Fasth Train

Lowetide
May 11 2011 07:40AM

It doesn't matter where they come from, all they need to do is stop the damn puck. In Canada, more phone calls have been made in search of goalies (all the way from pick  up games to rec league to pro hockey) than the search for girls. Well, maybe not but it's close.

Viktor Fasth is not a huge goaltender by today's standards (6.00, 198) and he's no kid (born in 1982, he can see 30 up the road apiece) but he's as hot as hot can be right now. Fasth is coming off a quality SEL season (42gp, 2.26 .925SP) and has gone supernova at the World Hockey Championships (4gp, 0.50 .983). He won the "Honken" trophy as the SEL's best goaler this season and NHL teams are circling.

The Edmonton Oilers have a few things they can offer Fasth. One: NHL employment. With NK's legal situation on the docket for this summer the Oilers will no doubt do the prudent thing and protect themselves with a suitable replacement. Should said player win a job outright (not impossible based on Khabibulin's Red Light Racicot moments this past season) then the Russian may spend next season in the Sheldon Souray "richest man in the minors" seat. Two: they can pay him very good dollars based on their cap situation.

Any number of NHL teams have been associated with Fasth. If you google "Fasth-NHL" you get over 1 million results including this one that has Steve Yzerman interested in the suddenly popular Fasth. He has a contract for next year, but these things have a way of working themselves out.

Viktor Fasth could be the most important free agent signing the Oilers make this summer. Seriously. Goaltending is miles from being adequate despite a very fine showing by rookie Devan Dubnyk. The elephant in the room is the Russian goaltender. Viktor Fasth could change all that in a heartbeat.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 07:43AM

i'm all for running at Fasth but for cripes sake can we not become the next philly flyers with our goalies.

let's find something that works and work it.

#2 Halfwise
May 11 2011, 08:18AM

LA should sign him so they could have Quick and Fasth.

#3 Zarf
May 11 2011, 09:13AM

Hey, I'll thrown another name out there in guys who could man the nets for Edmonton next year?

Nikolai Khabibulin.

Why not give the dude another chance? It's not like he's going anywhere and, hopefully, by training camp, the distraction of the DUI charge and the night sleeping on a cot in the outdoor prison in Arizona will be behind him.

There's no reason why NK can't have the kind of rebound season that Rolly's having. And no, that doesn't mean NK has to lead the Oilers to the semis next year to have a "rebound" season.

We all pretty much figured Rolly was over-and-done when he left here but lo and behold he wasn't.

Why can't it be the same with NK?

Just a thought.

#4 Archaeologuy
May 11 2011, 09:26AM

@Zarf

I assure you that I did not think Roli was over and done with when he left here.

The Oilers should only be prepared to give NK another shot if they plan on being a bottom feeder again.

#5 I tried it at home
May 11 2011, 12:53PM

thetikk, youve made your point. Before this tangent takes over the whole thread discussion, lets just drop it. I want to read about possibilities in goaltenders, not juvenile remarks and hurt feelings.

#6 TigerUnderGlass
May 11 2011, 09:20AM

@Zarf

Nobody thought Roloson was "over and done with". I can't think of a single person besides, apparently, you.

There is an important difference between the two. Roloson was aging but still performing. Khabibulin is neither.

#7 jr_christ
May 11 2011, 10:25AM

Here's a pot stirer for ya:

what's your guys' take on having Souray come to camp next year? If two grown men could put away their pride we could use Sheldon on the point next year.

I like him better than grebby (who i still blame for us losing the cup in 06)

#8 thetikk
May 11 2011, 12:58PM

@I tried it at home

I understand IWA, and agree, yet I do feel compelled to point out inappropriate comments as they arise, since the moderators of this section don't seem greatly motivated to deal with them.

As far as Fasth-talk goes, I seem to remember hearing some sort of hockey cliche about building from the net out. Clearly not Tambien's strategy...

#9 Crash
May 11 2011, 09:30AM
buttermilk biscuits wrote:

I think Dubnyk can lead this team jsut look at his numbers..

I couldn't agree more....not sure why so many continue to discount him as a viable option going forward.

#10 Wanye
May 11 2011, 06:29PM
thetikk wrote:

Re: "Don't be gay, pick Couturier!"

Seriously? As if hockey media hadn't produced enough passive-aggressive anti-gay commentary this week...

