Welcome Home, Ryan Smyth!

Lowetide
June 26 2011 10:28AM

Ryan Smyth is an Edmonton Oiler. Details of the deal (Colin Fraser and a distant 7th rd pick in 2012) are unimportant, Ryan Smyth returns!

Steve Tambellini has earned major points for a very good hockey trade. I'm not certain he thinks so, but the evidence is overwhelming. Quality NHL player, mentor, and very likely a reasonable contract next year.

I'm having a beer, and then I'm having another.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#251 Rip van Winkle
June 26 2011, 08:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Islanders of the north wrote:

I just see the Oilers management without a vision. Don't understand why they are not filling holes. You don't win on the front...wake up. Vancouver didn't win the cup because of their collective defense. You need a stud back there (Boston=Chara)(Chicago=Seabrook and Keith). Defense takes years to build and the oilers will not be able to afford their young talent if it is not addressed soon. They are taken the wrong approach and missed the boat in this years draft. This mistake will haunt them.

Madjams doppelgänger?????

Avatar
#252 Dan the Man
June 26 2011, 08:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
FastOil wrote:

Whitney has only played a full season twice in his career.

Neither of us know, but the odds are against him after two major bone reconstruction surgeries - it's just common sense.

The list of trades you provided is a list of mediocre at best players and a bunch of guys yet to make the league, except Whitney and Vis.

If Whitney never gets past his injuries Anaheim pulled Little Stevie's pants down in front of the whole class because Vis had a lot of value.

At the end of the day, after all the guys he decided to get rid of, the team is getting worse, not better and that's the whole story right there.

I mean I guess if you're nitpicking Whitney missed 2 games in 04-05, 5 in 05-06, 1 in 06-07, 5 in 07-08 and 1 in 09-10 so you could say 0 full seasons but not that many guys play all 82 games so I'd consider anything in the high seventies pretty good and Whitney's played 75+ games 5 out of 7 pro seasons.

2004-2005 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS 80

2005-2006 PENGUINS 68

2005-2006 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS 9

2006-2007 PENGUINS 81

2007-2008 PENGUINS 76

2008-2009 PENGUINS 28

2008-2009 DUCKS 20

2009-2010 DUCKS 62

2009-2010 OILERS 19

2010-2011 OILERS 35

Avatar
#253 FastOil
June 26 2011, 09:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
longbottom/P.Biglow wrote:

While I also find it quite convienient to blame Tambellini for alot of what has happened. He was named general Manager of the team in the summer 2008. He took over a team that had spent 10-15 years fighting for 7-10 spot. He had no organizational depth because of this and because of bad drafting as far back as the Sather years. He was stuck with bad contracts from the year after the stanley cup run. Since then I'l list the changes he has made. -Stu MacGregor Named Head scout. -Mike Sillinger brought in to help with player developement. -restarted our own farm team with springfield. -Made Trades to get rid of bad Contracts ie: grebs. -Made the Decision with Katz when all the injuries first started hitting to Blow Up the Team -Made everyone in the organization accountable including players/coaches/regular staff members.

In all I would say in 2and a half years since then there has been some dramtic improvements. Inprovement cannot only be guaged by wins and loses.

I don't know if it's ST's job to hire scouts and build farm teams, I think that is Lowe.

I agree he has made changes and is trying to change the team culture.

He hasn't only replaced bad players and contracts with rookies. He has signed some guys who have been "not good" we'll say that aren't rookies.

That does not show well on him. He either can't judge players or has bad pro scouts, but at the end of the day it's on him.

I doubt he is doing exactly what he wants because KLowe and KAtz would be directing the "plan", so that is likely why there have been no significant deals.

But until we see some, which likely are a year or two away because they apparently think being horrible is the way to be good, there just isn't enough that he has done that has had any positive impact.

That is why so many are hesitant about him. Bottom line is the team has been in free fall, by plan I'd say. It is yet to be determined if he can pull it out of the nose dive and build a contender.

His vet signings make me doubt.

Avatar
#254 Fred Zepp
June 26 2011, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Perfect timing for this deal. Right before free agency Could we possibly lure a couple of players to Edmonton? Memo to Shaun Horcoff give up the C and give it to Ryan. Next year could be very interesting.Welcome home Smytty.

