Ryan Whitney: Go to the FRONT of the Line!

Lowetide
June 02 2011 06:44PM

Ryan Whitney has a lot going for him. He's a quality NHL defenseman (an endangered species in our town), a wonderful twitter author and is generally well thought-of by those "in the know". However, I think he's about to spike in popularity among Oiler fans. Why? Read on.

According to this article, Ryan Whitney put into words what most (or all) Oiler fans are thinking about the Vancouver Canucks this spring:

• “I’d say 90 percent of the guys in the league want nothing to do with seeing them win. There’s no doubting their team’s pretty amazing. But who makes up that team makes them so tough to like that it’s frustrating to see them doing this well.”

If Ryan Whitney has to pay for a beverage in any public place in Edmonton from this day forth, it will be a dark day. His twitter is here. Future captain, Ryan Whitney. What a breath of fresh air.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 ricky p
June 02 2011, 06:46PM

Let me be the fist to buy him that beverage

#2 jeanshorts
June 02 2011, 07:02PM

*Orders Whitney Jersey*

*Builds 200 foot tall statue of Ryan Whitney*

He's so like us!

EDIT: I also like how it says in the article that he (obviously) caught tons of flack from Canuck fans. How dare a guy who actually plays against them, and is on the receiving end of their agitation say he doesn't like them!

#3 They're $hittie
June 02 2011, 07:18PM

So it is not just oilers and flames fans that realize what big pieces of s(*t these guys are. (Bieksa, Burrows, Kessler, Lapierre, Torres) not to mention the swedish diving team coached by Luongo.

#4 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
June 02 2011, 07:18PM

This guy really is what you need in a future Captain. It's not like they should strip the "C" from Horc but this guy would be an obvious choice.

Ryan Whitney is awesome.

#5 Quicksilver ballet
June 02 2011, 07:22PM

Here's to hoping we get something that resembles a 70 game season from Ryan this year.

#6 DSF
June 02 2011, 07:25PM

I wonder what the margin of error is in Whitney's poll of every NHL player.

Likely the same 90 percent who picked Edmonton as the place they would least like to play hockey.

#7 spOILer
June 02 2011, 07:26PM

LT...

Do you know something about Horc that you're not tellin us?

Sail on KGB Mole.

#8 freeze
June 02 2011, 07:28PM

Whitney is awesome. I really hope his ankles/feet are 100% this season!

#10 Al
June 02 2011, 07:42PM

Hockey is about getting people to dislike you, not the opposite. Most of the game's greatest players have been irrationally hated amidst their careers. Some of the game's greatest teams as well...

#11 michael
June 02 2011, 07:44PM

I'd rathr eat sh$T than admit to ever cheering for the Canucks.Or the Flames,Canadians, Leafs, Senators and Jets. I couldn't care less if the Bruins won. Me. Its us against them. And them are the other 29 NHL teams. Its Oiler Copper and Blue. Live and die.No one else.

#12 DSF
June 02 2011, 07:51PM
Al wrote:

Precisely.

The Pink Nancies among Oiler fans (a swelling chorus) would have rejected the notion of Bobby Clarke and his henchmen ever playing the home side.

Phhhtttt.

#13 hemi
June 02 2011, 07:54PM

Beers and Cheers to Michael......In 79 I became an Oiler fan, been one ever since. There is no other team! Go Oil Go!

#14 jeanshorts
June 02 2011, 08:09PM
michael wrote:

I think you need to have a sit down with the people I have to deal with daily here in Vancouver and explain to them why watching the Canucks inch closer to the cup is making me nauseous. Every time I try to, all I get are scoffs or "Hey! I cheered for the Oilers in 06!" as if that is somehow my fault or that I made them do it. Somehow "Because I'm an Oilers and and I hate the Canucks more than any other team in all of sports" doesn't seem to resonate.

#15 DSF
June 02 2011, 08:14PM
jeanshorts wrote:

I'm sure they are enjoying your discomfort.

Perhaps pretend you're a Jets fan for the next five years might be a good strategy?

#16 jeanshorts
June 02 2011, 08:23PM
DSF wrote:

I'm sure they are enjoying your discomfort.

