REINSTATING SHELDON SOURAY

Robin Brownlee
June 20 2011 05:34PM

Steve Tambellini stood his ground with Sheldon Souray. He made his point. Now, before the Edmonton Oilers GM buys out Souray, he should put a call into him. If Tambellini hears the right things from Souray in that conversation, he should consider inviting him to training camp.

As anybody who has followed the ongoing Souray saga at Oilersnation since rumblings the big defenceman wanted out of Edmonton surfaced, that statement marks a considerable shift in position. Some might say a flip-flop, although I don't see it that way

I didn't want Souray anywhere near a room full of young prospects like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi at camp last September after he went public with his discontent at the end of the 2009-10 season. I applauded when Tambellini told him not to bother showing up at training camp and later loaned him to the AHL.

Had Tambellini wavered then after being publicly shown up by Souray, it's my belief he'd have been gutted as GM. Paying Souray his full NHL salary to play in the minors, even on loan to another organization with the Hershey Bears, was better than having him in the room, even if it did little to make the most of the player as an asset.

Having made his point, the responsible thing for Tambellini to do in terms of what's best for the team paying his salary, is to consider bringing Souray back to the fold -- with conditions, of course.

WANTS AND NEEDS

\

Tambellini most certainly needs NHL defensemen and I think Souray still qualifies as one of those, even if he's obviously overpaid, getting long in the tooth and is breaking down.

Rather than pay Souray to go away via buy-out during the window to do so in the next couple of weeks, Tambellini should see if there's a chance to mend fences. That's not my idea, by the way. I got to thinking about it after a thought-evoking e-mail to TEAM 1260 by a fan this morning. The more I thought, the more it made sense. With caveats.

If playing in the minors for an entire season without having a single NHL team show any real interest in him -- the New York Rangers took a look but quickly said, "No thanks" -- hasn't humbled Souray and convinced him to simply shut up and play, then nothing will.

While I don't expect Souray to make a public apology for his criticism of the organization on getaway day at the end of the 2009-10 season, I would expect him to do it privately with Tambellini. I'd also expect him to pledge to provide veteran leadership to roster laden with youth. No bitching, no moaning. None of what got Souray gone in the first place.

If Souray does that, what legitimate reason, pride notwithstanding, would Tambellini have not to listen?

WORTH A TRY

Souray most certainly wants another NHL contract and this season is his best -- and last -- chance to earn one. Tambellini, as everybody knows, does not have a surplus of NHL defensemen.

If Souray toes the company line and stays healthy, maybe he gets that new deal he wants. If he does, Tambellini gets the benefit of Souray's skills, diminishing or not, and maybe gets something for Souray at the trade deadline. Not much, but something.

Souray has been force-fed a heaping helping of humble pie. If he's digested it and is willing to come back ready to play instead of to piss and moan about just about everything, as he used to, then it seems to me like it's worth a shot.

Tambellini won't know if that's a possibility until he at least picks up the telephone and sees if there's some mutually satisfactory business to be done. As GM of this team, that's a call he has to make.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 Kevin
June 20 2011, 09:30PM

Souray, has had his share of hummble pie and hopefully ST sees and understands what his team needs and lacks.That is Sandpaper and, some size wouldn't hurt either. A healthy Souray with the right attitude can be that guy. He would definitely address a need the Oilers have. If Souray decides to play fair ball and be a father figure in this youthful dressing room he brings another dimension. I don't see to much downside here. The question is do we have a GM that can put team needs first and address those needs, make amends. Can the two shake hands with only the good of the team in their fore fronts. If so- its a win win.

#52 raceguy
June 20 2011, 09:36PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

No, "raceguy," what you did was say something stupid that has no connection to the Souray situation in an attempt to we a wise guy..

Now, it's "all I did was . . ." If you're going to be a donkey, at least have the conviction to stick with it instead of changing gears from wise ass to victim when you got a reaction.

All I did was disagree with you.I happen to think bringing Souray/Smyth back is stupid which my sarcastic comment showed. You think my comment is stupid,fine,no need to insult.I don't feel like a victim at all just surprised by the insult.

