MORE CHANGES COMING

Jason Gregor
July 29 2011 02:08PM

The media landscape across the country has seen lots of movement that past few weeks, and there will be some in Edmonton on the TEAM 1260 this fall.

Today was the last day for Oilers Lunch on the TEAM 1260, but The TEAM 1260 will continue to be hockey-based during the 12-2 p.m. slot. It will focus mainly on the NHL, both on and off the ice, but  you will hear two different areas of focus for each hour.

Starting in September TEAM 1260 will run Inside Hockey from 12- 1p.m. "We are using the line, 'Biggest names in hockey. Period.' That kind of sums it up. If it happens in the NHL you'll hear the details every day at noon," said TEAM 1260 brand director Ross Macleod.

The Mark Spector Show will follow  from 1-2 p.m. Spector started writing for the Edmonton Journal in May of 1987. He's an avid sports fan, a diehard Cubs fan, he even has CUBSWIN as his licence plate, and he is one of the main columnists for Sportsnet.ca

"When you get your first job in this business, back in 1987 at the Edmonton Journal for me, you just hope to hang around long enough to accrue a few memories. Then you get a few Stanley Cups, a few Olympics, some World Series' and Grey Cups in the rearview mirror, and you're hooked," said Spector.

"It's been nearly 25 years now for me in print, on the net, and most recently on Sportsnet and Jason Gregor's show. I've got a dresser drawer overflowing with press passes, and I can't think of a better place to bring together all that experience, all those contacts and all the tales that come with a quarter century in the business, than on the Team 1260 with The Mark Spector Show.

"This is going to be a blast."

Spector will bring a fun, no nonsense approach and he's connected.

"Being able to bring a guy like Mark Spector on board is huge. I've admired Mark's work for year. He tells it like it, has a good sense of humour and having him as part of our team will only make us better," said Macleod

Macleod has a few other plans for the station, but wasn't prepared to outline all of them, but he's confident sports fans, and specifically hockey fans will like the changes. You can expect more appearances from Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie, Elliott Friedman and many more of the most connected guys in hockey.

"I think this is the best, and most diverse, line-up the TEAM 1260 has ever had. I'm really proud of what we've been able to accomplish, and I can't wait for September. I think the listeners will really enjoy the guests we have lined up from across the country to enhance our new shows."

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 RossCreekNation
July 29 2011, 09:40PM
Ender wrote:

I can listen to Jim Rome in 5 to 10 minute doses. If there was a Jim Rome clip on Youtube that someone said was hilarious, I might give it a nibble . . . because I'd know it was going to be the 5 minutes of meat and not the 55 minutes of bun.

I'm a content guy. Call it a quick learner, call it attention deficit disorder, whatever . . . you say something once, I get it. You say it twice, I understand you're passionate on it. You say it three times (or twelve) without going on to something else, I call moron and move on.

Jim Rome can be funny. Now if only he'd stop spreading 30 minutes worth of material over three hours, he'd have something.

Fair enough. I used to listen to 2-3 hours a day at work a few years back, but not as religiously anymore. When 1260 cut the 3rd hour, I was a bit disappointed. But 3 hours is a long time to alienate a certain segment of listeners. I still like to hear a good hour or so if I have the chance, but I rarely find myself changing to 960 for the 3rd hour. His show may not be quite as 'fresh' to me anymore, but i still find it pretty entertaining.

Like I said before, I'm a hockey guy, so as much as I like Rome, I'd still generally prefer the likes of Oilers Lunch, InsideHockey/The Mark Spector Show, or HockeyCentral @ Noon on Sportsnet Radio.

#52 @NateInVegas
July 29 2011, 10:06PM

@Ender,

YEEEEEEEAH!

WHAT IS UUUUP??? A tremendous Friday to you...

I am Nate Sans Hate, in Southern Edmonton.

Typically I like say more of ME, and less of you is a good thing. But this is the one day where that doesn't apply.

I am geeked! I am feeling! This is going to be the greatest comment EVER!

So, let me give you the telephone number. Now you're not going to need this because I only take 1 call a week if you're lucky.

It's toll free, all I ask is that you have a take. And it not suck. Because that would be embarrassing.

It is a zero tolerance Friday, so keep it tight and come strong.

1....800...636...86....86...

You can email the show AT, ROME it's spelled R-O-M-E AT HAVE A TAKE DOT COM.

I see you working Ender.

WAR Bombay Sapphire

WAR 5 Hour Energy

WAR Little Red Feather Racing

Late.

#53 Bill
July 29 2011, 11:56PM
I tried it at home wrote:

This works for me, should be interesting to hear Spector when he has his own name on a show, instead of guesting on someone else's. Personally, I think he'll be fine. as for the changes that Macleod wasnt talking about, *ahem* surewouldbecooltohaveJakeDanielsback *ahem*

If Jake Daniels EVER gets back on the airwaves at Team 1260, that will be the last day I listen to that station. I don't know where Jake Daniels belongs, but it's not on sports talk radio.

