REMEMBERING 9/11/01

Wanye
September 11 2011 09:59AM

Ten years ago today we were sitting at the breakfast table getting ready to match wits with a class at the U of A. The entire family was watching BBC News when they announced that a plane had accidentally crashed into the World Trade Center. As they cut to live footage and commentary, it was a matter of minutes until we saw the second plane crash into the second tower live.

It's odd when one witnesses something of that magnitude, the mind remembers the strangest things as things are happening so fast. We can recall the commentator on TV going completely quiet as the plane hit the second tower and several seconds of silence on the air.

We recall being struck by how serious things must have just gotten that the News Anchor has been struck completely silent. The rest of the day was a blur but the scariest thing we heard that entire awful day was the sound of on air silence and that memory will stay with us for a long, long time.

In the 10 years since it hasn't gotten any easier to wrap our brains around what happened that day.

This is a place of hockey and nonsensery and not the place for any in depth 9-11 coverage. But we would be remiss on the 10th anniversary of that terrible morning if we didn't put something up in tribute to all of the men and women that lost a loved one, a co-worker or their very lives that morning.

Leave some comments of where you were 10 years ago today if you feel so inclined.

#neverforget

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 YFC Prez
September 11 2011, 10:08AM

In a mall in Calgary, there was about 150 people lined up outside an electronics store watching the TV. I knew something was up but never expected to see something of that magnitude. I've never felt that uneasy before or since. RIP all the souls lost that day

#2 freeze
September 11 2011, 10:20AM

I was in Australia. I awoke on September 12th to the chaos back home. I had just stumbled downstairs in time to watch the second tower fall. It was odd to have something hit so close to home yet to be on the other side of the world. It had a strong impact on the Australians though and we listened to radio reports all day at work.

#3 Robin Brownlee
September 11 2011, 10:29AM

I had CNN on in my sunroom as I was getting ready to drive out to Sherwood Park for the first day of Oilers training camp. I saw the news report on the tube and thought there had been a terrible accident at the WTC.

I was watching the coverage when the second plane hit. I remember muttering, "Oh no" and feeling disbelief, then confusion at the realization this was no accident. Why? Who?

The morning became a blur after that as I clicked into reporter mode. Traded calls with Todd Marchant, whose brother Terry commuted to New York from Buffalo daily in the mornings.

I tried to find out who, if anybody, with Oiler connections worked in the area of the WTC etc. Later, I heard about Garnet Bailey and Mark Bavis. Felt sick. I remember thinking, 'I bet Ace fought them. No way he sat still for this.' I was angry.

I was writing with tears in my eyes when I saw footage of people leaping from the towers and I flat-out cried like a baby when the first tower eventually came down. I couldn't put context or sense to anything I was seeing.

I will never, ever forget that day. How could you?

#4 Vintage Flame
September 11 2011, 10:39AM

I remember I was playing an early morning game of Hockey in Calgary.

This guy came late and sat on the bench, was quiet at first, didn't say a word. All of a sudden he turns to us and says, "So a plane hit the World Trade Center." He paused.

We said, "And..."

Then he said, ".. and then another one did."

We looked at him and said, "You know, if this a joke, you are really bad at telling them.."

He cut us off, and said that it wasn't a joke.. I remember everyone on the ice and both benches just stopping. We all filed off the ice and asked the rink to open the lounge even though it was about 9:30...

We all know what happened later over the course of the day. #NeverForget

#5 madjam
September 11 2011, 11:06AM

Was in coffee room when first hit , and remarked what's this a kimakazee pilot ? How can pilot be so stupid as to hit one of those to begin with ? Most everyone in the room felt same way . Laughable , as some thought it was just being staged - a t.v. hoax or something . Back out to work floor only to pop back in to see if fire put out , only to see a second plane hit other building . WAS THIS A JOKE ? Figured there is no way building could collapse , yet had this creepy feeling it might for some reason . Sure enough that's exactly what happened to everyones surprise . Only then did it dawn this was serious and real . It just didn't feel real until the first tower collapsed . Even the collappsing seemed more like a staged demolition than an actual attack of any sort . We all went back to work to finish our duties . Never really sunk in until later that day for almost all of us until lunch break . How could those buildings collapse in that manner - it still felt as though it was a staged demolition at that time . Confusing even to this day , and wonder about a third building that did much the same apparantly on backside of Towers that seems to not get mentioned . Tragic as it turned out few of us comtimplated it was real at first .

