LIKE A BOSS

Wanye
July 20 2011 03:09PM

You may be shocked to learn this, but since the departure of bingofuel there has been very little in the way of adult supervision around Nation Central Command.  The writers continue to write, the radio continues to radio and thankfully the advertisers continue to pay their bills.

But your ol’ pal Wanye can’t very well be counted on to be “on the ball” or “awake prior to noon.” It just doesn’t work that way. We are far too concerned about Angry Birds RIO HD releasing the next 2 levels or the fact that HMV hasn’t carried any of Gucci Mane’s last three mixtapes to be any sort of help on a regular basis.

And this was starting to be a problem – until the heroic Kent Wilson stepped up to the plate. Under his watchful eye, FlamesNation has grown 16 fold in 16 months and CanucksArmy has been upgraded from “dead” to “very much alive.” TheLeafsNation has seen traction from the start and continues to grow and recently JetsNation had the highest launch of any of the Nation Network sites.

This ain’t your ol’ pal Wanye doing much of much. This is all Kent Wilson being everywhere all at once – and getting it done 24/7.

And getting it done is the name of the game going into this 2011-12 season. There are grand plans for the Nation Network if we can ever get our act together.  GRAND plans indeed. We are in 5 Canadian Cities now and are redeveloping NHLNumbers.com for the second time in the past year. The radio show is going to hopefully grow and we have a secret plan being developed in the most underground part of Laboratory Complex C that will take years to come to light if it is even possible in the first place.

There are many miles to go before we can sell out, mail it in and put the glory years of the network in the rear view mirror as it turns into a forum for the hardcore fans of the Klingon Chess Association.

THE PLAN

Yes, there are still a great many things to be done on the Nation Network business plan.

Currently this plan is merely the word “KILL” written in lipstick on a napkin and stapled to the wall over the computer in Wanye Manor. But with the addition of Kent Wilson as the editor of the Nation Network, we will now have the brain power and chemical engineering needed to turn this napkin into a proper plan and then turn that plan into something being killed.

THE INTERVIEW

To capture the historic rise to power of the Editor of the Nation Network we emailed our new boss a couple of respectfully worded questions.

Wanye: Lay your biography out for those of us who are unfamiliar with your gunslingery please Sir.

Kent: I began writing about the Flames at the start of the 2005 season, mostly as a hobby. I wrote about 1,000 articles between 2005 and 2010 at my home site of fivehole fanatics. I eventually began picking up freelance work as well, including a couple of years at fanball.com providing fantasy analysis as well as Hockey's Future covering the Flames prospects.

In 2009, I was approached by Sports Blog Nation to establish and manage their Flames site, Matchsticks and Gasoline. A year or so down the road, our own irrepressible Wanye managed to convince me to leave the site I had so carefully built for SBN to take over Flamesnation. He plied me with wine, women and psychedelic mind-control agents. He also threatened to decapitate my prize race horse. Offers that couldn't be refused, clearly.

I've been annoying my co-bloggers and angering Flames fans at FN ever since.

I also currently contribute to both Hockey Prospectus.com and The Score blog "Houses of the Hockey", but the Nations is my true home.

Wanye: How does it feel to be in control of the Nation Network after your bloodless coup?

A bit like herding cats. In the dark. And some of the cats don't care for me very much.

Wanye: What are the plans of the new regime?

To grow things rapidly and aggressively. Think Genghis Kahn.  Also, to give the same sort opportunities to aspiring writers that have been afforded me through the Nations. Finally, in the far-flung future, I would like to grasp total power over the company by leading a bloody insurrection over the current ownersh...err wait. You should probably ignore that last one.

There you have it. All Hail the new overlord.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Archaeologuy
July 20 2011, 06:16PM
Ender wrote:

'Grats, Kent. I once harboured thoughts of taking control of the Nations myself. Then I started to go through my list of reasons I'd have to give Wanye to justify my existence and they all seemed to involve actual work somehow. And that was the end of that.

I hope the whole ‘Dictator for Life’ thing works out better for you in reality than it did for me in my head.

You still could. We could split up the empire into East and West. Kent can take Kentstantinople and you can have EndeRome. I dont think anything like that has ever been done before and if it has it probably worked out well for all parties.

*cracks open that history book he paid for in his 1st year of University*

Uh oh...

#2 rubbertrout
July 20 2011, 03:32PM
Justin Azevedo wrote:

Congrats, you magnificent bastard.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Stu MacGregor is the only magnificent bastard around here.

#3 Chris.
July 20 2011, 04:23PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Effective immediately: ALL OILERS FANS ARE BANNED.

Also, thanks everyone.

You mean: Canuck fans.

There. That's better.

#4 Kent Wilson
July 20 2011, 08:49PM

@Bucknuck

Don't worry. If films have taught me anything, it's that with my ever increasing power I will forget my roots and inevitably become a jerk to everyone, not just Oilers fans.

#6 Kent Wilson
July 20 2011, 03:14PM

Effective immediately: ALL OILERS FANS ARE BANNED.