Dear OilersNation.com,

As an ardent hockey fan and a frequent visitor to your site, I would like to request stricter monitoring of this kind of homophobic rhetoric which seems to often to creep into the comments sections of your website. It's neanderthal, infantile and hateful. It also reflects poorly on the the site's posters, editors and sponsors.

Please do your part to encourage more civil and safe discourse on this website. "Everyone's entitled to their opinion" doesn't cover this kind of hurtful text.

Thanks!

I see what you are saying here. We try and let the Nation moderate its own. The people who read this site do an excellent job of running off trolls and keeping the inappropriate talk to a minimum and keeping censorship and deleting comments as rare as possible.

#11 Pilgrim
May 11 2011, 09:21AM

@mayorpoop

Another option is to draft Magnus Hellberg (#2 among the European goalies). He is ready to roll.

#12 a lg dubl dubl
May 11 2011, 09:32AM

I just signed fasth in my nhl 11 season lol and yes I'm playing as the oilers

#13 Pilgrim
May 11 2011, 09:52AM

@mayorpoop

I'm just hoping to have another "Pecca Rinne" in him for the Oilers' sake :) Who knows? Maybe Mr. McGregor does...

#14 Quicksilver ballet
May 11 2011, 01:28PM

I'm in Khabibulins corner as well.

I have little faith in Dubnyk being able to play consistantly at a high level for 60+ games a year.

Like the idea of bringing Souray back as well, it's okay to hate what he said, it's not okay to abandon it without resolution. It paints the whole organization with that same brush.

#15 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 01:43PM
buttermilk biscuits wrote:

Like I said, go with Dubnyk..get him a quality Backup (or keep NK if they must), I like his overall Calmness in Net..seems like a pretty laid back guy off the ice too..the type of dude that can handle pressure in big game situations..sound a bit like P.Rinne?

Just keep drafting one of two Goalie prospects a year..somethings gonna pan out eventually

did you just reference and compare a N.A. goalie in the breath as a Euro goalie...how dare you!

i like your thinking, there is clarity in that.

not opposed to fasth or hellberg but dubnyk should be given whole roll of rope first, not a 2ft chunk at a time.

#16 Archaeologuy
May 11 2011, 02:13PM

@Zarf

Hindsight had nothing to do with it. The Season Roli left he had a .915 save percentage and played 3/4 of all the games for the Oil. He hadnt lost the job, he was playing well by the measurable standards. I probably was in the minority, and I do deserve to take a bow. I wont though, because I'm simply too humble to accept that kind of deserved and public recognition.

I've said it before, I understand why the Oil went another direction, but not every one of us was ready to exile Roloson to a remote part of Siberia* because he was done as a player. I thought they were planning on going younger, or better. They went with neither. At least not young enough to matter anyway, but definitely not better.

*That is what you do with the elderly, right?

#17 speeds
May 11 2011, 02:41PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

*That is what you do with the elderly, right?

At the time, I was also against giving Roloson a multi year deal - i just didn't think it was worth the risk given his age and the potential cap consequences of a multi-year 35+ contract.

So, I was fine with teh decision to walk away from Roli, or at least to wait and see what the market looked like before committing to a multi year deal to a 35+ goalie.

Then the Oilers signed a different 35+ goalie to a richer, longer contract, a move I agreed with even less than a multi year deal for Roli.

So (and this IS hindsight, but hindsight on July 1, 2009, not today) I would have much rather seen the Oilers sign Roloson to a 2 year deal earlier that day than what turned out to be the alternative, the 4 year deal to Khabibulin.

Regarding hindsight on the Khabibulin - there were an awful lot of people against it as soon as it was announced. Here are two LT links, one to the general 2009 UFA day thread where the signing broke:

http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2009/07/were-not-jet-set.html (comment re: Khabi signing start on the 2nd page)

and two, the Khabi specific thread:

#18 Ender
May 11 2011, 03:24PM

I wanted to see how clairvoyant I was, so I went back to see if I remembered my take on Roli correctly. I did.

Ender wrote:

Why are people unhappy with this? I figure that Roli will see the writing on the wall and accept this [1-year] offer fairly soon. For anyone who thinks this is a mistake, your memories are all very short. For one season, there is no reason to think Roli cannot deliver the same performance as last year, and Roli earned his cheque last year. Let's put the puzzle piece in place, be happy the hole is filled, and move on to the real problems the Oilers still need to address.

I was wishy-washy about signing him for 2-years, but I honestly didn't think he'd get a lot of other offers.

As I looked up my quote, I decided to see what some other famous people had to say that day. This one caught my eye.