Hopefully Spector gets better, there are vast stretches of his career where I haven't really appreciated his work. I'll give him a listen for awhile before I judge him as a radio host, though.

Sad to hear Stauffer is going, but it happens. I'll probably listen to him whatever slot he ends up in at CHED at least some of the time.

#54 Ender
July 30 2011, 12:10AM

@@NateInVegas

[chuckle]

Props to you, Nate. That made me laugh.

#55 Trust Chett
July 30 2011, 06:00AM

Wow Stauffer is gone again? Later Team1260.... Just survive long enough until Bell Media comes calling for an acquisition

#56 Freewheeling
July 30 2011, 06:55AM

@Bill

Jake Daniels is doing rock radio in Kelowna.Dustin Nielson filling in for Bob was average at best.Having him do one hour everyday on his own could be very painful to listen too.What this city needs is a fresh approach to hockey talk radio.

#57 Clyde Frog
July 30 2011, 06:58AM

Bring on Corey Graham and Marlow Weldon!

#58 RossCreekNation
July 30 2011, 07:53AM

@Freewheeling

Nielson isn't doing 1 hour on his own tho. He's hosting that hour, but its going to be a guest-heavy show. He's playing the role of James Duthie or Ron MacLean. Rishaug, McKenzie, Dreger, Friedman, Pang, MacLean - these guys will all be regulars on the show. Now as long as this is new content and not just a replay of some of the morning appearances, then Inside Hockey should be good. Having said that, I wasn't a fan of Nielson filling in for Bob on Oilers Lunch (not because I thought he did a particularly bad job, but that for the all-day TEAM listeners, 6 hours of Nielson bacame stale). But I don't expect as much of an issue with him doing an extra hour for this show (although it woulda been nice if Ross MacLeod stepped in for it instead).

And what is this talk of 'a 3rd sports radio show/station on the FM dial' you talk of? Are you talking out of your AAAAAAAAss, or do you know something most of us don't?

#59 gersh
July 30 2011, 10:04AM

@RossCreekNation

6 Hours of Nielsen becomes stale? Try 10 minutes... there's many times where I don't listen to the morning show or turn the station just because of some of the moronic comments he makes. I remember one doozy he coined - "I'd rather own 4 billion copies of Encino Man on VHS than own MLSE" Maybe he's trying to get a laugh, but seriously, who would say something so dumb? Also, both him and Chase have little to no substance when it comes to asking guests questions. The questions they have so cliche and so dull that sometimes I wonder if the guest is thinking to themself, "How did these guys ever get a job in sports talk radio?"

#60 Death Metal Nightmare
July 30 2011, 11:18AM

ill give Spector a chance but as soon as it leaks into ultra-cynicism, being behind on news and beer patio talk - im out.

#61 Abootzky
July 30 2011, 01:25PM
David S wrote:

As long as we don't get more Rome. Man that show sucks. Suuuuuuuuucks!

I know this will be hard for you to fathom David, but there are many people out there who like Jim Rome's show- a lot. In fact across North America I'm sure they greatly outnumber hockey-only nerds who post on websites such as this one or HF Boards.

I would have preferred it if the TEAM had restored Rome's third hour, pushed the 2 new shows back to 1 PM and returned Gregor to his original 3 hour format. That's just me.

#62 BadSeed
July 30 2011, 03:53PM

Good riddance to Bum Stuffer & his Oilers propaganda machine.

#63 Freewheeling
July 30 2011, 04:04PM

@RossCreekNation

First of all are you Ross Macloed? I suspect you might be, if not my apologies. The FM dial is new territory for sport talk radio.There are many options, an untapped market in Edmonton.Nothing is written in stone but as the saying goes expect the unexpected.Hockey talk radio in Edmonton can get somewhat boring after the same topic gets hammered on time and time again.Lets say a fresh approach and a hockey fans outlook to the game might be a welcome change.It is nice to hear the so called experts views on hockey But? Anyway time to go to the lake and sip some ice cold beverages. 10 weeks to the puck drops Cheers

#65 David S
July 30 2011, 11:11PM
Abootzky wrote:

Fair enough. Some people like loud-mouth Americans who repeat things over and over and over aaaaand over. Some like cheezy WKRP-style sound effects. Some people like MLB and NFL and could care less about hockey, Oilers in particular. I can dig that.

But as far as sports go here in Edmonton, Oilers hockey rules. Despite the fact that Bob was a bit* of a mouthpiece for the Oilers, he knows his hockey better than most and brought alot of decent guests to his show that most of us actually cared about.

And Rome still suuuuuuuuuucks!

*a lot

#66 TeamDean
July 30 2011, 11:25PM

All u guys bashing nielson come on give your head a shake. All Stauffer did was replay clips of the morning show for half his time slot anyways. Was the laziest radio around. At least Dusty will have something we already hadn't heard that day. And Spec in the second hour, I may not always agree with him, but at least he has a opinion not bought and payed for by mr. Katze. Looking forward to the new show. Only thing better would have been to bump Rhome instead.