Avatar
#255 FastOil
June 26 2011, 09:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

I mean I guess if you're nitpicking Whitney missed 2 games in 04-05, 5 in 05-06, 1 in 06-07, 5 in 07-08 and 1 in 09-10 so you could say 0 full seasons but not that many guys play all 82 games so I'd consider anything in the high seventies pretty good and Whitney's played 75+ games 5 out of 7 pro seasons.

2004-2005 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS 80

2005-2006 PENGUINS 68

2005-2006 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS 9

2006-2007 PENGUINS 81

2007-2008 PENGUINS 76

2008-2009 PENGUINS 28

2008-2009 DUCKS 20

2009-2010 DUCKS 62

2009-2010 OILERS 19

2010-2011 OILERS 35

By your own info there, since 2008 Whitney has played in 40% of the available games. Out of the last 4 years he made one 62 game season, about 75% is his best.

This does not bode well, as a link to an article in the journal from here or CB (sorry can't find it) said that the biggest predictor of injury is last year. If a player was hurt a lot last year, likely will be this year.

Players don't change much after a few years in the league. They'll get better with experience, but there are no new aspects very often to their games. Maybe some learn to play defense better.

BUt with injuries, once they start they don't often go away. Maybe a guy gets one big one and that's it. If it's been a few then trouble.

I can't think of any examples of a guy being hurt a lot over years and then suddenly going for years with few, can you?

It usually puts a big dent in their career and often signals the beginning of the end, unless you are Sami Salo.

There are enough examples on the Oilers other than Whitney - Horcoff, Hemsky, Khabi, Smids had a few, Jacques.

Equally guys that stay healthy usually continue to - Gilbert, Cogliano, and the ultimate example Lidstrom.

Learning to not get hurt is a huge skill for a long career and I think should be coached as much as possible. I think one of the biggest trends we'll see going forward (now that concussions are on the radar to stay because of Crosby) is guys careers being cut off after 4-5 concussions. They have always got them, but now they'll count all of them not just the major ones.

It is critical to avoid them. I think Hall has already had a few from junior, he needs to be careful or we could lose him way too soon.

I really hope Smytty can teach the rookies to play the boards and not get killed because a lot of them take way too many hits and it will catch up with them.

Avatar
#256 rubbertrout
June 26 2011, 09:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I like soup.

Avatar
#257 longbottom/P.Biglow
June 26 2011, 09:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

While maybe you are right in some sections I will only say that 2 1/2 years isn't long enough to make a total read on the guy. His signings: Foster 40 point guy in Tampa while I feel Foster will have a better year this year. But yes Bad year for him. Fraser bad signing even though he has a cup ring. Jones waiver wire pickup great signing. Belle, Periot(spelling),Girouix, Trembley good depth signings for the farm. I will wait the 5 yr plan out before decideing if he did ok. IMO he is doing OK. I do like the fact he gives nothing away.

Avatar
#258 BarryS
June 26 2011, 09:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@FastOil

Well I suppose it all depends if the Medicos actually fixed Whitney's feet this time. Not sure wny his other teams never got them done, perhaps he was still young and immortal and now older and wiser.

Avatar
#259 B.D.G.
June 26 2011, 09:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Islanders of the north

remember when carolina beat edmonton for the stanley cup... who the f**k they have on defence. Anton Babchuk, Mike Commodore, Bret Hedican, Frantisek Kaberle, Niclas Wallin, Aaron Ward, Glen Wesley and Anton Babchuk being a healthy scratch.

The edmonton oilers are heading in the right direction, and they did pick a defenceman in the first round. 19th overall oscar klefborn, so i dont know what your crying about. there's already good prospects for defenceman in our system and its a rebuild so there is plenty more studs to come bud.

Avatar
#260 JeffG
June 26 2011, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
FastOil wrote:

By your own info there, since 2008 Whitney has played in 40% of the available games. Out of the last 4 years he made one 62 game season, about 75% is his best.

This does not bode well, as a link to an article in the journal from here or CB (sorry can't find it) said that the biggest predictor of injury is last year. If a player was hurt a lot last year, likely will be this year.

