TEEMU HARTIKAINEN: A STEP BACK FOR HARSKI?

Robin Brownlee
August 25 2011 09:19PM

If I was putting together the next edition of the Edmonton Oilers, Teemu Hartikainen would be on the 23-man roster. But I'm not, and I doubt he will be when the 2011-12 season opens, despite what I considered an impressive debut last season.

In that regard, as in starting the year on the Oilers roster, this season could be perceived as something of a step back for the 21-year-old Finnish winger known in the dressing room as Harski.

Despite turning some heads in 12 games with the Oilers last season, a stretch in which he scored 3-2-5 and went minus-3 while averaging 17:25 of ice time a game. when I look at Edmonton's depth chart, I see Hartikainen destined for a ticket to Oklahoma City.

As good a showing as Hartikainen had when summoned to fill one of the holes in a roster riddled by injuries, I was hoping to see more of him this season. I don't see that being the case now unless the injury bug strikes early and often in pre-season.

Where does he fit?

TOO MUCH DEPTH?

It seems laughable, and is, to suggest that a team that finished 30th for a second season in a row has too much depth to take a long look at a big-bodied banger with some skill like Hartikainen.

It's more a case of too many bodies, as opposed to too much proven depth, with the addition of necessary veteran components in Ryan Smyth and Eric Belanger and toughness in Ben Eager and Darcy Hordichuk to find room for the six-foot-three, 215-pound Finn.

If coach Tom Renney keeps 14 forwards to start the year, how does he find a place for Hartikainen? On left wing, there's Taylor Hall, Smyth, Magnus Paajarvi and Eager.

Down the middle, it looks like Sam Gagner, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Shawn Horcoff and Belanger with Anton Lander and Gilbert Brule contesting the position. While it's not guaranteed Nugent-Hopkins will be here beyond nine games, I don't see Hartikainen in the middle.

On the right side. it stacks up as Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Linus Omark and Ryan Jones, no?

At this point, Hartikainen projects as a bottom-six forward, so who from the mix of Paajarvi and Eager, Horcoff and Belanger or Omark and Jones does he displace?

NO HURRY

I'm not talking about trying to fast-track Hartikainen. Despite how he looked at the end of last season, a dozen NHL games doesn't give fans or coaches a clear or complete picture. He is, again, only 21. But, like I said, what I saw last season left me wanting more.

Contract situations and waiver considerations being what they are, it looks like those who feel the same way, like Hartikainen, will have to wait, unless he so clearly outperforms somebody ahead of him, there's no choice but to keep him.

Even if he does, we've seen how that often doesn't change the pre-determined pecking order going into training camp and pre-season -- think Omark a year ago -- that is laid out on the organizational chart on the wall in the coaching office at Rexall Place.

My guess is the ETA on Hartikainen is likely closer to January than it is October. That's not necessarily a developmental-derailer or a big blow, assuming somebody takes Hartikainen aside and explains the lay of the land, which obviously wasn't done to Omark's satisfaction a year ago.

Once again, patience is the word of the day.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 yawto
August 25 2011, 09:27PM

Does anybody know how much it'll cost to get "I'm An Oaf" for a namebar on by Oilers jersey?

#2 Dog Train
August 25 2011, 09:29PM

Coming out of last year, I think that most people, myself included figured that Harski as well as Petry were virtual locks for the team coming out of camp. Now that Tambo went out and got some guys who are blocking their paths to the bigs right now, these guys can continue to learn in the minors and understand that nothing is given to them that easily. I think that this will only make these players better in the long run and they will be regular contributors either late next season or from the get-go in 2012-2013. Harski will be a fan favourite for sure.

#3 K-UGER Industrial Smoothing
August 25 2011, 09:30PM

It will cost $59.95. I already got mine.

#4 Tayranchula
August 25 2011, 09:37PM

I dont think it is going to be harmful to Harksi at all if he is sent down. He has only been playing professional hockey in north america for a year. Seasoning a player like this will benefit the Oilers and him in the long run. He is going to rip the farm and be a solid call up and next year could find himself on the big team because there is nothing more to prove at the AHL level. I admire players like Harski and are very excited the Oilers have a prospect like this. But in saying that I would rather have a bottom 6 foward more than ready to play in the NHL, then to have a not proven player at such a young age.