#6 unca miltie
September 11 2011, 11:30AM

I was in my car on my way to work when I heard about it on the radio. Phoned my wife and told her to turn on the tv. Continued on to work and listened on the radio at work the rest of the day.

I remember sitting glued to the tv all night that night just in amazement.

fyi. I was in school when Kennedy was shot. We listened to the radio in class all that day too. The two biggest news stories of my lifetime and both on the radio.

#7 upper-deck-drunk
September 11 2011, 11:31AM

I'll never forget my mom banging on my door and me awakening to the scream of them"we're under attack, they're bombing New York." As i woke up and opened the door i knew something was very wrong wheni seen her face. As we rushed up the stairs and just as i turned the corner to see the the tv the second plane hit. I was gutted, couldn't even comprehend what was happening. So many questions. Sitting there and watching as more unexplainable events occurred we received a phone call from my relatives in Ireland. One cousin was enroute to nyc and another lived blocks away from the world trade centre. It hit home when my aunt was in full panic mode. It seemed to become more personal. We found out that my one cousin had landed in Gander and was safe and sound. It wasn't till late at night that my other cousin was found to be alive and well. She works late hours in a Manhattan bar and sleeps most of the day, she amazingly slept right through it. I'll never forget my mothers face that day. R.I.P.

#8 westy
September 11 2011, 11:39AM

I had turned on the news in the morning as I was eating breakfast and getting ready for work. I was in a celebratory mood as I had been hired as a high school social studies teacher exactly one year earlier, then the reports started to come in of an accident involving a plane hitting the WTC tower. I remember thinking this was some idiot in a cesna that either didn't know what he was doing or had a ex-girlfriend working on one of the floors (there had been a guy that flew his cesna into an ex-girlfriends house in Edmonton, I think). Then the second plane hit as reports of the first tower being on fire were coming in.

I remained glued to the TV as the implications of what was happening were becoming clear. I bolted for work, head for my classroom and turned the TV on. What kind of social studies teacher would I have been if I hadn't let my students watch history being made right before them. I remember many of the conversations I had with confused students that day, but the one that I hope they remember is that there aren't very many days in one's life that you can look at and know that from this day forward the entire world will never be the same. September 11, 2001 was certainly one of those days.

#9 Bucknuck
September 11 2011, 11:58AM

I was driving to work, I was dumbstruck. I remember not getting much done that day as I waited to hear news of more attacks.

#10 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
September 11 2011, 12:02PM

I was on my usual crappy drive to NAIT when news started to trickle in about the first plane hitting. As i walked into NAIT, i distinctly recall thinking to myself how weird it was that someone would fly their little 2 seater into a building.

One of my buddies came in, late for class as usual, but this time was different. Classes at NAIT that morning literally stopped, and people gathered around campus wherever they could find a TV or radio. We left early that day, and sat in front of the tv, literally frozen in disbelief.

I feel sorry for all those the people who lost their lives that day, or had friends/family that died.

I do, however, feel a huge sense of pride when i see all the people who rushed into the buildings, or stayed behind to help while literally thousands were running the opposite way. To see people step up and put themselves in that kind of danger without hesitation is, to me, awesome.

--insert soapbox comment referencing Jon Stewart and Denis Leary having it right here--

#11 cconnell
September 11 2011, 12:02PM

I was driving in my service truck when I heard of the first plane hit and I was confused of how that could happen. It wasn't until the second plane hit that we all knew that this was serious. i returned home forgetting work and watched it all unfold on T.V. I remember feeling disbelief about what happened and not understanding how a plane could cause a building to collapse exactly like that on both buildings. It was until years later I heard the truth of the planned demolition. RIP all those souls that were betrayed by the US Government.

#12 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
September 11 2011, 12:19PM

I was at work doing deliveries when I heard the story break. I found a TV in time to see the second plane hit. Needless to say, not much work got done that day.