Good thing you don't insult everyone who you think says something stupid or thats all you would do.

#53 Clyde Frog
June 20 2011, 09:43PM

Meh depth is depth. I am fine with it if there are no sweet free agents to be had.

If we bring him back as apposed to a signing someone else I might cry...

But then again its not my 5 million being paid to him to buff someone elses minor league team.

#54 David S
June 20 2011, 09:54PM

I agree with Robin's article, but it's very possible that Souray's banishment was on the direct orders of Daryl Katz himself. As a business owner, the last thing he'd put up with is an employee talking down his organization. If that's the case Souray will not see an Oilers jersey again, and very likely an NHL jersey either.

Like it or not, Souray messed with the bull and now he's getting the horns.

#55 Dog Train
June 20 2011, 09:54PM

Souray's only ticket back to the NHL would be coming back to Edmonton for next season. I just hope that he could make it to the trade deadline before his hundreds of injuries kick in and we can get something for him.

I don't see it happening though.

#56 Drago
June 20 2011, 10:05PM

Whitney-Petry Souray-Peckham Smid-Foster

Hmm, thats not half bad at all. With Horcoff and Whitney already here and potentially Smytty back to keep Souray in line if he steps out I would definitely do it.

It's no secret the Oilers need a solid, everyday DMan, they have one under contract, might as well use him. Best case scenario he is motivated to prove everyone wrong for passing on him and he has a career contract year...

#57 Mrs. Potato Dick
June 20 2011, 10:11PM

I was a huge Souray fan before he started running his mouth. When he isn't injured he is one tough customer. How many fights have you seen Souray lose? None.

I would be happy to see him back under positive-role-model circumstances. He may be getting older but it's not like he was an average player before. He was a near all-star level player who made people fear his slapshot and then fear his fists.

Just like Brownlee says. We need some grit and Souray has that in spades. I am sure he can still contribute and would certainly slot into the top four.

Will he get injured again? Hell, probably. All considered though for a player already on the payroll and with precious little trade interest shown from other teams....what do we have to lose?

Bring back The Big Sex.

#58 J-Dogg
June 20 2011, 10:23PM

Think I'm with Ender on this one. Seems to be very little upside in the best case scenario, versus what comes in the (albeit somewhat unlikely) scenario that he returns to form as a volatile presence. I'd rather that spot was used on younger talent.

#59 Mrs. Potato Dick
June 20 2011, 10:27PM
J-Dogg wrote:

Which of that younger talent is more skilled than Souray? The Oilers do need to think about winning some hockey games here.

No worries the young guys will get called up soon enough when Souray breaks something and gets tossed onto the IR.

#60 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
June 20 2011, 10:30PM
jeanshorts wrote:

The Edmonton Oilers: Bring us your tired, your poor, your broken down, barely useful defensemen.

Seriously though, while I agree with the premise that it's probably about time to forgive and move on, let's not forget that this is a guy who was passed on by 30 out of 30 NHL teams, 29 of which would have only had to pay, what, 2.something mill per year for the remainder of his contract? And this is the same guy who no more than two years prior had the best offensive season of his career. That's a pretty decent sized red flag if you ask me. Sure he's a step up from Strudwick, Foster, Chorney (last season anyway) and, well, as far as I'm concerned that's about it.

It was a good idea at the time, but it ended up blowing up in everyone's faces. Let's not reactivate Chernobyl please.

You have such a way with words, JS! Props!

#61 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
June 20 2011, 10:35PM

@Mrs. Potato Dick

I seriously laughed out load when I saw your user name!

As for the last sentence in your comment; 1000% disagree!

#62 Chris.
June 20 2011, 10:42PM

If Tambellini trades next years first (as Brownlee earlier speculated); does that increase the odds Souray is brought back into the fold? Hmmmm...

It's fun to watch the way Brownlee feeds the nation intel in tiny spoonfuls. No way Souray is bought out till after Friday.

#63 J-Dogg
June 20 2011, 10:48PM
Mrs. Potato Dick wrote:

Sheldon Souray 2 years ago? or Sheldon Souray 10/11 Hershey Bears edition?