Players don't change much after a few years in the league. They'll get better with experience, but there are no new aspects very often to their games. Maybe some learn to play defense better.

BUt with injuries, once they start they don't often go away. Maybe a guy gets one big one and that's it. If it's been a few then trouble.

I can't think of any examples of a guy being hurt a lot over years and then suddenly going for years with few, can you?

It usually puts a big dent in their career and often signals the beginning of the end, unless you are Sami Salo.

There are enough examples on the Oilers other than Whitney - Horcoff, Hemsky, Khabi, Smids had a few, Jacques.

Equally guys that stay healthy usually continue to - Gilbert, Cogliano, and the ultimate example Lidstrom.

Learning to not get hurt is a huge skill for a long career and I think should be coached as much as possible. I think one of the biggest trends we'll see going forward (now that concussions are on the radar to stay because of Crosby) is guys careers being cut off after 4-5 concussions. They have always got them, but now they'll count all of them not just the major ones.

It is critical to avoid them. I think Hall has already had a few from junior, he needs to be careful or we could lose him way too soon.

I really hope Smytty can teach the rookies to play the boards and not get killed because a lot of them take way too many hits and it will catch up with them.

He played 81 games in 2009-2010.

So since your first premise is wrong...no point in reading the rest of your post.

Avatar
#261 Oilogosphere.com
June 26 2011, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Absolutely surreal having Smyth return to Edmonton, just finished looking at the Oilers roster on their website just to have it sink in. It's also hard to believe we rid ourselves of a garbage player in return.

Here is my list, in order, of who I didn't want to see on the Oilers roster for the upcoming season:

Colin Fraser (thank you LA) JF Jacques Kurtis Foster Jason Strudwick

*omitted is Sheldon Souray, no matter what happens with him we aren't seeing him on the roster.

Long live Smytty's Mullet,

Raine Snow

Avatar
#262 VicOilFan
June 26 2011, 09:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ok Smytty kind of fell into Tambo's lap. Lets see if he makes an effort to get a UFA center (Laich) and #3-4 D man (Ian White/ Erhoff).

Then we could see real progress and give a chance for one, two or three of recent forwards drafted and one or two D men to come along. I am as excited by OKCs team for next season as the Oil!!

Avatar
#263 OilCrazy
June 26 2011, 09:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Does anyone know the record for number of posts for one article on OilersNation?

Given this site was created when Smitty left, it would be awesome to have his welcome back article set a new benchmark.

Let's keep the posts going!!!

Avatar
#264 Oilcruzer
June 26 2011, 09:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
ineptflux - Team Trade WanyeGretz For Oodle Noodle Instore Credit wrote:

This was me when this trade was announced earlier:

B====D ~ ~ ~

The end.

Be honest, yer ex released it on twitter anyway, it was more like this...

B=D ~ ~ ~

Avatar
#265 DoubleJ
June 26 2011, 10:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Now if the Oilers could pick up Konopka and Cam Barker I think this team would compete for a playoff spot.

Avatar
#266 longbottom/P.Biglow
June 26 2011, 10:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Agreed its been a nice day for posting.........lol

Avatar
#267 Jodes
June 26 2011, 10:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OilCrazy wrote:

Does anyone know the record for number of posts for one article on OilersNation?

Given this site was created when Smitty left, it would be awesome to have his welcome back article set a new benchmark.

Let's keep the posts going!!!

A couple years ago there was one story that went well over 1200 posts.

How do I know that? I made post #1000..

:P

Oh and how cool was that to see Lowetide's article and the picture of the Buddy Smytty on Global news at 6?

Avatar
#268 Clyde Frog
June 26 2011, 10:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm just loving that Madjam started a second account so that someone would agree with him.

Lol... Even the name screams Madjam! "Islandersofthenorth"

Other notes, it was an easy win trade for Tambo. Love the move!

Fraser is no Cleary. Cleary put up over 115 points in junior one season, we all knew he could score. Just not as an oiler.

Fraser's best point season was 65 in junior, not close to the same level.

