This Just In: McKenzie's List

Lowetide
June 20 2011 06:55PM

We have breaking news! Bob McKenzie's top 30--the most accurate list on planet earth--is out.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins was named the top prospect by all but one of the scouts Bob McKenzie spoke to before putting his final list together. Gabriel Landeskog got one vote.

The list is here. Picks 1, 19 and 31 on his list are Nugent-Hopkins, Mark McNeill and Vladislav Namestnikov. All centers. Unlikely, but it does show this draft is all over the place and there appears to be quality deep into round two. It feels just like 2002, the season Edmonton blew their mid-first (Niinimaki) but walked out of the second round with Jarret Stoll, Matt Greene and Jeff Deslauriers.

Elsewhere, our friend Kirk Luedeke posted today that Steve Tambellini is listening to offers for number one; Jason Gregor discussed it earlier this month and gave a guideline about the asking price.

It's the beginning of Fun Week for draft fans. Hang on.

Big Bang Theory

Here are the NHL equivalencies for the first round picks:

Forwards

5. Adam Larsson 2-14-16
    6. Duncan Siemens 2-13-15
    7. Connor Murphy 5-4-9
    8. Oscar Klefbom 3-3-6
    9. Jonas Brodin 0-6-6
    10. Jamie Oleksiak 1-4-5

McKenzie said that after the top 10 the draft is wide open. Get ready for a wild Friday night and Saturday all day.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 NamelessNed
June 20 2011, 06:57PM

OMG I can't wait for the draft to be over so we can over analyze ST and Lowe's decisions!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeee good stuff...looking forward to it

#2 jim
June 20 2011, 07:47PM

LT, bob mac said the top 9 is virtually set and not wide open at all.

#4 Sox and Oil
June 20 2011, 07:51PM

If Big Mac gets the top ten right does he win the jersey?

#5 Biowolf
June 20 2011, 07:52PM

The big problem is (are)RNH´s knees. If one is bolegged to the extrem he is they are not going to last.

#7 Sox and Oil
June 20 2011, 08:00PM
Lowetide wrote:

lol. Yes.

That would actually be really wicked as long as he wore it.

PS I emailed my list a couple hours ago, so he may have some competition.

#8 Devon
June 20 2011, 08:13PM

So LT if they do go ahead and Pick RNH who is your best guest for number 19 and 31?

#9 Archaeologuy
June 20 2011, 08:13PM

My call is that Larsson will fall below #4. Not because hes bad, but only because someone gets goofy and takes Landeskog at 2 and the other clubs are too keen on the guy they thought they would get in the first place.

Book it.*

*Dont Book it.

#11 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 20 2011, 08:19PM

Put me down for Hopkins and Couturier in those first 31 selections.

#12 Pisani's Irish Cousin
June 20 2011, 08:20PM

I bet if Brodin is left when Detroit drafts that they'll take him. I'm not as optimistic that he'll go as high as 10, but maybe he deserves that kind of consideration. Leaf's take J.T. Miller with one of their picks (my best guess) if he's there.

#13 Pisani's Irish Cousin
June 20 2011, 08:22PM

I've got Joe Morrow at 19. There are other guys I like here too but this would be great pick.

#14 Oilcruzer
June 20 2011, 08:33PM

Grimaldi? Is the new NHL ready?

#15 Wanyes bastard child
June 20 2011, 08:39PM

Penny...Penny...Penny...

#16 DSF
June 20 2011, 08:41PM
Lowetide wrote:

I think it'll go RNH, McNeill, Musil.

Musil won't get past Vancouver at 29.

There is word out here, however, that Hodgson and the 29th pick are in play for Vancouver to move up.

#17 michael
June 20 2011, 08:52PM

RNH and McNeil and Musil. I'll take that along with a side of Smyth and Souray.

#18 Oilfan00
June 20 2011, 08:53PM
Biowolf wrote:

What?????

Also if the Oilers walk away with RNH, McNeil and Musil from their first 3 picks tat is a huge win. I doubt McNeil will be there though I have a feeling Calgary will take him. And I hope Musil is there at 31 wasn't he rated in the top 10 before he got hurt?

#1RNH, #19Morrow and #31Musil or Jurco.

#19 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 20 2011, 09:03PM
DSF wrote:

Musil won't get past Vancouver at 29.

So you are saying that the Oil wont be able to grab McNeil at 19 because the Canucks are going to grab him at 29?

Sounds about as well thought out as your "Wellwood wasn't feed primo PP minutes", comment.