I have taken steps to go out of my way to be civil about it. I try to look at it as objectively as possible IE "Yeah, that Hamhuis hip check was pretty awesome" or "I'm just happy to watch an exciting series" while my "Playoff Ulcer" gets bigger and bigger. That way hopefully I won't have to deal with as much of the inevitable onslaught of "THE CANUCKS ARE THE BEST TEAM EVER!! S MY D!!!! CUP WINNERS!!!!" that I've already been dealing with for the last 5 years (minus the cup winners part obviously).

And I get surprisingly little flack whenever I wear my Oiler gear. And a few times I've actually gotten "It's cool that you still stick with your team regardless of how crappy they are" from the handful of legitimate, non-bandwagon Canuck fans around here who actually get it.

#17 Wanyes bastard child
June 02 2011, 08:25PM

My burning question is, what is that stick saying to Ryan?

He appears to be listening rather intently to it.

#18 jeanshorts
June 02 2011, 08:31PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

My burning question is, what is that stick saying to Ryan?

He appears to be listening rather intently to it.

"Don't listen to them. There's no way you'll go the entire year without scoring a goal. Trust me".

#19 DSF
June 02 2011, 08:38PM
jeanshorts wrote:

No...it'saying..."Smid has some lucky sticks"

#20 jeanshorts
June 02 2011, 08:42PM
DSF wrote:

No...it'saying..."Smid has some lucky sticks"

"If we burn this entire building down they'll HAVE to build a new arena!"

#21 Harlie
June 02 2011, 08:43PM

Creme is still the coolest.

#22 DSF
June 02 2011, 08:49PM
jeanshorts wrote:

"If we burn this entire building down they'll HAVE to build a new arena!"

Or move to Quebec.

#23 Denzel
June 02 2011, 08:50PM

I can't tell you how disgusted I am watching a team led by such a disgraceful diver. Three decades ago and I still feel sick.

As Kerry Fraser remembers of one of the game's most notorious divers (and a captain at that):

"The Philadelphia Flyers were the guests that evening and Wayne Gretzky started "falling down" very early the game and looked my way before he hit the ice to see if my arm was raised. The more Wayne dove and the crowd yelled, the more secure the whistle remained in my pocket.

With under a minute to play and the Flyers up by one goal, Wayne was in his "office" behind the goal. Pelle Lindbergh caught the puck and I whistle play stopped. Gretz, standing all alone behind the net, leaped into the air and threw his hands forward, his feet stretched out behind him, and executed a belly flop worthy of a perfect score. Bobby Clarke skated up to Wayne and said, "Get up you $%& baby."

Guy didn't deserve any of his Cups.

#24 Mrs. Potato Dick
June 02 2011, 08:50PM
michael wrote:

Well said. I'm not an NHL fan...I'm an Oilers fan.

#25 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
June 02 2011, 09:00PM
michael wrote:

I couldn't agree more. If you prick ( tee hee, I said prick ) my finger, I bleed Copper and Blue. As far as I am concerned, there is no other.

#26 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
June 02 2011, 09:01PM
michael wrote:

#27 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
June 02 2011, 09:23PM

@Denzel

If nobody replies to this troll he will have wasted his time with his long post, thusly discouraging him from doing more in the future.

Anyone bad mouthing the hockey adonis is just looking for trouble.

#28 DSf
June 02 2011, 09:30PM
Max Powers - Team HME Evans wrote:

Anyone bad mouthing the hockey adonis is just looking for trouble.

Thing is...

Denzel is right.

#29 raceguy
June 02 2011, 09:40PM
DSf wrote:

Thing is...

Denzel is right.

It sure must suck being you DSF.Hanging around other teams websites and trolling everynight.What a pathetic life you lead.

#30 CanaDave
June 02 2011, 10:16PM

Meh, if you are diving because you are an extremely skilled player and think it might get you a call I can understand it but buddy who posted about #99 is missing his own point, since after Henrik dived last night I'm sure the refs laughed like I did and decided right there that Henrik wasn't going to get another call the rest of the night, which I'm pretty sure he didn't.

#31 K-UGER Industrial Smoothing
June 02 2011, 11:22PM

#32 Shaun Doe
June 03 2011, 12:05AM

Everyone knew Gretz was a diver and a whiner at the beginning of his career. They also knew that Crosby was and are now saying that Hall is doing the same. Young stars are used to having things go there way and being untouchable in their old leagues and often try to goad refs into calls based off of their star power. Its a phase that quickly fades

#33 buttermilk buscuits
June 03 2011, 12:16AM
Shaun Doe wrote:

hall wasnt exactly a non-touchable in Junior Hockey..I remember him in the Memorial Cup Finals getting hit face first into the boards only to come back and score a huge goal a shift or two later.. just saying..