Archaeologuy wrote:

Roli can play another year, he was mostly very good this year, but any attempt to strong arm a 2 yr deal ought to be met with an indignant laugh. It should feel like when the chunky kid in highschool asked out the most popular girl in the 12th grade. I like Roli, although i did think that Garon was going to have a good year last year (blew that one), but he needs to recognize that the Oilers already gave him a longer contract that anyone was going to 3 years ago. Its time for a little reality check.

In reading all the comments, know who the biggest Roli supporter was that day? None other than our very own Wanye. Dictator for life and blessed with precognition as well. Who knew?

#19 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 11 2011, 04:33PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Have to think pushing Roli out the door like they did, then signing a goaltender with a wonky back, Steve successfully drove this team hard and fast into the mud. Leaving duties in the hands of two kids that were in over their heads sortof makes you wonder doesn't it? If this was Steves plan then he it worked to perfection, we have Taylor Hall today partly because of this decision. Tambellini probably figured Khabibulin would've retired by now and the remaining cap hit would be of little consequence.

I feel Khabby has one more playoff run left in those bones within the next two yrs.

I think you are giving Tambellini way to much credit.

#20 Sanchos
May 11 2011, 05:42PM

I think Fasth would be a great signing for the oil. We have several swedish players who would help make the transition that much easier.

One Player im surprised nobody is talking about right now is Jaromir Jagr. Yes hes 39, but he is lighting up the world championship and has said he would give the oilers first shot if he were to come back. Who better to tutor our many young players? He brings a ton of experience and would be a deadly combo with hemsky. We draft Nugent Hopkins and then there is no pressure to rush him into the lineup and gives you some time to possibly deal sam gagner.

The oilers instantly become a better team adding Fasth and Jagr.

#21 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 11 2011, 08:29PM
Jimmer wrote:

@ Lowetide

Can you see a scenerio where we sign Fasth and then ship Khabby to Philly for a guy like Scott Hartnell.

I think the deal makes sense for two reasons: (1) Philly sheds about 500K in cap space and (2) They then have a vetern "Russian goalie" to help out their young Russian goalie Bobrovsky.

I pick a guy like Hartnell only because he was rumoured to have waived his no movement clause to come here for Souray....then something happened...."sigh."

That deal makes sense for everyone but the Flyers.

#22 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
May 12 2011, 07:44AM

A lot of you are commenting how Nucks Nation is a bit slow. It is an easy fix During the next series and the final if some how they pull off a shocker. Go to the Nucks Nation website and spew a few comments. It will produce action then Nucks fans will show up and shoot back. I am not saying you have to be nice or pretend you are not Oil fans just create some heat. Why Because when we get in to a Western Final with the Nucks it will be fun to go over there and RUB IT IN THEIR FACES when we go to the Finals and Win the Silver! Besides Rivalry's are Good and Calgary could be a while!

#23 firemedic136
May 11 2011, 07:48AM

Morning LT, nice article. The goalies ARE important but timing is everything:

When the Oilers captured lightning in a bottle, they had tried to secure a legitimate goaltender all season long and instead endured the 3 headed monster of Markkannen, Conky, and ...the other guy (funny, I can't remember his name but I remember I liked him- hated Conky and can remember him easily). Point being they had to trade a first rounder for a back up goalie.

Fast forward to the Bryzgalov give away to Phoenix- I think he went for less than Rolie.

As to this new guy. He might pan out- it's the same with all prospects. Anyone remember the goalie the leafs signed 2 years ago from Sweden? Where is he now??

Killer day out there, should be golfing...only 19 more years to go.

#24 fuck off
May 11 2011, 07:52AM

@mayorpoop

The Oilers will never be the Flyers. Phily pulls a keeper after a few soft games, or even a couple soft goals. Edmonton lets the guy stink it up until he's proven that he can't do the job; which is where we are at with Super Bowl Sunday.

@ Lowetide
Hey LT, any possible updates on the few, or lone Oilers prospect(s) still playing in CHL playoffs right now? I noticed Czerwonka's name on the score sheet last night via TSN. Have you followed his playoff performance?

#25 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 08:20AM
fuck off wrote:

@ Lowetide

let me clarify by saying i am not comparing the oilers goaltending to this year's philly debacle. no one in the history of goaltending management can beat that level of stupid.

the oil tho need to shut the carnival down soon and stop juggling goalies. we need some consistency somewhere and at sometime...hope fully that time is soon. sticking with the carnival theme we need to press the e-stop on the goalie carousel.

