WHERE WERE YOU?

Jason Gregor
August 09 2011 12:31PM

Twenty three years ago today Oiler fans and the hockey world was stunned when the Edmonton Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings along with Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelnyski for $15 million in cash, Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas and first rounders in 1989, 1991 and 1993. The Oilers traded the '89 pick to the Devils, but they selected Martin Rucinsky in 1991 and Nick Stajduhar in 1993.

It was a dark day in Oilersnation.

This site was born in 2007 when the Oilers traded Ryan Smyth. Wanye was so pissed, sad, devastated and filled with tears when the Mullet left that he decided to bond his other crushed Oiler breathren by launching Oilersnation.com.

Could you imagine what little Wanye would have done in 1988 if he knew how to type or tie his shoes. Okay he still can barely tie his shoes, but I can only imagine what his twisted mind would have conjured up in the following weeks.

WHERE WERE YOU?

I was 15 and I vividly remember sitting on Darren McKenna's couch in Beaumont watching the press conference in shock. Back then there was no Internet, twitter or cell phones, but word of his trade spread like wild fire. I was a diehard fan at the time, and I wanted to kill Peter Pocklington.

I didn't cry, but I sure felt empty inside. We watched the presser and didn't say a word. I think we were literally in shock. How could they trade "Wayner?"

I can honestly say that the Gretzky trade changed how I looked at sports. I still got excited in 1990 when the Oilers won the Cup, but after the Gretzky trade I don't think I ever felt the same trust towards sports. I was young and I remember feeling so betrayed. When Mark Messier and even my all-time favourite player, Glenn Anderson, got traded I wasn't as upset.

The Gretzky trade jaded my loyalty. I realized then that it was a business and since then I've never felt that the loyalty from players/teams was equal to the loyalty that fans show the players/teams.

Don't get me wrong I love sports. The raw emotion on the ice, the unbridled passion off of it from bloggers, posters, listeners makes my life very exciting, but the fan in me died a bit that day, and I've never felt the same since.

Where were you when Gretz got traded? How did that trade impact you?

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#101 pelhem grenville
August 10 2011, 06:29PM
Senator Theo wrote:

Whoa - comment #99 on this thread.

...i give you the first of 99 props

oh... and the hundred and fist comment

#102 Rusty
August 10 2011, 06:36PM

My Dad had season tickets back then, I was fortunate enough to see live games from 1985-90. Watching the Oil and Gretzky through my early childhood was special. I cried when pops told me what happened. Lost my love of hockey after the Moose left. Will always hate Peter puck. Found love again when Smyth was drafted. Stopped when the Oilers Turned there backs on him. Stopped watching until Hall arrived. Now I realize how special it was to see the "Boys on the Bus" do their thing. I have that passion again, listening to radio games, watching ever game I can and filling my house with the memories of the best hockey team in my lifetime. Hoping that my kids will see some resemblance of that team in the future.

#103 BigDog
August 10 2011, 06:43PM

@17Kurri

I was living in England at the time and my father telephoned me from Edmonton in the middle of the night to tell me. When the phone first rang (with that short double ring) and woke me, my first thoughts were: something is wrong ... At one level I was relieved it was 'only' the news that Gretzky had been sold to Los Angeles, but the next day it sunk in what a bummer it was.

#104 MapleLeafer
August 10 2011, 06:56PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Your burn was old news and unimaginative. Come up with something the average Calgarian doesnt say on a daily basis while finding ways to forget their club's bleak future and underwhelming present.

Oilers fans living in the past? ~Ive never heard that before.~

Hey it fit the bill so I said it. That comment you directed at me had little to no affect on me. I'm a Leafs supporter if you couldn't gather that from my name. And if the Flames fans say that about you on a daily basis it must be true. You've heard it time and time again because its true. And now you look to the future... weren't you guys bragging about Cogliano and Gagne? How'd that pan out for you guys? You guys finished last 2 times in a row, you better have some good prospects to speak of! In the Flames defense, they have no problem attracting free agents (unlike deEdmonton) so they can build through free agency, like they have been doing for the last few years. Not everyone needs to tank their team to rebuild. Edmonton Oilers, model for success?...Hardly. Other teams strive and drive for the cup, your team thinks the 1st overall pick is the ultimate goal. GO Grezk... oh wait he left you guys a long time ago... get over it!!

#105 positivebrontefan
August 11 2011, 08:34AM
MapleLeafer wrote:

Oh, Calgary has done great attracting free agents, so good in fact that they are a less than mediocre CAP team. That is a sign of a place that does not do a good job of drafting but does a great job of attracting overpriced underachieving free agents.

Don't get me wrong, for a few years the Oilers could do neither and as a result finished last twice in a row...

And the Leafs? At least we have a glorious past that some people are still young enough to remember. Recent history has the Oilers in 5 playoff series as well as the Leafs with 5 in the last ten years. We won't talk about the last five years that would hurt for both of us...in different ways.

#106 Harlie
August 12 2011, 09:23AM
Rusty wrote:

wow, your legs must be sore.

From jumping on and off the bandwagon so much.