In the 10 years since the war on terror began, 162 (maybe more, unsure of the true number) Canadian servicemen and women paid the ultimate sacrifice. One of which was my friend. R.I.P. MCpl Ray Arndt.

Al-Qaida tried to strike fear in us. Guess what, THEY FAILED. We have rallied like we were down 3 with 5:00 to go in the 3rd, and we are stronger now than ever before.

God Bless FDNYPD

God Bless the Canadian Armed Forces

#13 madjam
September 11 2011, 12:25PM

Conspiracy theories abound . Was it a staged demolition by mercenaries , etc. ? Strange things with President Bush and Pentagon and/or Whitehouse that followed that day of disbelief. I don't know if i'd put any weight in them . I know i thougth i was watching one of those soap operas when i first saw what was happening . Later on it was obvious we were not .

#14 pelhem grenville
September 11 2011, 12:28PM

6:50 a.m. September 11 2001...I stick my head into my son's bedroom and bark..."Jordy get up...a plane's hit the twin towers in NewYork"...my son had just got back from a tour with his band in August and had been to Manhattan doing the tourist thing after a show with friends there so i thought he needed to see this news on CNN...just as he sat down bleary eyed in the living room the second plane hit the south tower and he yelled W...T..F...!!!Is this some kinda f.....' joke???are they filming a movie there? WTF!!! He immediately got on the phone and called a gf there who lived in the Bronx...they spoke on the phone until the dust and smoke forced her out of her apartment and away from the area...we both stayed glued to the tube all day and into the night...i made breakfast, he napped into the afternoon and we split three big pizzas that evening when his band came over to watch the events replay over and over again...little did i know that nine months and two days later i would have my own personal 9/11 when Jordan, my only child was killed on a dark interstate in Alabama at just before 2am by an impaired driver...watching each morning on 9/11 over these last ten years has always been painful but i'll be having my own ten year anniversary of his death next year in june...i know how all those dads feel about the horrendous loss of their sweet sons & daughters...none of this is easy, thankyou for asking where we all were that morning Wanye, it matters that you care...

#15 Chris.
September 11 2011, 12:30PM

I was on a plant turnaround... Walked right off the job. "This is history. This changes things."

I skipped being shocked and went right to anger.(still am) Ten years later we are still ignoring the uncomfortable truth that almost nothing has been done about the many many militant Wahhabi sects in Saudi Arabia.

#16 oobespoons
September 11 2011, 12:44PM

I had called in to work sick but always being a early riser I was up watching the drama unfold.

After calling my parents to make that they were watching(they weren't)I spent the rest of the day talking to people at work explaining and trying(hopelessly)to describe what had happened.

After seeing it I truely was sick,

#17 pelhem grenville
September 11 2011, 12:48PM
madjam wrote:

...have you seen 'loose change' ?

...the ultimate conspiracy theory...some of it makes me wonder whether George Dubya Bush was at the centre of it all...he, like his dad, is a war monger and when i hear over and over again how sh*t happened prior to 9/11 it makes me think if this War on Terror was all a designed play...

#18 Please take a moment....
September 11 2011, 12:48PM

The subject of 9/11 is in front of us here. If no one questions the motives or methods of our "leaders", then we have become nothing more than a dictatorship., supporting a murderous regime.

How many innocent Afghan and Iraqi lives have been needlessly lost because no one was there to question? How many families have been ripped apart due to the invasion and occupation of a country that the American people allowed?

How many families are grieving due to soldiers that have died (don't forget the beginning of the wars and all of the "friendly fire" casualties) in the shameless and unnecessary wars that followed?

Please. I beg you. Wake up and don't trust what is force-fed to you while sitting in front of your TV.

10 years ago today was a tragedy, and so may lives could have been spared since, if only people such as yourself would allow themselves to look at the world objectively.

Incidents like the one I tried to point out above prove that we can't believe everything blindly.

September 11 2001 was not only the death of 3000 innocent people, police, and firefighters, but also the death of critical thinking.

#19 Please take a moment....
September 11 2011, 12:48PM

#20 Please take a moment....
September 11 2011, 12:53PM

Here is the incident that I refer to in the above quote. Please be able to look objectively. I am sorry to bring it up on the day we are remembering the families and people from this horrible life and world-changing event. If we do not start thinking and questioning, then this great country, and our beloved western culture is already lost.