#26 buttermilk biscuits
May 11 2011, 08:41AM

I think Dubnyk can lead this team jsut look at his numbers..

#27 dawgbone
May 11 2011, 09:12AM
fuck off wrote:

@ Lowetide

Except that even when the guy stinks it up they still annoint him the starter next year (see Super Bowl Sunday).

#28 DangerMan
May 11 2011, 09:19AM

Be it Fasth or Gerber or someone else, one thing is for certain, someone needs to be brought in to light a fire under Khabibulin's backside.

Personally, I think Khabibulin is done. He looked slow and old far too often last year. A lot of worn tread on those tires. That's a hard thing to recover from. He's fighting an uphill battle just to be passable.

#29 DangerMan
May 11 2011, 09:20AM

#30 master of my domain
May 11 2011, 09:26AM

I often wonder if there would be any takers (suckers) for NK on re-entry waivers. c'mon philli, you know you want an experienced, stanley cup winning goalie.

#31 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 09:32AM
Pilgrim wrote:

why not bring him to OKC? never heard of him but sure...JDD is done in oil silks, gerber must want a shot somewhere else and roy needs a partner.

if screwing with goalies (apparently it is)is a must lets screw with them in OKC.

#32 Pilgrim
May 11 2011, 09:39AM

@mayorpoop

Of course, he can get some experience with the Barons first. But eventually Dubnyk-Hellberg (or Hellberg-Dubnyk) combination will help the Oilers to win more games than to lose. On the other hand, they won't be able to do that without solid "D" in front of them:)

#33 Quicksilver ballet
May 11 2011, 09:43AM

Every year must have its Fabian Brunnstrom or Jonus Gustafsson i guess, the 2011 Super Euro Hero is Viktor Fasth then is it, any chance of an upgrade.....Braydon Holtby?

#34 Pilgrim
May 11 2011, 09:44AM

@mayorpoop

From "draftwatch":

Magnus Hellberg, G Almtuna (SWE-2)- Huge late-bloomer will likely be the top-three or four goalies off the board in June because he's older and more advanced in his development. Teams may be hoping to grab the Swede and put him immediately into the AHL with potential for him to see NHL action sooner rather than later. Takes up so much of the net, but is also extremely agile and recovers well. Plays with some laudable focus and concentration and that is borne out in his numbers, which are terrific. The April 1991 birthdate is 6-5, 200 pounds and posted an insane .935 save percentage and 2.04 GAA in 31 games for the Allsvenskan club Almtuna. Don't be surprised to see him go off the board first or even second after Gibson. This is the kind of player that could easily be rated the top goaltender on multiple teams' boards. Central didn't even have him on their mid-term rankings. That's how quickly Hellberg's star has risen this season.

#35 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 09:47AM
Pilgrim wrote:

i just had a quick read of hellberg to find out he is 6'5" and only 20yrs old. is he draft elegible yet?

sounds intriquing.

i agree with buttermillk biscuits tho...im a fan of dubnyk and would like to see him be, at least, given the chance to prove me wrong.

#36 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 10:00AM
Pilgrim wrote:

im hoping to win the lottery to, i just MBS to pick my numbers.

where is he projected?

#37 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 10:00AM
Pilgrim wrote:

im hoping to win the lottery to, i just need MBS to pick my numbers.

where is he projected?

#38 Pilgrim
May 11 2011, 10:08AM

@mayorpoop

I've posted some data on him above. Hellberg might go right after Gibson. Use one of two third-round picks we have unless he is claimed by then (I though about getting him with the Calgary pick, but now doubt that he will last that long).

#39 Ender
May 11 2011, 10:10AM

@firemedic136

The third head of the monster that year was Morrison. I liked him too; pity he never followed up his initial performance. The job was there for any of the three if they could have proved they deserved it.

#40 doritogrande
May 11 2011, 10:10AM

Two things LT:

Khabibulin (or any Oiler shunted to the minors) will never be in that seat as long as Wade Redden continues to live and play hockey.

Do you think there's a chance we go back to Conklin as our 3rd stringer? I can't see him doing any worse than what we've got now and buddy's looking for work this summer. Could easily replace the Gerber role for the organization.

#41 jr_christ
May 11 2011, 10:23AM

I only watched him play once, but was simply amazed at his abilities. I kept saying, WOW... he's a kid haha (but he's almost 30).