This is a prediction but I see Harksi full time on the Oilers roster next year cause the Oil will have to part with either Omark or Hemsky.

#5 Sean
August 25 2011, 09:38PM

I see Hartikainen as a third line winger, which means in the future this team has to decide between Omark and Hemsky. Eberle would be on the first line, Omark/Hemsky on the second, Teemu on the third and a player like Jones on the fourth.

#6 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
August 25 2011, 09:49PM

Patience is for lawn bowling and golf. I'm so sick of hearing this word now.....and to be only half way into this rebuild, it's a damn good thing Smytty's back to distract us from reality.

#7 gongshow
August 25 2011, 10:00PM

I loved what Teemu brought to the table in his stint last year. Both he and Linus helped keep my interest for a few games there.

Can someone help a brother out - I cannot figure out who's standing behind TH in the picture. Am I on crack?

#8 David Staples
August 25 2011, 10:01PM

Good points here.

Too much depth at forward but not enough depth on defence and in goal?

To me that signals a trading opporunity/necessity.

Crazy to deal Harsky, IMO, as I love his game, too, but all kinds of vets could be on block.

#9 justDOit
August 25 2011, 10:14PM

@Next up, is Connor McJesus.

Yes, ST should have dealt prospects & picks for Bogosian and signed Brad Richards to the NHL maximum for 50 yrs. That's a proven strategy.

Harski will be back soon, and like Omark, he'll be better for it. Until then, he's a temporary victim of the NHL numbers game.

'They' say that ST has been in numerous talks with various teams throughout the summer, and I'll be surprised if we don't see some roster moves before December. Until then, we still have the injury bug to provide open roster spots.

#10 YFC Prez
August 25 2011, 10:24PM

*wy whacky prediction...We see Hartikainen after the deadline when Hemsky is traded for a quality D-man to shore up the problems the oil will have in the backend. Can Hartikainen play on the right side?

*I don't think I have ever had any prediction pan out, EVER

#11 SLURVE
August 25 2011, 10:37PM

I don't think Hordichuk will be playing that much perhaps there is room for Hartikainen. The Oilers have been injured more often than not since 2006, if so, Hartik could find some playing time.

#12 @NateInVegas
August 25 2011, 10:44PM

-Fraser/Foster +Hordichuck/Sutton

They average 58 and 49 games respectively over the last 5 years. There will be time for Harksi & Petry with the Oilers this season.

#13 natedoo22
August 25 2011, 10:46PM
gongshow wrote:

The youngin' behind Harskie is none other than Chris VandeVelde.

Robin, I agree with you entirely based on the fact Harskie brought exactly what this team needed but I too see no space on this current depth chart.

#14 Pucker
August 25 2011, 11:04PM
natedoo22 wrote:

The youngin' behind Harskie is none other than Chris VandeVelde.

no no - not VV

I think he's talking about the cute blonde. I think it's Laura Dern.

#15 Wanyes bastard child
August 25 2011, 11:13PM
Pucker wrote:

no no - not VV

I think he's talking about the cute blonde. I think it's Laura Dern.

Are you on glue? Thats clearly Tom Renney eh.

#16 Bleak Winter
August 25 2011, 11:27PM
Pucker wrote:

no no - not VV

I think he's talking about the cute blonde. I think it's Laura Dern.

Oh man. If "cute blonde" = "Laura Dern", we Oiler fans really are stuck in 1985!

#17 loosemoose
August 25 2011, 11:30PM

thanks for the laugh Robin...too much depth!* *that's what she said

#18 Oilcruzer
August 26 2011, 12:13AM
Pucker wrote:

no no - not VV

I think he's talking about the cute blonde. I think it's Laura Dern.

She's not blonde! Look at the brows.

#19 Saytalk
August 26 2011, 04:05AM

I would rather see Hartakainen make the Oilers roster and then have Omark get sent down, for the main reason that Hartakainen is a lot closer to being a quality bottom-6 forward than Omark is to being a passable top-6. Omark needs more development work at the AHL level for his projected role.

#20 jake
August 26 2011, 04:47AM
Saytalk wrote:

I believe Omark has his out clause (2nd year of his 2 year deal), meaning if he doesn't make the big team, he can bolt back to Europe if he so chooses. Someone may correct me on this.