#20 Pisani's Irish Cousin
June 20 2011, 09:06PM

13. Calgary Flames

Duncan Siemens - I think they want Mark McNeill (I believe he may already be gone) but they'll take a new Dion Phanuff. Calgary will almost for sure take a WHL kid unless there is a top end talent still available.

(as posted at http://puckpassionate.blogspot.com/ )

#21 spOILer
June 20 2011, 09:11PM

So you are saying that the Oil wont be able to grab him at 19 because the Canucks are going to grab him at 29?

It would be tough to take both McNeill and Musil at 19. League frowns on that sort of thing.

#22 spOILer
June 20 2011, 09:14PM

I'm happy to see Brodin make the top 10. Nice to get a little validation for placing him top 10 in my list. I don't think he'll go there but I do think he's a top 10 talent.

#23 Oilfan00
June 20 2011, 09:16PM
Pisani's Irish Cousin wrote:

13. Calgary Flames

(as posted at http://puckpassionate.blogspot.com/ )

This is true I think Siemens and McNeil are both guys who could really go anywhere though, alot of teams are high on McNeil and could get snagged before the position he is ranked at and same for Siemens..however they both could drop and it wouldn't surprise me either, a few mock drafts have Siemens available at 19 which I don't see happening.

Lowetide What about Armia or Biggs at 19 do you think one will be there? Armia is a little risky but at 19 might be worth the risk as a skilled RW with size...thinking him and Paajarvi as future second line wingers would be scary, or Biggs as that Lucic type who can play top 6 but brings that physical force, I would like Morrow at 19 but I am starting to sway towards one of these RW and taking a D at 31.

#24 esa tikkanen
June 20 2011, 09:32PM

Where was musil ranked? I can't finsd him$

#25 DSF
June 20 2011, 09:42PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Sure the Oilers could grab him at 19th.

But they won't.

I was responding to LT's post that the Oilers might snag him at 31.

But they won't.

And Wellwood wasn't fed primo PP minutes but Gagner was.

How did that turn out? Need to see the "math"?

Think before you post buddy.

#27 Bucknuck
June 20 2011, 09:43PM

I like morrow at #19... or siemens if he is still there.

#28 Small town dreams
June 20 2011, 09:56PM

LT can you tell me why no one is wanting Landiskog to join the club. Is it because he's a winger not a center? If that's the only reason should he not be in our sights. Everything I hear on the team 1260 makes me think he would be a great addition. What's your thoughts?

#29 SLURVE
June 20 2011, 10:03PM

I hope Tambellini makes a deal for the 5th pick of Islanders or lower with Columbus 8th pick. Offer Hemsky and or Deslaurier since we have Bunz and Roy plus 19th pick. Islanders maybe looking for a young netminder. Columbus may want instant help with Hemsky or Gagner. This is in hope to get our second pick in Larsson (5th) or Murphy at 8th. If not, the 19th pick will still come in handy.

I do not want Calgary getting McNeil. He is a tough sob who can drop the gloves and comes with an offensive ability. Imagine McNeil checking RNH and Hall. Yikes.

If the 19th pick is in play, I prefer Oilers take two centers with RNH and McNeil (if he lasts that long) or Boone Jenner C; if not, a D-man in Oleksiak or Klefbom.

However it turns out, it will be a fun and crazy time at Draft day.

#30 Dog Train
June 20 2011, 10:05PM

I just want the real deal to finally happen. It seems like forever that we've known we'd pick first. It should be an interesting draft after the first 9 picks are made.

#31 Team Hoppy
June 20 2011, 10:07PM
Small town dreams wrote:

My thoughts are that Landeskog will make a great 2nd liner someday. That's why we won't take him.

#33 Rogue
June 20 2011, 10:09PM

RNH, McNeill or Armia, Musil will make me happy :-)

#35 Team Hall
June 20 2011, 10:10PM

Thinking about Calgary taking Port Mcneill at 14th makes me shudder. We'd better take Oleksiak at 19th to counterbalance the toughness factor of that move.

#36 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 20 2011, 10:19PM
DSF wrote:

Sure the Oilers could grab him at 19th.

But they won't.

I was responding to LT's post that the Oilers might snag him at 31.

But they won't.

And Wellwood wasn't fed primo PP minutes but Gagner was.

How did that turn out? Need to see the "math"?

Think before you post buddy.

Nice, edit your post after the fact.

I've seen the math, you either had no clue or purposely tried to mislead people by posting non-sense. (ie claiming Wellwood didn't get big PP minutes). Either way a nice continuation of your trolling ways.

#37 Ducey
June 20 2011, 10:30PM

Luedeke in that same story is saying Carter to CLB is done and will be announced later in the week.

I guess the Hemsky/ Howson rumours can stop.

