Day 51

Lowetide
August 16 2011 06:49PM

The long days and sleepless nights continue for Dean Lombardi. Horribly wronged and forced to see his summer hobbled by evildoers, he waits and waits for justice while Gary Bettman sits by the pool and the Edmonton Oilers dance a jig. When will the madness end? 

The NHL is a funny league, always has been. Whereas most leagues decide on penalties in a clear and timely manner, the NHL goes about things like a 30 man club that makes things up as they go along. Which is, of course, what it is: a group of 30 guys doing whatever the hell they want.

In this specific case, one imagines that the men at the ownership level would/could be involved and the issue resolved, but there's also the very public comments by Mr. Lombardi which makes the story unique. Once Mr. Lombardi spoke to the media, the private club of 30 turned things over to the masses.

OKAY, WHAT NEXT?

Whenever great minds are challenged by big problems, solutions are sure to follow. NHL history does offer us some clues about how this situation might turn out. In the fall of 1971, Oakland's Seals and the Chicago (at the time) Black Hawks became entangled in a tug of war over a goalie named Gerry Desjardins. The Seals cried foul in training camp that fall because Desjardins was injured an unable to play.

NHL head man Clarence Campbell was asked to intervene into the battle by Oakland, but sent it back to the two teams and told them to solive it. And that's what they did:

I think the Oilers have the upper hand in this disconnect. It is completely possible for their doctors to have acted in good faith at the time of the deal and reported Colin Fraser's injury as one that did not require surgery and or long term rehab. It is also possible LA's doctors were correct is diagnosing Fraser's injury as one that required action.

I don't know for certain, but there's a chance we never actually hear one damn thing about this ruling. If Bettman decides (as I've suggested) there's a "no fault" situation then the league and member teams will go about their business. Perhaps Helene (not Helen) Elliott will get a quote from Mr. Lombardi (she appears to be a helluva reporter) in the distant future about the actual solution.

But we shouldn't count on it. Unless there is a penalty, we may never know. Such are the trials of following 30 guys who belong to a club that makes up the rules as they go along.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#1 They're $hittie
August 16 2011, 06:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Lombardi go FIST y%*#($lf!

Avatar
#2 Aendayana
August 16 2011, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can't believe we are talking about this. I WANT REAL HOCKEY!!!

Avatar
#3 Jackie Treehorn
August 16 2011, 07:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

"Helene, not Helen"

Hahahahahaha you reminded me of kids in the hall sketch, "100 Helens Agree"

Avatar
#4 Jackie Treehorn
August 16 2011, 07:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Lombardi looks like a T.V. mob boss. He couldn't cut it for the Martin Scorsesi prime time gigs.

Avatar
#5 Mason Storm
August 16 2011, 07:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't see how the Oilers can possibly be at fault. Lombardi acquired one injured asset, found out and then acquired another injured asset. "Fool me once, jokes on you, fool me twice jokes on me."

Avatar
#6 Jackie Treehorn
August 16 2011, 07:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Is there any reason to think that the Oiler doctors are not competent given the teams recent injury track record and the Brule, Fraser "incident"? Just a thought. Either way it probably doesn't go in the "pros" column for potential free agents considering signing in Edmonton.

Avatar
#7 The Farmer
August 16 2011, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Obviously Lombardi is dissatisfied with the trade no matter the outcome. He was painted into a corner by Smyth, and as such would never be happy with what happened. The whole Fraser/Brule thing just gave him an avenue to vent, as neither player has/had any future with the kings other than a buyout to save cap space, or at best a season in the minors.

Avatar
#8 DSF
August 16 2011, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Good grief

Either the Oilers medical staff is incompetent (lots of evidence) or Tambellini is (lots of evidence there)

There are no other reasonable conclusions.

Avatar
#9 Stack Pad Save
August 16 2011, 08:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Good grief

Either the Oilers medical staff is incompetent (lots of evidence) or Tambellini is (lots of evidence there)

There are no other reasonable conclusions.

What is the evidence?

Avatar
#10 geoilersgist
August 16 2011, 08:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Stack Pad Save

typical of DSF to hate on anything Oilers related... not exactly sure why he is always at this site when he seems to have a lot of hatred built up

Avatar
#11 TigerUnderGlass
August 16 2011, 08:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

Good grief

Either the Oilers medical staff is incompetent (lots of evidence) or Tambellini is (lots of evidence there)

There are no other reasonable conclusions.

I practically despise Tambellini and I wouldn't even go that far. Competent doctors have wildly different diagnoses on a daily basis. Given the time lapse there is every reason to consider the possibility that they made an appropriate diagnosis until evidence is given to the contrary.