Google: Operation Northwoods. If you want to copy and paste, here is a link:

As well as a link to the official documents:

And if you only trust MSM, here is a link to an ABC News story:

#21 Gerald R. Ford
September 11 2011, 01:06PM

The night before was Monday Night Football at Shanks (Denver beat the Giants, I believe), and I was still sleeping it off on the couch the next morning, with the TV on. It was set to some Boston channel, and their morning news was on. I vaguely recall, through my headache, the news anchor saying: "Plane crash... New York... attack", and I woke up to the world changed forever. Just weird, thinking how September 10th, everyone's happy, pounding back the brewskis and side dishes, and, September 11th, you're wondering if World War III just started...

#22 Wax Man Riley
September 11 2011, 01:06PM

I came late to the party that day. Due to working nights, I went to bed less than an hour before the first plane hit.

I woke 8 hours later, went downstairs, and my father asked, "Are you watching this?"

I said "no, I just got up."

It took me a few minutes to wrap my head around it. I didn't believe it. I thought it was staged. It looked too much like a movie. As I watched more, the gravity began to hit me: the USA has been attacked. I felt scared. I knew that during my sleep that day, the world had changed more than the New York skyline.

I will never forget the sense of togtherness felt by everyone that I came into contact with that day. We all knew deep down that something had fundamentally changed.

#23 jake
September 11 2011, 01:12PM

Was on a quick holiday to Toronto, enjoying some sleep after a night out having drinks and seeing a Stevie Nicks show. My friend called from work crying, that she had just seen first tower fall in NYC. I hung up, put on the TV and minutes later the 2nd tower came down. Pretty unbelievable. Was supposed to leave the 12th, stuck there until the 14th, and what an eerie feeling at the aiport.

As the day went on, I remember picking up a magazine at the Montreal airport in spring of 1998, and reading this guy's article on this bin laden guy and how direct he was in talking about killing americans, and thought holy sh**, how come nobody is talking about this guy.

#24 schevvy
September 11 2011, 01:19PM

I was in school that day, and I just remember the collective shock from everyone. 3000 people dead . It was unbelievable, who in their right mind would want something like this to happen. And thinking about it now, there could have been even more deaths if it wasn't for the braveness, courage and determination of the passengers on United 93. R.I.P to all the innocent people who died that day.

#25 Wax Man Riley
September 11 2011, 01:20PM
pelhem grenville wrote:

...have you seen 'loose change' ?

Loose Change is a good and very in depth look at the events of 9/11. I recommend it.

Zeitgeist: The Movie is a documentary that changed my life. It changed the way that I looked at the world, and the way that I think about those in power. From 9/11 to our monetary system, it helped to open my eyes.

WARNING: It is extremely slanted and biased (as only a good documentary can be), so watch it with an open mind, and do your own research. Do not take it as the be-all and end-all of truth just as I suggest don't take the evening news as the be-all and end-all as well. I suggest the above documentary as a different way, another option, or an alternative perspective to view the world that has been put up around you.

Edit: they have expanded the movie, so sit past the first 11 minutes. Then it gets started

#26 Wax Man Riley
September 11 2011, 01:23PM

And as far as "Operation Northwoods"....

WTF?!!??!?! Seriously??? If anyone hasn't looked that up yet....

WTF?!?!?! Seriously???

#27 jono
September 11 2011, 01:35PM

I remember cruising in to Mt Royal College, late for class and in a hurry. Seeing dozens of tvs in the main hall outside the library and wondering WTF? Dismissing and walking on only to get halfway past when my rubbernecking eyes see footage of the second plane hitting the towers. I stopped, I watched, I missed that class. I remember the feeling of unease that day, the sense of dread that seemed to pervade the day, and the feeling of some impending doom as to what this will bring.

So many years later and this has impacted the lives of so many. Not just those in the towers that day and their families and friends, but the whole world. Wars were started (or continued depending on your point of view), not only peoples lives but whole countries have been crushed and the world will never be the same.