#34 jeanshorts
June 03 2011, 01:34AM
buttermilk buscuits wrote:

You forgot to mention that not only did he come back but he came back and did this

Now THAT'S gumption!

#35 Chris.
June 03 2011, 06:43AM

A theme with the media recently is trying to understand why the Canucks are not Canada's team.

Denzel is Exhibit A. The ignorent and classless fan.

#36 jayoilfan
June 03 2011, 07:36AM

The Canucks are not Canada's team. Team Canada is, you know, the one that won GOLD at the Olympics or at the WC this year didn't make to medal rounds. That is the only Team Canada I cheer for.

Most people at my work are Flames fans (I live in Calgary) and this is one of a few things in Hockey they agree with us few Oilers fans at work. Canucks suck and I will not cheer for them (Ryan Witney has it bang on). I only have a passing interest as to the outcome but I probably won't watch a single game of the finals.

I had more interest in the Memorial cup and right now it is the draft talk and trade rumour that fuel my hockey passion.

#37 Shaun Doe
June 03 2011, 07:45AM
buttermilk buscuits wrote:

Sorry I guess I mean more that they are untouchable in the sense that they are used to having calls go their way. Rough them up and you go to the box.

#38 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 03 2011, 08:45AM
Al wrote:

Dislike and lack of respect are two different things however.

#39 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 03 2011, 08:49AM
jayoilfan wrote:

I would add to that the return of the Jets I so want to see that Name back I pray the owners keep it. I know they were thinking of going to a new name but a Heritage Classic between the Oilers and Jets IN WHA colours would be so cool.

#40 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 03 2011, 09:04AM

Speaking of Jets I would also love to see the AVCO cup brought back in some capacity between the Jets and Oilers. Like if the final preseason game was always between the Jets and Oilers and the winner got the cup for the next year. Rivalry is good.

#41 Dave Lumley
June 03 2011, 09:48AM
Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!" wrote:

AVCO cup, there is a pleasent trip down memory lane. Does anyone know where the old AVCO cup is now?

#42 OilFan
June 03 2011, 10:39AM

Shouldn't every player on the Oilers not like Vancouver ? Future captian ? Remember we were ripped on the trade for Whitney ? Captain crow feet ? Come on guys.

#43 Marcus
June 03 2011, 10:56AM

Canucks are now Canada's favourite hockey team, poll declares: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Canada+favourite+hockey+team+poll+declares/4886004/story.html

#44 CHAVEZ
June 03 2011, 11:13AM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

My burning question is, what is that stick saying to Ryan?

He appears to be listening rather intently to it.

Stick says: "Ryan, why is the skin on your left hand so soft?"

Ryan replys: "Before leaving town, Penner gave me all his extra hand cream, I think its the same kind Gilbert uses, i'm not sure I like it, it smells to fruity."

Stick replys: "When did Penner leave town? I hardly noticed he was gone."

Ryan responds: "Was he ever REALLY here?"

#45 FastOil
June 03 2011, 12:15PM

@Shaun Doe

I guess if you're a Sedin the phase lasts a lot, lot longer.

#46 Thierry
June 03 2011, 12:47PM

Maybe one day the Oilers will have a reason to dive.

#47 LoweBlow
June 03 2011, 12:57PM

Beautiful comment, I loath the Canucks for the exact reasons as he so eloquently and euphemistically put it. Of all the defensemen for the Oilers, he's one of them.

#48 Shaun Doe
June 03 2011, 12:58PM
Thierry wrote:

Maybe one day the Oilers will have a reason to dive.

That actually makes zero sense at all...

#49 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 03 2011, 01:14PM
Dave Lumley wrote:

Three AVCO trophies exist; besides the one that is on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame, the others are in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and in the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame in Halifax. I think if the Oilers and Jets meet in the playoff the winner should keep the trophy till the next time they meet.

#50 Timothy
June 03 2011, 01:19PM

Agree with Thierry. What good is Hall diving now, with the Oilers sad PP? We need to improve our PP then I'm sure Hall will start diving for us hopefully.