Your assertion is based on nothing but a desire to be disagreeable. It's a desire I completely understand, but there have to be limits.

Avatar
#12 Stack Pad Save
August 16 2011, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@geoilersgist

I don't mind calling out management, but you have to be accurate. You can't say you have evidence for a persons incompetence if you can't back up that evidence. DSF is an example of how not to use the internet. DSF is the type of guy at work who moans and complains about everyone with out actually saying anything to their face.

Avatar
#13 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
August 16 2011, 09:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Stack Pad Save wrote:

I don't mind calling out management, but you have to be accurate. You can't say you have evidence for a persons incompetence if you can't back up that evidence. DSF is an example of how not to use the internet. DSF is the type of guy at work who moans and complains about everyone with out actually saying anything to their face.

i find it easier to deal with DSF if you have one of those carnival tunes playing in your mind as you read his posts..

Avatar
#14 Light, Sweet, Crude
August 16 2011, 09:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This is my Lombardi impression: "ATTICA! ATTICA!"

Avatar
#15 DSF
August 16 2011, 09:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oilers medical staff says the player is ready to begin offseason workouts in 4 days.

The Kings' medical staff, the NHLPA medical staff and a freaking surgeon who is bound by the Hippocratic oath decides the best course of treatment for Foster is SURGERY.

Unless you believe Foster did not require surgery, which he very obviously did, Tambellini tried to sell damaged goods based on a faulty medical report.

In either case, Tambellini is culpable and, coming off his stupid attempts to trade Brule who NHL LAWYERS ruled as untradeable, there is only one conclusion.

FFS.

Avatar
#16 Facepalm
August 16 2011, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Oh DSF, you're still the same clueless idiot you were in your HF days.

Avatar
#17 @NateInVegas
August 16 2011, 09:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What if there was already a resolution last week?

Avatar
#18 DSF
August 16 2011, 09:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Facepalm wrote:

Oh DSF, you're still the same clueless idiot you were in your HF days.

I'm very impressed with your in depth knowledge of the issues.

Avatar
#20 Dyckster
August 16 2011, 10:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DSF wrote:

The Oilers medical staff says the player is ready to begin offseason workouts in 4 days.

The Kings' medical staff, the NHLPA medical staff and a freaking surgeon who is bound by the Hippocratic oath decides the best course of treatment for Foster is SURGERY.

Unless you believe Foster did not require surgery, which he very obviously did, Tambellini tried to sell damaged goods based on a faulty medical report.

In either case, Tambellini is culpable and, coming off his stupid attempts to trade Brule who NHL LAWYERS ruled as untradeable, there is only one conclusion.

FFS.

If you're going to babble on in a mindless rant, at least get the subject matter correct. The article is about Fraser not Foster. FFS right back atchya.

Avatar
#21 Wanyes bastard child
August 16 2011, 10:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

i find it easier to deal with DSF if you have one of those carnival tunes playing in your mind as you read his posts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2geZus0gc

;-)

Avatar
#22 derrickhands
August 16 2011, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

The Oilers medical staff says the player is ready to begin offseason workouts in 4 days.

The Kings' medical staff, the NHLPA medical staff and a freaking surgeon who is bound by the Hippocratic oath decides the best course of treatment for Foster is SURGERY.

Unless you believe Foster did not require surgery, which he very obviously did, Tambellini tried to sell damaged goods based on a faulty medical report.

In either case, Tambellini is culpable and, coming off his stupid attempts to trade Brule who NHL LAWYERS ruled as untradeable, there is only one conclusion.

FFS.

The problem with the Brule trade, was his condition hockey relate or not. If it wasn't LA could of bought him out. That's why the NHL lawyers were brought in. He was tradeable but he couldn't be bought out, get your facts straight. Lombardi knew the condition and full medical history of each player. Lombardi has a history of lying and using the media to get his way. You could almost say he's a master at it.

Avatar
#23 Facepalm
August 16 2011, 10:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

I'm very impressed with your in depth knowledge of the issues.

Coming from the guy who thinks it's Kurtis Foster that is the player in question.

Avatar
#24 Supermullet
August 16 2011, 10:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Foster needs surgery? This changes EVERYTHING! Thanks, DSF!

Avatar
#25 Puritania
August 16 2011, 10:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@DSF

If we all agree that you are right, and you are always right, and everything you say is the gospel truth, will you stop talking*?

Seriously....will you stop talking*?

*Yeah I know he's writing, shut up internet!