#28 Emerald
September 11 2011, 02:41PM

Woke up at my regular time and laid in bed as it was my first day of holidays & I planned to do errands before I left the next day. When the second plane hit I jumped out out bed & turned on the TV. Later that day I drove my motorcycle downtown as I had planned previously because I thought I couldn't find parking to pick up my passport. Downtown Calgary was eerily quiet & empty with some people not showing up or being sent home. On the way home I stopped in behind the airport to see the 27 planes that were redirected due to the closed airspace. It was also eerily quiet & yet crowded. In 2004 when I went to NYC, I met a person who was late to work that day at the WTC and was stuck on the subway... I wish RIP for those departed & and some semblance of peace to those that still live with the tragic memories.

#29 Clarence Oveur
September 11 2011, 02:59PM

It's impossible to forget where I was on that Tuesday morning: I was a 15 year-old high school sophomore watching the movie Lorenzo's Oil in Biology class. An announcement came over the public address from our Principal, asking all of the teachers to tune in to one of the news channels. It was surreal, like watching a movie. The only reason I didn't break down and weep was because it truly felt like it was something out of Hollywood, I couldn't begin to comprehend the magnitude of what I was watching.

On another note: as an American now living and studying in Ottawa, I have to thank Canadians collectively for their compassion throughout this entire weekend. I watched several programs last night on CBC and CTV chronicling the 10th anniversary of those events. I've also had conversations with several people who have shared their most heartfelt memories of 9/11/01, one of whom spoke candidly about the loss of his mother to the terrorist acts of the Air India 182 bombing.

I think that I speak for every American when I say that I'm proud to call you an ally and a friend.

#30 Mike
September 11 2011, 03:26PM

I got up to leave for work, hopped in my car and began driving. I was living in Edmonton at the time and had K-Rock playing on the radio. One of the DJ's said something along the lines of "this is certainly the biggest news story I've ever covered.." but at that moment I put a CD in and listened to some punk rock for the entire 45-min drive, oblivious to what was happening in NYC. I get to work, sat at my desk and of course everyone is talking about it frantically. I spent the next 3 days hitting refresh every 5 seconds on CNN.com and briefly rallied behind George W. Bush the one and only time.

#31 Dale
September 11 2011, 04:38PM

I was living with relatives in Calgary and had taken the day off as we were going to Edmonton for my uncle's funeral. I woke up and went downstairs to see my relatives glued to the tv. I asked what was wrong and they pointed at the tv and said a plane hit the WTC. I didn't believe them. We sat and watched both buildings come down. It was a weird feeling that day mourning my uncle and also trying to comprehend the events.

#32 Professor Fatbot, PhD
September 11 2011, 05:04PM

I was eating cereal the morning of my grade 9 picture day before jumping on the bus, saw the first plane's aftermath and then almost choked on my spoon as the second plane hit.

After that, I got on the bus for the hour-plus ride to school, and it seemed like at each stop another person got on with some other piece of news.

I got to school, had my picture taken and then went to PE, at which point Bob Rutz told us the world was coming to an end and there would be no gym class that day, so we spent the rest of the morning watching everything. I went to my two classes that afternoon, and on the way out of the school my day was capped off by watching WTC7 collapse.

It won't be long 'til the "War on Terror" has lasted half of my lifetime.

@pelhem grenville - As soon as you posted the date and your son's first name I recognized the story of your son as "The Year Summer Ended in June."

#33 Hockey_Inc
September 11 2011, 05:11PM

I just showed up at work. I walked into the parade room where other members of my squad were also just arriving. The TV was on and no one was talking. I watched as the first tower burned, and the second was hit, then both towers falling... said a prayer and hit the street, we were late relieving the night shift but they were inside watching tv with us. It was an eerie feeling all day waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Held my family close that night. It still makes me shudder the anger, callousness and evil that those innocent people faced on those planes before they died.

#34 DonovanMD
September 11 2011, 06:08PM

I was about 17 and in grade 11, my brother was about 4 and at 750ish I was getting ready to leave for school and he said, "How come the same show is on every channel?" I scolded him and was like, "Just stay on one of them damn it" and started watching. I didn't have cable and ITV, CTV, Achannel, were all running the CNN feed I believe it was.

