RADIO GA-GA V: APPETITE FOR OILERS LUNCH

Robin Brownlee
April 25 2011 06:55PM

If 630 CHED was among the sceptics two years ago when I suggested Bob Stauffer could end up splitting his time between being an analyst for their radio station on Edmonton Oilers game nights and hosting a noon-hour call-in show across town at TEAM 1260, they aren't doubters now.

After showing very little interest in the concept of the noon-hour show, which resulted in Stauffer setting up shop with Oilers Lunch with the competition in the west-end, 630 CHED has taken notice of the menu of call-in fare Bombastic Bob's been serving up to listeners.

Word on the street is that 630 CHED is interested enough in Stauffer's show now that it will likely be looking to pull off a daily-double this off-season when rights for Oilers broadcasts come up.

Not only will Corus Radio, which operates 630 CHED, be looking to ink a new deal for broadcasts rights for Oilers games, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they try to wrestle Oilers Lunch away from TEAM 1260.

NICE NUMBERS

I heard it all two years ago. "Brownlee, you're a kook. How can Stauffer do colour on 630 CHED and a call-in show over at TEAM 1260? It'll never happen. No chance. Bad scoop."

Well, it did happen after 630 CHED didn't pursue the concept that became Oilers Lunch and it ended up playing quite nicely up the dial. Nicely enough, that Stauffer pulled a 6.5 share -- don't ask me what the heck that means exactly, I'm a an old newspaper guy -- for men aged 25-54 for a rating period ending in March of this year.

My understanding is those numbers got the attention of 630 CHED, beating them for the same demographic in that time slot. That bump as a lead-in to the Jason Gregor Show from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. has given TEAM 1260 a nice one-two punch in the afternoon.

While 630 CHED gets first crack at broadcast rights for the Oilers -- I'm guessing they'd love to ink a long-term deal that would take them well into the team's move into a new building -- it'll be intriguing to see how this plays out on both fronts.

WILDCARD?

The other interesting thing in this whole scenario will be to see if there's an opportunity for either TSN or Sportsnet to get into the rights bidding, now that they're going hard into the radio business. They're national players with the juice and the dough to be factors in all this.

And what about TEAM 1260? Will Oilers broadcast rights go to tender and will Astral Media end up getting a shot? If they do, do they have a real chance of getting the rights? Likewise, will TEAM 1260 they try to retain Stauffer and Oilers Lunch?

I don't know the answer to those questions, but they'll play out over the next several months. As always, stay tuned.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 Twiggs
April 26 2011, 09:43AM

@Poolanov

I could not agree more on the topic of wanting the full Rome show!! Don't know if you needed to toss in the Stauffer cut though... I'm not sayin', just sayin'

#52 Twiggs
April 26 2011, 09:57AM

I totally understand why some people don't like Rome. He has a fairly abraisive style and does enjoy repetition. The reason I like him is because he offers something the other shows on the Team don't, a different perspective. N&C, Stauffer and Gregor all offer a local view on primarily hockey, with a few other tidbits sprinkled in (CFL coverage is not bad). I like Rome because he touches on topics we would otherwise not even hear!

I liked the old set up with the full Rome show, Stauffer from 1-3 and Gregor from 3-6. I love Gregor but 4 hours is a long time. I would love to hear more Nation Radio too. Maybe a weekday slot from 6-8?

#53 Team Hall
April 26 2011, 09:57AM

More local programming! I love Stauffer, Brownlee, Rishaug, Spector, Gregor, and heck, even that weasel Tencer, because they talk about something I actually am interested in... the Oilers. Edmonton sports is 2 things: 1. Oilers 2. Eskimos 3. Everything else.

The sooner the radio figures that out, the better. And, if I have to listen to any more American "this intercollegiate player ate this for breakfast, and then Lebron cried" crap anymore, I will turn the dial. I don't care about American sports, or basically anything besides the Oilers. Call me narrow-minded, but I think most Edmontonians are like me. We are vaguely interested in American Sports, Lacrosse, Baseball, University etc. But we love our Oilers, 24/7, 365. You know what I want to hear about on Aug 12? Oilers. Oilers, Oilers, Oilers, Oilers, Oilers minor leaguers, Oilers, more Oilers. Year round. I hope I have been clear enough.

#54 Team Couturier
April 26 2011, 10:05AM

I think Gregor is a great radio guy. First time I listened to him was 2006 during the Oilers cup run, and I thought, this guy has an outstanding radio voice. It reminds me of a Steve Kouleas, or James Duthie quality, very clear, crisp, easy to listen to. The endearing thing about Bob Stauffer is that he is very knowledgeable, but he is humble and down to earth. He makes fun of himself, he takes his shots on air, he'd make a great politician. People like him. That's why we tune in. Likeability. Smart, but not Tencer-arrogant.

