"Few Ventured to Communicate"

Lowetide
June 02 2011 07:51AM

There are rumors from far away places that there's interest in free agent Steve MacIntyre. There's a big difference between interest from another team and MacIntyre signing with Chekhov.

Tom Renney likes his  tough guys. While behind the Rangers bench, Renney employed end-of-the-roster fighters/coke machines/goons who routinely averaged less than 6 minutes a game. In 06-07, Colton Orr and Ryan Hollweg were regulars and fought 16 and 15 times respectively.

In 2006-07 alone, Tom Renney devoted 642 minutes to Hollweg (8:42 a night) and 282 to Colton Orr (5 minutes a night). It is important to remember that these men dressed for a lot of games. Hollweg was an everyday player (78 games) and Orr played a lot too (53 games).

This past season, Renney also employed some tough guys:

• D Theo Peckham: 10 majors, 1320 total minutes
  • R Zack Stortini, 8 majors, 227 total minutes
  • R Steve MacIntrye 7 majors, 120 total minutes
  • L J-F Jacques 5 majors, 360 total minutes

I don't think Renney has found his Colton Orr; we know it isn't Zack Stortini (I doubt he's with the organization come the fall) and we suspect it isn't J-F Jacques based on all kinds of things (including durability).

MACK TRUCK!

This is not a Mack Truck (it's a Peterbilt 351, one of the most famous vehicles in movie history--not. But it should be) and there's plenty of intimidation when it comes to Steve MacIntyre. I think maybe Tom Renney would like to coach him up to the point where he's Colton Orr, but might be thinking he can't get there from here with this player.

The Russian rumor is just that--a rumor. If Mr. Google's translate works then this is a manager talking about his wish list. I suspect Steve MacIntyre will be back in the fold come autumn--unless there's a Colton Orr out there.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Ca$h-Money!
June 02 2011, 09:06AM
Mrs. Potato Dick wrote:

In my opinion we really need Macintyre.

The whole rebuilding thing only makes that more important.

The young dudes (and the rest of the team) can really get a boost from having one of the top 3 tough guys in the league riding shotgun.

Only problem is Macintyre is out hunting right now when he should be working on his skating. If he could morph into at least a shutdown, hard back-checking fwd he would see a little more ice time.

Unfortunately, this type of attitude is quite widespread amongst oilers fans, and simply isn't backed up by the numbers. Think about the following:

1) Despite the fact our roster was weak, there were still lots of games where SMac dressed but sat on the bench the whole game, or only played a couple of minutes. Hard to be intimidating when you are so bad at the actual game that the coach doesn't put you on the ice.

2) The game has changed. No one will fight Smac except for other fighters, like Ivanans. Guys like Ivanans also don't play a lot of minutes, and are never on the ice at the same time as guys like Hall, so they aren't the ones who need to be punished. If Iginla runs Hall, how does beating up Ivanans teach the flames to leave the kids alone? Drew Doughty actually did run Hall, do you expect him to fight Smac? Obviously that isn't going to happen.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) do believe that Smac helps protect the kids, why don't you provide an example of how he did that last year.

#2 DonovanMD
June 02 2011, 07:57AM

I'd like to pass on Mac, would prefer Stortini because at least he can play, if not a bit. But ultimately I only want to see one guy on the team who makes his living with his FISTs.

#3 Dizzle
June 02 2011, 11:18AM

We need David Clarkson. The guy is a beast who has scored 20 goals, fights, and is making a little too much money in New Jersey.

Brule and a 3rd round pick for David Clarkson.

Make it happen

#4 D-Man
June 02 2011, 11:50AM
Ca$h-Money! wrote:

You make a valid point... Smac is virtually ineffective if he's on the bench... However, should Mac fully embrace his role, he will be extremely effective. For example, in the situation where Doughty ran Hall... Now as I recall - Penner came flying in after the play and there was a bit of brawl... After the shift settles, Mac is on the ice next shift... Whomever he lines up with - he doesn't 'ask to go' - he just does and pummels that poor sap into oblivion (or the guy turtles to the embarassment of the fans and players watching)...

Sure - in this example, Smac would get a game suspension - but how many more times do you think he'd have to do this before teammates of a Doughty or an Iginla would start questioning whether to hit Hall?

Now I'm being a bit brutish here and if I were Renney I would 'encourage' Smac to do this for only when our elite players are dealt a dirty hit... Clean hitting is part of the game and Hall will need to learn how to protect himself.. But if Smac were not be as polite and played with a bit more of a mean streak, he'd be a great 13th/14th forward on our roster.

#5 T.C.
June 02 2011, 09:13AM

We need smack to be more of a hunter on the ice. like the game in minn.Where he went hulk smash on the guy who hit mps!

#6 Jodes
June 02 2011, 09:43AM
Mrs. Potato Dick wrote:

In my opinion we really need Macintyre.