If he's playing the way he did this year, I'd be happy to pass that up, even a whole year of it (which you think is unlikely) for pretty much anyone else here for the longer term.

That's all assuming he's learned his lesson and plays nice, which, added as an uncertainty bumps me well into the realm of let's not bother.

#64 inheritance
June 20 2011, 11:06PM

Bringing Souray back really doesn't make much sense. We all realize that the Edmonton defense corp is lacking and in need of help. In your picture perfect world, you take a look at Souray and the Edmonton's defense group, and it appears to be a fit.

The problem with this thinking, is that there's little to no chance Souray will ever re-sign with Edmonton when the season is done. If he's not part of the long term future, we don't have any use for him. The Oilers next year are not cup contenders, so he doesn't fit the short term plan.

Can he assist the development of our younger players? The answer is we don't know for sure. Then why would we take this gamble?

And the only other good reason I can think of is that he plays himself into a trade-able commodity. For a guy that was able to taken by any of the 29 other teams at half price for free, this doesn't seem very feasible either.

The only sensible option is to cut our losses, buy him out and move on.

#67 Mrs. Potato Dick
June 20 2011, 11:24PM
J-Dogg wrote:

Sheldon Souray 2 years ago? or Sheldon Souray 10/11 Hershey Bears edition?

If he doesn't look like he can play in training camp or he starts to stink it up in the regular season he can always be waived again. I'm not suggesting the uber-craptacular Hershey version of Souray would be of any benefit.

Any suggestion I made that Souray should come back would be contingent upon him actually winning a spot on the team and keeping it. If he even looks like only a marginal upgrade from a Petry or a Plante then I would say pass on him there as well.

Souray needs to show that he is clearly the best option.

#68 Mrs. Potato Dick
June 20 2011, 11:29PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

I seriously laughed out load when I saw your user name!

As for the last sentence in your comment; 1000% disagree!

I totally respect where the disagreement comes from. Last thing any of us want is some dillhole in the dressing room.

Maybe I grew too attached to that rad Souray-winding-up-for-a-slapshot figure on the shelf in my office.

#69 @Oilanderp
June 20 2011, 11:36PM
Mrs. Potato Dick wrote:

Bring back The Big Sex.

Souray was better than a near all-star. He was one. 3 times: 2004, 2007, 2009.

The two of these guys (Tambi and Souray) better smarten up, swallow their pride, act like men and realize there's business to get done here. Tambi needs to recoup value, and Souray needs to prove he can play.

He doesn't need to be a role model. He just needs to shut up and play some hockey.

#70 CanaDave
June 21 2011, 12:53AM

I've felt for a while now that how handling the Souray situation will do more for Tambellini's profile as a GM in the NHL than anything he could do at the draft this weekend, especially in the eyes of the other players in the NHL.

I don't expect the two of them to apologize to each other, go camping together after the draft or hug it out in front of the Gretzky statue at Rexall, but I do think if Tambellini simply buys out Souray without at least doing due diligence as Robin suggests, he is doing a dis-service to the organization and to the fans on a level that's much more unforgivable than trading the 2012 first round pick.

If Tambellini makes a statement after the draft saying that Souray will be allowed to report to training camp this year, and if the coaching staff feel that Sheldon should be on the team he will be on the team. If Souray declines the offer for whatever reason, at least Tambellini can't be blamed for trying to mend the bridge. He comes off as professional and Souray comes off as small.

#71 Ed from Edmonton
June 21 2011, 03:42AM

I suppose inviting him to training camp might make sense. Remember no team wanted him last year on re-call waivers when they could have him for hlaf price. This tells me his performance in the A was not impressive. If he shows he is washed up during training camp, they can send him down to the A again and all that is lost is Katz's money.