Avatar
#26 DSF
August 16 2011, 10:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Puritania wrote:

If we all agree that you are right, and you are always right, and everything you say is the gospel truth, will you stop talking*?

Seriously....will you stop talking*?

*Yeah I know he's writing, shut up internet!

If you need me to stop talking so your opinion seems to be right why don't you just go lie down in a dark place and pour yourself a tumbler of scotch.

You will still be wrong but at least you won't have to deal with reality.

Avatar
#27 TigerUnderGlass
August 16 2011, 10:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@DSF

Surgeons ALWAYS decide surgery is the best treatment.

Avatar
#28 Tyler
August 16 2011, 10:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Say what you will about the Oilers' medical staff, I'm astounded that there's a presumption of competence when it comes to Tambellini. Exhibit A: Everything he's done since being hired.

Case closed.

Avatar
#29 I am the Liquor
August 16 2011, 11:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@DSF

I doubt anyone cares what you think anymore.

Youve expended all your credibility long ago.

Avatar
#30 Tyler
August 16 2011, 11:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wait, DSF and I Am The Liquor are enemies now? I thought you guys were all part of the HF breakaway faction, a part of which subsequently broke away from HFBroads. Like the Real IRA or something. There's been ANOTHER splintering?

Avatar
#31 justDOit
August 16 2011, 11:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tyler wrote:

Say what you will about the Oilers' medical staff, I'm astounded that there's a presumption of competence when it comes to Tambellini. Exhibit A: Everything he's done since being hired.

Case closed.

Everything? Really? Well why doesn't Katz hand the reins over to you then?

Avatar
#32 TigerUnderGlass
August 17 2011, 12:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tyler wrote:

Wait, DSF and I Am The Liquor are enemies now? I thought you guys were all part of the HF breakaway faction, a part of which subsequently broke away from HFBroads. Like the Real IRA or something. There's been ANOTHER splintering?

How do you follow it all? I can't keep up.

Avatar
#33 Walter Sobchak
August 17 2011, 04:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

The treatment depends on the severity of the cysts on foot. If the cyst is not painful and does not impede the patient from walking and performing other regular foot activities,(such as hockey) the surgeon may simply ask the person to wear prescription shoes, or at least anti-pressure pads that can be used to line regular shoes.

Aspiration would be the next to be performed. The fluid from the cyst is drained, and a steroid medication is injected into the lump to help reduce inflammation and thwart succeeding refilling.

When other treatment alternatives fall short, surgery may be needed to remove the cyst.

Surgery is almost always avoided first if your an average Joe. However if your a hockey player it's just easier to get it done quick and easy, as the other methods take increased time. before anyone reminds me that Frasier is out 4 months, it also depends on the size severity and infection.

LT was right though, When the Oilers last medical check was completed he could have been healing just fine. two moths later the LA medical staff find out that the cyst is now infected. this is not uncommon at all.

This is not the fault of the Oilers and LA has no foot to stand on....heehee

Avatar
#34 book¡e
August 17 2011, 07:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Surgeons ALWAYS decide surgery is the best treatment.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

Avatar
#35 Dodd
August 17 2011, 08:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I heard that the NHLPA doctors sided with Edmonton? Is this a lie on the internet? But everything on the internet is true....?

Avatar
#36 Shredder
August 17 2011, 09:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This saga is almost as bad and drawn out as Kovalchuk last summer...I know there isn't much going on, but this is like banging my head against the wall.

Avatar
#37 Ned Braden
August 17 2011, 09:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I don't see how this is a Tambi issue. He is not a doctor and does not diagnose the players. There are enough things to critize him about that he is responsible for but I don't think this is one of them.

The Brule issue was a legal issue regarding the CBA and rules of buying out players. Tambi was the one denying the trade and indicating that it was not done because he knew that the league was working on it. When it fell apart they moved on to alter the trade.

We do not know the last time Fraser was examined by the Oilers doctors. I do not believe that they would act in bad faith and lie about his condition but more likely did not know because he had not started off season training yet and the cyst was not a concern on his last exam. He may have been scheduled to see the doctor prior to starting his training. The Oilers doctors could only provide information based on the last time they examined him.

Avatar
#38 Matt Henderson
August 17 2011, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

LOUD NOISES!!

Avatar
#39 Quicksilver ballet
August 17 2011, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

http://youtu.be/Kqj2hkbDnyM

Avatar
#40 Champski
August 17 2011, 11:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jackie Treehorn

My thoughts exactly!