The whole rebuilding thing only makes that more important.

So what, a guy can't take a few days off to enjoy his hobbies? God Forbid.

How do you know that he hasn't been working on his skating and his skills?

#7 jake
June 02 2011, 11:39AM

Love it Lowetide. That truck is from Duel, TV movie 1971, Dennis Weaver. I have this on DVD. Spielberg's first or 2nd movie, he referred to it as "Jaws on wheels". Horn sound still creeps me out. Good stuff man, good stuff.

#8 Dave Lumley
June 02 2011, 01:13PM

I like Peckham and Vandermeer as a couple of toughs on separate pairings, while we wait for Plante or Teubert to squeeze Jim out.

We all like Smac but I think it is time to say adieu. One Big Tear. And while we are at it, Storts and JF can be on the same train.

#9 Milli
June 02 2011, 08:12AM

I sure like Storts, but his days in Etown are done. I hope SMack is back, that guys is scarry! I think Renney likes him and thinks he can develop him. Oh, and poor Ivantis (or whatever his name is) still suffering with concussion sydnrome

#10 I'm a Scientist!
June 02 2011, 09:26AM

We need Cal Clutterbuck. End of story.

#11 chappy
June 02 2011, 09:57AM
Pajamah wrote:

Smacquintini?

That would be an abomination!

A Smacquintini shaken please, over crushed ice.

I'll have one.

#12 Mantastic
June 02 2011, 10:32AM
Lowetide wrote:

Yeah, I think Stortini is the better player, Jacques the better skater and MacIntyre the better fighter. COMBINING them would be an excellent idea--I wonder if Wanye can do it?

can you imagine the beast with Smac's upper body, JFJ's legs and zorg's head? quite possibly the ugliest/scariest thing on the ice at any time.

#13 Elaine
June 02 2011, 11:23AM

Mac is useless. He doesn't dress often enough or get enough minutes to warrant him taking up a spot on the team. We would be better off getting a face-off specialist or a good solid power play quarterback. In todays game your tough guy or "goon" needs to be able to play the game as well as be an inforcer.

#14 Adam D
June 02 2011, 12:17PM

SurfacetoAirMissile, when I watch hockey I want wins, and knuckle draggers like SMac, while likable, work against that.

What's wrong with Peckham? Nobody's going to mistake him for Paul Coffey out there, or even Tom Gilbert, but he can actually play the game. What's wrong with him being our "tough guy"?

#15 Cheesenaka
June 02 2011, 12:33PM

@D-Man

I agree completely. If he is going to be on this team and going to be an effective deterrent, then he can't simply ask guys to "go". As we saw this last season, almost nobody wants to fight him. When Torres blind-side hits Eberle, SMac needs to go on the next shift against the Sedins and pumble one of them to the ground be-damned the consequences.

#16 Puritania
June 02 2011, 02:30PM

@headmetal

Eager Konopka Artyukhin

That line would raise some hell. Cmon Tambi read my thoughts and do it!

#17 Jimmer
June 02 2011, 03:23PM

Konopka is a better fighter, skater and is borderline awesome in the face-off circle.

This is a dramatic postional improvement over last year...in terms of 4th liners.

2 years - 950K per year......he made 600K last year......get it done.

#18 Team Hall
June 02 2011, 03:26PM

@ Jimmer,

I'm all for your idea. How hard can it be to overpay a guy like Konopka to come here as our 4th line center? Heck, Give him 1.2M if you have to, we need him badly! It's not rocket science, Tambo.

#19 justDOit
June 02 2011, 04:14PM
Puritania wrote:

MacIntyre was -1 this season.

*This was supposed to be a reply to justDOit, ON seems to hate actually replying when you hit the reply button*

-1, with what, 17 minutes of total ice time? Are you saying that this proves he knows how to play hockey, or that he can skate, or handle the puck?

He can't go after the other team's stars, because he can't skate as well as the late, great Boogeyman. And if he could, I would be embarrassed to be an Oiler fan. Paying monster sized guys who can marginally play the game to put real hockey players on the IR is not a trend that I want to see.

Is that what you enjoyed about the Boogeyman? That he played 6 minutes a game, and put Hemsky into sick bay for a few weeks?

#20 Coco Crisp
June 02 2011, 04:24PM

Mac is my boy, he will be back. I really hope.. But i love the idea of Evgeny Artyukhin. Love it... He is perfect. Bring him and mac (yes i know) Mac has the desire to improve, he isn't even close to NHL standards of hockey. But, he can fight. Top heavy weight in chel now (god bless his soul.) I hope tambo intends to bring mac back, let him have a chance to improve... see where it leads. Bring in Evgeny Artyukhin because he is an animal.

