"Few Ventured to Communicate"

Lowetide
June 02 2011 07:51AM

There are rumors from far away places that there's interest in free agent Steve MacIntyre. There's a big difference between interest from another team and MacIntyre signing with Chekhov.

Tom Renney likes his  tough guys. While behind the Rangers bench, Renney employed end-of-the-roster fighters/coke machines/goons who routinely averaged less than 6 minutes a game. In 06-07, Colton Orr and Ryan Hollweg were regulars and fought 16 and 15 times respectively.

In 2006-07 alone, Tom Renney devoted 642 minutes to Hollweg (8:42 a night) and 282 to Colton Orr (5 minutes a night). It is important to remember that these men dressed for a lot of games. Hollweg was an everyday player (78 games) and Orr played a lot too (53 games).

This past season, Renney also employed some tough guys:

• D Theo Peckham: 10 majors, 1320 total minutes
  • R Zack Stortini, 8 majors, 227 total minutes
  • R Steve MacIntrye 7 majors, 120 total minutes
  • L J-F Jacques 5 majors, 360 total minutes

I don't think Renney has found his Colton Orr; we know it isn't Zack Stortini (I doubt he's with the organization come the fall) and we suspect it isn't J-F Jacques based on all kinds of things (including durability).

MACK TRUCK!

This is not a Mack Truck (it's a Peterbilt 351, one of the most famous vehicles in movie history--not. But it should be) and there's plenty of intimidation when it comes to Steve MacIntyre. I think maybe Tom Renney would like to coach him up to the point where he's Colton Orr, but might be thinking he can't get there from here with this player.

The Russian rumor is just that--a rumor. If Mr. Google's translate works then this is a manager talking about his wish list. I suspect Steve MacIntyre will be back in the fold come autumn--unless there's a Colton Orr out there.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Archaeologuy
June 02 2011, 03:13PM

Terry Jones in the HHOF. I cant think of anything good to say about his hockey related opinions but someone must or he wouldnt be there.

#52 Jimmer
June 02 2011, 03:23PM

Konopka is a better fighter, skater and is borderline awesome in the face-off circle.

This is a dramatic postional improvement over last year...in terms of 4th liners.

2 years - 950K per year......he made 600K last year......get it done.

#53 Team Hall
June 02 2011, 03:26PM

@ Jimmer,

I'm all for your idea. How hard can it be to overpay a guy like Konopka to come here as our 4th line center? Heck, Give him 1.2M if you have to, we need him badly! It's not rocket science, Tambo.

#54 Racki
June 02 2011, 03:57PM

I wouldn't so much say that "Tom Renney likes his tough guys" as I would say that "Tom Renney likes his tough guys, as long as they bring other elements to their game". If you can't bring something to the table other than fighting, than Tom Renney wants nothing to do with you.

The first quoted statement would make me believe that Renney would love to have MacIntyre around. The second quoted statement makes me think that he wants nothing to do with him.

Really, I think he just hasn't figured out how to use him (perhaps). I think the best thing to do with MacIntyre is to give him a Boogaard-sized (god rest his soul) raise. Give him free reign out there to do what he needs to do. I loved what I saw in that final Minnesota game where he went after Stoner. Really, the only way he's going to be effective is if he doesn't have to worry about the lost paycheque funds due to sticking up for teammates. That, and he's going to have to do his damnedest to initiate stuff like Boogaard used to. I mean, hit their stars like Boogey used to do to Hemsky and other guys here. Intimidate!

But that said, in order for him to even catch a star, he's going to have to become a better skater. So I kind of see Renney's hesitation in a sense... but I still think he has failed to use him to his max potential.. maybe because of the problem of MacIntyre not being able to afford the suspensions that might come from it.

Now that I'm done that rant, I'd actually prefer what Jimmer said.. I've been on the Konopka bandwagon for at least 2 years now

#55 D-Man
June 02 2011, 04:05PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

I can't believe that.. Are you kidding? If Terry Jones is in the HHOF, it must be due to 'Most Donuts Eaten During An Oiler Game' or something along those lines..

I wonder if he's ever played a sport in his entire life?

#56 justDOit
June 02 2011, 04:14PM
Puritania wrote:

MacIntyre was -1 this season.