Also, thanks everyone.

#7 Lowetide
July 20 2011, 05:27PM

The Flames-Oilers conversations this summer would have been a lot more fun if Calgary hadn't traded Ales Kotalik for Paul Bunyon.

#8 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
July 20 2011, 03:27PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Effective immediately: ALL OILERS FANS ARE BANNED.

Also, thanks everyone.

Required:

#1 - create a negative props button for this comment only!

#2 - Congrats

#3 - Goilers

#4 - Prepare Tim Erixon Hall Of Fame Article

#9 Wanyes bastard child
July 20 2011, 04:39PM

Does this mean I have to change my name to "Wilsons bastard child" now?

#10 Ender
July 20 2011, 06:07PM

#11 Cam Charron
July 20 2011, 03:21PM

Can we pool the vast number of contributors at the Nations sites (who cover 5 Canadian teams) to collectively cover the one playoff team this spring?

What's your thought on this, Kent?

#12 Oilcruzer
July 20 2011, 03:31PM

Congrats. When did they start educating Flames Fans?

Wanye... who's gonna keep screwing up be in charge of things like posting the nationradio on a timely basis or tweaking the website Gooeey GUI?

#13 Jonathan Willis
July 20 2011, 03:32PM

Does this mean I can look forward to a form of payment other than little Lego men with "OILERZ!" marked on them in felt?

(Not that I don't love those, Wanye.)

Congrats, Kent. You'll do a great job.

#14 Archaeologuy
July 20 2011, 03:47PM

If I've learnt anything from my time in prison* then it's that the new guy has to assert his power and kick the snot out of the toughest guy in the cell block. Brownlee awaits.

*By prison I of course mean the concourse of the Vancouver Airport between domestic arrivals and international departures. I did some serious time in that place, but I gained my GED and learned some hard earned life lessons.

#15 Dan the Man
July 20 2011, 05:23PM

Call a sex line (like a boss)

Cry deeply (like a boss)

Demand a refund (like a boss)

I prefer the Lonely Island version of "like a Boss"

#16 Justin Azevedo
July 20 2011, 03:13PM

Congrats, you magnificent bastard.

#17 mayorpoop
July 20 2011, 03:13PM

congrats to mr wilson!

dear jebus wanye you let a calgarian take charge....ooooh myyyy lord!

*sets hair on fire and runs away screaming mommy*

#18 Cam Davie
July 20 2011, 03:21PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Effective immediately: ALL OILERS FANS ARE BANNED.

Also, thanks everyone.

...

#19 Cam Davie
July 20 2011, 03:24PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Effective immediately: ALL OILERS FANS ARE BANNED.

Also, thanks everyone.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! BAN 'EM ALL!!!!

oh wait. they're the only ones who comment.

Congrats to you, fearless leader. You're keeping things running hot.

#20 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
July 20 2011, 03:43PM

Being Honest... I'm scared sh*tless that someone from southern Alberta and a fan of the Fl*mes is now running the show.

**curles up in fetal position

*** let it be know that July 20th,2011 was the day SHMcSteeley started smoking Meth

#21 Vintage Flame
July 20 2011, 03:55PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Effective immediately: ALL OILERS FANS ARE BANNED.

Also, thanks everyone.

And right off the bat Kent shows why it's good to be King!

Kent in the spirit of all that is Calgary lately, did you get a NMC?

#22 Kent Wilson
July 20 2011, 04:00PM

@Vintage Flame

Didn't need it. No one would accept my contract in a trade anyways.

#23 Love Monkey
July 20 2011, 04:25PM

Habs Nation???

#24 walkinvisible
July 20 2011, 05:36PM

your first order of business: getting a new g**d*** platform for us to converse on. i love kent wilson but seriously guys, this brand of commenting can be improved thousandfold.

ohyeah, and ENORMOUS congrats my friend. nobody deserves it more.

next stop: flames front office.

#25 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
July 20 2011, 06:01PM

Congrats to you Kent

Multiple props would be nice

The Flamers still suck.

...5-7-5, get used to it Kent.

On a brighter note.....

SMYTTY SIGHTING

I was golfing with 2 buds this week, and 2 of us shot 94*

*NO MULLIES, that's cheating

#26 Big Dumb Oilers Fan
July 20 2011, 06:07PM

Smyth leaves: Birth of Oilers Nation.

Smyth comes back: The Nation is now in 5 Canadian cities.

Rad.

#27 Ryan Popilchak
July 20 2011, 03:14PM

Congrats Kent - absolutely fantastic choice to have you run the big ship.

#28 Lowetide
July 20 2011, 03:18PM

Wilson's CorsiRel is going to take a hit but he should he better on the powerplay. Did we sign him before giving him the new position? He doesn't get the big office does he? DOES HE?

#29 bingofuel
July 20 2011, 03:18PM

Right on Kent! CRUSH IT. And remember that Wanye is harmless. I used to placate him with empty bottles of scotch right across the jaw.