#21 michael
June 02 2011, 05:49PM

Smack is the number 1 heavyweight in the league. Argue that? Hall, Eberle, Omark, MP and RNH will be part of the top six forwards in the coming years.Do we really want to trust thier health to anyone other than the number 1 heavyweight? Really? Ask Gretzky the importance of a Semenko, a Brown, or a McSorley. The hits are harder, more severe, more dangerous,and certainly cause longer term injury. Even if Smack plays 3 minutes a night and adds absolutely nothing in goals and assists he'll still be worth the money they pay him. Why. Because the other team will not even think of wanting to play the kind of game where they will have to fight. Peckham. What did we like about him last year. I liked him because I knew that when he was out on the ice the other team was checking behind them. The Oilers will have superstars. But they will also have the RJ and TP and SM. They won't win without them. It will not happen. Ask Tom Renney. Ask Klowe. Ask Tambo. You need that physical prescence in the lineup. It ain't Stars on Ice. Its the NHL. And baby Winnipeg isn't going to go to war with popguns. When the Jets come calling full time in 2012-2013 they'll come loaded for bear. And I for one believe that were better off having Smack than not having Smack.

#22 pelhem grenville
June 02 2011, 06:58PM
D-Man wrote:

I can't believe that.. Are you kidding? If Terry Jones is in the HHOF, it must be due to 'Most Donuts Eaten During An Oiler Game' or something along those lines..

I wonder if he's ever played a sport in his entire life?

...both of you

this is the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if there was ever a time when i was so surprised by two comments this is it ya...sometimes...i wonder wtf

...narrowmindedness has 2 new top guns !

Terry Jones has covered all sports,period, professional and amateur...everywhere...on the planet...and you don't think he should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame? Is there a good reason,for you two that Jim Matheson is in the Hall of Fame?...were his hockey related opinions more palatable? Yet Jonesy DOESN'T get in ? was there something you didn't like about WEAK KNEED WHIPS?...was it about the "BIRTHDAY BOYS BLUNDER" headline you didn't like Arch? those were HIS headlines and he wrote the stories that everyone, everywhere read...wow...this Honor sir,awarded for a "body of work" should be afforded and worthy of, a modicum of respect for someone who has reached the pinnacle of a career. Y'ever have one of those? A Career? Not a lot of us have...He's off the charts widely read, he's put our city on the map as much as 99 ever did...by just reporting...a wordsmith...yes he's a fatman...maybe he didn't play a sport...good call from the cheap seats...for this fellow man and his entire life, Terry Jones has been dedicated to providing his opinion of what he sees in all sports...and you ridicule him?

#23 Archaeologuy
June 02 2011, 11:29PM

@pelhem grenville

Whoa, All I said is that I dont have anything nice to say about his opinions. I dont like them. They bother me. So what, I'm one guy. Like I said in 51, there must be a lot of people who like the guy in order for him to make it to the HHOF, but I'm not one of them.

There are plenty of inductees in the HHOF that people disagree with. He's had a long career. That's 3/4 of the battle, and good on him for doing it. I still dont have to like him or his writing just because he was put into the HHOF.

Mac won't leave his hunting buddy Jones, would he?

At this point I don't even know if getting a 8 minute guy that can play with grit is the answer. It would sure be nice to find someone that can play a top 6 role with grit. Or if that isn't possible than a d-man that can really bang and play a lot of minutes.

Lowetide wrote:

I'd like to see Stortini on a two-way deal with the intention of him going to the AHL to become a better player. He wasn't exactly that bad of a fighter until that one day where I almost cried.

#27 DonovanMD
June 02 2011, 08:05AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Mac won't leave his hunting buddy Jones, would he?

Not many Lucics out there. Every GM would love this dream player.

#28 Pajamah
June 02 2011, 08:06AM
Lowetide wrote:

Smacquintini?

That would be an abomination!

DonovanMD wrote:

Not many Lucics out there. Every GM would love this dream player.

It doesn't even need to be that much grit. Marchand and his big nose would work.

#30 Dan the Man
June 02 2011, 08:18AM

I had been a Stortini fan but I just don't know if there is one thing he does well enough to stay in the NHL.

I think he would be better off dropping about 20 lbs, improving his speed and playing more of an aggitator role. He's improved his fighting a lot but I don't think he fights well enough to be a full time enforcer.

#31 Dan the Man
June 02 2011, 08:19AM

Also here's a cool story about Gilbert Brule picking up Bono hitchhiking in West Van.

Dan the Man wrote:

Southpark is going to be mad that Brule didn't run him down.

#33 Mrs. Potato Dick
June 02 2011, 08:41AM

In my opinion we really need Macintyre.

The whole rebuilding thing only makes that more important.

#34 justDOit
June 02 2011, 10:09AM

Storts can't fight well enough to take on guys one weight class under him, but he has improved over the last two seasons. Still doesn't get no respect around the league.

