Why Worry?

Lowetide
August 19 2011 09:12PM

Word today that Hockey Night In Canada's coverage of Edmonton Oiler games will be lower this season is causing some heartache. One question: Why?

The article I linked to is an interesting item. Yasmin Jaswal writes "the broadcast company will only show 13 of the Edmonton Oilers’ 82 games, the second-lowest number of games of any Canadian team." I'm not certain it's a bad thing. In the last several years, HNIC's quality of coverage has flagged at the same time coverage by Rogers and tsn has improved. The local Sportsnet broadcast is (in my opinion) much improved in the last year or so, and tsn is at this point the industry standard.

CBC's top play by play broadcasters do the eastern games or the Vancouver games; the HNIC broadcasts are focused on the Leafs early game to the point where time overruns impact the western game (Jari Kurri's retirement ceremony didn't hit the airwaves because of the Toronto wrap up a few years ago); the quality of between-period content is lukewarm at best and the CBC is apparently more interested in loud and proud as opposed to informative and entertaining.

I've been watching HNIC games since the late 1960's, and it's with more than a little sadness that I suggest Oiler fans should be pleased that Rogers and tsn have more games.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 kgo
August 20 2011, 12:56PM

my first 2nd fist. gotta pay my dues and work my way up to a true fist.

I would like to fist....no wait....thumb ron Mclean's eyeball's out of his sockets!!

#52 a lg dubl dubl
August 20 2011, 01:30PM

Im just glad we dont have to hear Pete Lobardies(sp?) when the Oil are playin the Flammers when they're on the flames network. Can anybody tell me if Mcguire is still workin for TSN or is he just on versus now?

#53 buttermilk buscuits
August 20 2011, 01:56PM

Theres gotta be some way that CBC can teach Joe Rogan a little hockey so he can be the new Color Commentator in the late games.. Good times would be had.

#54 michael
August 20 2011, 02:28PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I tend to agree with the idea that the quality of CBC broadcasts has gone steeply downhill. I really liked the Hughson (Canuck sympathies aside) / Simpson tandem on the Western game, and the replacements have either been raw (Weekes) or flat-out bad.

That said, passing on Oilers games is a good decision for the CBC, not a poor one - I'd bet heavy money ratings are better for Vancouver games than Edmonton games, and television is all about getting the most possible viewers.

I'd like to see those numbers from CBC. Nuck fans are notoriously fickle. I'd say that CBC does better numbers when the Oilers are on. The universal hatred of the Canucks was apparent throughot thier playoff run right across Canada. I wouldn't say that CBC does better numbers.

#55 Wanyes bastard child
August 20 2011, 03:12PM
michael wrote:

Perhaps everyone was tuning in to watch the canucks lose?

#56 Coco Crisp
August 20 2011, 03:15PM

I Can't stand Jim Hughson, but Saturday's just aren't the same without HNIC. Sportsnet quality is terrible, while TSN panel with Pierre is annoying. They over analyze everything. They had a toke board for too many men numbers for god sake.

#57 Puritania
August 20 2011, 03:26PM
buttermilk buscuits wrote:

Props my brother, props.

#58 jeanshorts
August 20 2011, 03:56PM

@Puritania

War Rogan!

#59 Wanyes bastard child
August 20 2011, 04:12PM
jeanshorts wrote:

War Rogan!

OK.. I gotta ask, what is this "War" thing everyone refers to when describing something?

I honestly don't know eh...

#60 jeanshorts
August 20 2011, 04:23PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

I honestly don't know eh...

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think it came from the Jim Rome show way back in the day. Basically cheering for someone, getting on their war wagon. You see it a bazillion times on MMA message boards. Kind of like their version of fist I guess you could say......

#61 dano
August 20 2011, 04:48PM

I agree that cbc's coverage has declined in quality however the fact that they will be showing fewer games is still a bad thing. More-so for me because I rely on national coverage to see the oil play. More SN games is great but unless tsn or cbc show them then only northern Alberta gets to see the action

#62 oiler/hab
August 20 2011, 06:38PM

@Coco Crisp

I have to disagree with Coco, I think Jim Hughson is the best voice in hockey. Yes, he's a homer but so were all the greats. I tune into HNIC always and even when I don't really care about the teams because of Jimbo

#63 Puritania
August 20 2011, 10:59PM
jeanshorts wrote:

War Rogan!

Joe Rogan is the bomb! The Joe Rogan podcast should be a mandatory listen for every human being on the planet!

#64 Dog Train
August 21 2011, 12:06AM

Have to agree. CBC is behind the curve and really lacks in game atmosphere. TSN is the best right now but Sportsnet is definitely improving.

#65 HardestTaco
August 21 2011, 02:07PM

As an Oilers fan living in Nova Scotia it is sad to hear CBC is gonna be airing less games. I rely on the national networks to get my Copper and Blue fix. Hopefully TSN gets more than last year then so I can watch my team more often. Thankfully Ched has them all covered so I can at least listen to them but I cant stand that Blowhard Bob Staufer. He knows the team really well but he's such a douche-bag.

#66 Butterific
August 21 2011, 06:41PM

TSN won the final battle when Pierre McGuire found new employment with NBC.

The other segment I find that SN really lacks that both TSN and CBC excel at is streaming media. I'm cheap, so I don't have cable. I pay for internet. I use internet. That also means a lot of Fox Southwest productions. I keep waiting to see a strange blue glow appear from my monitor during a Dallas vs. Edmonton game.

At least with TSN I can get a good definition stream of the game on VOD and CBC streams live and really does do a good job there. Sportsnet's overall use of the web and social media are rather behind in compared to the other two.

#67 Oilers4ever
August 21 2011, 07:58PM

Weekes and the other schmuck CBC use for the late games should both be fired... there's a reason the CBC lost the CFL... yes TSN paid more cash... but their presentation also kicked the ass out of the CBC.. hockey is the same.. personally.. I hope one day HNIC is TSN...

#68 smiliegirl15
August 22 2011, 08:52AM

Good point. TSN also has Canada's unofficial national anthem too.