*This was supposed to be a reply to justDOit, ON seems to hate actually replying when you hit the reply button*

-1, with what, 17 minutes of total ice time? Are you saying that this proves he knows how to play hockey, or that he can skate, or handle the puck?

He can't go after the other team's stars, because he can't skate as well as the late, great Boogeyman. And if he could, I would be embarrassed to be an Oiler fan. Paying monster sized guys who can marginally play the game to put real hockey players on the IR is not a trend that I want to see.

Is that what you enjoyed about the Boogeyman? That he played 6 minutes a game, and put Hemsky into sick bay for a few weeks?

#57 mayorpoop
June 02 2011, 04:24PM

hard to believe some people ripping on terry jones. the man is is being inducted into the HHOF...the HHOF!

congrats mr. jones well done sir!

#58 Coco Crisp
June 02 2011, 04:24PM

Mac is my boy, he will be back. I really hope.. But i love the idea of Evgeny Artyukhin. Love it... He is perfect. Bring him and mac (yes i know) Mac has the desire to improve, he isn't even close to NHL standards of hockey. But, he can fight. Top heavy weight in chel now (god bless his soul.) I hope tambo intends to bring mac back, let him have a chance to improve... see where it leads. Bring in Evgeny Artyukhin because he is an animal.

#59 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 02 2011, 04:33PM
D-Man wrote:

I said "if" one of our players received a dirty hit.. If Hall or Eberle were dealt clean hits, Smac can't or shouldn't do anything about that... Our kids need to learn how to protect themselves...

I'm sure the Bogeyman would have done something if Gaborik received a slew-foot or a dirty hit from behind... That's where we'd need Mac to punch first and ask questions later... Yes - that would mean a suspension but again - opponents would begin to question whether they should lift that elbow or stick out that knee when hitting one of our core.

Oh ok, you cited the Doughty hit which was clean.

#60 michael
June 02 2011, 05:49PM

Smack is the number 1 heavyweight in the league. Argue that? Hall, Eberle, Omark, MP and RNH will be part of the top six forwards in the coming years.Do we really want to trust thier health to anyone other than the number 1 heavyweight? Really? Ask Gretzky the importance of a Semenko, a Brown, or a McSorley. The hits are harder, more severe, more dangerous,and certainly cause longer term injury. Even if Smack plays 3 minutes a night and adds absolutely nothing in goals and assists he'll still be worth the money they pay him. Why. Because the other team will not even think of wanting to play the kind of game where they will have to fight. Peckham. What did we like about him last year. I liked him because I knew that when he was out on the ice the other team was checking behind them. The Oilers will have superstars. But they will also have the RJ and TP and SM. They won't win without them. It will not happen. Ask Tom Renney. Ask Klowe. Ask Tambo. You need that physical prescence in the lineup. It ain't Stars on Ice. Its the NHL. And baby Winnipeg isn't going to go to war with popguns. When the Jets come calling full time in 2012-2013 they'll come loaded for bear. And I for one believe that were better off having Smack than not having Smack.

#61 prgmoose
June 02 2011, 05:50PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

We need Cal Clutterbuck. End of story.

totally agree. him and jones on the same line. look out opposition dmen. and then watch the young guys follow this example.

#62 Blue Blooded
June 02 2011, 06:04PM

Couldn't Cam Abney eventually find his way in this sort of role? Sounds like he picked up his play a lot this season

#63 Dave Lumley
June 02 2011, 06:20PM
mayorpoop wrote:

congrats mr. jones well done sir!

Hear, Hear! Good for Terry. Have read him for many years but probably enjoyed his football coverage more than hockey.

Congrats!

#64 Bucknuck
June 02 2011, 06:49PM

I can't understand why they don't use his Smac's huge shot more. He has a 100 mile an hour slapshot and he never uses it. With a hammer like that you'd think he could let loose once in a while.

His foot speed is poor, but as a winger you would hope that a speedy centre like Brule or Cogliano could be third man back and give him time if he could rush the net a bit.

#65 Bucknuck
June 02 2011, 06:51PM

Good for Terry Jones, though in my opinion he's not even close to Jim Matheson in the Journal, or Brownlee for that matter. They must see something I don't.

#66 pelhem grenville
June 02 2011, 06:58PM
D-Man wrote:

I wonder if he's ever played a sport in his entire life?