Smac can't skate, handle the puck, or play hockey well enough to be on the ice for 5 - 8 minutes per game. And Smac is, what - 33? So this 260 lb monster is going to 'work on his foot speed'?

Hello pro scouting dept? Do we have any target players who can chuck knuckles and put in 5 minutes of safe hockey per game? Hello?

Gee, maybe we could sign 'clutch' Torres in the off season? $15M/5 yrs? Arrrggggg!

#35 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 02 2011, 10:37AM
Pajamah wrote:

Smacquintini?

That would be an abomination!

I think it would be amalgamation of the species.

#36 rindog
June 02 2011, 11:09AM

@Lowetide

What do you think about a guy like Jay Rosehill?

He seems to be combination of the three players you mentioned.

Plus he has ties to this area...

#37 pelhem grenville
June 02 2011, 11:51AM
jake wrote:

classic movie...well said jake

LT ...did Ivanans ever come to? he never played another game after Smac took him out the first game of the season...

#38 Blue Blooded
June 02 2011, 12:12PM

Ummm.... how about Cameron Abney in a few years??

#39 SurfacetoAirMissile
June 02 2011, 12:12PM

When I watch hockey games I want Goals, hits and fights.... that is why I love hockey. If not Mac, then get someone else who can crush but I don't think JFJ is enough of a Brute and I am done with Stortini.

#40 SurfacetoAirMissile
June 02 2011, 12:29PM

@Adam D

I agree Peckham is great (he can be forgiven for getting KO'd in one game) but we need more than just Peckham on our squad. I would be happy if they re-up'd Vandermeer, that would give the Oil a nice 1-2 punch.

I also love winning, however it is probable the Oil won't do much winning again this year so if you can't beat them.... smash them.

#41 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 02 2011, 12:30PM
Adam D wrote:

I don't think Peckham is any tougher then Stortini.

#42 bigrroberto
June 02 2011, 12:37PM
Adam D wrote:

Because, being down a forward on the third or fourth line that doesn't play much anyways is alot easier to deal with then being down 1 defender with a game misconduct or 10 min major etc.

#43 D-Man
June 02 2011, 12:37PM
Cheesenaka wrote:

Exactly... But it doesn't need to be a Sedin sister... If Smac grabbed even a Bieksa - the point is by doing this, other teams will think a bit longer about hitting Eberle... I'd hate to watch one of my teammates get plastered for something I did - I'm sure NHLer's feel the same.

#44 Pucker
June 02 2011, 01:01PM

I cheer for smac to get ice time.

I have to agree if he's only going to fight the other team's monsters, he's not a necessity.

I do recall he jumped someone in one game after they hit Magnus. Probably took 2-5 and a game but I think that's worthwhile and effective in the long run. Basically he's got to be a jerk to be effective and the team has to pull up the support to kill these penalties.

That being said, if the coach isn't going to play him, for whatever reason, he might as well be cut loose.

I like him. I want him to be an Oiler. Based on last year, I just don't think they'd miss him if he wasn't around.

#45 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 02 2011, 01:05PM
D-Man wrote:

Good in theory, not so good in reality.

Boogard (RIP) played the closest to what people seem to think Mac should play like, yet I bet Gaborik has been hit as much as any other star.

#46 Oilers4ever
June 02 2011, 01:15PM

Stortini could not fight his way out of a wet paper bag... He might skate better but his role is as an enforcer, not a playmaker. And as an enforcer, he sucks compared to Big Mac. End of Story.

#47 D-Man
June 02 2011, 01:20PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Good in theory, not so good in reality.

I said "if" one of our players received a dirty hit.. If Hall or Eberle were dealt clean hits, Smac can't or shouldn't do anything about that... Our kids need to learn how to protect themselves...

I'm sure the Bogeyman would have done something if Gaborik received a slew-foot or a dirty hit from behind... That's where we'd need Mac to punch first and ask questions later... Yes - that would mean a suspension but again - opponents would begin to question whether they should lift that elbow or stick out that knee when hitting one of our core.

#48 book¡e
June 02 2011, 01:35PM
Milli wrote:

Yeah, that fight was awesome. Somehow, I don't remember much else from Smac's season. The last few games he started to rough it up again, but what did he do with the other 75 or so games?

#49 Randy
June 02 2011, 01:41PM

Renney may like his tough guys, but no matter what he says actions speak louder than words when it comes to McIntyre. You don't dress a guy and then never give him a shift (not once but twice) at a point in the season when the only good thing that can happen are losses.

If I was MacIntyre I would have my agent leave no stone unturned in every organized league on the planet before I would set myself up for that kind of humiliation again.

#50 SportsDad
June 02 2011, 01:51PM

Lowetide, not sure if you have seen this link, but it shows all the shows\movies that the Peterbilt 351 was in :)