Avatar
#269 Oilcruzer
June 26 2011, 10:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
rockmoss wrote:

Great day to be an Oilers fan!! I thought the original trade to NYI was the Oilers lowest moment ever. This makes up for it a bit anyway. I'm hoping that Ryan still has some magic but his blood and guts work ethic is the best thing he brings. Welcome back!

1989 was lower.

But, after the trade, I recall a 94 jersey tied to balloons in Rexall, floating away to the ceiling... Brilliant and it hurt, hard..

Now, even though in the twilight of his career, Ryan got to see that travel opens your eyes, it is not all about the money ( it never was for him, he woulda signed here for less, but if he had to leave, then he had to cash in And go to a contender ), ...

...and you can always go home.

(Can't wipe the smile off my face either.)

Avatar
#270 DSF
June 26 2011, 10:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DoubleJ wrote:

Now if the Oilers could pick up Konopka and Cam Barker I think this team would compete for a playoff spot.

Whcich one of them can play goal and be two top pairing defenseman?

Avatar
#271 Dog Train
June 26 2011, 10:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't know that Tambo would have pursued this had the reports of Smyth wanting to return home been leaked publicly. Once fans got a whiff of this, he pretty much had to make this deal. But really, what do we have to lose? We got rid of a spare part and a pick that even if we do our homework is an absolute long shot at making an impact in the future. This team needs a few mentors and he brings a skill set that could allow him to play in the bottom six or the top 6 depending on how the other wingers are playing. Renney will have ice time as currency this year which he didn't really have much of last season.

Welcome Home Smytty!

Avatar
#272 longbottom/P.Biglow
June 26 2011, 10:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dog Train

Interesting comments and I really do agree with the last part.

Avatar
#273 rockmoss
June 26 2011, 10:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

1989 was lower.

But, after the trade, I recall a 94 jersey tied to balloons in Rexall, floating away to the ceiling... Brilliant and it hurt, hard..

Now, even though in the twilight of his career, Ryan got to see that travel opens your eyes, it is not all about the money ( it never was for him, he woulda signed here for less, but if he had to leave, then he had to cash in And go to a contender ), ...

...and you can always go home.

(Can't wipe the smile off my face either.)

I remember the 1988 trade all too well. I remember everybody thinking there was no way that story was true. That was the day that hockey became just a business in some ways. I still thought we had a decent team though.

After Smyth got traded, I remember thinking that we were going into the stinker and we deserved it for getting rid of him.

The part that really hurt was that a deal was so close to being done.

Lots of smiles today though.

Avatar
#274 TKB2677
June 26 2011, 10:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It has been proven time and time again that a team can get defencemen WAY more easily than front line centers. Look at Boston's top 5. Chara, Seidenberg, Kaberle, Ference, Boychuk. Not one of them was drafted. Look at the canucks. Ehrhoff, Salo, Hamhuis, Ballard, Alberts, Rome. All played a significant role, all from other teams. The Flyers are the same, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Montreal. I could go on and on. Almost all the teams got the majority of their Dman from some other teams.

Centers, not so much.

Avatar
#275 CraveOil
June 26 2011, 10:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Looks like Ryan Smyth's Mullet is back http://twitter.com/#!/SmyttysMullet

Avatar
#276 Stan_the_Caddy
June 26 2011, 10:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

By no means am I a Tambo fan, but anyone who poo-poo's this deal is certifiable. He deserves at least some praise for not giving up anything to make it happen.

Devil's advocate here, but hasn't there been a very different reaction in Edmonton to players requesting a trade for family reasons? I guess this is just the universe trying to balance itself. Between the return of Smytty and the new road uni's, I'm SUPER excited for next season. If Stumblini signs Reasoner and this summer I might take him off my hit list. Either way, no matter. He won't be around at next year's draft anyways.

@Dog Train Interesting take. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you are right about Tambo's original intentions. I'm nearly 99% sure Lombardi was using the media to force Tambo's hand. If that's the case, God bless Deano!

Avatar
#277 Wanyes bastard child
June 26 2011, 10:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
rubbertrout wrote:

I like soup.

I like boobies.