I saw the 2nd plane hit live and was like WTF, realising it couldnt have been an accident.

On the way to school I listened to the usual KRock morning show with Terry Bill and Steve (I just looked on the website, they're back together? Cool) and it was strange to hear them so somber and just relaying what they were watching. When the towers came down they described what it looked like.

#35 Dog Train
September 11 2011, 06:08PM

I was still grade school and the first plane crash happened shortly before I woke up. I was maybe a bit young to truly understand at the time what had happened but the aftermath of 9/11/01 has lasted basically half of my lifetime.

#36 Dano0049
September 11 2011, 06:41PM

Like the assassinations of Lincoln, JFK, Dr. Martin Luther King jr, and RFK, everyone remembers where they were when they heard of or saw on TV (or live for those tragic New Yorkers)the attacks on the World Trade Centers on Sept 11, 2001. I am not close to being old enought to remember any of first assassinations but I sure remember where I was on Sept 11. I was eating cereal at my Mom's house, getting ready for my second day of classes at the U of C. We were watching the morning news when a breaking news report came in and the anchor looks at the camera and says that a plane has crashed into the North tower of the World Trade Center. They cut to live footage and the horrifying image of the burning north tower comes on for the first time. As I sat there with my spoon halfway between my bowl and my mouth, I yelled to my Mom, "HEY MA! SOME IDIOT JUST FLEW HIS PLANE INTO ONE OF THE WORLD TRADE CENTER BULDINGS!!" Obviously nobody knew that the worst was yet to come. While watching, a second plane came into the picture and my Mom and I both took a deep breath as we watched it slam into the South tower. We looked at each other speechless and in shock at what we and the world just witnessed. The idea that this was no accident crept in.

I went and picked up my then girlfriend, now wife, and drove us to university listening to the radio coverage as snipits of information slowly rolled in. I will always remember the shocked silence all over campus and how by the time my first class was over there were crowds of people, eight or more deep, sitting around TVs that had been pulled out and put into large open areas. The crowds weren't moving or talking, just sitting there glued to the tragedy unfolding infront of them. Every where on campus there were TVs and crowds of 20, and in many cases more, watching and updating people as they walk by. The memory of those crowds and the silence still gives me chills.

Watching the opening for Sunday Night Football right now, NY Jets vs. Dallas Cowboys in NY, and thinking to myself how in the world has it been ten, TEN!! years since that fateful, horrible, tragic day?? The memories of the plane striking the towers and the Twin Towers falling still gives me chills to this day.

RIP to all those that lost their lives that day and in the wars that followed, and best wishes, thoughts and condolences to all those they left behind.

#37 Oilcruzer
September 11 2011, 07:25PM

My daughter came out of her room saying some idiot ran their plane into the World Trade Center. Expecting another Cessna Suicide, we realized this was a bigger aircraft as we all watched on CNN. Suddenly, the second impact occurred. One of my kids trailed off "what the..."

A brief pause and then it was obvious. I said, "this is no accident."

Fast forward to the close ups of the fire fighters marching en masse to the scene, up the stairs, wondering how many they could save...

Fast forward to the sudden collapse. Those faces of those shown earlier, bravely marching to save others, now forever lost, their images burned into my brain.

The shock of those walking, not speaking, out of Manhatten, covered in greyish tan ash...

Today, I am happy to give up a few civil liberties to maintain a fight for a greater cause.

I complain less about basically everything, as really, nothing is ever as important as we imagine it.

The duty as I see it is to preserve and protect our individual AND national freedoms and liberties. The costs in time, money, and contributions, at any level or scale, to move forward and fight this battle, pales in comparison to what we will lose if the other side succeeds.

Evil, at any level, must be dealt with proactively, swiftly, and severely.

And those who put their lives on the line for that cause have my full support, admiration, and indebtedness.

#38 Oilcruzer
September 11 2011, 07:59PM

@Please take a moment....

Your rambling is incoherent.

Your point is invalid.

Wait, I take that back. You didn't formulate a valid point.

Fail.

While powerful nations are known to make decisions, and those details or in fact the entire agenda may be made out of the scope of the public's knowledge, the fact that there are secret agendas and operations occurring around the world, is already um... public knowledge.