Avatar
#41 jeanshorts
August 17 2011, 03:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

It's pretty clear that Tambo is an evil genius and this is just step one in his plan to eventually cripple every NHL team by trading away borderline NHLers making less than a million dollars, who he says are completely healthy, BUT WHO ARE NOT ACTUALLY COMPLETELY HEALTHY!!!!

Steve you sick SOB! You've done it again!

Avatar
#42 Oilers4ever
August 17 2011, 03:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jackie Treehorn wrote:

Is there any reason to think that the Oiler doctors are not competent given the teams recent injury track record and the Brule, Fraser "incident"? Just a thought. Either way it probably doesn't go in the "pros" column for potential free agents considering signing in Edmonton.

Are you kidding me? I've said this a bazillion times... business law here people... It's all about due diligence.. The Oil did theirs and the Kings could not be bothered to do theirs before approving the trade. Tough luck for them but the deal stands. The Oil did no wrong here. If you are too stupid (all fingers point at Deano here) to do your end before signing off on the trade then suck it up there oh ball-less wonder and deal with what you got. It's the Kings no one is going to want to deal with for fear Deano will cry over everything.. not the Oil.

Avatar
#43 Wax Man Riley
August 17 2011, 04:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Surgeons ALWAYS decide surgery is the best treatment.

HAhahaa!! A truer statement has never been spoken.

Like a credit card company is going to tell you ... "Nope, using a credit card is not the best way to go", or a used car salesman telling you "I know you have lots of money, but you're better off riding a mountain bike"

Avatar
#44 Wax Man Riley
August 17 2011, 05:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DSF wrote:

Good grief

Either the Oilers medical staff is incompetent (lots of evidence) or Tambellini is (lots of evidence there)

There are no other reasonable conclusions.

Or,

Option #3: DSF hates everyone and everything Oilers related

Option #4: DL did not do his due diligence on the trade

Option #5: DL just got schooled by Tambo. If Tambo would have made a deal like this, ST haters would be saying how he is such an idiot and got worked by the other GM

Avatar
#45 Wax Man Riley
August 17 2011, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Regarding this article and the entire debacle, Dean Lombardi has released this statement

Avatar
#46 knobby
August 17 2011, 08:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

In my opinion it doesn't matter which the way it falls. Tambo may have problems with subsequent trades because of the controversy. None of the other GM's care in all likelihood. It will only become an issue when those GM's are dealing with Tambo. He is inept and there seems to be just a little too much messiness when he does deals.

Avatar
#47 Reagan
August 18 2011, 06:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Doctors mis diagnose all the time. For example, I have a knee injury and my doctor and surgeon said its just a torn minescous. Well after the first surgery, the surgeon has to do a freaken close to rebuilding the knee. The ACL, and interior, plus fix a graded femur, bucket handle tear, and cadaver a ligament and post screws in to correct the joint from falling over forwards. The funny part its not really a misdiagnosis yet, before I had an MRI done the doctor orig told me it was a sprained knee. Untill I insisted for them to have a further look. Wow, love that health care system.

Avatar
#48 Clyde Frog
August 18 2011, 06:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Ok Lombardi is just as culpable here.

Also first off, Brule wasn't damaged goods... He is physically fit for his season, they asked the NHL lawyers for a ruling on the state of his mental issues in relation to him being cleared to play and being bought out and it came back unfavourable.

Lombardi asked for a player with a reasonable buyout to increase his cap gains from the trade and Tambellini offered his best available kid for that purpose.

That trade is in no way poorly relfected on Tambellini and due diligince was done BEFORE putting ink on paper.

Fraser was reworked into the deal, regardless of your take on his injuries and the doctors feelings, the SAME due diligence should have been practiced by the purchasing team.

Why wasn't it? We will never really know. If I had to make a guess, it was at that time Lombardi didn't care the slightest about how Fraser performed and just wanted to ensure he had space for Doughty and to make a run at Richards or a few other pieces.

When that all fell through and his return on 30 goals was 5ish and a late rounder, well it started to look like a very poor trade indeed.

All I know is in the NFL/NBA/MLB it is very common for players to be examined BEFORE you finish the deal. Not taking the time to do that and then calling fowl is nothing short of a joke. He had every opportunity to do it and didn't, the only way this is bad on Tambellini is if he put a time limit on acceptance that would have prevented the Kings from doing their due dillingence.

Avatar
#49 OutDoorRink
August 19 2011, 09:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

C'mon folks, you know this is really all about Lombotomy getting the managerial equivalent of a massive wedgie from the Penner deal. He's still trying to pick his undies out of his a$$ and he's MAD!!!

Comments are closed for this article.