And welcome home Ryan :)

Avatar
#278 Islanders of the North
June 26 2011, 11:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Before you go planning your stanley cup parade in Edmonton you had better address your defense and goal tending.

Drafting is your only option because no decent defensemen want to come to Edmonton. You will have to draft them because you wont get a stud to sign there. It aint going to happen.....

Just stating the facts....Tambo missed the boat this year.

Avatar
#279 @Oilanderp
June 26 2011, 11:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Islanders of the North

Wow, you're incompetent at night too. At least you're consistent.

P.S. Just stating the facts.

Avatar
#280 Bucknuck
June 26 2011, 11:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I was so mad yesterday it wasn't even funny, though Gregors article calmed me down somewhat. I was terrified that Tambo was going to blow the deal somehow. I feel like eating some crow today for overreacting.

I still don't like Tambo much, but I won't tweet any more #FireTambo comments for a little while.

It's not that I think Ryan will cure all that ails the team, it's more that he WANTS to come here and he can help, and it makes me feel really good as a fan. He was my favorite Oiler and now i can say he IS my favourite Oiler. Life is good.

Now I can have him on my XBox team without feeling sick inside.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Great move Oilers! SO pumped for the season to start.

I hope Tambo at least get some credit for this trade. I really don't understand all the hate towards him. Our rebuild officially started last year. Years before that, the plan was to always compete for a playoff spot. Give him time.

Avatar
#282 @Oilanderp
June 26 2011, 11:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

This is message #282.

282 divided by 3 is 94! *cheer*

P.S. Good luck Colin Fraser, thanks for your time here and long may your big jib draw. To the goalie to be selected in the 7th round in 2012 by the LA Kings: way to go man.... way to go.

Avatar
#283 Shapeman
June 27 2011, 12:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TKB2677 wrote:

It has been proven time and time again that a team can get defencemen WAY more easily than front line centers. Look at Boston's top 5. Chara, Seidenberg, Kaberle, Ference, Boychuk. Not one of them was drafted. Look at the canucks. Ehrhoff, Salo, Hamhuis, Ballard, Alberts, Rome. All played a significant role, all from other teams. The Flyers are the same, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Montreal. I could go on and on. Almost all the teams got the majority of their Dman from some other teams.

Centers, not so much.

I think you missed one D-man who played a significant role on Vancouver. Edler I believe was drafted. *By no means am I defending Mr. Islanders of the North* I completely agree with your post, and after RNH started picking up steam and Gregor trotted out the number of defenseman that were traded I took off my Larsson googles. RNH all the way!

Avatar
#284 westy
June 27 2011, 12:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am really happy with the return of Smyth, but I had truly forgotten what a painful interview to listen to he really is. I think he will be great for the team and locker room. I just hope he can buck the recent Oiler trend and stay healthy.

Welcome back oh great mullet!

Avatar
#285 OilCrazy
June 27 2011, 12:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Islanders of the North wrote:

Before you go planning your stanley cup parade in Edmonton you had better address your defense and goal tending.

Drafting is your only option because no decent defensemen want to come to Edmonton. You will have to draft them because you wont get a stud to sign there. It aint going to happen.....

Just stating the facts....Tambo missed the boat this year.

Still feeling blue about the big Canucks cup loss are you? I guess if I was a fan of the NHL's newest member of the 40 year old virgin club, I'd take it out on the fans of another Canadian team that has won 5 cups in the same span.

Go troll on the FlamesNation site if you are looking for a pity party.

Avatar
#286 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
June 27 2011, 07:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
rubbertrout wrote:

I like soup.

you cant like soup until i tell you dammit!

follow along already

Avatar
#287 Oilcruzer
June 27 2011, 07:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Canucks are the 40 year old virgin. Nice... That will get big play here in BC...

Avatar
#288 Dave
June 27 2011, 08:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Might make the difference between making the playoffs and not.

Avatar
#289 BarryS
June 27 2011, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

So does everyone who wanted to trade a third or real player for Smyth now admit they were dumb? Getting something for nothing takes a little longer is all.

Avatar
#290 FastOil
June 27 2011, 10:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
JeffG wrote:

He played 81 games in 2009-2010.

