May 20 2011 04:33PM
Party like it is your last night could take on a whole new meaning tonight if you Harold Camping. Camping, a preacher from Oakland, California, is confidently predicting the Second Coming of the Lord. At about 6pm, on May 21st (yes 6 p.m in every time zone strangely enough) he reckons two per cent of the world's population will be immediately "raptured" to Heaven; the rest of us will get sent straight to the Other Place.
The scary thing about Camping, is that he isn't alone. Every day he speaks to his followers via the Family Radio Network. They own 66 stations across the States and they are funded solely by donations from listeners, and currently they have a whopping 120 million in assets. ( I thought the Nation rocked when we raised 2,000 to go sent Brownlee to the draft a few years ago.)
I guess Sir Wanye is going to have up his game to get more than three people listening to his "Wanye's world vision hour" Internet podcast. According to Camping my chances aren't good I'll be "raptured" (whatever the hell that means), so I and all of you, because let's be honest, none of us fit into Camping's 2%, will try to go out with a bang this weekend.
I'm sure chick magnets like Wayne, Baggedmilk and Jeanshorts will be running up to any girl they see tonight and tell her the world is ending so they might as well enjoy the best 30 seconds of their life in the back alley outside whichever pub they are at. Don't laugh, that might actually work; On the northside.
There is no way the world will end tomorrow because the Leafs haven't won the Cup, I've yet to meet Olivia Wilde and there is no way the Big Guy has that warped of a sense of humour to not let Winnipeggers see their team return to Manitoba.
- I'm happy for fans in Winnipeg, but you have to feel sorry for the fans in Atlanta who never saw one playoff win in 11 seasons. Thrashers management, cough, cough, Don Waddell, cough, cough, did a horrible job of building a competitive team. They wasted many top picks and Waddell made some brutal trades. While you celebrate having another team back in Canada, keep in mind some young kid who loved his team will be losing them. That sucks.
- I wonder if those who thought Vinny Lecavalier couldn't play anymore have changed their tune after watching him in these playoffs? He is injury free and can still dominate some games.
- I'd take Kevin Bieksa on my team any day, but I'd like to see him fight a guy who actually fights now and then. Good on him for getting Patrick Marleau to go though. I'm curious how much the Canucks or opposing GMs think he is worth if he makes it to the free agent market. I can't see the Canucks letting him go, but is he worth more than $4.5 million?
- The Sharks just aren't as good as Vancouver right now. I don't see any way they come back and win this series. The Sharks can't skate with them.
- I grew up loving Stampede Wrestling and then the WWE. Sad to hear the Macho Man, Randy Savage, passed away today. He was a great character. Ultimate Warrior was my favourite WWE wrestler, followed closely by Axe and Smash of Demolition, but the Macho Man was great, and it didn't hurt having Elizabeth by his side.
- I spoke with Chris Edwards, scout for Central Scouting, on my show this week and he said he'd take Ryan Nugent-Hopkins first overall. Two other scouts and I conversed over text and they also said they'd lean towards Nugent-Hopkins. Seems more and more people think he is the guy who should be taken first overall.
ULTIMATE SPORTS FAN PACKAGE
You can win a great sports fan package and help find a cure for MS. I am riding in the 190km MS Bike Tour on June 11th. Click here type in Jason Gregor and donate $100 and you will get an entry. Only 60 left. If you donate $200 you two entries and so on. The winner will win a prize pack that includes:
- Edmonton Eskimos season tickets
- Edmonton Rush season tickets.
- A beer fridge and beer for a year from Big Rock Brewery.
- A man-date with Ryan Rishaug
- You and two buddies golfing at the Ranch Golf and Country Club with BROWNLEE
- Expect some signed stuff, Oiler home opener tickets, other sporting events, and many more prizes to be added.
We will add a new prize every few days leading up to the draw on June 09th.
You can help MS and win a great sports prize pack.