I don't know if Katz wants out AHL team salary to be higher than the Phoenix Coyotes'... but sending down our drunkin' lambo driver of a goalie might make it pretty close.

#42 VMR
May 11 2011, 10:27AM

@Pilgrim

Warning bells are sounding. "Star has risen quickly", for a goaltender sounds like on an extended hot streak that he may never live up to. Kind of like the amazing Jim Carey "the Net Detective" for one season in Washington or Andrew Raycroft at one point for the Bruins or any of several other guys who may have been the best goalie in the world for a short spell and then quickly disappeared off the face of the planet.

I'd rather try and sign a free agent in Fasth than waste a high draft pick on a guy who's likely to burn out pretty quick.

PS. Never thought Rollie was washed up, wasnt sure about signing him long term with his age but replacing him with a guy almost as old, who had suffered several injuries including his back problems which tend to be long term, and hadnt played very well in several years was just insane. Never understood it.

#43 mayorpoop
May 11 2011, 10:36AM
jr_christ wrote:

Here's a pot stirer for ya:

I like him better than grebby (who i still blame for us losing the cup in 06)

if tamby isn't gonna do anything else except pat himself on the back for the 1st overall pick (again), then sure why not.

bring him back and see if we can obtain any assets in a trade later on.

#44 DangerMan
May 11 2011, 10:58AM

I didn't see many people thinking Roli was washed up, much like, I didn't see many people think signing Habby was a good signing. Its just that Roli was 40, and this team was going nowhere, which makes the Khabibulin signing even more puzzling. I guess the Oilers tried it just to see if they could do it.

Truth is they were better off without both Khabibulin and Roloson. They would have been better off with cheaper stop gaps.

#45 thetikk
May 11 2011, 10:59AM

Re: "Don't be gay, pick Couturier!"

Dear OilersNation.com,

Thanks!

#46 Zarf
May 11 2011, 11:02AM

TigerUnderGlass and Archaeologuy...

With all due respect, I think you're in the minority. From what I recall, Rolly couldn't wait to get out of Edmonton and the fans couldn't either.

Don't you remember how he pulled his kids out of school before the end of the hockey season so they could get away from hearing and reading all of the the criticism in Edmonton about his play in those final few months? Remember how much Rolly sulked when Garon basically took his job?

If you're saying that you didn't believe that he was "done," then take a bow. You were right and you were in the minority. You deserve a lot of credit for your clarvoyance.

But I'll say it again: The Oilers didn't re-sign Rolly because it looked like, at the time, he was done. And I don't remember there being much debate against it. I can't remember anyone in the Edmonton media suggesting he be re-signed.

In fact, didn't he sign with the Islanders? If he wasn't thought to be "done," why wouldn't a more legitimate NHL team signed him?

Don't get me wrong - we can all debate the merits of signing NK to replace Rolly, but I will yield to no one in my assertion that Rolly, looked, acted and sounded like he was playing out the string in those final few months of his season here.

For those of you who thought otherwise at the time, I salute you. You truly had the benefit of hindsight.

#47 Pilgrim
May 11 2011, 11:30AM

@VMR

Fair enough. However, Hellberg is characterized as the "late bloomer" who has been under the radar for quite some time. Perhaps, he has just made his next big step in development and is finally noticed for his combination of size, poise and skill. Where is he going from here? I don't know. All in all, drafting him will be somewhat of a gamble, but with a huge potential upside. Hey, aren't they all "a gamble"? :)

#48 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
May 11 2011, 11:43AM
thetikk wrote:

Re: "Don't be gay, pick Couturier!"

Dear OilersNation.com,

Thanks!

Thanks for the comments on the later post Wayne! Nuff said.

#49 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
May 11 2011, 11:45AM
jr_christ wrote:

Here's a pot stirer for ya:

I like him better than grebby (who i still blame for us losing the cup in 06)

I think the point has been made very clear to Sheldon and I for one would be impressed if management and Sheldon could work it out! It would also impress free-agents I suspect. Besides Who knows he could have a great year.

#50 Truth
May 11 2011, 12:27PM
thetikk wrote:

Re: "Don't be gay, pick Couturier!"

Dear OilersNation.com,

Thanks!

gay - dictionary results adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb –adjective 1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. 2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments. 3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

I think your reading into it wrong, I believe this poster is saying that picking Couturier would make the Oilers unhappy (or non-merry) by picking him in the draft. Lighten up.

Besides, the site for the people you speak of is flamesnation.