So since your first premise is wrong...no point in reading the rest of your post.

My mistake. By the way, this isn't Philosophy 101. That I separated that year does not by defintion invalidate my point, just the numbers - correcting my mistake, we're up to 62%. I don't think that changes much here.

Please remind yourself and I'll remind Reynolds at CB when Whitney goes down again, and again, of this conversation.

Do you believe each year that this is the one that Hemsky and Horcoff turn the corner on their injury problems? The biggest predictor of injuries is previous injuries - from an article on Cult of Hockey.

The blog has moved so I lost my link. Not that anyone should need someone else to tell them this- it's just common sense.

Do you have a body? What happens when you get a significant injury? Does it get hurt more easily and cause more problems afterwards?

I like Whitney as a player, I like his attitude and his game. I like Hemsky and Horcoff. Yet the Canucks are even smart enough to have only one Salo - the Oilers are working on carrying three.

Avatar
#291 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
June 27 2011, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Some of you are just nothing but negative on ST I really do not get it! He inherits team with squat for a development system. A new owner who has to learn how to "Own a team" There is a learning curve here. He has one of the poorest groups of farm players I have ever seen. He has to replace a coach after only one year. He has a ton of contracts that are ridiculous. Yes he made some of those mistakes. He had a ton of petrified wood on the team that in some cases he turned in to an asset. I really do not understand how he managed to trade some of those players. Since that lousy start in the first year I have seen nothing but improvement and if you are going to throw the "Yeah right last place 2 years in a row is an improvement!" line at me that I suspect you would be willing to trade all our roster straight across for the Flames roster because they almost made the playoffs. If that is true then you have Crazy glued your eyes shut. If that is true than you will be raving in another year or two and telling the Nation "I saw it coming long ago when they drafted Hall." Shut up! Enough all ready Top D men are going to sign here in a year or two WHY!!!! Because because Stu had drafted some unbelievable talent and we are going to be one tough opponent to play against and there will be players who will be just itching to pass the puck to Eberle, Hall, RNH, ETC ETC ...

Avatar
#292 Fastoil
June 27 2011, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!" wrote:

Some of you are just nothing but negative on ST I really do not get it! He inherits team with squat for a development system. A new owner who has to learn how to "Own a team" There is a learning curve here. He has one of the poorest groups of farm players I have ever seen. He has to replace a coach after only one year. He has a ton of contracts that are ridiculous. Yes he made some of those mistakes. He had a ton of petrified wood on the team that in some cases he turned in to an asset. I really do not understand how he managed to trade some of those players. Since that lousy start in the first year I have seen nothing but improvement and if you are going to throw the "Yeah right last place 2 years in a row is an improvement!" line at me that I suspect you would be willing to trade all our roster straight across for the Flames roster because they almost made the playoffs. If that is true then you have Crazy glued your eyes shut. If that is true than you will be raving in another year or two and telling the Nation "I saw it coming long ago when they drafted Hall." Shut up! Enough all ready Top D men are going to sign here in a year or two WHY!!!! Because because Stu had drafted some unbelievable talent and we are going to be one tough opponent to play against and there will be players who will be just itching to pass the puck to Eberle, Hall, RNH, ETC ETC ...

ST did inherit a bad team. The thing is drafting first overall isn't a sign of his ability.

What do you think about the fact he has done nothing to protect these great young players?

Or about the Oilers icing guys that aren't even legit NHL players? It's not that there aren't boatloads of available bottom players.

There is a lot he could do better that is easy and sensible, and it's not getting done. These are the things that concern many of us.

Avatar
#293 seto gooch gooch
June 27 2011, 12:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This is a real good thing for the oil. It always bothered me that the kids didn't have a true mentor. With Smyth back you have a man who bleeds copper and blue, believes skill is only limited without hard work, and gives a city finally something to believe in again.

Avatar
#294 CanaDave
June 27 2011, 12:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I had to post when I saw it'd be #294, can't have too many 94 references this week. :-)

I don't think Smyth is gonna be captain though, since Horcoff is just keeping the C warm for Hall until the time comes he's ready for that to be put on his shoulders as well.

Welcome back Smytty!

Comments are closed for this article.