Ryan Whitney: Go to the FRONT of the Line!

Lowetide
June 02 2011 06:44PM

Ryan Whitney has a lot going for him. He's a quality NHL defenseman (an endangered species in our town), a wonderful twitter author and is generally well thought-of by those "in the know". However, I think he's about to spike in popularity among Oiler fans. Why? Read on.

According to this article, Ryan Whitney put into words what most (or all) Oiler fans are thinking about the Vancouver Canucks this spring:

• “I’d say 90 percent of the guys in the league want nothing to do with seeing them win. There’s no doubting their team’s pretty amazing. But who makes up that team makes them so tough to like that it’s frustrating to see them doing this well.”

If Ryan Whitney has to pay for a beverage in any public place in Edmonton from this day forth, it will be a dark day. His twitter is here. Future captain, Ryan Whitney. What a breath of fresh air.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Dave Lumley
June 03 2011, 01:41PM

@Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"

Thanks, I like your plan or have the final Pre season game each year an Avco cup game.

Looking forward to hating Winnipeg more than Calgary but nowhere near as much as the canucks

#52 deputyoilfan
June 03 2011, 04:09PM

Whitney's quote could not sum up how I felt any better.

#53 Teddy
June 03 2011, 06:24PM

I found another disgraceful example of Gretzky's antics Denzel. I wouldn't expect most Oiler fans even remember Gretzky though.

#54 David S
June 04 2011, 03:10AM
Teddy wrote:

I remember Gretzky.

I'm pretty sure he'll take those cups/medals/trophies/championships/wins over the fresh cookies your mom brings you in the basement.

#55 South of Cowtown
June 04 2011, 10:20AM

Ha, that's hilarious!

#56 SK Oiler Fan
June 04 2011, 11:35AM

Ryan Whitney just became my favorite Oiler. What a bang on statement. Just too many D Bags on that team. I'd include a majority of their fans in that quote as well. Quote of the year.

#57 Adrien Proulx
June 04 2011, 09:54PM

@Dave Lumley

I'm Adrien Proulx, Don Roys buddy. Is he still bringing home fat chicks?

#58 Shaun Doe
June 05 2011, 01:45AM

Its funny, I mentioned this quote to a friend and he asked me why players are against the Canucks. I told him because they are cocky. He asked me why would they be cocky if they haven't won anything. I told him thats kind of the point, they have a swagger for a team thats never won anything (I think the point was lost on him). I then said they have a reputation for diving. He said Boston could have been called for diving several times in game one. I said that yeah I think most teams have players that dive here and there but Vancouver seems to have more than others. He called me a Canuck hater... I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

#59 Milli
June 06 2011, 08:38AM

Man that is the MOST TRUE statment ever!!!