and be spectacular?

I think Katz should say that he is willing to move the Oilers, but should be talking about St.Albert, Spruce Grove, Parkland County, etc, not Quebec.

It will completely revatilize downtown Edmonton. The aim is to not just build an arena, but a multi purpose structure with surrounding towers, restaurants, etc..

This will cost aroumd 1 Billion est.

Katz will never build an arena in St. Albert, Spruce Grove, or any other surrounding towns; that idea is absolutely absurd.

Why? Nearly 800 thousand people make up the Edmonton core, (not including surrounding municipalties)... having a central location makes sense for many reasons.

#59 The Beaker
April 02 2011, 07:56AM

@Oilers4ever

Wow, judging by that response it is you who has "teeny weeny feelings".

If you care that much you have problems, its a bit of whimsy get over it. If you have to take fun that serious you need to pay someone good money to fix that. So again:

ummmm booo

P.S. to actually keep things related to the article I'll say that I had no idea who Ralph Intranuovo is. I was too young to remember most of those type of guys, so I enjoy at least seeing the reference. I learned something.

#60 The Beaker
April 02 2011, 07:57AM

St. Albert Oilers! WHOOOOOOOOO

#61 The Beaker
April 02 2011, 09:40AM
common sense wrote:

Soooo you're saying the is a lot better talent out there but the CBA is making it impossible to get worked into the lineup ahead of the less talented?

#62 The Beaker
April 02 2011, 09:40AM
common sense wrote:

not sure why that double posted.

#63 Oilers4ever
April 02 2011, 10:14AM
The Beaker wrote:

Wow, judging by that response it is you who has "teeny weeny feelings".

ummmm booo

Touche... :)

But Ralphie was still a crappy player.. considering Cogs has played way more games.. not even comparable.