#30 Lowetide
July 20 2011, 03:20PM

Also, does this mean he's going to refuse interviews on the Nation Radio show like lots of Nation writers? Does it? DOES IT?

#31 Lowetide
July 20 2011, 03:23PM
Cam Charron wrote:

What's your thought on this, Kent?

lol. I call "Dennis Kearns: HHOF?" article. :-)

#32 rubbertrout
July 20 2011, 03:31PM

Congrats Kent.

Does this mean my comments about Glen X being an overpay by the Flamers are going to be deleted now?

#33 Souby
July 20 2011, 03:41PM
Cam Davie wrote:

YES!!!!!!!!!!! BAN 'EM ALL!!!!

oh wait. they're the only ones who comment.

Congrats to you, fearless leader. You're keeping things running hot.

Yes, we do comment a lot, but I have to say I love the fact that we hockey fans have an outlet where we can read up-to-date articles about our favorite teams, vent and generally annoy one another.

Congrats Kent, keep the great articles coming you guys and most of all... GO OIL!

P.S. If Willis doesn't want those Lego men with OILERZ written on them, I will take them.

#34 Muji 狗
July 20 2011, 03:43PM

Here's an idea. I'd implement it myself - as I'm a web software guy - but I'm far too lazy.

On game days, we all tend to follow games and post comments in the GDB posts in realtime. Hall scores a hat-trick? A Canucks player dives through the ice? A Flames forward suffers a heart attack from old age? We want to talk about it; and the only place to talk about it (on the Nation Network at least) is in the comments of the blog posts (usually the GDB).

This is not elegant.

Yous guys could create a message board forum. But it'd probably suck like the one that rhymes with "Fakish whores". Or maybe a live chat? But those suck too. I don't know. But I want something. Perhaps something that integrates with Twitter since fans are increasingly using that as a platform for game day rants/discussion. I don't know. But I'd use it.

#35 Souby
July 20 2011, 03:45PM
Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement wrote:

**curles up in fetal position

Started? When did you stop?

#36 Kent Wilson
July 20 2011, 03:46PM

@Muji 狗

We're investigating elegant solutions for just this issue as we speak...err, type.

#37 rubbertrout
July 20 2011, 03:48PM

@Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement

How is the Smytty mullet coming?

#38 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
July 20 2011, 03:59PM
rubbertrout wrote:

How is the Smytty mullet coming?

Going to get its first shaping on Friday, have a work trip coming up and I need to find a way to make it look respectable without sacrificing any length from the back.

#79daysuntilopeningnight

#79mulletgrowingdays

#39 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
July 20 2011, 04:01PM
Souby wrote:

Started? When did you stop?

July 18th, 2011..... BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!

#flamessuck

#southernalbertaingeneralistaintedgoods

#40 Justin Azevedo
July 20 2011, 04:02PM
rubbertrout wrote:

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Stu MacGregor is the only magnificent bastard around here.

Pfft, I don't take guff from Oilers fans who work in the same office as mike_H.

#41 John Chambers
July 20 2011, 04:03PM

You guys are responsible for NHLnumbers? Someone want to explain me why my realtor is slated to earn more than Karl Alzner in '12-'13?

#42 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
July 20 2011, 04:04PM

so how long before sh*t really hits the fan in this comment section? Flames fans and Oilers fans commenting on the same article = fight to the death.

#43 Mantastic
July 20 2011, 04:06PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

a twitter one would be awesome. very ahead of the curve compared to other sites.

how about a mobile site for the nations as well?

#44 rubbertrout
July 20 2011, 04:06PM

@Justin Azevedo

Will I be getting that bag of flaming dog poop previously threatened?

#45 Justin Azevedo
July 20 2011, 04:07PM
rubbertrout wrote:

Will I be getting that bag of flaming dog poop previously threatened?

#46 Pizzy
July 20 2011, 04:09PM

Wow! Have been waiting to read an article all day and this is what you write! What a pointless article!

#47 Quicksilver ballet
July 20 2011, 04:10PM

I'm not saying, but i'm just going to say.

~Red is the color of infection, we don't need no good fer nuffin Flames fan shutting down the liquor meters on a moments notice. Impeach Wilson and atleast appoint an overlord from Red Deer.~

#48 rubbertrout
July 20 2011, 04:11PM
Justin Azevedo wrote:

Sweet. Retribution will be swift and severe.

#49 mayorpoop
July 20 2011, 04:28PM
Chris. wrote:

You mean: Canuck fans.

There. That's better.

agreed, although aren't there only about 10 real canuck fans out there. the other thousands we shall see and hear (so so unfortunate) around late spring early summer.

by the way: everything not oilers...SUCKS!

#50 mslepp
July 20 2011, 04:47PM

This is a well-deserved promotion. Kent, I only discovered your writing at the beginning of the year and I've been thoroughly impressed. It's nice to read objective and intellectual thoughts on the Flames (that is very rare in the world of Calgary media).

Congratulations.