In cases where those officials are elected, we hope that those we put in power are making the right choices.

So...? If your family had their life on the line, and your opponent is breaking all the rules, would you play a game to win, or would you play by the rules?

I don't want to know the answer. Tell your family.

#39 Racki
September 11 2011, 08:00PM

I was attending NAIT during that time. Oddly, I slept in that morning and arrived late to school.. say around 11:00 or noon ish. When I got there, everyone was asking me what it was like to see "it" all live. I had no idea what they were talking about. Not my best of stories.. ;)

#40 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 11 2011, 08:14PM

The courage shown by the FDNY firefighters when they ran into those buildings literally gives me chills. It still does, actually. I try to put myself in their shoes that day: blindly rushing into a flaming skyscraper with no thought to your own safety, just to try to save as many strangers as you can. I've got goosebumps as I type this, jeez.

Those firefighters and paramedics deserve full health coverage for free, including any treatment needed whether it's related to 9/11 or not. I remember seeing a clip where hundreds of firefighters and paramedics were streaming towards the rubble a few days later, still searching for survivors, and in the crowd that gathered to cheer them, one woman was holding a sign that simply said "You are our heroes." That resonated with me, and I'll remember it until the day I die.

#41 jake
September 11 2011, 11:32PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

"Those firefighters and paramedics deserve full health coverage for free, including any treatment needed whether it's related to 9/11 or not"

Interesting, I was watching CBC today and the anchor interviewed one of 4 Brampton Ontario firefighters who went down late on the day of Sept. 11 and helped at the pile.......those 4 are getting "free health care"....

Many firefighters would have been saved (would have turned around and got out) as I understand their radios were dysfunctional.

#42 Get Over it
September 12 2011, 09:01AM

OMG, everywhere you go 9/11 this and 9/11 that.

#43 Wax Man Riley
September 12 2011, 06:39PM
Oilcruzer wrote:

Your rambling is incoherent.

Your point is invalid.

Wait, I take that back. You didn't formulate a valid point.

Fail.

I don't want to know the answer. Tell your family.

You're right, the public doesn't need to know anything the government does with the money we pay them as taxes. What they do has no bearing on our lives at all.

Why even vote. Let the government do whatever it wants without having to answer to the public.

It is just fine to look the other way and sit on the couch watching hockey while bombs are being dropped on innocent civilians for things that they had no part in. It would be like someone killing your family in retaliation to a bank robbery in Brazil.

Sure, it is also OK that it is now public knowlegde that the American government has made plans to lie to the public about ficticious events in order to trick them into supporting a war. I'm sure that is the only time that has happened and they would never want to mislead the public in order to push through legislation that allows them to kill people and have individuals make millions, if not billions profit off of it. Gulf of Tonkin? Lucitania?

This is the type of apathy that is so abundant in society today that it makes me sick. It is the thought that those in power are smarter than us, so we don't need to know what is really going on.

Is this is how you think? That the people in power are smarter than us, so we don't need to know or have a say in what goes on. It sounds like this is how you think.

I'll tell you my answer. I don't blindly support. I don't support any of the wars. I ask questions like "Why did they want to attack America?" and "This has to be in response to something. Maybe we should look at the root problem and try to solve the problem instead of bombing entire countries?"

In my opinion, your comment is devoid of a point. Your point is blindness and apathy are ignorance, and ignorance is bliss. If it doesn't directly affect me, it isn't worth thinking about.

#44 Wax Man Riley
September 12 2011, 06:56PM

And yes, speaking up and speaking out is doing something. I may never be Prime Minister, but I can make my opinios heard when and where I want, and maybe, just maybe, I can get someone to speak up as well.

I view it as if someone beside me has just made a racist comment, and instead of letting it slide I speak up.

Just yesterday I was asked how many coloured people live in this building. I told them it didn't matter. That should have no bearing on their decision of whether to buy here. I lost a sale and made an awkward moment, but I can't just sit there when someone is looking at me to validate their prejudices.

Just as I can't sit there and not talk about what is going on because I may be labeled anti-American, or anti-Patriotic. Don't be so quick to buy in.