#55 Quicksilver ballet
April 26 2011, 10:17AM

Liked the old Stauffer before he had his spine radically removed by Katz. Bobs become just another Oiler drone, we know what he's going to say before he even says it now.... let Oilers lunch go to Ched. Replace it with the World according to Brownlee. Dwayne Mandrusiak and Lyle Kulchisky could be revolving co-hosts. Both have 30 yrs of stories to share.

#56 Hemmertime
April 26 2011, 10:29AM

Norris Candidates released. Weber Lidstrom and Chara.

Visnovsky got screwed.

Lidstrom 16 G 62 pts -2 23:28 TOI Visnovsky 18 G 68 pts +18 24:17 TOI

Id argue he was more valuable to his team too. Lidstrom is my favorite defenseman but he was much weaker defensively (from the ~10-15 games I seen him in) this year than previous. Chara's +/- gets him in there, but Weber was +8 with only 4 pts more than Chara. I know stats aren't the #1 governing factor but Vis got screwed pretty big. Even Mike Green got a nomination in the last 2 years. Didn't win, but deserves a nomination.

#57 Crash
April 26 2011, 10:34AM
BUCK75 wrote:

CHED & 1260 are both 50000 watt stations. There is a science to the whole AM radio thing, the more stations that are on the same frequency, the more bounce & worse signal you get due to the changes in the ionsphere. During the day, the radio waves travel along the contour of the earth(groundwave), at night they get all jumbled up in the ionsphere as they travel by skywave.

That is why you can pick up radio stations from the states at night. A station like 790 CFCW doesn't have as many stations to compete with on the same frequency, it's signal is good just about anywhere across Alberta even at night. I think it is bigger than 50000 watts transmitting power too.

This explanation makes the most sense. The Fan 960 in Calgary comes in crystal clear here in Red Deer at all times. Ched comes in all the time too but it's not as clear as the Fan 960 and 1260 varies dramatically at different times.

I just hope that if the Oilers change affiliates that they find a way to get the signal out better than 1260 does now.

#58 Hemmertime
April 26 2011, 10:46AM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Brownlee has a face for radio and a voice for newspapers. ( I keed on the face thing, just thought it was a good line :P ) He knows his sh*t and has good insights - but his voice sounds like an old guy sitting at the bar.

His utter lack of enthusiasm tends to make for lots of boredom. He speaks about our passion the way I would discuss the technical aspects of knitting. The odd time when he does show emotion (normally when everyone's over-talking each other) it comes off too much like a Social teacher trying to get control of his class.

It might be a byproduct of not being an Oilers fan for almost two decades, but Brownlee is exactly where he should be (imo). Writing awesome articles with no censorship and providing guest spots with hosts who can carry the pace. Wouldn't mind seeing more of his articles for national publications and on NHL.com though.

#59 positivebrontefan
April 26 2011, 10:46AM

I really hope that TSN and Sportsnet stay the hell out of this market. With the exception of Oilers game broadcasts missing from the shows on 1260 I listen to it all the time. I love the lighthearted banter of the two yahoo's in the morning, I dont need anything to heavy in the morning. And Romies' show is just that, it's more about Rome than sports really. you either like it or you hate it. Staufer does a good job, very knowledgeable guy, like you said Robin, everyone has their own personalities and stories and especially in the summer I feel for Bob, how in the hell do you fill two hours with Oilers talk in the middle of summer without being a little repetitious? Love Gregors' show, again fairly light easy going banter with some serious stuff thrown in. Enjoy the interviews he does with coaches. I like that he has on regular guests and find myself looking forward to the Spec report and some of his regular geusts. I agree though he should use Meg more, she's a funny chick with a good sense of humour. I say keep up the good work, I thoroughly enjoy the Team.

As a side bar, I think Tencer has a place in Edmonton sports radio, again he injects some of his personality into his show and is an avid booster, not nesicarily unbiased however as an Oilers fan I'm fine with that.

Hope I didn't come across as to much of a "FART CATCHER".

#60 FartCatcher
April 26 2011, 11:42AM

I'm not really sure what a fartcatcher is, probably one of those old terms from before I was born. Sure sounds funny. I think Bob needs a sidekick, he needs his Corey Graham back. If we could get Sportsnet and TSN to each have a segment on 1260, that would be outstanding. I know they wont go for it, but if Spec had a show, and Rishaug had a show, and Brownlee, why, we might actually have an all Edmonton Sports Radio station. More locals, less Americans and Torontonians.