#67 pelhem grenville
July 31 2011, 05:16AM

...best line here...Q sez how Katz radically removed Stauffers' spine...too funny...so true>> JayMohr can be hilarious...and if you want more Rome after noon go to ESPN Radio and there he is for you...OR NOT...for me i wonder where the talks with the TEAM went with Brownlee? i guess nowhere ... woulda been nice Robin but as they say "no cigar"...i wonder if you've quit those yet...skitter scatter MrB...it's gotta be time to do that...

and JasonGregor..."Peons like you bore me"

Really?

#68 pelhem grenville
July 31 2011, 05:20AM
pelhem grenville wrote:

and JasonGregor..."Peons like you bore me"

Really?

...little editing bug scratched the part in my comment above ...led by ...so many Rome haters

Romes' fill in tandem The Sklar Brothers

they are extra funny when they are on replacing Rome...hope that makes it ...jeesh!

#69 Freewheeling
July 31 2011, 08:19AM

@Jason Gregor

Jason has done a fine job.BigD calling Jason arrogant? Are you kidding me .Jason has evolved into a great talk show host.Doing 4 hours is not easy Kudos to your hard work and dedication over the last few years.Hemsky over rated? Who has he had to play with over the last few years?Hemmer and Smytty together spells SUCCESS

#70 OnlyOil
July 31 2011, 09:19AM

I liked Oilers Lunch and Bob Stauffer the best of any show on the team, I listened to that show everyday. As far as the Jason Gregor show goes, I find it to long, cut that show back a hour or two would work for me. I like Brownlee, I make sure to listen when he's on, the two of them have have good "chemistry"

Will have to turn to ched to listen to Bob.

#71 MattL
July 31 2011, 09:36AM

I won't miss the Katz Propaganda Lunch at all.

Bring back the 3rd hour of Rome. Is there a show that's consistently funnier anywhere on the sports radio scene?

Spector is great, glad he's got a show.

#72 Clarkenstein
July 31 2011, 09:54AM

I hope Stauffer does his show @ 3:00 pm. I would rather listen to him obviously than Primeau who is like fingernails on a chalkboard. How the hell does she maintain a job? She must have pictures of Doug Rutherford. What a great lineup CHED would have.. Rutherford, Adler, Stauffer and College Boy!! Oh well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad!

#73 revingev
July 31 2011, 10:26AM

well, I can not stand ched at all. However, I only started listening to the Team because of total sports with Bob. He says stuff i sometimes agree with and sometimes disagree with. But he is well informed,has good insight, and because I am all about Edmonton Oilers conversation Oilers Lunch showing up with the return of Bob, made my day. I had stopped listening as much until that time. Oilers lunch made my day. Nation Radio has been my next greatest fix of oiler related material and have grown to love it. But with it being on sat only i usually listening to the podcasts during the following week either before oilers lunch or just after. Was really hoping Nation Radio could swing to that time slot.

As for me, It is not CHED I will be supporting, but Bob, cause if Bob was not doing Oilers Lunch, chances are....I would not be listening. I like the idea of the replacements with Spector and Nielson, but i dont want NHL and stuff, I want OILERS talk and that isnt being offered. So my alliengence will now have to shift during that time slot and I will have to suck it up and listening to weather updates interupting my oilers lunch every 15 minutes

#74 Abootzky
July 31 2011, 03:51PM

I've always liked Bob Stauffer but even his presence on CHED won't be enough to lure me there except for occasional Oilers broadcasts.

#75 Petridis
August 02 2011, 02:40PM
OnlyOil wrote:

Will have to turn to ched to listen to Bob.

I totally agree to everything here. Good job !! Who is Bob bumping out at Ched?

#76 flyin ryan
August 02 2011, 10:38PM

Well...1st day with out Oilers Lunch, I'm not gonna lie, was a little painful. Hopefully something similar (or the same on another station) shows up eventually. Props to 'The Team' for the 'Pipeline' show & 'Nation Radio', to be fair. Oiler talk is never dull in this market...10 months of hockey & 2 months of bad ice!

#77 Mike Modano's Dog
August 03 2011, 01:20PM

I have to say that I'm not a fan of how these moves are being handled on the radio station.

There is no pre-warning, just like when Bryn and Jake left, if I remember correctly. No chance to ask Bob himself where he will be going and where we can catch him. The feeling I get is "don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out."

It would be nice to give the listeners some advanced warning as fans of the shows, and of the people too. It feels very impersonal to let them leave that way and I think they should be treated with a certain amount of respect that appears to be missing.

#78 FREEWHEELING
August 03 2011, 05:31PM

The 12 oclock show was painful.Having somebody doing a morning show then have him on 2 hours later is not the way to go