I liked the Ryan Jones signing initially, now not so sure, especially the 2 year term, with Hartikainnen's path a little blocked with all the bodies.

#21 Aitch
August 26 2011, 05:02AM

@SLURVE

I dunno... I'd rather have Hordichuk in the press box than Hartikainen.

#22 yawto
August 26 2011, 05:30AM
yawto wrote:

Does the moderator who decided it would be funny to modify my quote for no apparent reason want to explain. You tell us to post as if our mother was looking over your shoulder. Would your mom approve of modifying a comment to become a self insult for no apparent reason. I understand the internet is a nameless place but I find it extremely insulting that someone controlling this site is modifying comments for no reason.

#24 book¡e
August 26 2011, 07:41AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

While your mother may approve of fisting, there will be none of it attached to items I write. Established and spelled out long ago, like it or not.

Now, pull your insulted self together, accept it or not and move on.

I thought it was ok to fist as long as it was part of a witty sentence, no?

#25 TrentonL
August 26 2011, 07:42AM

I'd play Hartikainen ahead of Jones any day of the week. Unfortunately the "Wonder GM" decided to give Jones $1.5 million effectively guaranteeing a roster spot.....

#26 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
August 26 2011, 08:12AM

"Hartski" = is now officially the most overated player in Oilerfanland.

#27 MrCondor
August 26 2011, 08:20AM

We should have more talented players than NHL roster spots. That's what good organizations want.

#28 YFC Prez
August 26 2011, 08:23AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

"Hartski" = is now officially the most overated player in Oilerfanland.

well show me the way to "oilerfanland". His dozen games last season left me wanting to see more...MUCH more.

#29 mayorpoop
August 26 2011, 08:33AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

"Hartski" = is now officially the most overated player in Oilerfanland.

that is only until the next post referencing any other player on the roster or in the farm or that could be drafted or that was just born and shows potential.

#30 Robin Brownlee
August 26 2011, 08:34AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

"Hartski" = is now officially the most overated player in Oilerfanland.

How so?

#31 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
August 26 2011, 08:43AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

How so?

Fan comments (here and elsewhere) already talking about how this guy or that guy needs to be moved to *make room* for Hartikanen, or how he's already better then XYZ proven NHL'er.

#32 Robin Brownlee
August 26 2011, 08:49AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

That kind of talk is premature. If Hartikainen forces the issue through camp, pre-season and after he, inevitably, gets sent to OKC, then the Oilers will have to take a look.

If the situation is framed the right way -- "Kid, you're in the plans but we have too many guys ahead of you right now, so be patient and show us what you've got" -- and he responds, he'll be fine. He's 21.

#33 Dman09
August 26 2011, 08:51AM

@TrentonL

ST may be able to use Jones, especially if he has another decent season, in a package to get a top D man. Jones and Chorney or Plante maybe some picks. Maybe Smid, Jones, second rounder for a top D and if you need to sweeten the pot you add Plante or Chorney if the player your trading for or extra picks added is worth it.

#34 vetinari
August 26 2011, 08:59AM
David Staples wrote:

Good points here.

Too much depth at forward but not enough depth on defence and in goal?

To me that signals a trading opporunity/necessity.

I agree with David, the Oilers finally have a tradeable commodity-- depth at forward that can hopefully be moved for some quality defencemen and/or a 1A or 1B goalie. Until Hemsky signs a new deal, he is obviously the most tradeable commodity but Brule and Horc (if the latter was willing to waive his no trade clause) could also be trade candidates.

I want to see Hartikainen in the big's sooner rather than later because he actually brought the pain every game. Rather than look at the depth chart in the way presented in the article, look at it this way-- imagine a third/fourth line with Hartikainen/Belanger/Jones on it? Wouldn't that be an ugly line to play against and could actually score some goals in a depth role?

#35 Clay
August 26 2011, 09:07AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Now, pull your insulted self together, accept it or not and move on.

I wish all the bloggers at ON would take this stand!

#36 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
August 26 2011, 09:13AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Exactly, these guys will get there shot when injuries happen. No sense jamming rookies into the line-up at this point.

#37 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
August 26 2011, 09:15AM
Dman09 wrote:

I don't think Plante or Chorney should ever be used in the same sentence as "sweeten the pot"

#38 Dman09
August 26 2011, 09:23AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Ya but its those little things that make the deals happen or a low draft pick.