#61 Slashotzky
April 26 2011, 11:43AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

A lot of people like and want the expanded slot for Jason's show.

HEY TEAM 1260, I'll trade you two Jason Greger hours for the hour of Rome we've lost and for an extra hour of Oiler Lunch? DEAL?

Listen, I really think the Oilers Lunch would be better to start at 1:00pm so that us Rome fans can listen to the full show. (this shouldnt even be a debate should it? Rome show ran 3 hour time slot in E_town for years and years).

Why not make the perfect line-up... ROME for 3hrs, Oiler Lunch from 1 to 4, and then the other show that I could care less about...sorry Brownlee you guys cant be great at everything, and Jason's mediocre at best. GIVE US ROME BACK please! NO MORE GREGOR MARATHON.

#62 Jae
April 26 2011, 11:47AM

Why all the hate for Tencer? He isn't the most knowledgable guy on radio, but he is entertaining and I admit i actually like listening to the post game with Tencer and Brown goofing about and joking. Brownlee is the king of drop-ins with Stauffer and Gregor, and Lowetide is doing a great job, just wish he had a better time slot. Obviously Gregor is extremely talented and entertaining, and what Stauffer lost in "vocal opposition" of the Oilers, he more than makes up for in being extremely well connected now. Listen closely to Stauffer and read between the lines, the insider info is always coming out in a subtle manner.

All in all, we have a pretty great group of radio personalities in Edmonton, who cares which part of the dial they are on. Seems like a lot of people turn the Ched/Team debate into a high school clique where you have to pick sides and be mean to the other. i want coverage and entertainment, and when it comes to the Oilers and Eskimos, I get it from both stations.

One last item... Rome = Not So Much

#63 Robin Brownlee
April 26 2011, 11:58AM

@FartCatcher

From URBAN DICTIONARY: --Fart Catcher--

"A person who cannot get their tongue further up the bosses / superiors / other persons arsehole. A kiss-arse. An arse licker. A rimmer. Someone who unnecessarily worships someone so much they catch their precious farts lest they be released into thin air. That Tony Blair is a real fart catcher to George W Bush!"

The origin: "A valet or footman from his walking behind his master or mistress."

Definition taken from The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, originally by Francis Grose.

Simply put, a yes-man, a brown-noser, a kiss-ass.

#64 Slapshotzky
April 26 2011, 11:58AM

Here's a thought, try comparing the Total Sports 4 hour time slot (maybe even 5, it was a few years now) to the current 4hr show time slot. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Tough sell for me since I remember the golden days with Bob and Spect....and great callers like the warrior "TW".

#65 Bring Back Total Sports
April 26 2011, 12:09PM

I remember that roundtable Monday that Bob used to have. Best radio show period. Bring it back. I loved having Spec and Rishaug and those guys on there. They talk about issues interesting to Edmontonians.

#66 Quicksilver ballet
April 26 2011, 12:25PM

@Hemmertime

You may be right.

I was thinking along the lines of when Robin was a little surprised when a "radio guy" found himself capable of being successful in this written word field. If Jason was able to adapt to a different field like writing/blogging, then perhaps it's possible Brownlee could change his colors as well.

#67 Gilmore Tuttle
April 26 2011, 01:40PM

If I hear Stuffer blab about his Southside Athletic career, how Katz was the first person to use the word "rebuild" or staying in beautiful downtown St. Paul one more time I will throw up in my mouth. I hope Oilers Lunch does go to 630 to give me an excuse never to listen to it except when it modulates from 1260 at Jasper and 108st.

#68 Slapshotzky
April 26 2011, 02:15PM
Gilmore Tuttle wrote:

Mr Gilmore sir, I appreciate the opinion (no I dont). WE are spoiled with the greatness of Bob. Why dont you just listen to Lesly Primeau show and drink camomile tea (maybe lactate a little) and be done with it ?

#69 Slapshotzky
April 26 2011, 02:21PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

You may be right.

I don't think Brownlee is nearly as crusty as his radio persona would have us believe, but the he writes and it confirms the truth. He is what he is and...the bears are who we thought they are! and we let em off the hook!

#70 Slapshotzky
April 26 2011, 02:26PM

@Gilmore Tuttle

Sorry Gilmore for my above comments. I like Bob; he's my fav, so maybe im biased.