#38 Fresh Mess
June 20 2011, 10:34PM

#1-RNH #19- I really like Klefbom...and not just because his name rhymes with F-bomb.

I also like Musil at #31

#39 SuntanOil
June 20 2011, 10:34PM

I still like Klefbom at 19 but if McNeil was available would choose him over the young Swede (I just don't think he gets past Calgary). I would personally be ecstatic with the Oilers picking up Namestnikov at 31 provided we took a D at 19.

RNH, Klefbom, Namestikov | RNH, McNeil, Musil

Either of those would be a great day IMHO, even before MBS works his magic on the rest of the draft.

I am also interested in who the Flames draft so I can start hating them right away ;)

#40 DSF
June 20 2011, 10:47PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Nice, edit your post after the fact.

Jeebus, I guess you do need to see the math.

Wellwood: PPTOI/G 00.24 Gagner: PPTOI/G 02.56

Willis has recently some some nice work on how far the Oilers are from being an NHL team.

Here are some eye popping PP numbers:

PPPTS/60

Daniel Sedin: 8.08 Henrik Sedin: 7.04 Mikhael,Samuelsson: 6.26 Ryan Kesler: 5.91 Shawn Horcoff: 4.99 Michael Ryder:4.74 Milan Lucic: 3.96 Mason Raymond: 3.77 Mark Recchi: 3.77 Rich Peverley: 2.72 Patrice Bergeron: 2.61 Sam Gagner: 2.51 David Krejci: 2.26

#41 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 20 2011, 11:08PM
DSF wrote:

Jeebus, I guess you do need to see the math.

Wellwood: PPTOI/G 00.24 Gagner: PPTOI/G 02.56

Here are some eye popping PP numbers:

PPPTS/60

Another swing and a miss.

Unfortunatly we were talking about the first 4 years of each players career to which you claimed that "Wellwood was not being fed the primo icetime and PP minutes that Gagner has"

Which of course is a flat out lie.

Also funny that you pull out one year of PP production when he's had decent to good numbers in the past

5.74PPP/60 09/10

3.12PPP/60 08/09

3.88PPP/60 07/08

#42 Ribs
June 20 2011, 11:19PM

The Oilers should draft Scott Oke just for the possibility of a super awkward post game interview on CBC.

#43 DSF
June 20 2011, 11:23PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Another swing and a miss.

Which of course is a flat out lie.

5.74PPP/60 09/10

3.12PPP/60 08/09

3.88PPP/60 07/08

So, what you're saying is Gagner is regressing?

I can get on board with that.

#44 MaestroFreshMess
June 20 2011, 11:32PM

I hear Tambellini has decided on Keegan Lowe at first overall....

#45 Pisani's Irish Cousin
June 20 2011, 11:48PM

Best Options (imo) at 19 are:

Mark McNeill Joel Armia

Mark Scheifele Joe Morrow Oskar Klefbom Jonas Brodin Nicklas Jensen Duncan Siemens Matt Puempel

Probably in that order. Top 2, maybe 3 are almost for sure gone. Who ever is there and first on this list should be taken.

#46 Truth
June 21 2011, 08:50AM

I am worried about Siemens, didn't he play with one of the best WHL defenceman? Leudeke has some great points putting him at 36th on his list.

I hope the Oilers are all over Klefbom at 19, if hes around.

#47 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 21 2011, 09:00AM
DSF wrote:

So, what you're saying is Gagner is regressing?

I can get on board with that.

He is only regressing if he is constantly playing against the same quality of opposition. During the first year the three rookies seemed to be playing against lower quality defense. Even towards the end of the year if I remember right teams were starting to put out a higher quality of D against them. To truly gauge if he is regressing you have to have a fair way to judge quality of D vs quality of Offense and create a scale. SO if you are playing against poor quality D here are the numbers you can expect from this player and if against higher level D this would be equivalent quality of play even though the numbers are lower. Of coarse it is all just numbers and they in no way transfer in to the real world on a consistent basis. Why Confidence, Fear of failure, Chemistry, coaching, Etc Etc etc

#48 nvan97
June 21 2011, 11:58AM
Sox and Oil wrote:

That would actually be really wicked as long as he wore it.

PS I emailed my list a couple hours ago, so he may have some competition.

What is this contest I'm hearing about? I didn't see anything about it...

#49 Mantastic
June 21 2011, 12:02PM

@SLURVE

why would anyone what the signing rights to JDD? he's a UFA on July

#50 pelhem grenville
June 21 2011, 04:03PM
MaestroFreshMess wrote:

I hear Tambellini has decided on Keegan Lowe at first overall....

...one million props for U maestro LMFAO