#39 LOIL
August 26 2011, 09:37AM

Please stop calling the players by their nick names like you know them. Its quite sad...

#40 Talbot17
August 26 2011, 09:40AM

Hartski overrated in Oilerland? Thats the dumbest thing I have heard in this thread by far. What other Oiler 3rd line- ish forward in the last 5 years gave you that much excitement and desire to see more then Hartski did last season?

He is the unique piece they needed thats going to push himself to the limit everynight and players feed off that energy in tight games, something the Oilers have become acccustomed to being on the wrong side in most cases.

Hemsky reminds me of that laptop you bought a couple years back, worked great, always was doing its purpose and then suddenly it needed a repair here and repair there, to the point now you can almost count on it breaking down again sooner then later. Then there is someone who wants to buy the 'computer' off of you for almost full price and you say to yourself, k i got to make this deal. Its getting to that point IMO with Hemsky, he has got to be traded this deadline for a D man cause frankly i think that is the unique piece to the puzzle. You know that guy is going to be injured again lol its sad but unfortunately true

#41 Shane
August 26 2011, 09:41AM
LOIL wrote:

I hate it when people say this..When you watch 82 games a year, for years and spend money on jerseys/tickets/beers/hats/stickers/t-shirts/decals for your car. Not to mention grow up loving this team and say the names a thousand times, I think your allowed to shorten the name like "the boys" do. That's just my excuse but Robin actually talks to and gets to know these guys..

#42 Shane
August 26 2011, 09:41AM
LOIL wrote:

Oops. Double post

#43 LOIL
August 26 2011, 09:45AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Now, pull your insulted self together, accept it or not and move on.

Amen. The whole "fist" phenomenon is completely unfunny. And the fact that guys on here think it is makes most with any sense of humour shake their heads...

#44 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
August 26 2011, 09:46AM
Talbot17 wrote:

Like I said, overated.

#45 WeepForTheSin
August 26 2011, 09:48AM

We finally have a lineup that isn't filled to the brim with rookies and people want to trade our few veteran players to insert more?

I loved what I saw from Harski, but it was 12 games at the end of the season playing against teams that had already made the playoffs or were already eliminated from the playoffs (mostly). The intensity of competition wasn't quite normal.

Plus, he was getting more ice time than I'd expect him to get on the fourth line this year, so his 5 points in 12 games may be misleading.

There is nothing wrong with him in the AHL for the whole season this year. That means we are finally starting to improve.

#46 mayorpoop
August 26 2011, 09:51AM
LOIL wrote:

first off i will state i am in the anti-f!st movement, as in i don't f!st.

you know what tho...i don't really care if others do. your version of humour and someone else's may completley different (obviously is), so let it be.

f!st all you want people of the nation and i will just skip by the thread if i don't enjoy.

lastly, robin can do whatever the heck he wants (and will) with f!sters...when you are the boss you can do that.

#47 Milhouse Van Ched
August 26 2011, 09:55AM

I too would like to see more of Hartikainen this season. Horcoff will probably spend half the season injured again, shoveling his neigbour's driveway (D. Katz), thus earning his lucrative Oilers salary. So there will be openings on the roster for Hartikainen if he doesn't make the cut coming out of camp.

#48 VegasOilerFan
August 26 2011, 10:02AM

I love Hartakainen but would rather see him get top 6 minutes on the farm this year than sit on the 4th line getting little quality playing time. Like most Oilers fans I have bought into the "rebuild" and am willing to wait one more year before Hartakainen tears it up on the 3rd line for the Oilers. Same goes for RNH if he isn't ready.

#49 BigDawg
August 26 2011, 10:05AM

We have been crying for years for guys to earn spots.. This is the perfect situation for all involved...including RNH... Depth.. maybe.. but the harder peeps work for a spot the better we will all be... The badge isnt handed to you.. you have to earn it..

#50 etownman
August 26 2011, 10:06AM

@David Staples

Hemsky's contract situation will play into this as well. I think Eberle is a lock for one RW top six spot & the other top two RW spot will be between Hemmer & Omark. Hartikainen, Jones & Hordichuk (when needed) are exactly what the Oil need for the bottom six wing positions. The beauty about Harski & Jones is that they can move up & down the line up as well without hurting the team!