#71 e5realestate
April 26 2011, 03:54PM

Interesting article, Robin. It would also be interesting to see what Stauffer's numbers are for hour 1 compared to what the last hour of the Jim Rome show was pulling in before he bumped it...

I like Stauffer for the most part, met him a few time, some on 'official' business, som on unofficial....I will say, though, that 2 hours is the right amount of time. Could never take 3 hours of tangents, which he at times likes to go off on....

#72 Dennis
April 26 2011, 05:43PM

haven't listened to Stauffer in a long time but once upon a time he was an evening staple.

I liked the idea of more Oilers info but he was a schil for all things Oilers; except for MacT.

has any of that changed or has it gotten worse since the Oilers actually Did start cutting his cheques?

#73 docweb
April 26 2011, 06:49PM

As an out of towner I would hate to see the games go to 1260 for one reason only.

It is very difficult to pick up 1260 Red Deer south or Vermilion east. Not sure about north or west.

As well 630 is on Shaw satellite so can always pick up pre and post game on the tube.

If 1260 was to boost the juice and get on the satellite package...no problem

#74 Romanus
April 26 2011, 06:59PM

@docweb

You could also stream it from the Internet. That works well. Also it's available on the home radio app on the iPhone

#75 Harlie
April 26 2011, 10:33PM
Bring Back Total Sports wrote:

uhh...those guys are on Gregor's radio show all the time. Heck, Spec has a weekly spot and Rishaug is on while he's babysitting his kids. You can't get more roundtable than that.

And all the bitching and moaning on here about the Team and our local guys versus Rome. F'n laughable. You guys don't know how good we got it here. Rome is a one hit wonder. His shark is about to jump.

#76 Reagan
April 26 2011, 11:33PM

More Jim Rome?

Eck....

Smack that off.....

Not a chance. Romie is as annoying as the Flames pretending they will be a Stanley Cup contender anytime soon.

#77 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
April 27 2011, 06:56AM
docweb wrote:

If 1260 was to boost the juice and get on the satellite package...no problem

you would have to assume that part of the deal would be ensuring coverage area for the oilers doesnt drop..

though, does common sense+ oilers = good results...? on second thought...

#78 RossCreekNation
April 27 2011, 10:37AM
FartCatcher wrote:

Agree on the sidekick. Personally, I'd like to see Nielson & Stauffer together for Oilers Lunch, along with a new morning show. I realize its unlikely, but Ross MacLeod would OWN imo. Him, Fraser & Meg in the mornings.

At the very least, if all the shows stay as are, PLEASE - no more Nielson filling in for Bob. It's not because I dislike Dustin, but SIX hours of him on those days is ABSURD. How can you expect him to stay fresh or listeners to stay tuned in.

Also, I like Rome - he offers an entertaining break from the local scene - but I also understand why people dislike him. I used to be one of those people. After 2 weeks, I still wasn't sold on him. So I gave him 2 more weeks... and I was hooked. I don't listen as much as I used to, but missing the 3rd hr is stupid. I say all or nothing. Dan Patrick could be a decent alternative, although I prefer Rome. Steve Kouleas' That's Hockey 2Day or Sportsnet's HockeyCentral at Noon would also be VERY welcomed by me in the 10:00 slot.

#79 Zamboni Driver
April 27 2011, 02:03PM

Put me down for Dan Patrick - catch him on the interwebs. He's MILES and miles better than Rome - mainly because unlike ole Jimmy (whom I used to like, but have grown tired of), Patrick does not take himself too seriously. Plus Brooklyn Decker calls in from time to time.

As for Stauffer - I miss the pre-Oilers-shill Bob. I miss not being preached to about why if I'm not entirely in favour of heaps of tax-dough going to give his billionaire boss a new barn that I'm a "Jan Reimer lover". And mostly, I can no longer listen to him ask 9-minute questions followed by, "So Jim Hughson, do you agree with me?"

#80 Bigdawg
April 28 2011, 02:11PM

Rome is brutal... he thinks he is funny and says the same thing over and over.. on a scale from 1- to 10 he thinks he is a 22.. dont like the guy.. As for Stauff... he thinks he is pretty hot stuff to.. but i like the guy.. us big boys gotta stick together lol..... GO OILERS!!!!!!!!!1

#81 Robin Brownlee
April 28 2011, 02:56PM
Bigdawg wrote:

Your "big boys" tie to Stauffer is tenuous.

You might still have a big, sloppy gut hanging over your belt and ass crack all over the place, but Bob's a trim 215 or so now. He doesn't look at good as me, but he's no big boy any more. Sorry, Bubba.