#72 pelhem grenville
June 21 2011, 07:34AM

with all due respect...have you gone soft and limp on this issue?..not a chance...the damage is done Robin ...a longlong time ago ...our GM banished him to a place worlds away, Chocolate Highway Land in another league with another teams' farm club...wasn't that far enough away? what about the out of sight out of mind theory? this 'kiss and make up' so he can come back "to the fold" idea is riDONKulous... i just don't think it'll ever happen... you want to rescind all that's been put in place but with conditions and caveats...like he's proven that he'll be able to keep any of those promises let alone digest any of his "the heaping helping of humble pie"...you say"...First miss-step or even one bit of attitude, and he's gonzo. No slack..."...ya this'll work like the idea if anyone ever got outta line with the youngsters on the ice last year... Smac'll be there to thug it up for them! that didn't work out so well...Smac's not even going to be back from what i hear...so ...is "doing the responsible thing " involving gawd forbid " a call he has to make" ?

...again in my humble and adamant opinion the only phone call our GM needs to make is the one that tells this last malcontent that the cheque's in the mail...b-bye out!

#73 smiliegirl15
June 21 2011, 08:36AM

Everyone deserves a second chance, even Souray. One thing we need on this team is defence and if Souray can provide some of that, then by all means. I'm sure he's learned his lesson and things have changed in the locker room. I think he could provide some veteran experience this team needs.

#74 VMR
June 21 2011, 08:55AM

Does nobody remember the Rangers scouts saying that Souray's skating wasnt acceptable at the AHL level? That nobody in the league was willing to pick him up for half price on recall waivers?

It's a long off season and I guess we need to find something to talk about but "Sheldon Souray" and "NHL caliber defenceman" do not belong together in the same sentence unless they are seperated by a "is no longer a".

#75 justDOit
June 21 2011, 09:42AM

This idea is crazier than screwing up 'the plan' with bringing back Smyth.

How are Souray's - uh, 'talents', going to help this club? Being pylon #1 does us no good. Give that spot to Petry or someone who's going to be here 2 years from now. Their experience now will help us, when we need it.

There's no way that we're going from 30th last year and into the playoffs next year with or without Sour-Aaaaay, so why waste the spot?

Shellie should hope that he gets to keep his AHL job for another year. He'll make more money, and it'll give him something to do.

Man! I can't wait for the draft to be over, then all these stupid rumours will die down.

#76 Brodie
June 21 2011, 10:43AM

When you're 30 something and still sporting the backward cap look you have maturity issues. Leave Souray where he is.

#77 FastOil
June 21 2011, 11:14AM

From management experience, once a person crosses the line Souray did, there is absolutely no way to trust him not griping behind closed doors to the young guys.

He wouldn't do it in public or around the team, but he will be hanging out with the guys, going to bars etc..

That kind of poison does a lot of damage and can ruin other's attitudes, I've seen it enough to know.

Far too risky. He also can't fight anymore and I've read his shot is dimished both because of the hand issues, so he is not the guy who was here before anyway.

Deal or buyout, time to move on. There are plenty of bottom pairing D to get, just get the right ones this time please.

#78 kgo
June 21 2011, 12:06PM

I've been waiting patiently to see a Huge, Mean, Hard shooting Dman, with suspect skating, earn a spot on this roster.....Plante, not Sourray

#79 kgo
June 21 2011, 12:06PM

#80 rindog
June 21 2011, 12:18PM
Ender wrote:

Robin! Really? Bring him back? What part of the whole idea excites you more - the new $5.4M cap hit we'll be taking on, or the fact that we'll be able to play the guy who was the fourth-best defenceman (maybe the fifth?) for the Hershey Bears last season?

We have prospects in OKC that outplayed Souray last year. They would play for a fraction of the price and have every bit as much motivation to perform as Souray does if not more. They come without any baggage. Why is Souray an upgrade on ANY of them? You yourself just reminded us of the fact that not a single other team in the NHL would play him on their team, even costing only $2.25M a season. They're all wrong? He's suddenly due for a resurgence that none of them see?