...both of you

this is the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if there was ever a time when i was so surprised by two comments this is it ya...sometimes...i wonder wtf

...narrowmindedness has 2 new top guns !

Terry Jones has covered all sports,period, professional and amateur...everywhere...on the planet...and you don't think he should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame? Is there a good reason,for you two that Jim Matheson is in the Hall of Fame?...were his hockey related opinions more palatable? Yet Jonesy DOESN'T get in ? was there something you didn't like about WEAK KNEED WHIPS?...was it about the "BIRTHDAY BOYS BLUNDER" headline you didn't like Arch? those were HIS headlines and he wrote the stories that everyone, everywhere read...wow...this Honor sir,awarded for a "body of work" should be afforded and worthy of, a modicum of respect for someone who has reached the pinnacle of a career. Y'ever have one of those? A Career? Not a lot of us have...He's off the charts widely read, he's put our city on the map as much as 99 ever did...by just reporting...a wordsmith...yes he's a fatman...maybe he didn't play a sport...good call from the cheap seats...for this fellow man and his entire life, Terry Jones has been dedicated to providing his opinion of what he sees in all sports...and you ridicule him?

#67 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 02 2011, 08:32PM
michael wrote:

He's been here for the last two years while the team pilled up the man games lost.

#68 @Oilanderp
June 02 2011, 08:53PM
T.C. wrote:

We need smack to be more of a hunter on the ice. like the game in minn.Where he went hulk smash on the guy who hit mps!

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_104ZMtse3g More of this please! Send the message, then he can sit on the bench all game and still be effective.

#69 Puritania
June 02 2011, 09:01PM

@justDOit

I'm saying that he is -1 not -33 as you stated cowboy, calm your tits.

#70 Dennis
June 02 2011, 09:03PM

Go towards the light, Big Mac; all at once taking the payday and another useless option away from Ton Renney.

#71 Ca$h-Money!
June 02 2011, 09:08PM
michael wrote:

Right.... except you failed to address any of the points that counter this argument that have been made in dozens of posts before yours.

Consider ALL of the following:

How did he help last year? There were at least 2 occasions when he dressed, was on the "4th line" and yet played a grand total of ZERO minutes. How does that discourage the other team?

He doesn't fight anyone but other fighters. He doesn't just beat on guys who play a dirty game, he only fights when other people want to fight: NEWES FLASH: THEY DON'T WANT TO FIGHT. The result is that he doesn't actually end up getting into many fights.

He can't hit, because he can't skate. A little physics: Force = Mass x Acceleration. He has mass, but no acceleration. More importantly, he's too slow to be in position to hit, people just skate right around him. Peckham and Vandermeer both hit harder than Smac does.

He is a terrible hockey player. The team that scores more than the other team wins, and when he is on the ice we get scored on, and don't score ourselves.

He doesn't line up against the top opposition of the other team, so he can't retaliate by going after those guys.

There are more reasons, I'm sure. Please try to respond to some of these comments instead of making ridiculous statements backed up with absolutely no facts like "I believe we are better off with Smack, this isn't stars on ice".

#72 Archaeologuy
June 02 2011, 11:29PM

@pelhem grenville

Whoa, All I said is that I dont have anything nice to say about his opinions. I dont like them. They bother me. So what, I'm one guy. Like I said in 51, there must be a lot of people who like the guy in order for him to make it to the HHOF, but I'm not one of them.

There are plenty of inductees in the HHOF that people disagree with. He's had a long career. That's 3/4 of the battle, and good on him for doing it. I still dont have to like him or his writing just because he was put into the HHOF.

#73 D-Man
June 03 2011, 08:45AM
pelhem grenville wrote:

...both of you

...narrowmindedness has 2 new top guns !

You must be Terry Jones - or a close relative... Personally, I've never been a fan of his writing - he's way too opinionated and no offense, I believe a journalist should retain a certain level of 'unbiased integrity' when having the opportunity to write to the masses... Matheson has this - Jones does not...

Jones did NOT put Edmonton on the map... Comparing him to 99 or even 11 is comparing a Ferrari to a quarter horse mule..

Perhaps my 'donut comment' was out of line and you're right - no one can deny Jones of his long career... Good on him for making the HHOF. I personally believe, this decision was a mistake - but then again - I only have two or three people reading my posts on Oilers Nation... What would I know??

#74 Dangerous Neil