September 03 2011 09:12AM
Judging by the leaves on the ground and the slow growing lawn the surrounds my house, we are entering the early stages of fall. Good weather remains in the distance, but it's probably time to find the fall coats. Oh, and hockey's back!
This is Martin Gernat. There's some buzz about him already, as the Edmonton Oiler draft pick prepares for his season with the Oil Kings in the WHL. Oiler and Oil King fans have a chance to see some hockey this weekend in St. Albert as the Oil Kings hold their 5th annual pre-season invitational starting Sunday in St. Albert at Servus Place (details are here). I'm not certain of the rosters, but the WHL teams include the Oil Kings, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Calgary, Swift Current and Prince George. I do know that Gernat, Kristians Pelss and Travis Ewanyk are on the Oil King roster for the tournament.
This is Anton Lander. He's one of the featured players who will be at the Oilers rookie camp. A week from now we'll be talking about the rookie tournament and the kids who will follow in the footsteps of last season's historic group and then join regular camp the following week.
Among the prospects of interest at the rookie camp:
- Goalies Olivier Roy and Tyler Bunz. A new "JDD versus DD" challenge is set to roll out over the next couple of seasons and this might be a good chance to gauge the race.
- Defensemen Colten Tuebert and David Musil look to have good camps, and Martin Marincin begins a season in which he'll want to be more consistent. College man Taylor Fedun is a defender to keep your eye on, he's an older prospect who could emerge quickly in an organization that could use some good news at the position.
- Forwards provide tons of star appeal again this season. Nugent-Hopkins, Anton Lander and Ryan Martindale will be the feature centers, and the wingmen can boast Curtis Hamilton, Tyler Pitlick, Toni Rajala (possibly the only chance to see him all year for Oiler fans) and a Finn with grit named Antti Tyrvainen.
Nation Radio is back today at noon and it's a jam packed episode. Scheduled to appear:
- Julian from Pension Plan Puppets. We'll discuss Wade Belak's career and his impact on teammates, fans and the communities he played in. We'll try to discuss the issue of depression without getting ahead of the story (as it is still developing).
- Ted Wyman from the Winnipeg Sun. We'll discuss the Dustin Byfuglien's boating career, the city of Winnipeg and building excitement there and ask about Zack Bogosian's availability.
- Cam Moon from the Red Deer Rebels. We'll talk about RNH and his chances of making the Oilers, and I'll also ask about rookie camp invite Brett Ferguson.
- Corey Graham from the Edmonton Oil Kings: PBP man will give us an update on the Oil Kings and specifically young Oiler pick Martin Gernat. There's a buzz about him and Corey will fill us in.
- Rob Soria from Oil Drop. During the first 26 or show Nation Radio shows I've tried to feature many of the established Oiler blogs. Rob is the first of the "newer" blogs we'll profile and if we have time (Rob's a busy guy) we'll talk about Oil Drop.
Questions and comments welcome at email@example.com and the show goes noon to 2pm Edmonton Time on Team 1260 radio.