Souray is D-O-N-E. That's a fact, and he put an exclamation point on it last season. Just for fun, though, let's pretend he wasn't. Let's imagine, for a moment, that Tambi and Shelly decided to pretend to kiss and make up. And let's further suppose that halfway through the season, Shelly mouths off again. Not publically, of course, because even a guy like Shelly can learn after being stung hard enough. But to the guys in the room. "This sucks . . . that isn't right . . . you guys shouldn't be treated this way . . . why do you just take this crap . . ." In the first place, how long is it going to take before Oilers management even becomes aware of what he's saying and who he's saying it to? And in the second place, what are they going to do when they find out? Have another big public falling out? 'Cuz it's twice as nice when you do it again, right? Here's a fun trivia question: who stands to lose more in the second split - Shelly or the Oilers?

Sometimes, after people get divorced, they end up thrust into a situation where they're stuck back in the same room for a night, and they're lonely, and they start thinking that maybe everything that happened before can just be erased if they wish hard enough.

Show of hands, ON: How many of you are divorced? Some of you? OK . . . follow-up question: How many of you have remarried your ex? Not as many?

This is a bad idea on many levels. We have one more year to keep whats-his-face buried in the minors before no one ever has to talk about him again. He's not helping us from down there, but he's certainly not hurting us either. I, for one, would like to keep it that way.

Only problem with your logic is that the Oilers and Souray are not divorced; they are seperated.

Ask the question as to how many people have seperated from their spouse and then reconciled and made it work.

I think your answer will be drastically different...

#81 VMR
June 21 2011, 01:19PM
rindog wrote:

I think your answer will be drastically different...

Did you miss the 3/4 of the post before he started talking about divorce that stated why Souray is done as a hockey player?

I especially loved his point that Souray was the 4th or 5th best defenceman on the Hershey Bears. If we want a poor skating physical d-man bring up Plante or bring back Strudwick.

#82 Dennis
June 21 2011, 01:24PM

it took robin long enough to change his mind and come to the right conclusion on this matter but at least he got there:)

I think the biggest reason why Souray was farmed is because of how much truth there was in his rant.

He should have been brought back last year when a Day One apology was all that was needed to shove this under the rug. There were so many other things to keep the notebooks filled - ie the kids - that he wouldn't have gotten a whole lot of attention.

Anyway, that's over with now so, yeah, we're drowning on the backend so let's bring him back. He was Never worth what he was signed for - though you wouldn't find that in the papers - but he's better than what we have and he's somewhat of a sunk cost whether you waive or farm him.

So bring back Souray, give up a 3rd for Smyth and try and package Gagner plus Smid for Carter. And, yes, if you think Larsson or Hamilton's the real deal then deal off next year's 1st for another top pick this year and finish your stockpile and stop hiding behind the rebuild.

#83 rindog
June 21 2011, 01:56PM
VMR wrote:

Didn't miss any of the post...read it all.

If Souray is done - then fine; don't bring him back.

Just not comfortable with the 2nd half of the post as a viable reason to NOT bring him back.

#84 spOilers
June 21 2011, 02:53PM

I have heard from a very reliable source, that Souray will be bought out very soon.

#85 pelhem grenville
June 21 2011, 02:58PM
spOilers wrote:

...thanks tips

#86 pelhem grenville
June 21 2011, 03:10PM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

...everyone gets a second chance except Sheldon Souray... smiliegirl onefive...that boat has sailed...the train's left the station...this whole matter is so very over...the reason being? ... in all of pro sports there is one thing and one thing only that is sacred ...it's called loyalty and when this idiot ran his mouth about this team, his family, his brothers, he committed THE mortal sin of pro sports...you can't just apply some soft and fuzzy logic to this betrayal of the highest sort! Second chances are for much lesser crimes within the brotherhood of pro sports...like using swears.

i'd be very surprised if we ever saw 'the player',as our GM refers to him now, play again in the NHL...

#87 hamzinoilcntry
June 21 2011, 03:16PM

Give Souray a second chance to prove he is still an NHL calibre defenseman. What's the worst that can happen? The oil finish in last place?...........

#88 Quicksilver ballet
June 21 2011, 03:30PM

Little known Souray fact......

Sheldon can do the Micheal Jackson Moonwalk in skates. There's no way we can finish last with skilz like that.

#89 Quicksilver ballet
June 21 2011, 03:31PM

Oops......and give peace a chance!

#90 pelhem grenville
June 21 2011, 03:49PM

peace be with you Q... 44's such an idiot he'd hurt himself doing the moonwalk...you like him to come back yes? for some of the same lame reasons as our fellow Nation citizenry?... or are you going down that tried and true path of 'unrealistic' 'never gonna happen''parting ways' mind bender...say, if he said he'd be good and come back...would you want him to wear your Q makeup' during his public fellating of our GM...?

@hamzinoilcntry...the worst thing that can happen is...the nightmare that is him EVER coming back

#91 Quicksilver ballet
June 21 2011, 04:02PM

@pelhem grenville

Personally i don't care much for Souray, we've seen what he has to offer during that fateful 2009-2010 season. I just don't feel there was any benifit to the Edmonton Oilers to get involved in a public situation like this. Edmonton has enough of its own challenges without adding another self induced one. Just feel it sends a poor message league wide that this team may not be there to support you 100% when a speedbump like this comes along. We'll be fine without Souray, but how the Oilers responded to him may have done irreversible harm.

#92 pelhem grenville
June 21 2011, 04:24PM

yes...there are huge costs all around connected to loyalty...it's lose lose sitch...ugly at best, but i'm not convinced that this was ever our GM "standing his ground" as i've read recently...i'm of the opinion that it was Kevin who actually did all the freaking out and he's the one that actually pulled the trigger, with DK's blessing, to bury Souray in the AHL abyss...it's Kevin who was most insulted by what 'the player' went with so publicly...remember Q, our GM was never " AnOiler", a bleeding copper&blue Oiler like Kevin so he's doing the bidding of Kevin Lowe who i'm sure wanted to rip 'the players'' nuts off when he did his damage.

the franchise will survive without him, it just takes time...and the willingness of most to accept the fact that he's just a memory after he gets his money and goes away...

#93 Mitch
June 22 2011, 09:17AM

@Brownlee

Yesterday at Tambi's presser he made it clear that they need many elite players. So correct me if I'm wrong we are going to continue to build through the draft because this is the most effective way in Edmonton to acquire these sorts of players. Trades yes they are completely possible, but unlikely because there is so many good young prospects and they don't know thier potential and there willing to let them learn the game in OKC or junior/college and he wants the prospects to force them to trade the roster player. Ryan Smyth will become a Oiler once again, Sheldon can go to hell. I want Steve to follow through with his plans of developing through the draft build this team of young guys that will grow together, most importantly feel like brothers. As the saying goes blood is thicker than water.

#94 dean
June 22 2011, 05:44PM

I also agree if they can deal with their issues, behind the scenes and let by gones be by gones I'd take a step back and seriously consider it. Souray has always been a a tough guy to lay against even though his skills are dimishing. I'm sure his shot for the point would be a key in our powerplay and with himout there it will free up the guys like Hall and Eberle down low on the pp. He seems like he has always backed up his team mates and stood up for them at all times. I'm sure our goalies appreciate him cleaning the front of the crease when guys are standing in front of them. I've seen Gilbert eat multiple shots to the face with a grin on his face the whole time and not being able to retaliate because he's scared. The guy plays on the edge even though he may be slowing down. If he wants a 2nd chance why not at least look into it? I can't see him being a burden to the kids as he's always been a team player throughout his career...

#95 Brazeau
June 27 2011, 01:27PM

@Kevin

Let the brother play. He is a professional, and the humilation of a demotion is hardly motivation to improve his game. He deserves the chance-- no matter what he said. It was hard to watch our team demoralized last year. One of the best players in my view was Jim Vandermeer-- he is tough, no nonsense... his love of the game is evident in the grit he shows on every shift. Souray has similar qualities, and gives cred and solidity to the blue line. I dont know why we ever traded Jason Smith, or Matt Green. These guys are what defence is made of. To have a player like Sheldon on the sidelines because of an attitude problem is acceptable only for so long. The real question isnt so much if he has done penance enough for management, but for himself. If be does what we all know he is capable of, nothing will stand in his way.